PDA

View Full Version : A new and better FBS thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

tony
09-30-2014, 12:00 PM
The other one just turned into a flame war. I'll remove stuff from this one if it gets to that. Please keep this one on topic (I'll do my part, if you give me time.)

Posts that aren't on-topic will be deleted.

MankatoBison
09-30-2014, 02:05 PM
when the P5 split, we wont be in the "3rd tier", or the FCS as it is known now. But who else from the FCS would join us? I think there'd actually be a good chunk that would- MAYBE even enough for our own conference!

Select members of Big Sky and Missouri Valley who would want a higher level of competition, would probably make the move together. If we were to combine our conferences, we could also potentially have an East and West division that could look a something like this:

West:
Eastern Washington
Montana
Montana State
Northern Arizona
Southern Utah

East:
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
Youngstown State
Missouri State
University of North Dakota

Even if we're just dreaming, who doesn't think this would be fun haha??

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Whew great news guys.

The pitching count is back to 0-0. No strikes NO BALLS!!

I would just like to keep my opening marks brief:

I am convinced with this years team and the last 3 that NDSU wins the mountain west or Mac 2 of the 4 years and would be highly successful in FBS especially with additional 22 full rides. I see the FCS as land of nobodies especially with GSU APPY st gone (and others). We already dominated this stage, time to pump it up.

MNLonghorn10
09-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Whew great news guys.

I am convinced with this years team and the last 3 that NDSU wins the mountain west or Mac 2 of the 4 years and would be highly successful in FBS especially with additional 22 full rides. I see the FCS as land of nobodies especially with GSU APPY st gone (and others). We already dominated this stage, time to pump it up.

Agreed on all counts. Terrific post chapo.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 02:44 PM
My detailed FBS plan and budget laid out by my accountant was locked out of the other FBS thread. We will have to regroup we are both too traumatized

mnriverbison
09-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Thirded chapo.

Extra +1 on a conference which preserves traditional rivalries and makes geographic sense so large non-rev programs don't need to piss money away flying over some schools to play others. Where is USD though?

OrygunBison
09-30-2014, 02:50 PM
... time to PUMP IT UP!!!!

FIFY in a manner that we've come to expect.

For my part, I am just glad I don't have to make decisions on such things. This is a very difficult situation. I think I only would like to move up if we were able to play at the very highest level, meaning P5...which isn't going to happen. At the same time, I wouldn't want to be left behind after the big shift either.

bisonmike2
09-30-2014, 02:55 PM
My detailed FBS plan and budget laid out by my accountant was locked out of the other FBS thread. We will have to regroup we are both too traumatized

You're accountant did the budget? Well why didn't you say so!? Now I'm on board, FBS all the way. Meineke Car Care Bowl here we come!

NDSU_grad
09-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Whew great news guys.

Most people on this board don't disagree. The problem is that none of these things matter. UTSA bypassed the bottom tier conferences, got a CUSA invite, and basically hadn't played a down of DI football. It's 100% about markets. So unless you have a plan where the Fargo tv market is 1.5-2 million none of your ramblings matter. And no, the twin cities don't count as part of the Fargo market. This is the link you need to look at. Hint: scroll to #116

http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/markets/market2.cgi

southcliffbison
09-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Thirded chapo.

Extra +1 on a conference which preserves traditional rivalries and makes geographic sense so large non-rev programs don't need to piss money away flying over some schools to play others. Where is USD though?

Good question about where is USD........down in SD, USD and SDSU are joined at the hip surgically by the SD Board of Regents...... and yes, SDSU made the move first back in 03/04. This time around, however, I don't think the Board of Regents would allow SDSU to move up without the Coyotes.

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Grad bison. FSN is the answer, I know NDSU & Valley news doesn't want to hear that (they are making at least $100k off NDSU games) but simulcasting of FSN opens up the entire Midwest and makes NDSU an even bigger regional school.

NDSU is over 50% Minnesota people. NDSU is regional, you can't deny that fact.

344Johnson
09-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Grad bison. FSN is the answer, I know NDSU & Valley news doesn't want to hear that (they are making at least $100k off NDSU games) but simulcasting of FSN opens up the entire Midwest and makes NDSU an even bigger regional school.

......I believe ndsu is at line 44% Minnesota students.

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 03:16 PM
U serious Clark ?

NDSU_grad
09-30-2014, 03:18 PM

That, again, doesn't matter. A conference cares about markets so they can get a conference-wide tv deal on a national network. FSN doesn't do that. Our passionate fan base doesn't matter. Our attendance doesn't matter. Our tailgating doesn't matter.

NDSU_grad
09-30-2014, 03:21 PM
U serious Clark ?

42.7 %. 44% from North Dakota.

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Still NDSU is a regional school and should be marketed and branded as such.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Most people on this board don't disagree. The problem is that none of these things matter. UTSA bypassed the bottom tier conferences, got a CUSA invite, and basically hadn't played a down of DI football. It's 100% about markets. So unless you have a plan where the Fargo tv market is 1.5-2 million none of your ramblings matter. And no, the twin cities don't count as part of the Fargo market. This is the link you need to look at. Hint: scroll to #116

http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/markets/market2.cgi

couldn't it be argued that the WHOLE state of ND is the "Fargo Market"? Many other schools only have followings from their immediate area (due to many schools being int he state/region). If NDSU decided to seek a conference they could easily tout the entire state as being part of their market. They would promote the television data for the statewide broadcasts for football.

I don't have any idea how many actually watch the games via statewide television however it's much more than just Fargo/Valley City.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 03:43 PM
also interesting to note.... Eugene Oregon is #121 on the list.

NDSU_grad
09-30-2014, 03:43 PM
couldn't it be argued that the WHOLE state of ND is the "Fargo Market"? Many other schools only have followings from their immediate area (due to many schools being int he state/region). If NDSU decided to seek a conference they could easily tout the entire state as being part of their market. They would promote the television data for the statewide broadcasts for football.

I don't have any idea how many actually watch the games via statewide television however it's much more than just Fargo/Valley City.
Perhaps, that's still not very many tv sets in the eyes of the people who decide these things.

NDSU_grad
09-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Still NDSU is a regional school and should be marketed and branded as such.

No it shouldn't. It should be branded as a national university with very high research activity.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Not to continue the comparisons to other MWC schools:

Boise State: #110
Wyoming: #196 and #197
Colorado State: #17 (because of Denver)
Fresno: #55
San Jose State: #6 (aided by San Francisco)
U of New Mexico: #47
Air Force: #89
San Diego: #28
University of Nevada: #107
UNLV: #42

Fargo: #117
Bismark/Dickinson/Minot: #145

If you were to include both ND markets you would probably get somewhere in the 70s or 80s.

NDSUstudent
09-30-2014, 03:56 PM
I don't' think TV markets matter much unless you are a major conference, NDSU has a geographic problem.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Yes, that is the biggest issue. That leads me to believe that the combination of the best of the Big Sky/MVFC in a move up to the G5 level would be a really good fit.

tony
09-30-2014, 04:04 PM
I'd say that NDSU's actual media market is much greater than schools in bigger towns because it's state-wide (and more.)

A 50-share of an entire state with a population of 800,000 is better than a 5-share of a larger metro area, isn't it?

loudsilverado
09-30-2014, 04:15 PM
I think people are forgetting about the state legislature

Bison03
09-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Once again I ask the question which nobody seems to want to answer. Where is the $150,000,000+ that it will cost to build a bigger stadium come from? Where will the tens of millions of more that the athletic budget will need to be each year come from?

ANYONE? ANYONE?
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608012389813126267&w=231&h=173&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

tjbison
09-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Once again I ask the question which nobody seems to want to answer. Where is the $150,000,000+ that it will cost to build a bigger stadium come from? Where will the tens of millions of more that the athletic budget will need to be each year come from?

ANYONE? ANYONE?
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608012389813126267&w=231&h=173&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

lakes trust fund bro....where you been

loudsilverado
09-30-2014, 04:20 PM
lakes trust fund bro....where you been
NO, he already said he won't be taking money out of his trust fund. I think everything concerning a move up has to go to the legislature, state funding and being "equal" to UND is a huge problem.

tjbison
09-30-2014, 04:22 PM
I think people are forgetting about the state legislature

exactly.....sadly the only way the state would get on board is if NDSU and UND went together

otherwise we ain't getting shit from our state to fund any percentage of a possible move up

loudsilverado
09-30-2014, 04:28 PM
exactly.....sadly the only way the state would get on board is if NDSU and UND went together

otherwise we ain't getting shit from our state to fund any percentage of a possible move up

Maybe if we all sent threatening letters saying fund it "or else" to each person in the legislature they would do it.

Tatanka
09-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Maybe if we all sent threatening letters saying fund it "or else" to each person in the legislature they would do it.

Put the right logo on it and you've got a winner. I'll get the T-shirts made up.

ndsubison1
09-30-2014, 04:45 PM
People who want to wait to see what the P5 do, why cant we make the jump anyways?

If Ndsu continues this success there's going to be a push for fbs from somewhere. I dont know where, but I can see the admin. at least being tempted.

tjbison
09-30-2014, 05:11 PM
People who want to wait to see what the P5 do, why cant we make the jump anyways?

If Ndsu continues this success there's going to be a push for fbs from somewhere. I dont know where, but I can see the admin. at least being tempted.

I agree with this also.

if we win 4 this year or even next year, I'm totally on board with a push to get up. I also can see if we keep this level of play for a few more years someone will show interest

still won't help get money from the state though, hell I bet if the B12 commish stood in front of the legislature and told them build it and your in they would still vote no*

* only using this as an example of how tight our state is! I know we have zero shot at a P5

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 05:25 PM
I agree with this also.

if we win 4 this year or even next year, I'm totally on board with a push to get up. I also can see if we keep this level of play for a few more years someone will show interest

still won't help get money from the state though, hell I bet if the B12 commish stood in front of the legislature and told them build it and your in they would still vote no*

* only using this as an example of how tight our state is! I know we have zero shot at a P5

If you've got an administration that's for it. You need a different administration. There's a lot of personal benefit for senior members of the University and athletic administration at the next level but, in its current state there is precious little benefit for the institutions that we all care about.

TAILG8R
09-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Again, where do the extra seats come from?

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Again, where do the extra seats come from?

outside of the desire to sell more tickets, why is it a must that we upgrade stadiums in order to do this? the only requirement that i'm aware of is from the NCAA (which we already meet the minimum standards for seats).

bisonmike2
09-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Put the right logo on it and you've got a winner. I'll get the T-shirts made up.

Are we sure threatening legislature's is the way to go? I don't think that turned out so great for somebody on this board in the past.

loudsilverado
09-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Are we sure threatening legislature's is the way to go? I don't think that turned out so great for somebody on this board in the past.

You are right, but he got away with it last time with no charges.

daddy daycare
09-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Has anyone changed anyone else's mind yet? Didn't think so. #groundhogday

unbison
09-30-2014, 06:14 PM
You are right, but he got away with it last time with no charges.
I mean does anyone think he really threatened a legislator and got no charges filed against him?

tony
09-30-2014, 06:17 PM
outside of the desire to sell more tickets, why is it a must that we upgrade stadiums in order to do this? the only requirement that i'm aware of is from the NCAA (which we already meet the minimum standards for seats).

I'm not sure why a bigger stadium is linked so tightly in some minds with going to an FBS conference. Big, half-empty stadiums are not nearly as impressive as a jam-packed FargoDome.

Keep winning and the case for a new stadium builds itself... but it'll have to build for a long time before a tipping point is reached. Just going FBS doesn't guarantee bigger crowds - you gotta go FBS and win 8-12 games a year against interesting home opponents.

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Why is 4 titles the litmus? Isn't 3 enough?
Stadium folks:
Revamp the ticket prices and funding/donations tied to those 20,000 seats. Make students bleacher seating & add the band seats to public (1000 seats. Add corner seats (2000) & at 23,000 with proper advertising monies the fargodome could be viable.

TbonZach
09-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Stadium folks:
Revamp the ticket prices and funding/donations tied to those 20,000 seats. Make students bleacher seating & add the band seats to public (1000 seats. Add corner seats (2000) & at 23,000 with proper advertising monies the fargodome could be viable.

One word: fire code.

loudsilverado
09-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Stadium folks:

I'm just going keep posting after him....corner seats, really??

tjbison
09-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Stadium folks:

Nobody said it was a litmus test did they? Just a point that I have made to really be on the fbs side, but you must fail to read all the other facts people put out....like funding

Now I notice you want to sell the band's seat...where do they go then? When was the last college FB game you attended that the school band was not in attendance

td577
09-30-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure why a bigger stadium is linked so tightly in some minds with going to an FBS conference. Big, half-empty stadiums are not nearly as impressive as a jam-packed FargoDome.

Keep winning and the case for a new stadium builds itself... but it'll have to build for a long time before a tipping point is reached. Just going FBS doesn't guarantee bigger crowds - you gotta go FBS and win 8-12 games a year against interesting home opponents.

A new stadium is only required if we were to get an invite to a P5 conference. I have laid out in the past how the Big 12 could make sense but it is hardly realistic unless ESPN wants it that bad. If we are talking about a G5 revamp and bringing in the top half of FCS, I can't see where a new stadium is a #1 priority. I would think there would have to be some time allowed to settle in with new TV money and how that works into the budgeting. There also has to be a realistic projection of what that will mean for attendance. If the new D1 doesn't look that much different than what is going on now, then a stadium becomes about priority number 31.

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Td57. Bravo. Yes we'd need a new stadium for P5 but as I laid out, we can squeeze more money out of the dome. Band goes in the bleachers with students. They all stand and squeeze into front 20 rows so all 4000 can make it into the bleachers.

Fire Code still work if you get creative..ndsu is a top engineering/architect school so let's see it!!

loudsilverado
09-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Td57. Bravo. Yes we'd need a new stadium for P5 but as I laid out, we can squeeze more money out of the dome. Band goes in the bleachers with students. They all stand and squeeze into front 20 rows so all 4000 can make it into the bleachers.

Fire Code still work if you get creative..ndsu is a top engineering/architect school so let's see it!!

Why don't you just jump on the Gophers, donate money, push to get them competitive? You are a huge Minnesota homer.

BisonNation11
09-30-2014, 06:59 PM

I guess my reasoning would be that if we jump now, we're stuck with whatever conference we're tied to. If we wait, who knows what doors will open up. Now granted I understand all of the conference re-alignment that's going on, but with a wait and see approach, I feel NDSU controls its destiny a little more.

NorthernBison
09-30-2014, 07:04 PM
I guess my reasoning would be that if we jump now, we're stuck with whatever conference we're tied to. If we wait, who knows what doors will open up. Now granted I understand all of the conference re-alignment that's going on, but with a wait and see approach, I feel NDSU controls its destiny a little more.
Bingo. First of all, I don't think the MWC is much of a step up. More importantly, I have 100% confidence that Boise State will NOT be a member of the MWC when the eventual shakeup happens (they might not be the only one to bolt too). Geography is not our friend.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Why don't you just jump on the Gophers, donate money, push to get them competitive? You are a huge Minnesota homer.

I thought that this was supposed to be a thread that was meant for good discussion surrounding the move to FBS, not bringing up off topic comments to complain about certain users. Fail.

loudsilverado
09-30-2014, 07:07 PM
I thought that this was supposed to be a thread that was meant for good discussion surrounding the move to FBS, not bringing up off topic comments to complain about certain users. Fail.

Because as a ND tax payer, this thread will never happen without the state legislature full support, and it will never happen. End of thread.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Bingo. First of all, I don't think the MWC is much of a step up. More importantly, I have 100% confidence that Boise State will NOT be a member of the MWC when the eventual shakeup happens (they might not be the only one to bolt too). Geography is not our friend.

this is all based on the idea that somehow the G5 doesn't lock us out. The assumption is that there will absolutely be a way to move up IF there is a shakeup in FBS college football. What if the G5 works their own deals with the media, creates their own playoffs and chooses NOT to allow NDSU to join due to geography or something else. In that scenario, NDSU is 3rd tier football with no hope. That scenario might not be all that likely but it COULD happen. If we were to make the jump now, at least we'd be at the table instead of relying on other conferences to elevate us to the G5 conferences later down the road.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Because as a ND tax payer, this thread will never happen without the state legislature full support, and it will never happen. End of thread.

Who needs the taxpayers? No new stadium needed (at least to compete with G5 teams), additional funding would be needed for sports programs but that number is debatable. There is NO way to identify if/when the taxpayers would be required.

NorthernBison
09-30-2014, 07:10 PM
I think you are correct. It would have been better to just say that from the start.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:12 PM
I think you are correct. It would have been better to just say that from the start.

without asking for money from the state, what could the legislature actually do to prevent this from happening? the quick answer: Nothing.

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 07:13 PM
this is all based on the idea that somehow the G5 doesn't lock us out. The assumption is that there will absolutely be a way to move up IF there is a shakeup in FBS college football. What if the G5 works their own deals with the media, creates their own playoffs and chooses NOT to allow NDSU to join due to geography or something else. In that scenario, NDSU is 3rd tier football with no hope. That scenario might not be all that likely but it COULD happen. If we were to make the jump now, at least we'd be at the table instead of relying on other conferences to elevate us to the G5 conferences later down the road.

We're locked out already. No one can move up without having a conference affiliation locked down first.

loudsilverado
09-30-2014, 07:13 PM
without asking for money from the state, what could the legislature actually do to prevent this from happening? the quick answer: Nothing.

Do you remember the city of Fargo tax payers turning down the FFD a few times?????

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:14 PM
We're locked out already. No one can move up without having a conference affiliation locked down first.

agreed.... I do believe however that we could make the jump to the Sunbelt if so desired (not that i think that i think that we should strive for that conference).

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Do you remember the city of Fargo tax payers turning down the FFD a few times?????

Also, you can't put up a new building without approval from Bismarck even if you raise all the money yourself.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:15 PM

yes, i do but the FFD wasn't built for NDSU athletics. We are just a tenant. Again, what does that "example" have to do with our state Legislature?

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Also, you can't put up a new building without approval from Bismarck even if you raise all the money yourself.

agreed. When exactly did the legislature stand in the way? didn't they set up the parameters for approval and once we met those the building was approved?

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:17 PM
i don't recall the legislature getting in the way when we decided to move to D1 from D2.

NorthernBison
09-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Really? You should write novels. The G5 is NOTHING by itself. Even if they could work out a media deal, wouldn't that same media want to ensure the largest and most attractive pool of contestants? You know who the G5 Conferences are and what schools are included don't you? Hopefully, you also understand that, while the NCAA doesn't directly have control over the BCS Conferences (including the G5) with regard to football, they do carry a pretty big stick when it comes to all of the other sports (think Basketball). In short, the G5 doesn't hold any cards when it comes to influence. Right now, they are just riding along hoping for a few crumbs to drop like a lapdog sitting by my recliner.

loudsilverado
09-30-2014, 07:22 PM
yes, i do but the FFD wasn't built for NDSU athletics. We are just a tenant. Again, what does that "example" have to do with our state Legislature?

With the state of higher ed in this state, building a new stadium has everything to do with the state legislature and city of fargo.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Really? You should write novels. The G5 is NOTHING by itself. Even if they could work out a media deal, wouldn't that same media want to ensure the largest and most attractive pool of contestants? You know who the G5 Conferences are and what schools are included don't you? Hopefully, you also understand that, while the NCAA doesn't directly have control over the BCS Conferences (including the G5) with regard to football, they do carry a pretty big stick when it comes to all of the other sports (think Basketball). In short, the G5 doesn't hold any cards when it comes to influence. Right now, they are just riding along hoping for a few crumbs to drop like a lapdog sitting by my recliner.

The G5 is basically nothing now.

Based on the assumption that the P5 will break away and the G5 will be left in the dust, it is completely possible that they could stick with the teams/conferences that they have. The NCAA could force the move of the top parts of the FCS up to the G5 level however there is NO guarantee of that.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:26 PM
With the state of higher ed in this state, building a new stadium has everything to do with the state legislature and city of fargo.

I can see how the state board of higher ed could have some influence IF the money came from the state's coffers however if the stadium was built without any state money they can complain but would not be able to do anything about it.

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 07:27 PM
i don't recall the legislature getting in the way when we decided to move to D1 from D2.

That was before two Presidential residences went way over budget and only one of them got much media attention.

I can just imagine the hypocritical Sturm und Drang if NDSU announced plans to build a 25,000 seat indoor football stadium for $500 million with it's own pipe organ imported from Austria, mahogany arm rests, the largest HD video board between Minneapolis and Seattle, and 100 snorty bison logos inlayed on tri-color marble concourses imported from Italy.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:28 PM
That was before two Presidential residences when way over budget and only one of them got much media attention.

I can just imagine the hypocritical Sturm und Drang if NDSU announced plans to build a 25,000 seat indoor football stadium for $500 million with it's own pipe organ imported from Austria, mahogany arm rests, the largest HD video board between Minneapolis and Seattle, and 100 snorty bison logos inlayed on tri-color marble concourses imported from Italy.

i guess it depends on who if footing the bill.

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 07:43 PM
i guess it depends on who if footing the bill.

That was definitely the case last time. But 70 miles makes a difference. Also, they were wrong to let that guy walk all over them just because he had a lot of money. His people made public statements about the nickname that the University was trying to retire in 2000 that were in direct contravention to his initial agreement with UND and he was so brazen in his hostage taking of the State Board of Higher Education that it's precipitated the current crisis with Carlson and his legislative power grab. Finally, it didn't seem to matter with the residence that none of the money was theirs.

NDSUstudent
09-30-2014, 07:44 PM

I think the MWC is a big step up but I don't see them adding us. It is an upper level G5 conference and a very good basketball conference.

Also not sure where Boise is going to go. Like us they have geography and market issues when you talk about the P5 but on top of that they also have academic issues. The Pac 12 will never touch them, that leaves just the Big 12 and that would make them a big outlier.

NorthernBison
09-30-2014, 07:46 PM
I can see how the state board of higher ed could have some influence IF the money came from the state's coffers however if the stadium was built without any state money they can complain but would not be able to do anything about it.
Not true. The State would be responsible for maintenance.

mnriverbison
09-30-2014, 07:49 PM
also interesting to note.... Eugene Oregon is #121 on the list.

1) They broadcast in Portland
2) They have a larger alumni base which is spread all through Pac 12 media markets
3) extra bonus they are now a national brand with the Knight/Nike stuff

NDSUstudent
09-30-2014, 07:51 PM
I don't see the state getting in the way if NDSU had the money to build its own stadium all up front, that said I don't think NDSU could built its own stadium without some kind of bonding.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:52 PM
2) They have a larger alumni base which is spread all through Pac 12 media markets

Just wanted to point out that the number listed in the neilson ratings doesn't much matter. it's the other variables that matter.

NDSUguy
09-30-2014, 07:53 PM

Why would the state pay for maintenance? do they pay for the maintenance of the fargodome? I thought that the authority took care of that.

NDSUstudent
09-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Why would the state pay for maintenance? do they pay for the maintenance of the fargodome? I thought that the authority took care of that.

Well they pay for maintenance on the BBF and BSA, buildings the state owns.

mnriverbison
09-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Just wanted to point out that the number listed in the neilson ratings doesn't much matter. it's the other variables that matter.

Totally true that other variables matter, but it's worth painting the whole picture and not just the fraction of the picture that we prefer. Most big 5 schools are not in major cities, but almost to a school they have a large metropolis not to far away where they are the college sports property of value. We don't have that. The truth is that 2nd division football will always be a tough media property to market. Are there any major metros where FCS draws well on TV?

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 08:03 PM

It's also a little different when you've been a member institution for 100 years, instead of putting you hand in the air and begging "pick-me".

NDSU_grad
09-30-2014, 08:05 PM
I think the MWC is a big step up but I don't see them adding us. It is an upper level G5 conference and a very good basketball conference.

Also not sure where Boise is going to go. Like us they have geography and market issues when you talk about the P5 but on top of that they also have academic issues. The Pac 12 will never touch them, that leaves just the Big 12 and that would make them a big outlier.
The bolded may have been true ~5 years ago, but the MW isn't what it used to be. Hell, Wyoming has a decent chance to finish in the top half of the conference this year. No Utah, no BYU, no TCU, and it appears Boise St. may be losing some of its luster.

Tatanka
09-30-2014, 08:05 PM
What is the visiting team's ticket allotment in the MAC/MWC? Currently it's 500 for the MVFC, unless I've been misinformed.
Sent from somewhere using my Windows Phone.

NDSUstudent
09-30-2014, 08:09 PM
The bolded may have been true ~5 years ago, but the MW isn't what it used to be. Hell, Wyoming has a decent chance to finish in the top half of the conference this year. No Utah, no BYU, no TCU, and it appears Boise St. may be losing some of its luster.

The conference is a bit down for football but it is full of well supported programs. The second best team in our conference(UNI) didn't exactly look great against a bottom half MWC team in Hawaii. I won't even get into the difference in media coverage, which is beyond massive.

When you compare it to the our other conference the Summit, the step up is well massive.

Answer Guy
09-30-2014, 08:11 PM
ndsu is a top engineering/architect school so let's see it!!

Sounds legit.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx89/NDACAnswerGuy/untitled_zps12917fe9.png

56BISON73
09-30-2014, 08:27 PM
I have a question for the"""we must move up now""" crowd. Where do we move up to? I dont see any conference invites. Plus you cant force your way in to a conference. You can say we are moving up all you want but if you dont have a conference to play in this is just an exercise in mental masturbation.

And just to stop all the BS of, we could go here or there lets just say NOBODY want NDSU in their conference and we are frozen out.

So what do you FBS pud pounders do now?

NorthernBison
09-30-2014, 08:31 PM
A new stadium owned by NDSU and paid for 100% by donations would STILL require the approval of the State because responsibility for ongoing maintenance is ultimately on the taxpayers. This was pointed out clearly when Chapman and the Foundation did an end run around the Legislature and SBOHE in acquiring the building that is now Barry Hall. That's another burr under the saddles of some in the Legislature. Any plans to add facilities needs support from solid data or it won't get out of Bismarck. It's something we need to deal with going forward.

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 08:39 PM
I don't see the state getting in the way if NDSU had the money to build its own stadium all up front, that said I don't think NDSU could built its own stadium without some kind of bonding.

I would love to see skarpoll lee Carlson kelsch faces when NDSU starts a $100 million PRIVATE FOOTBALL STADIUM DRIVE. Nothing they could do to stop and if they did NDSU fans should have a bison walk at the Capitol

NorthernBison
09-30-2014, 08:39 PM

Also not sure where Boise is going to go. Like us they have geography and market issues when you talk about the P5 but on top of that they also have academic issues. The Pac 12 will never touch them, that leaves just the Big 12 and that would make them a big outlier.The MWC as a football conference gets little respect nationally. What you said about Boise State reinforces that it's not really a desirable place to land IMO. I used Boise as an example because everybody sees them as the poster child for success and they were invited to join the Big East. The geography of the MWC sucks. Road night games that start at 9:00 locally and aren't over until Midnight mean our football program becomes invisible to most of the region for half of the season. You are 100% correct about basketball. NDSU basketball would be a bottom feeder in the MWC.

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 08:42 PM
NDSU admin needs to SELL THEMSELVES to MWC/MAC. (1000 is visiting team ticket allotment tatanka)

NDSU has never put together a "marketing/promo" piece and sent it to the mountain west presidents desk (or Mac)

You need to egg out there and press some palms!!

(Basketball would be better in the MWC recruits would be much better & we could steal missou valley recruits and maybe a big 10 borderline kid from minn or wisc that wants to stay home

NorthernBison
09-30-2014, 08:43 PM
I would love to see skarpoll lee Carlson kelsch faces when NDSU starts a $100 million PRIVATE FOOTBALL STADIUM DRIVE. Nothing they could do to stop and if they did NDSU fans should have a bison walk at the Capitol
You're joking right. Do you have any idea how things work in Bismarck? Going to battle against the Super Majority could set NDSU back decades. Bresciani knows what not to do.

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 08:45 PM
If NDSU raises all the money privately. They can't do squat about it!! they didn't stop the NAZI-IGLOO

NDSUstudent
09-30-2014, 08:47 PM
I have a question for the"""we must move up now""" crowd. Where do we move up to? I dont see any conference invites. Plus you cant force your way in to a conference. You can say we are moving up all you want but if you dont have a conference to play in this is just an exercise in mental masturbation.

And just to stop all the BS of, we could go here or there lets just say NOBODY want NDSU in their conference and we are frozen out.

Nothing can be done but to keep on winning and continue to build up our program where we are at. The people that think you can politic your way into a conference are wrong, if they want to add a team they will come to you. Sure our AD and President can gauge their interest but that is about all they can do. No AD we would have hired could convince a a conference to add NDSU, it just doesn't work that way. They need to have interest in expanding and adding you before convincing anyone can happen.

None of these conferences want to add anyone at all, I haven't heard anyone say the MWC is looking to add or the MAC is looking. The Sun Belt is but NDSU going there makes no sense for either party. So yeah we are stuck.

Mr Meaty
09-30-2014, 08:49 PM
Keep the dome running as normal with construction on the outside of the dome takes place to add a 2nd level of seating. 34 sections 15 rows high with 18 seat across will add 9,180 seats to the capacity of the dome. You can finish out the upper level corners with a pie shape section which should add another xxx number of seat we are now at around 30,000 seats. Once the seats are in and a partial overhang on the upper level take down the roof on the dome and we are ready for play in two years. Up ticket prices across the board and we are golden. FBS is in our future. Balls to the wall. Lets do this.

bisonmike2
09-30-2014, 08:50 PM
If NDSU raises all the money privately. They can't do squat about it!! they didn't stop the NAZI-IGLOO

Well we should start now because it took us 12 years to raise 30 million for the SHAC. So it's going to take us roughly 30 years to raise 100 million for the stadium we want but in 30 years to build the stadium we want we are going to need to raise 200 million but that will take us 60 years to raise 200 million but in 60 years we are going to need 400 million to build the stadium we want so we'll need to raise.....etc..etc.

56BISON73
09-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Nothing can be done but to keep on winning and continue to build up our program where we are at. The people that think you can politic your way into a conference are wrong, if they want to add a team they will come to you. Sure our AD and President can gauge their interest but that is about all they can do. No AD we would have hired could convince a a conference to add NDSU, it just doesn't work that way. They need to have interest in expanding and adding you before convincing anyone can happen.

None of these conferences want to add anyone at all, I haven't heard anyone say the MWC is looking to add or the MAC is looking. The Sun Belt is but NDSU going there makes no sense for either party. So yeah we are stuck.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NDSUstudent
09-30-2014, 08:54 PM
The MWC as a football conference gets little respect nationally. What you said about Boise State reinforces that it's not really a desirable place to land IMO. I used Boise as an example because everybody sees them as the poster child for success and they were invited to join the Big East. The geography of the MWC sucks. Road night games that start at 9:00 locally and aren't over until Midnight mean our football program becomes invisible to most of the region for half of the season. You are 100% correct about basketball. NDSU basketball would be a bottom feeder in the MWC.

I think you are wrong since those road games would be on national TV. I think NDSU football could be a force in the MWC, basketball would struggle but at least you would have a quality conference to sell. Suddenly in the region NDSU basketball would be in a very strong basketball conference and that might allow NDSU to go after a different class of recruit, it would elevate us above most of the other mid-major programs. Again the basketball program would get national TV games much more regularly. I think the MWC would take NDSU athletics to a whole different level.

That said I don't think MWC would give much thought to add NDSU. It is hard to sell schools in California and Nevada that adding a school in North Dakota is a good idea.

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 08:57 PM
keep the dome running as normal with construction on the outside of the dome takes place to add a 2nd level of seating. 34 sections 15 rows high with 18 seat across will add 9,180 seats to the capacity of the dome. You can finish out the upper level corners with a pie shape section which should add another xxx number of seat we are now at around 30,000 seats. Once the seats are in and a partial overhang on the upper level take down the roof on the dome and we are ready for play in two years. Up ticket prices across the board and we are golden. Fbs is in our future. Balls to the wall. Lets do this.

fify. .

NorthernBison
09-30-2014, 08:57 PM
UND doesn't own the Ralph. Apples and oranges. BTW, nobody has answered why numbers like $100 Million keep getting thrown around when two reasonably similar projects within 200 miles of Fargo came in at DOUBLE and TRIPLE that cost. Sounds like the President's Mansion all over again. Not acceptable.

semobison
09-30-2014, 08:58 PM

I agree completely! Until the MWC, MAC or whoever announces expansion plans the "move up now crowd" is totally off base. Without a conference invite there is no where to move up to. Trust me, NDSU officials and administration are keeping a sharp eye out on the changing NCAA football landscape.... Talk about beating a dead horse!

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 09:02 PM
UND doesn't own the Ralph. Apples and oranges. BTW, nobody has answered why numbers like $100 Million keep getting thrown around when two reasonably similar projects within 200 miles of Fargo came in at DOUBLE and TRIPLE that cost. Sounds like the President's Mansion all over again. Not acceptable.

Different numbers that are absurdly small keep coming up because anyone who's ever looked at it in even a semi-serious way has concluded that the real number is a very difficult sell, especially when none of your potential partners is even remotely interested.

Herd
09-30-2014, 09:02 PM
What drives NDSU to the 2nd Tier, the FBS G5 Level, instead of staying in the current FCS??

1) When NDSU is no longer able to schedule FBS P5 games. MN, IA, NE, KS State and other regional FBS P5 schools will no longer schedule FCS schools, especially good ones. This Time is NOW.
2) When NDSU can't schedule games with the FBS G5. They don't want to play FCS schools unless its an easy win, and NDSU is a definite NO for the group. This Time is NOW.

Why are the two questions above so important for NDSU?

Playing FBS P5 & G5 schools are what have made NDSU relavant in the college Football landscape, and what the fans Want and Need. If the only games that NDSU is able to schedule and play are FCS games, it is TIME to move to the next level. That TIME appears to be NOW.

Why stay FCS? Another Title or Two is the only reason. NDSU's national relavance will peak in 2014, and decline going forward without P5 and G5 games. Iowa in 2016 might help it linger, but after that . . . decline.

aces1180
09-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Well we should start now because it took us 12 years to raise 30 million for the SHAC. So it's going to take us roughly 30 years to raise 100 million for the stadium we want but in 30 years to build the stadium we want we are going to need to raise 200 million but that will take us 60 years to raise 200 million but in 60 years we are going to need 400 million to build the stadium we want so we'll need to raise.....etc..etc.

No offense to wrestling and basketball, but I see more people donating for a football building faster than the BSA.

El_Chapo

NDSU FOOTBALL SELLS I bet they could raise $100 million in 1 year if a concentrated effort was made.

$10 million from scheels Sanford rdo
$5 million from pro seed, bobcat, burgum NDSU student fees.

That's $50million.
1000 donors at $2000/year over 20 years= $40 million.
500 donors at $500/year over 20 years = $10 million.

Bada Bing, Bada BOOM

NorthernBison
I think you are wrong since those road games would be on national TV. I think NDSU football could be a force in the MWC, basketball would struggle but at least you would have a quality conference to sell. Suddenly in the region NDSU basketball would be in a very strong basketball conference and that might allow NDSU to go after a different class of recruit, it would elevate us above most of the other mid-major programs. Again the basketball program would get national TV games much more regularly. I think the MWC would take NDSU athletics to a whole different level.

That said I don't think MWC would give much thought to add NDSU. It is hard to sell schools in California and Nevada that adding a school in North Dakota is a good idea.
I'll agree to disagree about the first paragraph. Primarily because I simply have zero interest in those MWC programs (and I see myself as typical). Wyoming? I never watched a single football game until they played NDSU and I've never watched one since. Same is true of most of the rest of the conference. I totally agree with the last part. I'll trust John's input since he lives in Vegas and has stated they simply aren't interested in NDSU. Until, and unless, that changes, the discussion tends to be pointless.

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 09:05 PM
What drives NDSU to the 2nd Tier, the FBS G5 Level, instead of staying in the current FCS??

1) When NDSU is no longer able to schedule FBS P5 games. MN, IA, NE, KS State and other regional FBS P5 schools will no longer schedule FCS schools, especially good ones. This Time is NOW.
2) NDSU can't schedule games with the FBS G5. They don't want to play FCS schools unless its an easy win, and NDSU is a definite NO for the group. This Time is NOW.

Playing FBS P5 & G5 schools are what have made NDSU relavant in the college Football landscape, and what the fans Want and Need. If the only games that NDSU is able to schedule and play are FCS games, it is TIME to move to the next level. That TIME appears to be NOW.

What stay FCS? Another Title or Two is the only reason. NDSU's national relavance will peak in 2014, and decline going forward without P5 and G5 games.

Hell yea.

#3. Average joe NDSU ticket buyer CANT BUY A TICKET. THAT TIME IS NOW

Hey 104 posts in 8 hours. Not too shabby. Lots of interest in this FBS MOVE

56BISON73
09-30-2014, 09:09 PM

2) When NDSU can't schedule games with the FBS G5. They don't want to play FCS schools unless its an easy win, and NDSU is a definite NO for the group. This Time is NOW.

Why stay FCS? Another Title or Two is the only reason. NDSU's national relavance will peak in 2014, and decline going forward without P5 and G5 games. Iowa in 2016 might help it linger, but after that . . . decline.

Please explain how you expect to make this move when we dont have a conference that wants us?

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Hell yea.

#3. Average joe NDSU ticket buyer CANT BUY A TICKET. THAT TIME IS NOW

Hey 104 posts in 8 hours. Not too shabby. Lots of interest in this FBS MOVE

Playing in the famous Idaho Potato Bowl on December 20 will cure the demand problem. No purple.

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Any bowl game is viewed by more people than fcs title game, every bowl game gets a whole day dedicated to it.......fcs title game on espn 2 waiting for St. John's vs villinova basketball game to get done does not.

Haven't all of you seen frisco enough now? Time to broaden your travels.

NDSU should be selling these conferences and asking them if they would add NDSU. NOT SIT AND WAIT!

semobison
09-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Any bowl game is viewed by more people than fcs title game, every bowl game gets a whole day dedicated to it.......fcs title game on espn 2 waiting for St. John's vs villinova basketball game to get done does not.

NDSU should be selling these conferences and asking them if they would add NDSU. NOT SIT AND WAIT!

Like this:
NDSU: We are very interested in joining the MWC and we think we could bring a great product to your conference.
MWC: sorry, we have no plans for expansion at this time.

NDSU: We are very interested in joining the MAC and feel we would be a great addition to your conference.
MAC: We are not interested at this time, thanks for calling.

NDSU: Um... anybody got the number for the Sunbelt?

56BISON73
09-30-2014, 09:26 PM

And when they say NO what then?

BisonNation11
09-30-2014, 09:27 PM
[/B]

We keep calling until they accept us because we're the mighty Bison, who the F*#@ are you! :biggrin:

loudsilverado
09-30-2014, 09:31 PM
[/B]

Email them "or else"

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 09:36 PM

I've been to both Boise (Idaho Famous Potato Bowl) and Frisco three times. Where I'd rather spend a mid winter's weekend is not a hard choice.

ARTHUR: Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God
with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the
night he can join us in our quest for the Holy Grail.
GUARD: Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen...
Uh, he's already got one, you see?
ARTHUR: What?
GALAHAD: He says they've already got one!
ARTHUR: Are you sure he's got one?
GUARD: Oh, yes, it's very nice-a [To Other Guards] I told him we already got one.
OTHER GUARDS: [Laughing]
ARTHUR: Well, um, can we come up and have a look?

NDSUstudent
09-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Lakes these conferences need to want to add a school first and then they need to add have interest in NDSU. That is when you sell, otherwise you just look desperate and will probably just scare people away. The best thing to do is just control what you can control and that is keep on winning and keep on building up our program.

SDbison
09-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Lakes these conferences need to want to add a school first and then they need to add have interest in NDSU. That is when you sell, otherwise you just look desperate and will probably just scare people away. The best thing to do is just control what you can control and that is keep on winning and keep on building up our program. Hard to build up the program when seating is locked at 19,000 and turning away 5,000 plus for most home games. In addition, just having ND Network for TV does not grow the product all that much. Getting regional TV coverage would be a big deal. A good portion of the fans going to FBS games and Frisco the past 3 years are not from ND.

El_Chapo
09-30-2014, 09:58 PM
We keep calling until they accept us because we're the mighty Bison, who the F*#@ are you! :biggrin:

That's the sprit! You fly out to the conference offices, you wine them and dine them and show them a 10 minute presentation of what we've accomplished the fanbase that travels and new basketball arena and dome lit up. Sell them Fargo and the #1 economy in the USA. NORTH DAKOTA. Sales people!!

SDBISON you are also correct, the average joe in Jamestown would love to go see the bison play, but they can't buy a ticket and they won't pay $75-100/ticket. We are missing out on growing the product.
FSN would help.

NDSUstudent
09-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Hard to build up the program when seating is locked at 19,000 and turning away 5,000 plus for most home games. In addition, just having ND Network for TV does not grow the product all that much. Getting regional TV coverage would be a big deal. A good portion of the fans going to FBS games and Frisco the past 3 years are not from ND.

Well I would argue that those are things that need to be built up.

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Hard to build up the program when seating is locked at 19,000 and turning away 5,000 plus for most home games. In addition, just having ND Network for TV does not grow the product all that much. Getting regional TV coverage would be a big deal. A good portion of the fans going to FBS games and Frisco the past 3 years are not from ND.

Ohio St. tickets average sale price on the secondary market is over $260 bucks. Their stadium must not be big enough either. Killing the program.

LikeMothers
09-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Getting regional TV coverage would be a big deal. A good portion of the fans going to FBS games and Frisco the past 3 years are not from ND.

This here is much more important than the tactics of which conference you're in. Look at all the fans in the Twin Cities and the hoops they have to jump through to watch the game. How many people that are either casual fans or just folks that like to watch football are willing to go through all the ESPN3-Xbox-kinescope-webcam monkey business to watch most games? Either that or have to drive the kids to sensers and watch what you drink?

bisonaudit
09-30-2014, 10:02 PM
SDBISON you are also correct, the average joe in Jamestown would love to go see the bison play, but they can't buy a ticket and they won't pay $75-100/ticket. We are missing out on growing the product.
FSN would help.

If only we could get someone else to pay for a new stadium that we could play in for free all of our problems would be solved.

VanClubPres
09-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Trolls are getting fat on all the fresh feeding today...

bisonpride4ever
09-30-2014, 10:11 PM
My take on this whole topic is this. If we have a sound plan and all our ducks in a row in regards to conference affiliation, funding, stadium, title IX, etc, then sure I'm all for moving to FBS. But moving just for the sake of being FBS without any sound plan is dumb. This isn't like playing NCAA Football dynasty mode on XBox or Playstation where you control some crappy MAC or SunBelt team and after having one awesome year you get invited to he Big12, SEC, etc.

Until then let's just enjoy our awesome teams and support them while they continue to kick everybody's ass.

Sent using both a Speak-n-Spell and an Etch-a-Sketch

StL Bison Fan
09-30-2014, 10:56 PM
We own it, we maintain it. How many millions are we behind on campus buildings?

This is pretty naive. Remember each session when we go to Bismarck to beg for money? I do.

loudsilverado
09-30-2014, 10:59 PM
We own it, we maintain it. How many millions are we behind on campus buildings?

This is pretty naive. Remember each session when we go to Bismarck to beg for money? I do.

There is no reality there, we beg for money every session, it wouldn't fly.

StL Bison Fan
09-30-2014, 11:01 PM

There is no reality there, we beg for money every session, it wouldn't fly.
Precisely. See the thread discussing funding.

td577
09-30-2014, 11:12 PM

I agree with this. There will be a home for the Bison after the shake up. I think Boise State moves up with a couple other G5 schools into the P5 to fill out the Big 12 and such, and then there will be a reset in the G5 conferences to make them competitive and relevant. They will develop their own playoff system and it will look very much like today's FCS.

Ross
09-30-2014, 11:24 PM
That's the sprit! You fly out to the conference offices, you wine them and dine them and show them a 10 minute presentation of what we've accomplished the fanbase that travels and new basketball arena and dome lit up. Sell them Fargo and the #1 economy in the USA. NORTH DAKOTA. Sales people!!

FSN would help.

Step 1: wine 'em
Step 2: dine 'em
Step 3: sixty-nine 'em
Step 4: profit

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2220/2249485530_9a045a3b6d.jpg

HotShot
09-30-2014, 11:26 PM

If el chumpo was on the phone that would be his arrogant answer.
This is all mute until there is a conference invite. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

marenlee
09-30-2014, 11:32 PM
I still don't see the P5 splitting away from the NCAA. They already have autonomy and will make their own rules. And it's just a matter whether or not the rest can follow. They still need to schedule G5 games to fill out their schedule. So I don't understand the let's see what the P5 does before we doing anything logic. I definitely don't buy the theory that the upper FCS and G5 would combine to have their playoff system. To me that's a pipedream also.

I'm against, and I side with many arguments in this thread. I know people here disagree, but I'm with NDSUstudent on the MWC. They are a huge jump up in football and basketball as a WHOLE. Much better programs and much more supported than our MVFC and Summit mates.

I would love for NDSU to be FBS... But logically, without a conference invite or $$$, we are stuck where we are. And I'm OK with that. For now at least...

StL Bison Fan
10-01-2014, 12:08 AM
This conversation is old.
Here is a fresh idea. We get the teams and fans of the teams we beat down, to build the stadium so we will leave :bow:

HerdBoy
10-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Here is a fresh idea. We get the teams and fans of the teams we beat down, to build the stadium so we will leave :bow:

Treasurer - John Stiegelmeier

56BISON73
10-01-2014, 12:54 AM

Great idea. Just think--a brand new stadium but no teams to play against.:biggrin:

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-01-2014, 01:01 AM
I have nothing of value to add to this thread. Just want to get credit for a post. Thank you for reading.

StL Bison Fan
10-01-2014, 01:03 AM
Great idea. Just think--a brand new stadium but no teams to play against.:biggrin:

Haven't you heard? We're movin' on up.

56BISON73
10-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Haven't you heard? We're movin' on up.

Have THEY been notified??:biggrin:

El_Chapo
10-01-2014, 01:26 AM
I have nothing of value to add to this thread. Just want to get credit for a post. Thank you for reading.

Another 1 on the FBS bandwagon welcome. NDSU is too good for fcs

Strongman
10-01-2014, 01:58 AM
Like this:
NDSU: We are very interested in joining the MWC and we think we could bring a great product to your conference.
MWC: sorry, we have no plans for expansion at this time.

NDSU: We are very interested in joining the MAC and feel we would be a great addition to your conference.
MAC: We are not interested at this time, thanks for calling.

NDSU: Um... anybody got the number for the Sunbelt?

WE DON'T HAVE TO JOIN A CONFERENCE FOR ALL SPORTS. THE SUMMIT IS FINE FOR NOW. ALL CONFERENCES ARE LOOKING TO EXPAND or solidify their position. They want to protect themselves from other conferences, particularly the SEC. You make it sound like joining a football only football conference is analogous to dating Kate Upton. WE ARE THE SOON-TO-BE-QUAD NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. Jesus Christ, with our attendance and are following we have something to offer to each of the 5 non Big Five conferences.

You are a fool if you don't think Taylor has talked to the Sun Belt commissioner, the MAC commissioner and others.

Herd
10-01-2014, 02:00 AM
I hope everyone that wants to stay in the FCS is ready for our big OOC games each year to be . . .

Sam Houston
Chatanooga
Un_
Bill & Mary
FAMU
MT State

This is our FCS future. Gas up the bus.

perthbison
10-01-2014, 02:04 AM

Also not sure where Boise is going to go. Like us they have geography and market issues when you talk about the P5 but on top of that /B]they also have academic issues.[B]B] The Pac 12 will never touch them, that leaves just the Big 12 and that would make them a big outlier.this is true. I think NDSU is in good shape here comparatively speaking

Answer Guy
10-01-2014, 02:05 AM
You are a fool if you don't think Taylor has talked to the Sun Belt commissioner, the MAC commissioner and others.

Iowa is not happy in the B1G?

56BISON73
10-01-2014, 02:08 AM
[QUOTE=Herd;922341]I hope everyone that wants to stay in the FCS is ready for our big OOC games each year to be . . .

Sam Houston
Chatanooga
Un_
Bill & Mary
FAMU
MT State

This is our FCS future. Gas up the bus.[/QUOTE

Do you know of a conference that is willing to take NDSU?

NorthernBison
10-01-2014, 02:08 AM
I hope everyone that wants to stay in the FCS is ready for our big OOC games each year to be . . .

Sam Houston
Chatanooga
Un_
Bill & Mary
FAMU
MT State

This is our FCS future. Gas up the bus.

So, you're saying we have an invite that we are turning down?

Lakes twin just said Gene talked to the other conference commissioners.

I'm sure we'll strongly consider any invitations we receive. No more to really discuss.

Herd
10-01-2014, 02:14 AM
So, you're saying we have an invite that we are turning down?

Lakes twin just said Gene talked to the other conference commissioners.

I'm sure we'll strongly consider any invitations we receive. No more to really discuss.

What happened first, moving DI or getting an invite to the MVFC? You have to declare your intentions, thats Step 1, not the other way around.

westnodak93bison
10-01-2014, 02:22 AM
[QUOTE=Herd;922341]I hope everyone that wants to stay in the FCS is ready for our big OOC games each year to be . . .

Sam Houston
Chatanooga
Un_
Bill & Mary
FAMU
MT State

This is our FCS future. Gas up the bus.[/QUOTE

Do you know of a conference that is willing to take NDSU?
How would you expect anyone but a University official know this?

56BISON73
10-01-2014, 02:25 AM
What happened first, moving DI or getting an invite to the MVFC? You have to declare your intentions, thats Step 1, not the other way around.

GT already has stated that he talked to the MWC or WAC that when they were discussing expansion that he wanted to make sure NDSU was in the discussion. How much more of a declaration do you need?

Flow 2-3-4-5
10-01-2014, 02:27 AM
Unless whatever level we move up to has a playoff system similar to what we have now, I see no reason to move. I just can't get excited about waiting around for 3-4 weeks after the regular season for a chance to compete in the Sh*t.com Bowl on a Tuesday night in mid December in some hellhole like Detroit, MI or Shreveport, LA.

Unless you are in Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta, or Rose, the FBS Bowl system absolutely sucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

semobison
10-01-2014, 02:31 AM
WE DON'T HAVE TO JOIN A CONFERENCE FOR ALL SPORTS. THE SUMMIT IS FINE FOR NOW. ALL CONFERENCES ARE LOOKING TO EXPAND or solidify their position. They want to protect themselves from other conferences, particularly the SEC. You make it sound like joining a football only football conference is analogous to dating Kate Upton. WE ARE THE SOON-TO-BE-QUAD NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. Jesus Christ, with our attendance and are following we have something to offer to each of the 5 non Big Five conferences.

Then our conference invite must be lost in the mail....right? Hey I am not against a move up if or when it might happen. BUT WE DONT HAVE A CONFERENCE INVITE!! Some of you just don't get it!

NorthernBison
10-01-2014, 02:32 AM

Is that how it worked with GSU? You know exactly who said what to who and when? I love it when people are SO SURE about things they have no clue about.

Herd
10-01-2014, 02:33 AM
GT already has stated that he talked to the MWC or WAC that when they were discussing expansion that he wanted to make sure NDSU was in the discussion. How much more of a declaration do you need?

Stating that you will begin an FBS transition in football starting in 2018. That is how you declare your intention. Doing so would generate serious discussions with conferences.

Making a couple phone calls is same as nothing.

Herd
10-01-2014, 02:37 AM
Is that how it worked with GSU? You know exactly who said what to who and when? I love it when people are SO SURE about things they have no clue about.

Answer the question, did NDSU get a MVFC invite before or after a DI move was declared?

bisonaudit
10-01-2014, 02:38 AM
Stating that you will begin an FBS transition in football starting in 2018. That is how you declare your intention. Doing so would generate serious discussions with conferences.

it doesn't work like that anymore. You can't move up and be an independent. If you declare without a conference and then no one takes you you've got egg all over your face and you're still FCS.

56BISON73
10-01-2014, 02:38 AM

How can you begin a transition if you have nothing to transition to? The NCAA says you must have a conference affiliation to make such a move.

Plus how would making a bad business decision generate serious discussions when they have no plans for expansion?

Bisonator98
10-01-2014, 02:43 AM
Answer the question, did NDSU get a MVFC invite before or after a DI move was declared?

After but that was a different situation. We didn't need a conference invite to go DI in FCS but we do to go FBS. So we can say we want to go FBS all we want but it isn't going to do any good without a conference invite.

Best advice is to increase your donations to NDSU so that if or when something shakes out we are ready.

El_Chapo
10-01-2014, 02:54 AM
We have PUBLICLY ZERO ZILCH PROOF THAT NDSU ADMIN HAS SOLICITED THE MWC OR MAC!!

strongman is my boy, but gene didn't talk to them to persuade them to invite NDSU nor has Dean

NDSU in order to get an invite. .. (NO SHIT SHERLOCKS WE NEED AN INVITE WE KNOW THAT.....BUT ) OUR ADMIN HAS TO "SELL THEM" ON NDSU!!!!

You Debbie downers can say that to your blue in the face, it's your only comeback we get that.....but this is salesmanship 101.... NDSU has to get out and do this (sigh..with an associate ad from stony brook)

NDSU is too good for the Fcs my god, read the top 25 poll in the fcs, it's laughable to associate NDSU with those teams!

Herd
10-01-2014, 02:54 AM
Lets face it, NDSU has hit its peak, but FBS games will be impossibleto get going forward. Iowa State will be replaced with Upper Iowa. Our days of battling the mac and mwc for recruits will be gone, as will the days of top 40 teams. Without FBS games, we regress, period.

56BISON73
10-01-2014, 02:57 AM
We have PUBLICLY ZERO ZILCH PROOF THAT NDSU ADMIN HAS SOLICITED THE MWC OR MAC!!

strongman is my boy, but gene didn't talk to them to persuade them to invite NDSU nor has Dean

NDSU in order to get an invite. .. (NO SHIT SHERLOCKS WE NEED AN INVITE WE KNOW THAT.....BUT ) OUR ADMIN HAS TO "SELL THEM" ON NDSU!!!!

You Debbie downers can say that to your blue in the face, it's your only comeback we get that.....but this is salesmanship 101.... NDSU has to get out and do this (sigh..with an associate ad from stony brook)

NDSU is too good for the Fcs my god, read the top 25 poll in the fcs, it's laughable to associate NDSU with those teams!

You are calling Gene Taylor a liar?

NorthernBison
10-01-2014, 02:58 AM

We got an invite after we actually MOVED.

Moving from D2 to D1 is different than the FCS to FBS move. You can't move to FBS without a conference invitation.

You are stating that an announcement must be made before a conference will invite you. That defies logic. It would seem that simply letting conferences know we are interested would serve to give them notice. BTW, something that Gene has said that he did.

tjbison
10-01-2014, 02:59 AM

Remember when those teams currently in the fcs top 25 thought we were a joke....my god relax and take normal look at the situation.

Bisonator98

So how do we "sell" our lack of money, TV markets, stadium size, geographic location, etc. etc. El Cheapo???? Do tell!

bisonaudit

Don't remember the Great West?

tjbison
10-01-2014, 03:00 AM
So how do we "sell" our lack of money, TV markets, stadium size, geographic location, etc. etc. El Cheapo???? Do tell!

Don't ask , logic is slim with this one

El_Chapo
10-01-2014, 03:03 AM
Lets face it, NDSU has hit its peak, but FBS games will be impossibleto get going forward. Iowa State will be replaced with Upper Iowa. Our days of battling the mac and mwc for recruits will be gone, as will the days of top 40 teams. Without FBS games, we regress, period.

Absolutely. And we've lost 3 big coaches and an ad as well

I have said this 5 times now.

Money can be raised, $18mil into $30mil budget is doable creatively & aggressively.
TV markets. State of ND (NW MN)with 50% share is dam good , add FSN for regional.
Stadium size, doable with 22,000-23,000 (creative addition of seats, blow up ticket pride model!)
Geographic location ? WE FLY TO EVERY DAM GAME ALREADY, JESUS CRIPES, EVERYONE FLY's 5 times a year big deal.

Bisonator98
10-01-2014, 03:03 AM

I know. Don't know why we all keep getting sucked into this with him. It's like a merry go round!

Bisonator98
10-01-2014, 03:04 AM

That also goes back to our lack of money. Thank you for your donations BTW. :facepalm:

tjbison
10-01-2014, 03:04 AM

My god, so you think the mwc, mac, cusa, don't lose successful coaches? Happens all the damn time

tjbison
10-01-2014, 03:08 AM
I know. Don't know why we all keep getting sucked into this with him. It's like a merry go round!

I know I'm not a "knowledgeable" poster on every aspect but I'm ready to walk away, this place has be c one everything besides ndsu sports talk. Sad lakes can't see the facts in his message

semobison
10-01-2014, 03:15 AM
If or when we ever move to FBS, Bisonville, Lakes, and all who post here will have little or no impact on the decision!

tjbison
10-01-2014, 03:16 AM

I have said this 5 times now.

Money can be raised, $18mil into $30mil budget is doable creatively & aggressively.
TV markets. State of ND (NW MN)with 50% share is dam good , add FSN for regional.
Stadium size, doable with 22,000-23,000 (creative addition of seats, blow up ticket pride model!)
Geographic location ? WE FLY TO EVERY DAM GAME ALREADY, JESUS CRIPES, EVERYONE FLY's 5 times a year big deal.

lakes step your ass up and donate, I do and my company does...I'm tired of your talk but shit to back it up. I have season tickets, my company does and damn it they are full every game.

y o u don't even go to the games from what hear.....peace out if this is the model we want to follow fine

The real fans and supporters don't listen to this shit

NorthernBison
10-01-2014, 03:16 AM

Nobody divides Bison fans better. Later.

PS. Ever wonder why the other board flamed out? Pretty obvious, eh?

HotShot
10-01-2014, 03:17 AM
My god, so you think the mwc, mac, cusa, don't lose successful coaches? Happens all the damn time

He isn't the brightest bulb on the tree. Or the sharpest tool in the shed. I could go on.

HotShot
10-01-2014, 03:18 AM
lakes step your ass up and donate, I do and my company does...I'm tired of your talk but shit to back it up. I have season tickets, my company does and damn it they are full every game.

y o u don't even go to the games from what hear.....peace out if this is the model we want to follow fine

The real fans and supporters don't listen to this shit
I think he would get his ass kicked if he went. Get in line.

No_Skill
10-01-2014, 03:20 AM
If or when we ever move to FBS, Bisonville, Lakes, and all who post here will have little or no impact on the decision!

...but you know some will attempt to take credit.

El_Chapo
10-01-2014, 03:30 AM
I think he would get his ass kicked if he went. Get in line.

What are you trying to say?

I've donated plenty, you guys can shout me down all you want. This is the FBS THREAD... I'm obeying the rules, why don't you all grow up a little and stop with the threats and attacks!

Don't like my vision for NDSU. IGNORE IT. DONT POST IN THIS THREAD.

IF YOU WANT YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND AND IGNORE THAT WE ALREADY DOMINATE THIS DIVISION ....THEN WOW.

HotShot
10-01-2014, 03:33 AM
...but you know some will attempt to take credit.

Gee I wonder who.

HotShot
10-01-2014, 03:33 AM

I've donated plenty, you guys can shout me down all you want. This is the FBS THREAD... I'm obeying the rules, why don't you all grow up a little and stop with the threats and attacks!

IF YOU WANT YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND AND IGNORE THAT WE ALREADY DOMINATE THIS DIVISION ....THEN WOW.

Thought I was on ignore.

tjbison
10-01-2014, 03:41 AM
Nobody divides Bison fans better. Later.

PS. Ever wonder why the other board flamed out? Pretty obvious, eh?

He isn't the brightest bulb on the tree. Or the sharpest tool in the shed. I could go on.

You've donated plenty???? This program needs 50 million or more to begin to be competitve at the fbs level, facilities, school is etc.....my god why can't you understand the concept of this

El_Chapo
10-01-2014, 03:52 AM
NDSU FOOTBALL SELLS I bet they could raise $100 million in 1 year if a concentrated effort was made.

That's $50million.

Bada Bing, Bada BOOM

I'm just gonna repost this anytime someone asks where to get money for a FBS move or stadium fund.

175 posts in 12 hours. Bravo

tjbison
10-01-2014, 03:53 AM
thanks for the neg rep chapo, can't handle the truth?

DONATE....dump all the neg rep you want it's a message board fine with me......

tjbison
10-01-2014, 03:55 AM
I'm just gonna repost this anytime someone asks where to get money for a FBS move or stadium fund.

where's your trust fund you have bragged about?

El_Chapo
10-01-2014, 03:55 AM
I gave you the reason, I gave you truth none of you listen & blurt out the same lies about me day after day.

It's a message board, you're still my buddy!

tjbison
10-01-2014, 03:57 AM
I gave you the reason, I gave you truth none of you listen & blurt out the same lies about me day after day.

It's a message board, you're still my buddy!

I'd have a beer with you no problem, but you totally miss the facts behind this move..it's not as easy as you make it sound

Hail bison
10-01-2014, 04:02 AM
I'd have a beer with you no problem, but you totally miss the facts behind this move..it's not as easy as you make it sound

He owes me a shot. Maybe we could send him to woo Harold Hamm's soon to be ex wife. Of course there is that conference thing. Could the ex wife of an oil tycoon buy a conference?

El_Chapo
10-01-2014, 04:09 AM
I'm already on it!! She's wearing the gold...we never lose in that color! http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/harold-and-sue-ann-hamm.jpg

ndsubison1
10-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Georgia Southern announced its intentions to move to FBS in April of 2012. In March of 2013 is when they accepted an invite from the Sun Belt. Just saying...

El_Chapo
10-01-2014, 12:37 PM
^^^someone gets it.... you ANNOUNCE your "intentions" you put out "FEELERS" Publically so conferences "KNOW" you are for real......interesting concept.

We are 1 DJ fumble (brock int) from 50 STRAIGHT WINS. & 1 bad call from 4 TITLES!

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO PRO E AT FCS LEVEL. MY GOD PEOPLE. WE ALREADY DOMINATED FCS!

HotShot
10-01-2014, 12:45 PM
^^^someone gets it.... you ANNOUNCE your "intentions" you put out "FEELERS" Publically so conferences "KNOW" you are for real......interesting concept.

We are 1 DJ fumble (brock int) from 50 STRAIGHT WINS. & 1 bad call from 4 TITLES!

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO PRO E AT FCS LEVEL. MY GOD PEOPLE. WE ALREADY DOMINATED FCS!

Do you actually have a life? Serious question.

Mayville Bison
10-01-2014, 01:56 PM

That's $50million.

Bada Bing, Bada BOOM

1- That doesn't raise $100M in one year. You say so in your own post (1000 donors at $2000/year over 20 years is $2M in one year, not $40M).
2- You are always going to have more donors at the lower price threshold than the higher one, so you should have 500 donors at $2000/year ($1M) and 1000 donors at $500/year ($.5M).
3- You will either need a helluva lot more than $100M to make the move with a new stadium or quite a bit less to make the move without a new stadium.

Not sure why everyone is having a problem with this "discussion" - at least the talk is mainly contained to this thread. I'm in the wait and see camp, but I know what to expect when I click on this thread. Actually, I wish I could unblock El_Chapo for this thread only.

1998braves64
10-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Georgia Southern announced its intentions to move to FBS in April of 2012. In March of 2013 is when they accepted an invite from the Sun Belt. Just saying...

That also was the year NCAA changed the rule for moving to FBS requires a conference invite. They could have gone independent if some odd reason SB bailed on them.

Also pretty sure they had a good idea they would receive the invite I think they did the announcement so that if sun belt didn't take them they technically could still have gone FBS. Their geography helps too as they are in footprint of a couple FBS conferences. NDSU doesn't except for P5 fringes and we all know we're not getting into a P5.

El_Chapo
10-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Just LOOK at the garbage teams/programs in the fcs! NDSU has zero zero zero business with them!

Team (First-place votes) 2014 Record Points Previous Rank
1. North Dakota State Bison (153) 4-0 4017 1
2. Eastern Washington Eagles (8) 4-1 3865 2
3. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 5-0 3501 3
4. New Hampshire Wildcats 3-1 3408 4
5. McNeese State Cowboys 2-1 3274 5
6. Villanova Wildcats 3-1 3249 6
7. Montana Grizzlies 3-2 3000 7
8. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 3-1 2888 8
9. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 3-1 2710 9
10. Northern Iowa Panthers 2-2 2489 10
11. Southeastern Louisiana Lions 3-2 2308 11
12. William & Mary Tribe 4-1 1999 12
13. Montana State Bobcats 3-2 1902 13
14. Chattanooga Mocs 2-2 1661 14
15. Southern Illinois Salukis 4-1 1615 17
16. Fordham Rams 4-1 1614 16
17. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 3-1 1479 15
18. Youngstown State Penguins 3-1 1351 18
19. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 4-0 1222 19
20. Richmond Spiders 2-2 1066 20
21. Tennessee State Tigers 4-1 858 21
22. Illinois State Redbirds 3-0 600 23
23. Albany Great Danes 4-0 453 24
24. Delaware Blue Hens 3-1 343 25
25. Indiana State Sycamores 3-1 270 NR
Others receiving votes: Missouri State 147, Charleston Southern 146, Northern Arizona 142, Sam Houston State 105, Southeast Missouri State 72, Liberty 62, North Carolina A&T 61, Alabama State 57, Harvard 50, Alcorn State 40, Yale 39, Samford 25, Maine 24, Northwestern State 22, South Dakota 20, Furman 20, Eastern Illinois 19, Towson 17, Bucknell 16, Presbyterian 15, South Carolina State 13, Saint Francis-PA 11, Bryant 10, Abilene Christian 9, Wofford 9, Western Carolina 8, Tennessee Tech 5, James Madison 4, Jacksonville 4, Sacred Heart 3, San Diego 3, Central Arkansas 2, Lafayette 2, Stephen F. Austin 1.

SDbison
10-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Ohio St. tickets average sale price on the secondary market is over $260 bucks. Their stadium must not be big enough either. Killing the program. Football stadiums don't get much bigger than 100,000.........but 19,000 is nothing for size.

bisonaudit
10-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Football stadiums don't get much bigger than 100,000.........but 19,000 is nothing for size.

Why not? .

El_Chapo
10-01-2014, 06:04 PM
19,000 could work in the MAC / Sun Belt. and we'd make it like DUKE Basketball.. only 9000 capacity, but its hard to get tickets, its a privledge and its expensive.

NDSU could do $50 & $75 tickets for entire stadium and sell out and make more money.

NDSUstudent
10-01-2014, 06:13 PM
I always love the Fargodome and Duke comparison. Duke can play in a tiny old school gym because the school has a $6 billion endowment and gets a nice fat TV revenue check from the ACC. They can afford to do whatever in the heck they want to do.

NDSUstudent
10-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Football stadiums don't get much bigger than 100,000.........but 19,000 is nothing for size.

OSU did just add 3k seats, not a huge number but at least they are trying to accommodate some of their demand.

I do agree 100% with those that say NDSU has a stadium issue, we have zero room for growth. This is an issue whether we go FBS or not, people want tickets and they have zero shot to get them. Fargo is a growing city, ND is a growing state and NDSU is a growing university. If you want to grow team makers and grow NDSU athletics the dome will have to be addressed.

mnriverbison
10-01-2014, 07:03 PM
I always love the Fargodome and Duke comparison. Duke can play in a tiny old school gym because the school has a $6 billion endowment and gets a nice fat TV revenue check from the ACC. They can afford to do whatever in the heck they want to do.

And that is where we are. The real tipping point in sports money is TV money. That solves all other problems. And that is the rub for NDSU. ND is growing, but NDSU would need to be a national brand with a national audience in order to succeed at the highest levels. That is a tall order.

bisonaudit
10-01-2014, 07:14 PM
OSU did just add 3k seats, not a huge number but at least they are trying to accommodate some of their demand.

I do agree 100% with those that say NDSU has a stadium issue, we have zero room for growth. This is an issue whether we go FBS or not, people want tickets and they have zero shot to get them. Fargo is a growing city, ND is a growing state and NDSU is a growing university. If you want to grow team makers and grow NDSU athletics the dome will have to be addressed.

And that's fine, but NDSU is going to have to do it with their own money.

loudsilverado
10-01-2014, 07:23 PM
I hate the Duke basketball comparison

MNLonghorn10
10-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Just LOOK at the garbage teams/programs in the fcs! NDSU has zero zero zero business with them!

Team (First-place votes) 2014 Record Points Previous Rank
1. North Dakota State Bison (153) 4-0 4017 1
2. Eastern Washington Eagles (8) 4-1 3865 2
3. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 5-0 3501 3
4. New Hampshire Wildcats 3-1 3408 4
5. McNeese State Cowboys 2-1 3274 5
6. Villanova Wildcats 3-1 3249 6
7. Montana Grizzlies 3-2 3000 7
8. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 3-1 2888 8
9. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 3-1 2710 9
10. Northern Iowa Panthers 2-2 2489 10
11. Southeastern Louisiana Lions 3-2 2308 11
12. William & Mary Tribe 4-1 1999 12
13. Montana State Bobcats 3-2 1902 13
14. Chattanooga Mocs 2-2 1661 14
15. Southern Illinois Salukis 4-1 1615 17
16. Fordham Rams 4-1 1614 16
17. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 3-1 1479 15
18. Youngstown State Penguins 3-1 1351 18
19. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 4-0 1222 19
20. Richmond Spiders 2-2 1066 20
21. Tennessee State Tigers 4-1 858 21
22. Illinois State Redbirds 3-0 600 23
23. Albany Great Danes 4-0 453 24
24. Delaware Blue Hens 3-1 343 25
25. Indiana State Sycamores 3-1 270 NR
Others receiving votes: Missouri State 147, Charleston Southern 146, Northern Arizona 142, Sam Houston State 105, Southeast Missouri State 72, Liberty 62, North Carolina A&T 61, Alabama State 57, Harvard 50, Alcorn State 40, Yale 39, Samford 25, Maine 24, Northwestern State 22, South Dakota 20, Furman 20, Eastern Illinois 19, Towson 17, Bucknell 16, Presbyterian 15, South Carolina State 13, Saint Francis-PA 11, Bryant 10, Abilene Christian 9, Wofford 9, Western Carolina 8, Tennessee Tech 5, James Madison 4, Jacksonville 4, Sacred Heart 3, San Diego 3, Central Arkansas 2, Lafayette 2, Stephen F. Austin 1.

Gross...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Bison03
10-01-2014, 10:25 PM
You seriously think the MAC or Mountain West will invite us? Not a chance. What does the Fargo media market offer them? Nothing. The success of the football team has little to do with if a conference wants you, believe it or not. App St has been average since their 3 peat and they got an invite. Why? Location and media market. Why did the Big 10 want Maryland and Rutgers? Because they were both football powerhouses? Ha! Hardly. They wanted the New York and D.C. Media markets. You crazy FBS at all costs people think that because we are the best team in fcs that we should move up. Should the best DII team move to the FCS for that same reason? No. It's not as simple as some of you think.

El_Chapo
10-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Bison03. Have we not already dominated this league? Seriously. Those teams I listed are NOT NDSU PEER INSTITUITIONS!!

NDSU it's players, it's alumni, it's academia deserves to be at the highest level and we aren't right now. Yes the mountain west would invite NDSU IF OUR ADMIN SOLD THEM ON IT..... 50% share of 800-1,000,000 people (ND & NW MN) is better than 10% share of 2 million or less in Laramie, ft Collins, Boise state, unlv.... Right??

NDSU has a Nebraska/Wisconsin following in terms of loyalty in a lesser extent.

56BISON73
10-01-2014, 11:25 PM
You seriously think the MAC or Mountain West will invite us? Not a chance. What does the Fargo media market offer them? Nothing. The success of the football team has little to do with if a conference wants you, believe it or not. App St has been average since their 3 peat and they got an invite. Why? Location and media market. Why did the Big 10 want Maryland and Rutgers? Because they were both football powerhouses? Ha! Hardly. They wanted the New York and D.C. Media markets. You crazy FBS at all costs people think that because we are the best team in fcs that we should move up. Should the best DII team move to the FCS for that same reason? No. It's not as simple as some of you think.
:biggrin:
You hit the nail on the head. But dont try and confuse them with facts when nonsensical rhetoric will work just as well.

td577
10-01-2014, 11:28 PM
The only way we are getting an invite to any conference is by which conference ESPN makes send out an invite. That simple. They are the only ones right now buying into NDSU hard. Boise had the blue field, NDSU has Fargo. They see that as a national draw. People are enamored with everything Fargo right now. I don't know how long this wave lasts, but the reality is ESPN keeps sticking their toes in the water not because of the local media market but to see if there is a national draw, like a Boise State.

It's tough to tell without going full Bison on this. Espn3 is really about die-hard football fans and they are probably choosing the MAC game over a MVFC game if they are head to head. If there was a national broadcast, would NDSU draw the casual fan? Boise State does mostly because of the time they are willing to play. There are so many things that have to try out to even know what could work and no one has the time or money to let it all play out.

We may never know and not because it couldn't happen but rather because it won't happen.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
10-02-2014, 02:38 PM
FBS WILL NOT CHANGE ACCORDING TO COLORADO STATE PRES . NDSU NEEDS TO ASSUME NOTHING WILL CHANGE:

People have wondered whether now is a good time to invest in a stadium given concerns about football, attendance trends, and changes within the NCAA. Although my roles on the Mountain West Conference Board and a couple of other responsibilities related to college football nationally give me a bit of insight into these issues.

Having said that, I have my personal beliefs that (to my mind) are consonant with likely outcomes. I think football will continue to be played as a competitive sport, including the intercollegiate level, and I believe it will continue to be immensely popular. I think fluctuations in attendance have more to do with pricing and technology than popularity, and I believe that competitive teams in a modern venue will draw fans to games. I don't see any historical or projected evidence this won't be true at CSU if we field competitive teams. The projected demographic changes for Northern Colorado would also argue that we are not competing for a static audience, and I think that will provide additional opportunities. I believe that the FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) structure will remain intact, and I think the College Football Playoff structure adds to this stability.

While NCAA autonomy changes could make competition for schools outside the Resource 5 conferences a bit more complex, I don't see these changes as being substantially greater than discrepancies that already exist and against which we are already competing. On this topic, I think having a facility capable of substantial expansion but also capable of serving the campus well in its present form is an important way to preserve options well into the future for those who will be entrusted with the responsibility of caring for this university after our time has passed. And I do feel that an appropriate on-campus facility capable of sustaining lacrosse, soccer, commencements, convocations, and the like has much more to do with the culture of our campus community than simply football.

El_Chapo
10-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Remember this article? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2181753-why-the-big-12-should-extend-invite-to-top-fcs-team-north-dakota-state

NorthernBison
10-02-2014, 02:54 PM
If anybody thinks post #202 makes the case for moving up, they are wrong. It says exactly the opposite. It says we are at the 2nd level of college football which is where we can be truly successful and that the first level isn't going to change.

Trumpster
10-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Having said that, I have my personal beliefs that (to my mind) are consonant with likely outcomes. I think football will continue to be played as a competitive sport, including the intercollegiate level, and I believe it will continue to be immensely popular. I think fluctuations in attendance have more to do with pricing and technology than popularity, and I believe that competitive teams in a modern venue will draw fans to games. .

I was just like, wow El Lakes can make sense even if I don't agree with all of his points. Then I realized he was quoting the CSU official. :facepalm:

1998braves64
10-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Of course he's going to do his best to make sure that FBS stays intact including spinning it to his own fan base so they will donate for a new stadium which is what that seems to be the item is written about. Because the G5 don't want to be in "2nd" tier level. Anyone paying attention to college football knows that likely is still in the air at this point.

At least you brought something new and substantial to table. Kudos. Keep it up!
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

NorthernBison
10-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Of course he's going to do his best to make sure that FBS stays intact including spinning it to his own fan base so they will donate for a new stadium which is what that seems to be the item is written about. Because the G5 don't want to be in "2nd" tier level. Anyone paying attention to college football knows that likely is still in the air at this point.

At least you brought something new and substantial to table. Kudos. Keep it up!
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.
They could very easily keep all 10 FBS conferences in place just like they are now. The problem that looms is how they deal with the "Playoff" going forward. Four teams is the only structure that ensures even minor relevance for the Bowls. That's a huge "Catch-22" because a 4 team playoff leaves out a minimum of at least one P5 Champion and expanding the field to even 8 teams destroys the rest of the Bowls without offering any assurances to the G5 conferences of getting a team into the field. The term "Dying on the Vine" comes to mind. The G5 become the walking dead at that point.

Strongman
10-06-2014, 12:08 AM
The Big 5? Pretty soon is will be known as the BIG ONE---THE SEC. IF the SEC can get their dream three teams: Florida State, Oklahoma and Texas, they pretty much have a corner on big time college football. 3/4 of the top ranked teams are from the SEC. How absurd is that.

El_Chapo
10-07-2014, 01:14 AM
Check out these FCS teams in the top 25

Charleston Southern
Alcorn State
Tennessee State

WOW .. depressing.

bisonaudit
10-07-2014, 09:42 AM
The Big 5? Pretty soon is will be known as the BIG ONE---THE SEC. IF the SEC can get their dream three teams: Florida State, Oklahoma and Texas, they pretty much have a corner on big time college football. 3/4 of the top ranked teams are from the SEC. How absurd is that.

Not quite as absurd as what the MVFC is doing to FCS.

El_Chapo
10-08-2014, 08:42 PM
El Chapo's hometown newspaper tackles the NDSU to FBS question

http://www.wahpetondailynews.com/sports/article_42ffe41c-4a46-11e4-9323-af685c02b00e.html

ndsubison1
10-08-2014, 08:50 PM

http://www.wahpetondailynews.com/sports/article_42ffe41c-4a46-11e4-9323-af685c02b00e.html

Idaho is in the Sun Belt. CSU, Air Forice, and Wyoming are farther east than the Montanas so point 1 is moot. If the MWC really wanted us they would come after us. Location is important but not a huge deal. His point 2 about needing a bigger stadium no we wouldnt. We average larger crowds then some FBS teams already. Not saying we should move up, just pointing out somethings that people are wrong on.

El_Chapo
10-08-2014, 09:07 PM
I concur.

the new AD not having any FBS experience whatsoever is now the biggest hurdle.
(heck he doesn't have AD experience period)

loudsilverado
10-08-2014, 09:47 PM

I thought you were from Paynesville?

El_Chapo
10-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Idaho is in the Sun Belt. CSU, Air Forice, and Wyoming are farther east than the Montanas so point 1 is moot. If the MWC really wanted us they would come after us. Location is important but not a huge deal. His point 2 about needing a bigger stadium no we wouldnt. We average larger crowds then some FBS teams already. Not saying we should move up, just pointing out somethings that people are wrong on.

Something everyone needs to remember. NDSU could join FBS as a Football only and not skip a beat anywhere else and continue with the summit....however the mountain west in other sports would be a great step up for our non football teams.

lets say NDSU joins the MAC as a Football Only... thats 5-6 home games and ONLY 5 trips to (Northern Illinois, Western Mich, Central Mich, Ball State, Toledo) that wouldnt be that big of a deal, we fly anyways to every school.

acf2
10-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Welcome to tuesday night football at the FargoDome. Kick off is set for 9:30 as the second half of the ESPNU double header.

El_Chapo
10-09-2014, 06:23 PM
bullshit. that would maybe happen 1 time in like 4 years. big deal.

there is only 3 weeks of MAC TUE/WED games this year.

Central Michigan isnt in any of them...so you dont necessarily get stuck on tue/wed night.

but keep the fear mongering up

http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/schedule/_/id/15/mid-american-conference

Mid-American - West W-L PF PA W-L PF PA STRK
Toledo 3-0 96 70 4-2 208 197 W3
Northern Illinois 1-0 17 14 4-1 157 118 W1
Central Michigan 1-1 56 52 3-3 127 149 W1
Western Michigan 0-1 19 20 2-3 160 145 L2
Eastern Michigan 0-1 6 31 1-4 54 214 L4
Ball State 0-1 23 34 1-4 110 121 L4

NDSU would win this conference every year!

56BISON73
10-09-2014, 08:27 PM
bullshit. that would maybe happen 1 time in like 4 years. big deal.

there is only 3 weeks of MAC TUE/WED games this year.

Central Michigan isnt in any of them...so you dont necessarily get stuck on tue/wed night.

but keep the fear mongering up

http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/schedule/_/id/15/mid-american-conference

Mid-American - West W-L PF PA W-L PF PA STRK
Toledo 3-0 96 70 4-2 208 197 W3
Northern Illinois 1-0 17 14 4-1 157 118 W1
Central Michigan 1-1 56 52 3-3 127 149 W1
Western Michigan 0-1 19 20 2-3 160 145 L2
Eastern Michigan 0-1 6 31 1-4 54 214 L4
Ball State 0-1 23 34 1-4 110 121 L4

NDSU would win this conference every year!

So whats the challenge? Whats the upside to moving up? I thought you wanted to reach for the stars and not stagnate?????? It seems we have better competition where we are. And a playoff system.

El_Chapo
10-11-2014, 09:59 PM
30 straight wins 38-10 over #11 team. Impossible to find tickets it was boring we didn't even play great on offense!!

Lots of calls on bison rewind pimping fbs new stadium etc. It's time people

THEsocalledfan
10-11-2014, 10:08 PM
30 straight wins 38-10 over #11 team. Impossible to find tickets it was boring we didn't even play great on offense!!

Lots of calls on bison rewind pimping fbs new stadium etc. It's time people

Yet, I am laughed off the show again, and ripped by a fellow poster in the GDT thread. I just don't understand why some many consider the current situation "good enough." It is not and NDSU can still do better, and no, I don't think we should immediately move to FBS.

El_Chapo
10-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Dude. Your call was great. I'm seriously convinced the ah shucks small time crowd wants to be big dog in small kennel forever and likes being trophy chasers (aka st thomas academy) The dome was quiet as hell today students left when we went up 24-10 & we dominated by not even playing well offensively

Flow 2-3-4-5
10-12-2014, 01:27 AM
Seriously, what is the appeal of moving up to FBS the way it is structured now? So we can play in some crappy 3rd rate Bowl game on a weeknight in a half full stadium in mid December? Yippe!! That would sure make us Big Time!!

Now if there is a shake-up and the Bison and the upper level MVC teams are in a division with Georgia Southern/Ap State/others who recently departed FCS and other non P-5 schools AND we get a playoff system to play for a legit championship?? Then I am all in.

Strongman
10-12-2014, 01:31 AM
Seriously, what is the appeal of moving up to FBS the way it is structured now? So we can play in some crappy 3rd rate Bowl game on a weeknight in a half full stadium in mid December? Yippe!! That would sure make us Big Time!!

Now if there is a shake-up and the Bison and the upper level MVC teams are in a division with Georgia Southern/Ap State/others who recently departed FCS and other non P-5 schools AND we get a playoff system to play for a legit championship?? Then I am all in.

The appeal is playing in a 20 team playoff. 4 teams is going to grow to 8--16--then 20. The Bowl system will be dead within 8 years.

56BISON73
10-12-2014, 01:39 AM
The appeal is playing in a 20 team playoff. 4 teams is going to grow to 8--16--then 20. The Bowl system will be dead within 8 years.

64 TEAMS IN THE POWER 5. How many do you think they are going to let in out of their conference?????? NONE!

marenlee
10-12-2014, 01:42 AM

20 teams????? OK......

Strongman
10-12-2014, 01:57 AM
There are billions of dollars in a 19 game national playoff. The "small" five conferences have more power than you think. Without them and others the NCAA basketball tournament loses its appeal.

BTW, 80% of all ADs polled indicated the playoffs will be expanded within the next 10 years. Nobody in college football believes the current 12 year contract will NOT be broken when there are billions of dollars to be made. The SEC is going to bitch this year if they only have 2 teams or less in playoffs. If that happens, you could have 8 teams within two years.

56BISON73
10-12-2014, 02:05 AM
There are billions of dollars in a 19 game national playoff. The "small" five conferences have more power than you think. Without them and others the NCAA basketball tournament loses its appeal.

Different animal.

Flow 2-3-4-5
10-12-2014, 02:24 AM

BTW, 80% of all ADs polled indicated the playoffs will be expanded within the next 10 years. Nobody in college football believes the current 12 year contract will NOT be broken when there are billions of dollars to be made. The SEC is going to bitch this year if they only have 2 teams or less in playoffs. If that happens, you could have 8 teams within two years.

Even if FBS eventually goes to an 8, 16, or 20 team playoff, the Bison and teams like us would not get one of those spots so then what are we left playing for?? A spot in the prestigious Beef O' Brady's Bowl? No thanks!!

THEsocalledfan
10-12-2014, 02:30 AM
No one knows what is coming, but NDSU needs to be planning a stadium so they are ready for whatever comes.

El_Chapo
10-12-2014, 02:35 AM
Espn news channel.207. Tulane ' s new stadium. 40,000 cost $60 million that's all we need

Hail bison
10-12-2014, 02:37 AM
Espn news channel.207. Tulane ' s new stadium. 40,000 cost $60 million that's all we need

60 mil for 40k seats would have to be a shit box chapo

NDSUstudent
10-12-2014, 02:39 AM
60 mil for 40k seats would have to be a shit box chapo

Well for Tulane it was $75 million for 30k. Get your facts right Chapo

1998braves64
10-12-2014, 02:40 AM

Huh you added 10,000 seats and you dropped the cost by $15 million. I see how all this new stadium cost figuring works!! Maybe we should do a 50000 stadium for $45 million.

marenlee
10-12-2014, 02:40 AM

Dammit Chapo. You are never consistent with your numbers. Their stadium holds 30,000 and cost 75 million. You're off by just a tad. You're not helping the argument at all when you can't even be consistent with anything.

unbison
10-12-2014, 02:56 AM
Dammit Chapo. You are never consistent with your numbers. Their stadium holds 30,000 and cost 75 million. You're off by just a tad. You're not helping the argument at all when you can't even be consistent with anything.

If any of you know this guy you there is always some factoring involved in his stories

Strongman
10-12-2014, 03:21 AM
By the way, how is Georgia Southern doing with their move up? 5-2, and undefeated in the Sun Belt with two close losses to Big 5 opponents. If they win out, they should be ranked in top 25 and play in a decent bowl. Unless NDSU joins the conference (more internet chatter on it) Georgia Southern has positioned itself nicely to get playoff bid when playoffs expand to 16 or 20. (10 conference winners receive automatic bids and top 10 @ large teams.)

bisonpride4ever
10-12-2014, 03:28 AM
Georgia Southern not eligible for a bowl

Sent using both a Speak-n-Spell and an Etch-a-Sketch

El_Chapo
10-12-2014, 03:28 AM
Strongman absolutely! !

Ok el_chapo research shows 30,000 for $75 million. .... it looks awesome. That's all we need

Hell 40,000 for. $100 million. If NDSU started fundraising tomorrow and advertised it with a big thermometer showing the fundraising status outside the SHAC.. we could hit it in 1 year

We are freakin 49-2 3 titles when is enough enough?

72-3? 89-3? Cmon man we own this time for a challenge

Flow 2-3-4-5
10-12-2014, 03:32 AM
By the way, how is Georgia Southern doing with their move up? 5-2, and undefeated in the Sun Belt with two close losses to Big 5 opponents. If they win out, they should be ranked in top 25 and play in a decent bowl. Unless NDSU joins the conference (more internet chatter on it) Georgia Southern has positioned itself nicely to get playoff bid when playoffs expand to 16 or 20. (10 conference winners receive automatic bids and top 10 @ large teams.)

Good for GSU, glad they are doing well because I like their program. But if you think a playoff selection committee would select a non P5 school for a 20 team playoff field you are delusional. There would be no Cinderella teams in March Madness if it was only a 20 team tournament. The big boys aren't going to share. Why do you think they decided to set their own rules?

Strongman
10-12-2014, 03:35 AM
Georgia Southern is conditionally eligible for a bowl game. If there are not enough teams eligible, they are ranked, or a bowl committee wants them. Obviously, only the 2nd or 3rd conditions are possible.

Flow 2-3-4-5
10-12-2014, 03:39 AM
[QUOTE=El_Chapo;927618]Strongman absolutely! !

Ok el_chapo research shows 30,000 for $75 million. .... it looks awesome. That's all we need

Hell 40,000 for. $100 million. If NDSU started fundraising tomorrow and advertised it with a big thermometer showing the fundraising status outside the SHAC.. we could hit it in 1 year

Yeah, that's right, my bad. I forgot how quick and easy it was to raise that $18 million for the BSA renovation. $100 million should be no problem!

Strongman
10-12-2014, 03:43 AM
Good for GSU, glad they are doing well because I like their program. But if you think a playoff selection committee would select a non P5 school for a 20 team playoff field you are delusional. There would be no Cinderella teams in March Madness if it was only a 20 team tournament. The big boys aren't going to share. Why do you think they decided to set their own rules?

The current playoff system makes all teams eligible for the playoffs. They won't change that because to do so would be illegal--a violation of federal antitrust law.

Your statement is simply not true. Even if they don't have automatic bids to non Big Five teams. There are always 2 to 4 teams in the top 20 that are not in the Big 5. Currently, there are two teams.

56BISON73
10-12-2014, 03:49 AM
The current playoff system makes all teams eligible for the playoffs. They won't change that because to do so would be illegal--a violation of federal antitrust law.

Your statement is simply not true. Even if they don't have automatic bids to non Big Five teams. There are always 2 to 4 teams in the top 20 that are not in the Big 5. Currently, there are two teams.

You keep beating that drum.

El_Chapo
10-12-2014, 03:53 AM
[QUOTE=El_Chapo;927618]Strongman absolutely! !

Yeah, that's right, my bad. I forgot how quick and easy it was to raise that $18 million for the BSA renovation. $100 million should be no problem!

Raising $100 million for football would be 100 times easier than $40 million for basketball. You are kidding right? Football is king fool

Flow 2-3-4-5
10-12-2014, 03:57 AM

Being eligible and being selected are two different things me boy! If a team isn't in one of the P5 conferences the latter ain't happenin.

Strongman
10-12-2014, 03:59 AM
At 4 teams correct. At 16 or 20 teams incorrect.

56BISON73
10-12-2014, 04:26 AM
At 4 teams correct. At 16 or 20 teams incorrect.

So this is a fact?

ndsubison1
10-12-2014, 07:35 AM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/lkrwtf.gif

bisonpride4ever
10-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Georgia Southern would have to get a waiver approved if there weren't enough teams. But as far as I can tell, teams in similar situations with bowl eligible records have always had their waiver denied.

natstar1
10-12-2014, 04:54 PM
We'll all be dead by the time the playoffs expand to 20 teams.