PDA

View Full Version : A new and better FBS thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

56BISON73
09-02-2022, 09:47 PM
I disagree.... the public pressure would be immense

you're saying Cincinnati doesn't get into a 12 team playoff but got into the 4 team?

haha get out

1 or 2 G5 teams will get in this yearly

From where and whom would be applying this pressure?

MWC
09-02-2022, 09:58 PM
The highest ranked G5 conference will get an automatic berth in the playoff for their champion.

That means at least one G5 school every year.

The at large spots will be very hard to come by for G5..

MWC
09-02-2022, 10:07 PM
I do think this will probably put an end to the conference merry go round for a few years. The current P5 conferences get automatic bids.

El_Chapo
09-02-2022, 10:07 PM
The highest ranked G5 conference will get an automatic berth in the playoff for their champion.

this is true... but don't tell me if Nevada is 13-0 w 2 OOC wins over good opponents that they wouldn't get in if CUSA is the highest rated conference?

the public would demand it.. aka pressure

MWC
09-02-2022, 10:13 PM
this is true... but don't tell me if Nevada is 13-0 w 2 OOC wins over good opponents that they wouldn't get in if CUSA is the highest rated conference?

the public would demand it.. aka pressure

It is a long shot as an at large. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

AKBison
09-02-2022, 10:16 PM
12 teams based on the committee rankings. Even an undefeated NDSU in the Mountain West with a win over Minnesota won't punch a ticket to December madness.

Check again...It 12 team with top 6 conference champs getting an autobid.

El_Chapo
09-02-2022, 10:17 PM

ohhhhhh. when pac 10 folds then MWC champ will be in every year and NDSU needs to sell their soul to get in NOW!!!

MWC
09-02-2022, 10:19 PM
https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/mountain-west-commish-craig-thompson-weighs-in-on-college-football-playoffs-expansion

MWC
09-02-2022, 10:21 PM
ohhhhhh. when pac 10 folds then MWC champ will be in every year and NDSU needs to sell their soul to get in NOW!!!

I think you can keep your soul..I don't believe the Pac 10 will be folding.

AKBison
09-02-2022, 11:09 PM
More details have been released. Top 4 get a buy and all first round games will be hosted on campus (or venue of their choice) by higher seed. Can you imagine the complete chaos in this state if we hosted an SEC team in an 8/9 matchup? It would be pandemonium.

TAILG8R
09-02-2022, 11:16 PM
More important than ever to get good programs into your conference vs media markets????

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MWC
09-02-2022, 11:49 PM
I really think your best avenue is to sell your soul to the AAC. They will be losing Cincy, UCF and Houston soon.

23Bison
09-03-2022, 12:26 AM
More important than ever to get good programs into your conference vs media markets????

That would be the smart thing to do so I doubt it happens.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 12:27 AM
12 team playoff 2026

IF WE ARENT FBS SOON. THEN FUCK OFF

Hopefully the G5 playoff system is announced too. That's where NDSU belongs.

56BISON73
09-03-2022, 12:49 AM
12 team playoff 2026

IF WE ARENT FBS SOON. THEN FUCK OFF

We wont be involved even if we were fbs.

TAILG8R
09-03-2022, 12:59 AM
We wont be involved even if we were fbs.I'm not sure that's actually true. The top G5 getting an auto bid puts us in play. As much as any other G5 imo. At least after a handful of years gearing up.

El_Chapo
09-03-2022, 01:14 AM
Josh Criswell

@criswell_sports

·

4h

Yep. And with the AAC losing its best teams, the Mountain West has to feel good about its chances to be in the mix for the No. 6 spot most years.

NDSU ADMIN. call the MWC say. "in light of new playoff format! NDSU is willing to do what it takes to get an invite asap... you need 1-2 neutral games? done, take a lesser percentage of tv money if we can keep our local tv...fine!!!"

El_Chapo
09-03-2022, 01:15 AM
More details have been released. Top 4 get a buy and all first round games will be hosted on campus (or venue of their choice) by higher seed. Can you imagine the complete chaos in this state if we hosted an SEC team in an 8/9 matchup? It would be pandemonium.

you'd have to move that to US BANK

PL BISON & DADDY DAYCARE can become cobber fans then

56BISON73
09-03-2022, 01:18 AM
I'm not sure that's actually true. The top G5 getting an auto bid puts us in play. As much as any other G5 imo. At least after a handful of years gearing up.

With the bigs controlling this they will figure out a way to get a couple of teams from each of there mega conferences to get in. NCAA is letting them run the show and have from inception. Only way a non power 5 team gets in is if the politicos bring pressure. The politicos are the only reason we have a playoff now. The threat of political involvement is the only thing that moves the needle.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 01:42 AM
you'd have to move that to US BANK

PL BISON & DADDY DAYCARE can become cobber fans then

NDSU vs a SEC team at US BANK? A whole new box checked in the "shit that will never happen" part of the arguement.

NDSU belongs G5. That's where they'll end up.

Rock
09-03-2022, 01:50 AM
With the bigs controlling this they will figure out a way to get a couple of teams from each of there mega conferences to get in. NCAA is letting them run the show and have from inception. Only way a non power 5 team gets in is if the politicos bring pressure. The politicos are the only reason we have a playoff now. The threat of political involvement is the only thing that moves the needle.

Man- F those guys man. NDSU is the BIG.

They just don’t know it yet. How does a Bison out Swagger those supposed “bigs”?

Quit playing by their rules man. No more finesse.

Blunt force trauma.

Bison Football.

El_Chapo
09-03-2022, 01:56 AM
NDSU vs a SEC team at US BANK? A whole new box checked in the "shit that will never happen" part of the arguement.

dude the scenario we are talking about is IF NDSU WAS MWC and got a 8 seed and played a SEC team as a 9 in a Playoff. WE'D have to move it to US BANK and we'd sell 60,000+

56BISON73
09-03-2022, 01:57 AM

Yep. And the bigs aren't going to share any piece of the pie. That was one of the purposes of gaining autonomy.

MWC
09-03-2022, 02:00 AM
Josh Criswell

@criswell_sports

·

4h

Yep. And with the AAC losing its best teams, the Mountain West has to feel good about its chances to be in the mix for the No. 6 spot most years.

NDSU ADMIN. call the MWC say. "in light of new playoff format! NDSU is willing to do what it takes to get an invite asap... you need 1-2 neutral games? done, take a lesser percentage of tv money if we can keep our local tv...fine!!!"

If the 12 members of the MW are already in the 6th auto bid hunt, I am not sure they would be looking to add..

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 02:01 AM
dude the scenario we are talking about is IF NDSU WAS MWC and got a 8 seed and played a SEC team as a 9 in a Playoff. WE'D have to move it to US BANK and we'd sell 60,000+

Yeah no shit. That'll never happen in our lifetimes. Stop making up scenarios that aren't realistic and I'll get behind them.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 02:02 AM
If the 12 members of the MW are already in the 6th auto bid hunt, I am not sure they would be looking to add..

Stop that common sense now. We are planning a game at US Bank against Georgia.

Rock
09-03-2022, 02:04 AM
Yep. And the bigs aren't going to share any piece of the pie. That was one of the purposes of gaining autonomy.

Do the “bigs” have to share with Liberty?

Our Lady of the Rich?

ROBOTIC BISON INDEPENDENCE OR BUST!! TM

Rock
09-03-2022, 02:06 AM
Maintain our FCS Schedule as we ramp up???

Bros??? You seeing this???

Rock
09-03-2022, 02:07 AM
Like a well written novel man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
09-03-2022, 02:07 AM
Yeah no shit. That'll never happen in our lifetimes. Stop making up scenarios that aren't realistic and I'll get behind them.

Bookmarking this post. see ya at Cowboy Jack's in 2028!!

TAILG8R
09-03-2022, 02:11 AM
With the bigs controlling this they will figure out a way to get a couple of teams from each of there mega conferences to get in. NCAA is letting them run the show and have from inception. Only way a non power 5 team gets in is if the politicos bring pressure. The politicos are the only reason we have a playoff now. The threat of political involvement is the only thing that moves the needle.From what I've been reading it sure sounds like a. G5 will get a seat at the playoff table each year when all is said and done.

56BISON73
09-03-2022, 02:15 AM
From what I've been reading it sure sounds like a. G5 will get a seat at the playoff table each year when all is said and done.

That would be nice.

TAILG8R
09-03-2022, 02:24 AM
That would be nice.I'll believe it when I see it but it does make a huge difference to me at how hard you push to move up.

I mentioned earlier that imo it also means IF a G5 conference adds a school, strength of their football program becomes .ore important than market.

56BISON73
09-03-2022, 02:35 AM
I'll believe it when I see it but it does make a huge difference to me at how hard you push to move up.

I mentioned earlier that imo it also means IF a G5 conference adds a school, strength of their football program becomes .ore important than market.

The devil will be in the details. Top 6 get in. Then 6 at large. Think back to Notre dame being an independent. They had parameters written up if the were better than x team because of this and that then they would take that teams place. That scenario was some time back. Going to be interesting.

56BISON73
09-03-2022, 02:47 AM
Talking heads just said 6 conference champions then the next 6 highest rated.
So the 6th team is a crap shoot.

MWC
09-03-2022, 02:48 AM
That was under the BCS era. I think this will be somewhat different. ND will have a real shot at one of the at large spots most years..

El_Chapo
09-03-2022, 03:00 AM
Josh Criswell

@criswell_sports

·

4h

Yep. And with the AAC losing its best teams, the Mountain West has to feel good about its chances to be in the mix for the No. 6 spot most years, aka the highest ranked G5 conference team

56BISON73
09-03-2022, 03:06 AM
That was under the BCS era. I think this will be somewhat different. ND will have a real shot at one of the at large spots most years..

Yep but that just shows that they can write the rules however they wish.

So it's the. 6 highest rated conference champions.

Which means that 6th team is a crap shoot.
Plus the G5 isnt getting an at large bid.

MWC
09-03-2022, 03:07 AM
The MW could get poached, though..

WhoRepsTheLurker
09-03-2022, 03:33 AM

Yes, we are back where we started. There will be no "splits" in the foreseeable future

At least 1 G5 is in. Right now, that team is coming from the MWC, which should make the AAC hungry ...

Why would you do it? Why would you give up an odds-on favorite to win a trophy in Frisco TX every year, a trophy of which you have several?

You do it for the money. You do it for the brand. You do it for the opportunity to go into a P5 environment like we saw last night and end their season, while earning an opportunity to try to do it again the following weekend. That is a much bigger deal than dominating weaker competition for the "W" year after year in in FCS

But I don't make this call. None of us do ...

El_Chapo
09-03-2022, 06:14 AM
Yes, we are back where we started. There will be no "splits" in the foreseeable future

At least 1 G5 is in. Right now, that team is coming from the MWC, which should make the AAC hungry ...

Why would you do it? Why would you give up an odds-on favorite to win a trophy in Frisco TX every year, a trophy of which you have several?

You do it for the money. You do it for the brand. You do it for the opportunity to go into a P5 environment like we saw last night and end their season, while earning an opportunity to try to do it again the following weekend. That is a much bigger deal than dominating weaker competition for the "W" year after year in in FCS

But I don't make this call. None of us do ...

it's an easy decision
WEVE ALREADY DOMINATED FCS FFS.... its OVER .

time to be FBS & DO SOMETHING BIGGER THAN ANY OF US HAVE IMAGINED.

WhoRepsTheLurker
09-03-2022, 12:06 PM
This move by the FBS does several things, but most notably, it solidifies the G5 as the official 2nd level of CFB, for decades most likely

No_Skill
09-03-2022, 12:17 PM
I can't understand how anyone can speak in absolutes when talking about this.

When the 4 team playoff was announced many people said "well, that's it...they're taking their ball and going home. They'll never expand...never allow the poors in the G5 to play. No point in moving up now". Fast forward barely a decade and here comes a 12 team format with a guaranteed G5 player. Now we hear "pfffft sure, but a G5 will never get an at large".

How can anyone think it will stay at 12? Give it a decade and the talk of expansion will again start up. What happens if they go to 16...or good lord 20? ...and if you scoff at 20, people scoffed at 8...and here comes 12.
There will be seats at the table. If we stand pat and 10-15 years from now Georgia S., SHSU, or JMU make the playoff, I'll just have to shake my head.

You can come back and say never never never if you want, but just be sure to ask yourself if you were one of the crowd who said never to more than 4.

NDSUstudent
09-03-2022, 12:34 PM
This move by the FBS does several things, but most notably, it solidifies the G5 as the official 2nd level of CFB, for decades most likely

It also solidifies the FCS as being a permanent garbage dump of football. We have to get out, Cook and ML have one job and that is to find us a conference.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 12:42 PM

Will there be a G5 playoff?

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 12:44 PM

When the 4 team playoff was announced many people said "well, that's it...they're taking their ball and going home. They'll never expand...never allow the poors in the G5 to play. No point in moving up now". Fast forward barely a decade and here comes a 12 team format with a guaranteed G5 player. Now we hear "pfffft sure, but a G5 will never get an at large".

How can anyone think it will stay at 12? Give it a decade and the talk of expansion will again start up. What happens if they go to 16...or good lord 20? ...and if you scoff at 20, people scoffed at 8...and here comes 12.
There will be seats at the table. If we stand pat and 10-15 years from now Georgia S., SHSU, or JMU make the playoff, I'll just have to shake my head.

You can come back and say never never never if you want, but just be sure to ask yourself if you were one of the crowd who said never to more than 4.

NDSU will be in the mix by then just as much as those schools mentioned.

NDSU92
09-03-2022, 01:03 PM

Very interesting question. I’d guess not. The G5 needs to be able to keep claiming they’re playing football with the big boys. Now they have an autobid. I would guess the G5 is afraid to drive any sort of separation further between them and the P# schools. As it currently sits they probably have an anti-trust case if some conferences break off to create a super league. If they create their own playoff those schools could point to that as the G5 already acting independently.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 01:35 PM
Very interesting question. I’d guess not. The G5 needs to be able to keep claiming they’re playing football with the big boys. Now they have an autobid. I would guess the G5 is afraid to drive any sort of separation further between them and the P# schools. As it currently sits they probably have an anti-trust case if some conferences break off to create a super league. If they create their own playoff those schools could point to that as the G5 already acting independently.

Also now what happens to non-conference games? For example....a B1G team v MAC? B1G v MWC? There's risk in losing games now, but with 6 at large a non conference loss carries more weight? Not sure this bodes well for future FBS scheduling even when NDSU is in a G5 conference.

Looking forward to seeing how the chips start falling now, anyway.

EC8CH
09-03-2022, 02:04 PM
http://youtu.be/ghQBOqywVcM

Watch, process, and discuss.

EP NDSU Fan
09-03-2022, 02:07 PM
I think the opposite will be true of future scheduling, assuming we are G5. The scramble to get to that 6th auto bid will do two things; focus G5 realignment on quality of football and push non-conference games to find the best opponents. You might see less G5 vs P2 but G5 good vs good has to happen to increase strength of schedule. I think FCS vs G5 will be dead because it will kill SOS.

After I saw the news first thought was that the MAC is screwed and the AAC might be in trouble. The MAC will keep taking the payday games vs the Big 10 & Big 12 eat all the losses and never sniff the 6th bid. How does the AAC keep SMU? Good football and a boat load of cash. What ever happens to the PAC MW they will move to get into a top 6. I almost feel bad for USF and Memphis they are stuck in CUSA 3.0

ByeSonBusiness
09-03-2022, 02:55 PM

Why would the G5 have a playoff when their best team ain't participating lol

Rock
09-03-2022, 03:00 PM

Boom.

Robotic Bison Dominance. FBS style. TM

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 03:11 PM
Why would the G5 have a playoff when their best team ain't participating lol

Best team getting housed by 8 TDs or the G5 tells the P5 to piss off and does their own thing. That's how.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 03:13 PM
I think the opposite will be true of future scheduling, assuming we are G5. The scramble to get to that 6th auto bid will do two things; focus G5 realignment on quality of football and push non-conference games to find the best opponents. You might see less G5 vs P2 but G5 good vs good has to happen to increase strength of schedule. I think FCS vs G5 will be dead because it will kill SOS.

After I saw the news first thought was that the MAC is screwed and the AAC might be in trouble. The MAC will keep taking the payday games vs the Big 10 & Big 12 eat all the losses and never sniff the 6th bid. How does the AAC keep SMU? Good football and a boat load of cash. What ever happens to the PAC MW they will move to get into a top 6. I almost feel bad for USF and Memphis they are stuck in CUSA 3.0

San Diego State for example then...loses a "payday" and one conference game. No chance. Which is fine. Just wondering ff the payday game will go away for schools like that. However, every game counts I guess.

Hammerhead
09-03-2022, 03:33 PM

Even better would be an SEC team playing up north on a cold December day or night.

Hammerhead
09-03-2022, 03:36 PM

That might work if NDSU can find a home in one of the top 6 conferences.

Bisonator98
09-03-2022, 03:38 PM
It's really now or never for NDSU to FBS. If they miss out now they will be stuck in division 3 for ever. There's no reason not to be pushing all the chips in at this point. Get your ass in gear Matt!

AKBison
09-03-2022, 03:54 PM

You missed the top 6 conference champions get an auto-bid part. At that point, your basically the defacto G5 national champ with a chance to showcase yourself on the Big stage. It's not perfect but it's a step in the right direction and gives all of the G5 something to play for every year.

BigHorns
09-03-2022, 04:12 PM
I disagree.... the public pressure would be immense

you're saying Cincinnati doesn't get into a 12 team playoff but got into the 4 team?

haha get out

1 or 2 G5 teams will get in this yearly

One team will, by design. More than that is unlikely, also by design. Maybe 2 can make it in a great year for the G5.
Absolutely none of those will be CUSA teams. The SOS will prevent that for anyone playing in that conference.
MAC has maybe a very long outside shot.

Most years, you are going to see one of MWC, SBC, or AAC take that one G5 bid.

MWC
09-03-2022, 04:17 PM
If the 12 team playoff would have been in place last season, Utah State would have been the 6th seed. USU had an excellent season but they were not the best G5 team. They probably weren't even the best team in the MW. They beat SDSU in the championship game.

No G5 conference is "screwed" It still comes down to winning games. Instead of 4 nearly impossible slots to get, G5 gets a guaranteed spot. That is not the worst outcome. However, there are 131 FBS football schools. That means 119 will not be in the playoffs. Does that make them worthless afterthoughts?

BigHorns
09-03-2022, 04:25 PM
If the 12 team playoff would have been in place last season, Utah State would have been the 6th seed. USU had an excellent season but they were not the best G5 team. They probably weren't even the best team in the MW. They beat SDSU in the championship game.

No G5 conference is "screwed" It still comes down to winning games. Instead of 4 nearly impossible slots to get, G5 gets a guaranteed spot. That is not the worst outcome. However, there are 131 FBS football schools. That means 119 will not be in the playoffs. Does that make them worthless afterthoughts?

That's very bad news if it works like that.

The P5 control FBS, and yes, their goal is to make the G5 an afterthought.
You will almost always see 1 G5 out of 60 teams make it, and two of the conferences are basically eliminated before a game is even played.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 04:44 PM
It's really now or never for NDSU to FBS. If they miss out now they will be stuck in division 3 for ever. There's no reason not to be pushing all the chips in at this point. Get your ass in gear Matt!

It's ridiculous to think they aren't planning/working behind the scenes. Assinine, really. The B1G and SEC aren't even done picking their favorites yet. From there, NDSU will have to decide what situation/offer is best.

MWC
09-03-2022, 04:53 PM
It isn't bad news for the conference who gets that bid.

Kevin
09-03-2022, 04:58 PM
Idk bros Samantha Houston is looking pretty fbs right now

That could be us losing to TAMU by 7.

Professorbum
09-03-2022, 05:14 PM

But what if we were beating them by 7? Or by 14? I'm convinced that if we were in the CUSA and we go undefeated a couple years in a row, and we decimate most of our conference mates and adequately beat the likes of WKU and Liberty as well as our OOC's, we get invited to the new playoff. People want to see if NDSU is all that. There would now be a pathway. The mindset of holding out for MWC or bust, or even worse--MWC with SDSU or bust--is going to be NDSU football's undoing. In the new format, even ESPN won't give two shits about our 15th, 16th, and 17th FCS national championship. No one will. Including most NDSU fans. I can't believe more people don't see this. Heck, it is probably already too late. We probably missed our chance. But if CUSA would take us, we should be moving...NOW.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 05:24 PM
But what if we were beating them by 7? Or by 14? I'm convinced that if we were in the CUSA and we go undefeated a couple years in a row, and we decimate most of our conference mates and adequately beat the likes of WKU and Liberty as well as our OOC's, we get invited to the new playoff. People want to see if NDSU is all that. There would now be a pathway. The mindset of holding out for MWC or bust, or even worse--MWC with SDSU or bust--is going to be NDSU football's undoing. In the new format, even ESPN won't give two shits about our 15th, 16th, and 17th FCS national championship. No one will. Including most NDSU fans. I can't believe more people don't see this. Heck, it is probably already too late. We probably missed our chance. But if CUSA would take us, we should be moving...NOW.

You honestly think the winner of the future CUSA will be the G5 rep?

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 05:25 PM

Jackrabbits too. Bring them with us to the CUSA. Would probably hurt our undefeated regular season dreams though.

Professorbum
09-03-2022, 05:34 PM
You honestly think the winner of the future CUSA will be the G5 rep?

I actually like you, DD. And I'm gonna take your question as sincere. Like, do I honest think that. I honestly think that with 2-3 seasons as I described, then yes. I think we'd be a top 15 team and I think we'd get an opportunity in the playoff. First year, no. Second year maybe. 3 years of undefeated and literal dominance (which of course is not guaranteed that we would do that), then yes. I think we would be included in a 12-team version. I honestly do.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
09-03-2022, 05:36 PM
Also now what happens to non-conference games? For example....a B1G team v MAC? B1G v MWC? There's risk in losing games now, but with 6 at large a non conference loss carries more weight? Not sure this bodes well for future FBS scheduling even when NDSU is in a G5 conference.

Looking forward to seeing how the chips start falling now, anyway.
G5 teams will be forced to take non conference scheduling seriously if they want to be the top G5 team. They need to schedule tough games like Cinci did last year.

As far as the MWC getting poached I don’t see it with this 12 team playoff why would the PAC-8 want to add any teams if they only have 8 teams to compete against and increase their odds. This playoff will be changing the landscape once again.

We cannot move to the CUSA and expect to move to another conference later with no guarantees . We may be stuck in the CUSA forever.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 05:40 PM
I actually like you, DD. And I'm gonna take your question as sincere. Like, do I honest think that. I honestly think that with 2-3 seasons as I described, then yes. I think we'd be a top 15 team and I think we'd get an opportunity in the playoff. First year, no. Second year maybe. 3 years of undefeated and literal dominance (which of course is not guaranteed that we would do that), then yes. I think we would be included in a 12-team version. I honestly do.

Everyone should like me. Just ask El Chapo.

I don't think CUSA will get a sniff. Ever. And I don't think Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State will come calling to schedule NDSU for non conference anymore (not that they are but it was assumed it would happen when NDSU jumps) either if NDSU was CUSA. A loss in that situation for them is devastating before their conference.

Problem now is....CUSA may be the only chance. All I hope is it doesn't bury the rest of NDSU athletics along the way.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 05:42 PM
G5 teams will be forced to take non conference scheduling seriously if they want to be the top G5 team. They need to schedule tough games like Cinci did last year.

As far as the MWC getting poached I don’t see it with this 12 team playoff why would the PAC-8 want to add any teams if they only have 8 teams to compete against and increase their odds. This playoff will be changing the landscape once again.

We cannot move to the CUSA and expect to move to another conference later with no guarantees . We may be stuck in the CUSA forever.

All good points. No reason for the MWC to change now. You are correct.

CUSA it is. I wish Bunnies and Montanas would roll with NDSU but that's unlikely.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
09-03-2022, 05:42 PM
In this scenario what kind of non conference wins do you see us having to be the top G5 team while playing a CUSA schedule?

B.Schlossman Fan Club
09-03-2022, 05:44 PM
All good points. No reason for the MWC to change now. You are correct.

CUSA it is. I wish Bunnies and Montanas would roll with NDSU but that's unlikely.

The only way I’m taking a a CUSA invite is if we take 5 other teams with us to create a CUSA North division. That is the ONLY way I ever see CUSA working out!!!!

Professorbum
09-03-2022, 06:01 PM
In this scenario what kind of non conference wins do you see us having to be the top G5 team while playing a CUSA schedule?

Well, hopefully we'd pull in some regional P5's once in a while. SHSU playing TAM. I mean, play it out. First year of eligibility and we cream the conference and win our OOCs (which may well be mediocre teams). We go to a low level bowl and kick whoever's ass. People wonder if we should have gotten a better bowl. We finish top 20. Year two...we kill everyone again, including OOC. Decent teams start to schedule us for future OOC because a win is a good win and a loss isn't death. We draw a decent bowl against a decent (winning record) P5. We beat them. Year three...we start out season top 15. Season progresses the same as before. Also, maybe the other G5 conf winners are not undefeated. We are. People think we deserve a shot. There's general fan interest to see how we can go. No one cares that we are CUSA. People dont remember if Boise was WAC or MWC when they beat Oklahoma. We get a playoff birth. I believe it could happen just like that.

ByeSonBusiness
09-03-2022, 06:07 PM
Best team getting housed by 8 TDs or the G5 tells the P5 to piss off and does their own thing. That's how.

There is little reason to think they'll get beat that bad regularly. Any given year, there is a couple G5's that can play/beat a top ten team.

I dont think anyone (including G5 fans) would be excited to watch a G5 tourney if the best G5 team isn't there.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 08:29 PM
There is little reason to think they'll get beat that bad regularly. Any given year, there is a couple G5's that can play/beat a top ten team.

I dont think anyone (including G5 fans) would be excited to watch a G5 tourney if the best G5 team isn't there.

It would be 100x more interesting than the G5 bowl games.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 08:30 PM
Well, hopefully we'd pull in some regional P5's once in a while. SHSU playing TAM. I mean, play it out. First year of eligibility and we cream the conference and win our OOCs (which may well be mediocre teams). We go to a low level bowl and kick whoever's ass. People wonder if we should have gotten a better bowl. We finish top 20. Year two...we kill everyone again, including OOC. Decent teams start to schedule us for future OOC because a win is a good win and a loss isn't death. We draw a decent bowl against a decent (winning record) P5. We beat them. Year three...we start out season top 15. Season progresses the same as before. Also, maybe the other G5 conf winners are not undefeated. We are. People think we deserve a shot. There's general fan interest to see how we can go. No one cares that we are CUSA. People dont remember if Boise was WAC or MWC when they beat Oklahoma. We get a playoff birth. I believe it could happen just like that.

Could happen? In an absolutely perfect world, sure. 1% chance…you’re telling me there’s a chance.

El_Chapo
09-03-2022, 09:50 PM
THE TOP 6 CONFERENCES GET A SPOT IN TOP 6 SPOTS.

so highest ranked G5 conference will get a representative in this

NDSU could easily be that if MWC or AAC or CUSA is in there

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 09:56 PM
THE TOP 6 CONFERENCES GET A SPOT IN TOP 6 SPOTS.

so highest ranked G5 conference will get a representative in this

NDSU could easily be that if MWC or AAC or CUSA is in there

Easily. No. That’s ridiculous.

El_Chapo
09-03-2022, 10:00 PM
Easily. No. That’s ridiculous.

if NDSU is in MWC and they are the 6th ranked conference and NDSU is the MWC champion. then they are IN

easily

taper
09-03-2022, 10:09 PM

Well, this didn't age well. 31-0 Final.

Kevin
09-03-2022, 10:12 PM
Well, this didn't age well. 31-0 Final.

They faked a weather delay to catch their breath bro.

Jumbo is a cheater.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 10:17 PM
if NDSU is in MWC and they are the 6th ranked conference and NDSU is the MWC champion. then they are IN

easily

If….if….if….ya but….ya but…..

MWC don’t need NDSU. Find the path in CUSA that’s what we got right now

El_Chapo
09-03-2022, 10:34 PM
by 2026 the DOOR WILL BE CLOSED

you make MWC work by any way necessary.

PickedBess
09-03-2022, 11:10 PM

Hope I'm around to see it.

daddy daycare
09-03-2022, 11:19 PM

enjoy the CUSA.

El_Chapo
09-04-2022, 03:51 AM
if the CUSA is all NDSU can do. than so be it

but like I said repeatedly.

you call up MWC. have a private meeting w Craig Thompson & select presidents and say

"we will take less & we will do whatever it takes, just get us in"

Rock
09-04-2022, 08:21 AM

I don’t get it.

Is NDSU so good they still couldn’t schedule good teams with an FBS monicker attached, but still so obvi “not good” that they would be denied playoffs because of it?

When has this happened? Teams with a “suck” schedule that go undefeated (very rare actually happens) have such an obvi intended suck schedule and don’t dominate that I recall.

NDSU dominance runs through years of good schedule (well “overmatched” FBS opponents) and dominating suck schedule to the point…

Well they usually get invited to playoffs at this level anyway…

This negative logic is broken. ALWAYS has been.

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 12:09 PM
I don’t get it.

Is NDSU so good they still couldn’t schedule good teams with an FBS monicker attached, but still so obvi “not good” that they would be denied playoffs because of it?

When has this happened? Teams with a “suck” schedule that go undefeated (very rare actually happens) have such an obvi intended suck schedule and don’t dominate that I recall.

NDSU dominance runs through years of good schedule (well “overmatched” FBS opponents) and dominating suck schedule to the point…

Well they usually get invited to playoffs at this level anyway…

This negative logic is broken. ALWAYS has been.

The problem is the deck is VERY stacked against all FBS G5 teams.
It is likely only one G5 team will get a bid 8 or 9 out of 10 years.

It's further stacked against lower G5 conferences.
The SOS of playing 8 weak teams from a conference like CUSA is what would tank playoff hopes.

Join the MWC and the odds are quite good. i think they get that bid at least 3-5 out of 10 years.
AAC and SBC will get that bid most years that the MWC does not.

It's simply the way the system is designed now.
You will need a LOT of "high quality" wins to get the bid, and OOC won't be enough.

Rock
09-04-2022, 12:56 PM

The SOS of playing 8 weak teams from a conference like CUSA is what would tank playoff hopes.

Join the MWC and the odds are quite good. i think they get that bid at least 3-5 out of 10 years.

You will need a LOT of "high quality" wins to get the bid, and OOC won't be enough.

F it. How much money is this magic conference really going to provide that couldn’t be captured independently? I really question that.

Current conference media deal: $0. Now that is shrewd…. I pay ESPN $10 a month during the season. NDSU gets $0 for their contribution in return for??? Distribution? ESPN was a thing I guess.. times have changed.

INDEPENDANT. F It. Games on YouTube or something. It’s like TEXAS submitting to a big 12 media deal when they capture 50% of the revenue (not sure but whatever %) and sharing it with everyone..

I don’t care how “small timey” people THINK NDSU is. They are not. They are the story.

NDSU should make their OWN media deal, and they will DWARF what liberty brings with online moneys if they can INDEPENDENTLY schedule whoever they want. And win. Just keep winning, until people are watching to see when they loose. If they ever loose.

Because everyone is tired of seeing them with 80% of games by 50.

Schedule those drunk irish Catholic midgets under a 10% media share deal. And beat them.

Lots of people would tune in for that one. Because I am not the ONLY person that wants to have the lady exposed EVERY YEAR.

Could be by this team that is “really good, at the FCS level…”.

Havent we seen enough to know that is complete bullshit?

At some point, it is that simple. The money WILL come. Bring on the competition, and quit running things by committee.

That is grand forks style. Leaders inaction.

NDSU…. Action. Enough talking like the Sioux sports board. At least their fans consistently believe they could do it. This “realism” is on the verge of fantasy after all of the obvious ass this program kicks on the field.

It’s statistically unfathomable if you THINK about it. Since 1965…. They only win the championship of their level 33% of the time…. Over ~70 years??? Think about that. Took what, 4 years off playoff eligibility in there for d1 transition?

And I think they will maintain a similar clip at the highest level once the Bison get their hooves under them.

And if you think I am being unrealistic…. I have a LOT of stats that say otherwise.

Use YOUR brains.

Rock
09-04-2022, 01:01 PM
I mean… if UN_ can get this “Indian in the cupboard” thing to blow over? NDSU *might* get a pass on the headdress that used to be in their possession.

Then it’s FBS OR BUST man.

WhoRepsTheLurker
09-04-2022, 02:12 PM

and yet the G5 will lap it up. I hope they lobby hard for monetary compensation of some sort for accepting what is clearly biased against them. I guess that will be in the TV deal?

as someone pointed out earlier, 6 + 6 won't be set in stone. It can evolve to something better

Alabama thumped Utah State yesterday. If some sort of parity is the end game, they're going to have to mix it up more

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 02:41 PM
and yet the G5 will lap it up. I hope they lobby hard for monetary compensation of some sort for accepting what is clearly biased against them. I guess that will be in the TV deal?

as someone pointed out earlier, 6 + 6 won't be set in stone. It can evolve to something better

Alabama thumped Utah State yesterday. If some sort of parity is the end game, they're going to have to mix it up more

Wait until you see how they seed the CFP.

If our MWC "friend" who likes to tell us we don't have an opening there is correct, Utah State would have gotten the G5 bid.
And like he said, they weren't even the best G5, just the one that would have been selected.

The committee is going to find a way to make that G5 bid the 12 seed facing off against Bama and OSU, at their house.
When they proceed to get pummeled, that will be the excuse moving forward to limit the G5 to one bid.

That token bid is just there to make it look like they are being inclusive. This is rigged for the P5.

ByeSonBusiness
09-04-2022, 02:47 PM
F it. How much money is this magic conference really going to provide that couldn’t be captured independently? I really question that.

Current conference media deal: $0. Now that is shrewd…. I pay ESPN $10 a month during the season. NDSU gets $0 for their contribution in return for??? Distribution? ESPN was a thing I guess.. times have changed.

INDEPENDANT. F It. Games on YouTube or something. It’s like TEXAS submitting to a big 12 media deal when they capture 50% of the revenue (not sure but whatever %) and sharing it with everyone..

I don’t care how “small timey” people THINK NDSU is. They are not. They are the story.

NDSU should make their OWN media deal, and they will DWARF what liberty brings with online moneys if they can INDEPENDENTLY schedule whoever they want. And win. Just keep winning, until people are watching to see when they loose. If they ever loose.

Because everyone is tired of seeing them with 80% of games by 50.

Schedule those drunk irish Catholic midgets under a 10% media share deal. And beat them.

Lots of people would tune in for that one. Because I am not the ONLY person that wants to have the lady exposed EVERY YEAR.

Could be by this team that is “really good, at the FCS level…”.

Havent we seen enough to know that is complete bullshit?

At some point, it is that simple. The money WILL come. Bring on the competition, and quit running things by committee.

That is grand forks style. Leaders inaction.

NDSU…. Action. Enough talking like the Sioux sports board. At least their fans consistently believe they could do it. This “realism” is on the verge of fantasy after all of the obvious ass this program kicks on the field.

It’s statistically unfathomable if you THINK about it. Since 1965…. They only win the championship of their level 33% of the time…. Over ~70 years??? Think about that. Took what, 4 years off playoff eligibility in there for d1 transition?

And I think they will maintain a similar clip at the highest level once the Bison get their hooves under them.

And if you think I am being unrealistic…. I have a LOT of stats that say otherwise.

Use YOUR brains.

If you want NDSU to put their games online and play an indy schedule, that would end very badly

WhoRepsTheLurker
09-04-2022, 02:49 PM

If our MWC "friend" who likes to tell us we don't have an opening there is correct, Utah State would have gotten the G5 bid.
And like he said, they weren't even the best G5, just the one that would have been selected.

The committee is going to find a way to make that G5 bid the 12 seed facing off against Bama and OSU, at their house.
When they proceed to get pummeled, that will be the excuse moving forward to limit the G5 to one bid.

That token bid is just there to make it look like they are being inclusive. This is rigged for the P5.

Yes, it is now for sure. I had let myself get a little hope that the P2 would leave but I don’t see them doing that now. NCAA is showing signs of life. This is how it will be for the foreseeable future, but if you’re NDSU at this point I would say you’re better off being at the table than not, assuming you can get an invite that meets minimum standards

NDSUstudent
09-04-2022, 03:15 PM
This is how it will be for the foreseeable future, but if you’re NDSU at this point I would say you’re better off being at the table than not, assuming you can get an invite that meets minimum standards

With the FCS dying we don't really have much choice, FBS is the only option forward.

Rock
09-04-2022, 03:37 PM
If you want NDSU to put their games online and play an indy schedule, that would end very badly

Explain. Seems to work okay for your favorite team.

**whom NDSU, who is very much UNLIKE UTAH f*ing State. Would thump repeatedly on overdrive. Like a Robotic Bison.**

Rock
09-04-2022, 03:39 PM
BTW…. When I suggest teams with a “SUCK” schedule getting in?

That is directed at your ladies…

Rock
09-04-2022, 03:40 PM
Internet today > than NBC deal in the late ‘90s

Rock
09-04-2022, 03:41 PM
If you aren’t a suck poser team.

Rock
09-04-2022, 03:42 PM
Kelly green is for UN_ posers.

At least half of Grand Forks is in a cool state.

Rock
09-04-2022, 03:43 PM
Tm

i miss chubs corp

NDSU92
09-04-2022, 04:39 PM

You might want to check how a 12 team bracket looks. There’s literally nothing they could do to schedule us against Bama or any top four seed… that’s the beauty of a 12 over a 16 team bracket.

Was Cincy not ranked #4 last year from a G5? Am I missing something?

Go undefeated, win your conference, beat at least one good p5 in non-con. You’ll be in the playoff

MWC
09-04-2022, 05:27 PM
American sports are rarely fair and equitable. It is survival of the fittest and nobody is in the charity business. The reality is there are less than 10 programs capable of winning the national title most years. Sometimes a Cinderella will emerge but that school will likely come from a P5 conference. The view I see on this board frequently is this makes the other schools across the country an afterthought. That would include most of P5 too.

I understand your desire to move up to FBS and challenge yourself. If you really like the MW and you truly want to play those schools that is one thing. However, if you think the MW should just take you because you dominated FCS or that the conference is desperate you are wrong. The MW is about a lot of things. While they would be absolutely delighted to be in the top 6 they are also delighted to get multiple teams in the NCAA's.

You certainly could be invited to the MW but if you think it greases the wheel for you to be a big national story and not an "afterthought", your are delusional.

The conference a school is in doesn't make you a success. It is up to the individual schools to make their own hay.

ByeSonBusiness
09-04-2022, 05:36 PM
Explain. Seems to work okay for your favorite team.

**whom NDSU, who is very much UNLIKE UTAH f*ing State. Would thump repeatedly on overdrive. Like a Robotic Bison.**

ND doesn't just put their games online. So no, it doesn't "work okay" for them.

daddy daycare
09-04-2022, 06:08 PM
American sports are rarely fair and equitable. It is survival of the fittest and nobody is in the charity business. The reality is there are less than 10 programs capable of winning the national title most years. Sometimes a Cinderella will emerge but that school will likely come from a P5 conference. The view I see on this board frequently is this makes the other schools across the country an afterthought. That would include most of P5 too.

I understand your desire to move up to FBS and challenge yourself. If you really like the MW and you truly want to play those schools that is one thing. However, if you think the MW should just take you because you dominated FCS or that the conference is desperate you are wrong. The MW is about a lot of things. While they would be absolutely delighted to be in the top 6 they are also delighted to get multiple teams in the NCAA's.

You certainly could be invited to the MW but if you think it greases the wheel for you to be a big national story and not an "afterthought", your are delusional.

The conference a school is in doesn't make you a success. It is up to the individual schools to make their own hay.

I have no idea why MWC would want NDSU at the moment.

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 06:08 PM
You might want to check how a 12 team bracket looks. There’s literally nothing they could do to schedule us against Bama or any top four seed… that’s the beauty of a 12 over a 16 team bracket.

Was Cincy not ranked #4 last year from a G5? Am I missing something?

Go undefeated, win your conference, beat at least one good p5 in non-con. You’ll be in the playoff

What you are missing is Houston, UCF and Cincy are all P5 next year.
Find me another G5 in the top 25 right now.
If you can't climb into the top 12, you're not getting anything anything but the low seed.

It will be the "top G5" slotted against whoever is #5 ... and it still won't be pretty.
And there is no way 1 P5 win is going to get you in playing in CUSA, unless that P5 is Alabama and you smoke them.

Professorbum
09-04-2022, 06:52 PM

They wouldn't. Can we talk about how to make CUSA work? I get the downsides, but like it or not, CUSA is the only FBS conference who might be remotely interested in us right now.

Professorbum
09-04-2022, 06:56 PM
If you can't climb into the top 12, you're not getting anything anything but the low seed.

It will be the "top G5" slotted against whoever is #5 ... and it still won't be pretty.
And there is no way 1 P5 win is going to get you in playing in CUSA, unless that P5 is Alabama and you smoke them.
You're looking at this as a one-off. Do this 2-3 years in a row, along with winning bowl games, and yes we would get in. Absolutely.

taper
09-04-2022, 06:59 PM
They wouldn't. Can we talk about how to make CUSA work? I get the downsides, but like it or not, CUSA is the only FBS conference who might be remotely interested in us right now.
Get 4-7 midwest teams to jump as a group and form CUSA North division. I'd support that. Going CUSA by ourselves is a death sentence. Anybody wanting that is completely insane.

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 07:00 PM

Dump all the existing schools, and replace them with MVFC ones.
The problem is that FIU, UTEP, NMSU, JSU, and likely even SHSU are boat anchors.

WKU/MTSU are the best teams left, and they aren't looking good either.
WKU : struggled with Austin Peay, beat a bad Hawaii team that Vanderbilt destroyed.
MTSU : blown out by JMU 44-7

I see no way to fix this level of suck without dumping those schools and starting over.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
09-04-2022, 07:28 PM
Dump all the existing schools, and replace them with MVFC ones.
The problem is that FIU, UTEP, NMSU, JSU, and likely even SHSU are boat anchors.

WKU/MTSU are the best teams left, and they aren't looking good either.
WKU : struggled with Austin Peay, beat a bad Hawaii team that Vanderbilt destroyed.
MTSU : blown out by JMU 44-7

I see no way to fix this level of suck without dumping those schools and starting over.
I’m onboard, honestly I think this is our best bet!

B.Schlossman Fan Club
09-04-2022, 07:32 PM

We would need two ranked P5 wins in order to make the final playoffs like Cinci did last year. The team with the best ranked team wins is the teams making the playoffs.

daddy daycare
09-04-2022, 07:50 PM
We would need two ranked P5 wins in order to make the final playoffs like Cinci did last year. The team with the best ranked team wins is the teams making the playoffs.

And then again...why would a P5 team schedule NDSU? A loss to the Bison is a dagger.

daddy daycare
09-04-2022, 07:52 PM

Yep...CUSA is the only option in the near future. (I'm down with Bighorns idea).

NDSU92
09-04-2022, 08:44 PM

Who cares what they are next year? They made a 4 team playoff as a G5?

I mean Jesus. We shouldn’t move to FBS because if we were a top 12 team we might have to play a difficult team in the playoffs? Good lord…

B.Schlossman Fan Club
09-04-2022, 08:51 PM
And then again...why would a P5 team schedule NDSU? A loss to the Bison is a dagger.

They will schedule the bison once we are FBS. You telling me the P5 doesn’t schedule a good G5 school because they are scared?

NDSU92
09-04-2022, 08:52 PM

A 13-0 MW champion with a win over a legit P5 program is in this 12 team playoff. Absolutely.

daddy daycare
09-04-2022, 09:05 PM
They will schedule the bison once we are FBS. You telling me the P5 doesn’t schedule a good G5 school because they are scared?

Yeah. MN, Kansas State, Iowa, Iowa State...for example....already tough for them to crack the Top 12 once they run through their conference gauntlet. I don't think being FBS makes it any easier to schedule those schools with a potential loss. The big dogs such Ohio State and the like maybe a different story with an ass kicking.

MWC
09-04-2022, 09:09 PM
I know you see this as totally 'unfair' but the at large bids will go to P5 schools who have defeated a whole bunch of P5 schools over a G5 who beat one. That is fair..

The automatic 6th seed is a gift but the object is to get 12 great teams in there.

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 09:12 PM
A 13-0 MW champion with a win over a legit P5 program is in this 12 team playoff. Absolutely.

This I agree with. And in the MWC it might not even take a 13-0 run to do it. Just needs to be better than AAC and SBC champs.
Almost every year one of MWC, AAC or SBC is going to get that G5 slot.

Who you face in conference absolutely matters as far as the CFP goes.

daddy daycare
09-04-2022, 09:17 PM

That's going to be a rarity.

MWC
09-04-2022, 09:18 PM
The champion of the overall highest rated G5 conference gets the 6th spot automatically. There will be a G5 school 'every' season. At large spots will be tougher to come by, though

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 09:22 PM

Yes and No. The top P5 aren't going to take an unnecessary risk when they've already got a strong conference slate.
Especially not away from home. But they will sometimes schedule a "big time" game OOC like Notre Dame (who is more P5 than G5) as an ACC affiliate.

Alabama OOC: Utah St, ULM, Austin Peay at home, Texas away game
OSU OOC: Notre Dame, Arkansas St, Toledo at home, Maryland away game

One change happening is the P5 are looking to schedule more P5 games now overall.
Most of the G5 games will be buy games that they expect to win easily.

El_Chapo
09-04-2022, 09:26 PM
The champion of the overall highest rated G5 conference gets the 6th spot automatically. There will be a G5 school 'every' season. At large spots will be tougher to come by, though

yea I don't get the teeth gnashing
if NDSU is in MWC and win it and MWC is the 6th best conference! we are in the top 12 playoff and it'd be the biggest thing to hit north dakota since the horse and buggy

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 09:32 PM
if NDSU is in MWC and win it and MWC is the 6th best conference! we are in the top 12 playoff and it'd be the biggest thing to hit north dakota since the horse and buggy

MWC is absolutely the answer. It opens the door enough to get access to the CFP.
MWC or bust.

daddy daycare
09-04-2022, 09:34 PM
MWC is absolutely the answer. It opens the door enough to get access to the CFP.
MWC or bust.

Why would MWC take NDSU? Why?

Professorbum

You know that I'm in your Amen Corner most of the time. But we're not getting into the current MWC. We're just not. If they only have a couple slots to fill, they ain't taking an FCS team. And if they have a ton of slots to fill in order to survive and we get in, it would no longer be the same MWC that would garner automatic respect as the best G5. I would, of course, take it at that point. But if we are going to be the best team in a depleted conference, we might as well do CUSA now and start the FBS era forthwith rather than wait for the MWC to implode later.

MWC
The key is how the lower parts of the conference do in a given season. Every conference member has to contribute something to qualify for that auto slot..

NDSU92
09-04-2022, 09:35 PM
That's going to be a rarity.

Of course it is. But there IS a path now for G5 schools. Multiple even.

Facilities? Check
Athletic budget? Check
Playoff system? Check
FCOA? Check
(Would still like to get NIL at NDSU figured out) Not check

It’s time, we can figure out NIL on the way there

NDSU92
09-04-2022, 09:37 PM
You know that I'm in your Amen Corner most of the time. But we're not getting into the current MWC. We're just not. If they only have a couple slots to fill, they ain't taking an FCS team. And if they have a ton of slots to fill in order to survive and we get in, it would no longer be the same MWC that would garner automatic respect as the best G5. I would, of course, take it at that point. But if we are going to be the best team in a depleted conference, we might as well do CUSA now and start the FBS era forthwith rather than wait for the MWC to implode later.

When Boise and SDSU go, who will they backfill with if not us?

daddy daycare
09-04-2022, 09:39 PM
Of course it is. But there IS a path now for G5 schools. Multiple even.

Facilities? Check
Athletic budget? Check
Playoff system? Check
FCOA? Check
(Would still like to get NIL at NDSU figured out) Not check

It’s time, we can figure out NIL on the way there

Yeah it's time. It's going to be CUSA time.

MWC
09-04-2022, 09:41 PM

Likely nobody..

NDSU92
09-04-2022, 09:43 PM
Likely nobody..

Yeah i know what youve been saying, I just don’t see it. Every other conference is getting bigger and loading up and the mountain west is going to be happy with getting smaller?

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 09:44 PM

That's the death of bison football as we know it.

No media coverage/deal, crap opponents, and no CFP access will come out of that.
Unless we just buy the damn conference and boot them all out.

NDSU92
09-04-2022, 09:45 PM

At this point, whatever. If it makes sense to pull the trigger for football only CUSA or whatever just make it happen. I’m in the get us to FBS and let’s see how it all shakes out camp. Waiting for Boise and SDSU and maybe more to move might take a lifetime.

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 09:47 PM
Yeah i know what youve been saying, I just don’t see it. Every other conference is getting bigger and loading up and the mountain west is going to be happy with getting smaller?

I think MWC is going to be a legit possibility in the next 1-2 years.
We still haven't seen the fallout of the PAC moves yet, and there could be more pending.

It would be foolish to strap ourselves to some other garbage, when this is just taking shape.

MWC
09-04-2022, 09:51 PM

The 12 team playoff changes the equation for the P5. They already get 5 guaranteed slots and likely most of the at large spots. Adding G5 schools is not all that important unless they are in big cities..

Neither Boise or SDSU is going to do a sideways move to another G5 because of the large exit fees. Maybe, the Pac 12 or the B12 adds San Diego to get Socal exposure but Boise is not the same population wise.

NDSU1980
09-04-2022, 09:55 PM

So you're back to the same tired argument. The good conferences don't want us and you don't want a weak conference. That leaves FCS Forever for you, since according to you there's no other path.

You can always know with you, it will the same point of view every time.

Professorbum
09-04-2022, 10:01 PM

I think they'd take UTEP for one. Possibly Texas State to pair with them. Or maybe try to pull Tulsa over. Even NMSU gets the nod before us. I know NMSU sucks in football, but they would help the conf in BB and be an easy partner for UTEP. I just don't think they will look to FCS unless they have no FBS options.

If they do dip into FCS, they'll pull MSU and U of M before us. Or maybe Idaho. Idaho is a state with a growing population. If they lose Boise, maybe Idaho (as a recent FBS school who begrudgingly dropped down to FCS) becomes more attractive if they promise to make some investments.

If the MWC was interested in the many positive things that NDSU could bring (winning tradition, positive revenue, national interest, strong fan support, solidly run athletics dept with fundraising ability, R1 university status), we'd already have been invited. But they are not. They are interested in mountains, and/or Texas, and/or Calif. That's it. That's what is important to them.

TAILG8R
09-04-2022, 10:04 PM
I'll say it again. The new playoff format HAS to leave G5 conferences thinking about how to get stronger and less about media markets.

Adding a shitty team in CA or TX does nothing for your conferences chances of getting the one elusive auto bid.

Professorbum
09-04-2022, 10:05 PM
That's the death of bison football as we know it.

No media coverage/deal, crap opponents, and no CFP access will come out of that.
Unless we just buy the damn conference and boot them all out.

This just might work. But keep Liberty. They were ranked #17 in 2020.

NDSU92
09-04-2022, 10:06 PM
I think they'd take UTEP for one. Possibly Texas State to pair with them. Or maybe try to pull Tulsa over. Even NMSU gets the nod before us. I know NMSU sucks in football, but they would help the conf in BB and be an easy partner for UTEP. I just don't think they will look to FCS unless they have no FBS options.

If they do dip into FCS, they'll pull MSU and U of M before us. Or maybe Idaho. Idaho is a state with a growing population. If they lose Boise, maybe Idaho (as a recent FBS school who begrudgingly dropped down to FCS) becomes more attractive if they promise to make some investments.

If the MWC was interested in the many positive things that NDSU could bring (winning tradition, positive revenue, national interest, strong fan support, solidly run athletics dept with fundraising ability, R1 university status), we'd already have been invited. But they are not. They are interested in mountains, and/or Texas, and/or Calif. That's it. That's what is important to them.

I’d argue the opposite. If they wanted UTEP and NMSU, they would’ve already offered THEM. Lord knows they’ve had a million chances to do so. They are the schools who have been sitting there with their hands in their pockets waiting for an invite that has never come after what like 15 years? They average like 5k fans at a football game.

This is the first time in our history that we’ve had high FBS facilities. I could argue that we’ve never actually had a shot until now. All we need is an opening.

Professorbum
09-04-2022, 10:07 PM
I'll say it again. The new playoff format HAS to leave G5 conferences thinking about how to get stronger and less about media markets.

Adding a shitty team in CA or TX does nothing for your conferences chances of getting the one elusive auto bid.

I agree. But no one in my lifetime has ever accused the MWC of having any imagination whatsoever. They never, ever imagine what could be.

MWC
09-04-2022, 10:21 PM

None of us know what the MW is or isn't interested in. Thompson has no power or a vote. The decisions are made by the executive board and voted on by the full membership. League presidents decide everything and that is fluid with presidents coming and going.

We do know the tv providers told the MW they would not increase the payout to cover new members. We do know the deal runs for 4 more years.

WhoRepsTheLurker
09-04-2022, 10:32 PM

Yes, I think you are correct, and FB only could become more viable in the 12-team model. With 4 teams in the "playoff", all the talent gravitates to 4 teams. We'll see if going to 12 breaks that up

Speaking of the MWC, Boise didn't look so great against the Beavers last night, and the Aztecs didn't look so great either ... first game of the season. We'll see

I also thought the MVFC didn't look so great. Bison and Jacks looked the best, and even they had warts. Maybe Air Force is legit this year, who knows. Yotes got shut out I believe, and Nebraska's sideline oozes major disfunction ... why I'm not a fan of bringing the home-town hero back to coach. Need to coach with your brain, not your emotions. Frost seems to have a hard time with that at Nebraska

There are only 2-3 teams in the MVFC that should even be in the conversation, so all this talk of the MVFC jumping up makes no sense. Why would the state of ND invest in taking the Bison to the next level, and then shoot themselves in the foot by investing even more to bring along an anchor? Sorry, it's just logic. Too many of you are D2 Midco homers, and I mean that in a nice friendly way, not the assholian way it comes off ...

MWC
09-04-2022, 10:44 PM
I agree. But no one in my lifetime has ever accused the MWC of having any imagination whatsoever. They never, ever imagine what could be.

I think the only way the MW would add is to get bigger media markets..There is not a lot of those available.

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 10:44 PM
None of us know what the MW is or isn't interested in. Thompson has no power or a vote. The decisions are made by the executive board and voted on by the full membership. League presidents decide everything and that is fluid with presidents coming and going.

We do know the tv providers told the MW they would not increase the payout to cover new members. We do know the deal runs for 4 more years.

That's rather surprising given other conferences are getting more when they add members.
(Well, outside cusa who basically doesn't have anything)

Would have to think that payout statement was conditional on who they wanted to add.
If MWC adds Washington and Oregon, no way they wouldn't ante up for that. It would pay for itself with viewers.
NMSU and UTEP would be different of course.

NDSU is probably somewhere between those two extremes in media value.

daddy daycare
09-04-2022, 10:45 PM
So you're back to the same tired argument. The good conferences don't want us and you don't want a weak conference. That leaves FCS Forever for you, since according to you there's no other path.

You can always know with you, it will the same point of view every time.

I said CUSA. Because RIGHT NOW, NDSU adds nothing to MWC. Say it out loud to yourself.

daddy daycare
09-04-2022, 10:49 PM

Herder has said on his podcast that UC-Davis has to be in the top of the FCS discussions. Geography, enrollment, money....etc

El_Chapo
09-04-2022, 10:54 PM
I think the only way the MW would add is to get bigger media markets..There is not a lot of those available.

you give them an OFFER THEY CANT REFUSE.

NDSU takes 0 tv revenue in exchange for keeping local TV/ESPN +

WIN WIN for everyone

MWC
09-04-2022, 10:55 PM
That's rather surprising given other conferences are getting more when they add members.
(Well, outside cusa who basically doesn't have anything)

Would have to think that payout statement was conditional on who they wanted to add.
If MWC adds Washington and Oregon, no way they wouldn't ante up for that. It would pay for itself with viewers.
NMSU and UTEP would be different of course.

NDSU is probably somewhere between those two extremes in media value.

It looks like the Pac 10 is going to stick together for awhile but if any of them became available to the MW, the conference would add them even if it meant less dough in the short run.

I do think the MW was looking to possibly add SMU, UTSA and Rice but the providers didn't want to play ball.

The AAC jumped in and grabbed a lot of schools so that is that.

daddy daycare
09-04-2022, 10:57 PM
you give them an OFFER THEY CANT REFUSE.

NDSU takes 0 tv revenue in exchange for keeping local TV/ESPN +

WIN WIN for everyone

Stop making shit up and come up with a real plan. Fantasy land doesn't work in real world sports.

56BISON73
09-04-2022, 11:17 PM
Stop making shit up and come up with a real plan. Fantasy land doesn't work in real world sports.

Remember who you are talking to.

daddy daycare
09-04-2022, 11:37 PM
Remember who you are talking to.

Yeah....all the fantasy land talk is getting old. Still haven't seen a real reason why MWC would want NDSU right now. There's nothing in it for them at this point.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
09-04-2022, 11:42 PM

Legit win over a P5 team is not the same as a ranked win, just saying, we may need two ranked wins

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 11:46 PM
It looks like the Pac 10 is going to stick together for awhile but if any of them became available to the MW, the conference would add them even if it meant less dough in the short run.

I do think the MW was looking to possibly add SMU, UTSA and Rice but the providers didn't want to play ball.

The AAC jumped in and grabbed a lot of schools so that is that.

Ok, that makes sense. Those new schools get a reduced payout in the AAC also, $2m each instead of $7m
What the media will pay normally depends on how they assess the value.

I can understand MWC schools not wanting to take a paycut.
AAC went with two tiers instead and the legacy teams didn't take a hit.

BigHorns
09-04-2022, 11:49 PM

Doesn't Boise have a deal where they get to keep their own media revenue for home games?
Pretty sure that's a point of contention in the MWC, and not something they would want again.

Edit: meant to respond to Chapo's proposal. The MWC history makes it unlikely they would go for that.

NDSU92
09-04-2022, 11:52 PM
Yeah....all the fantasy land talk is getting old. Still haven't seen a real reason why MWC would want NDSU right now. There's nothing in it for them at this point.

Most are operating off the assumption that Boise and SDSU leave the MW and the MW is then looking to backfill. Neither are obviously set in stone by any means. No one here thinks we’ll wake up tomorrow with an offer from the MW without something else happening first.

Except one guy who keeps screaming at the clouds for Larsen to send hookers to Craig Thompson’s office as if that would help lol

MWC
09-05-2022, 12:02 AM
Doesn't Boise have a deal where they get to keep their own media revenue for home games?
Pretty sure that's a point of contention in the MWC, and not something they would want again.

Boise receives extra pay out of the conference..The tv providers don't pay it..The members do. It works out around 1.5 million per year. It was their demand to return to the MW from the Big East. It was a stupid deal then and it is a stupid deal now..While I don't think Boise is leaving, I don't think many in the conference would mind all that much if they did. They are not collegial partners. They whine, they make ridiculous demands and the they threaten to sue over and over.

If they were the program they were 8 or 9 years ago that would be okay..They aren't that any more..

Hawaii, as football only, gets a partial share of the tv deal and gets to keep the revenue from their Hawaii providers.

I do think San Diego State could leave. I would be sad to see them go but they would also get a hat tip from me if they got a P5 slot.

Professorbum
09-05-2022, 12:07 AM
Most are operating off the assumption that Boise and SDSU leave the MW and the MW is then looking to backfill. Neither are obviously set in stone by any means. No one here thinks we’ll wake up tomorrow with an offer from the MW without something else happening first.

Except one guy who keeps screaming at the clouds for Larsen to send hookers to Craig Thompson’s office as if that would help lol

Could it hurt?

TAILG8R
09-05-2022, 12:18 AM
I think the only way the MW would add is to get bigger media markets..There is not a lot of those available.What do bigger media markets give a conference in today's FBS landscape? Any conference thinking that way is on its way to the grave imo.

BigHorns
09-05-2022, 12:29 AM
What do bigger media markets give a conference in today's FBS landscape? Any conference thinking that way is on its way to the grave imo.

AAC took that gamble the last round of realignment.
They took some not great schools like Rice and Charlotte on the hope they might become the next Cincinnati.

Will be interesting to watch and see if that works.

Professorbum
09-05-2022, 12:41 AM
AAC took that gamble the last round of realignment.
They took some not great schools like Rice and Charlotte on the hope they might become the next Cincinnati.

Will be interesting to watch and see if that works.

Yeah, it won't. There are literally more people in ND that care about NDSU than there are in Houston that care about Rice. My mom's in Houston. Everything is UT and A&M, with some UH left over. Rice is highly regarded locally for its academics. But no one cares at all about the Owls. No one watches. I'm guessing the same is true in North Carolina. UNC, NC State, Wake Forest, and Duke. Does anyone in Charlotte follow UNCC football? Prob not. Duke played them last year in Charlotte. 14,000 fans showed up. Against a P5.

MWC
09-05-2022, 12:46 AM
Tv deals are based upon potential viewers in home cities..The MW has never made it a secret that they need more big cities to get a better tv deal. They talk about it all the time.
The problem is there isn't a whole lot of big city schools available. Adding a football program in a sparsely populated part of the country is not the key to a bigger tv deal for the MW. You have a nice brand but it is not enough to move the needle for the providers.

The MW plays the vast majority of their football games at night. They sometimes start as late as 8 PM PST. Nobody back east is watching. It is a regional package of interest primarily to MW fans.. Same goes for Basketball. The time slots are the main selling point..

The MW is not arrogant or afraid to play you..It does not lack imagination. The league operates on a small margin but continues to thrive by sticking together as best they can. Will it last? Who knows?

But right now, they aren't looking to add. If something unexpected happens like the Pac imploding it is a different situation. The conference has had major defections before and likely will again but they aren't desperate..

They all voted for really significant exit fees and that will have to be a consideration for teams looking to leave.

DePereBisonFan
09-05-2022, 01:27 AM
Get 4-7 midwest teams to jump as a group and form CUSA North division. I'd support that.

This is the way. Come on, SDSU, Montana and UNI. We can do this.

NDSU92
09-05-2022, 01:27 AM
Tv deals are based upon potential viewers in home cities..The MW has never made it a secret that they need more big cities to get a better tv deal. They talk about it all the time.
The problem is there isn't a whole lot of big city schools available. Adding a football program in a sparsely populated part of the country is not the key to a bigger tv deal for the MW. You have a nice brand but it is not enough to move the needle for the providers.

The MW plays the vast majority of their football games at night. They sometimes start as late as 8 PM PST. Nobody back east is watching. It is a regional package of interest primarily to MW fans.. Same goes for Basketball. The time slots are the main selling point..

The MW is not arrogant or afraid to play you..It does not lack imagination. The league operates on a small margin but continues to thrive by sticking together as best they can. Will it last? Who knows?

But right now, they aren't looking to add. If something unexpected happens like the Pac imploding it is a different situation. The conference has had major defections before and likely will again but they aren't desperate..

They all voted for really significant exit fees and that will have to be a consideration for teams looking to leave.

It is wild to me that Hawaii hasn’t been kicked out of the league. Yes, I know they pay $1M per year to be football only. I only just realized they play in a bad high school stadium because their regular stadium is condemned and deemed unfit for human occupation. People want to talk about geography, facilities, time zone or fan base, Hawaii is about as bad as it gets in every category.

Literally everyone here is saying the same thing. The MW doesn’t want us now, but that might change someday. My fingers are crossed. Y’all have a great conference and we’d be honored to be a part of it. We’re optimistic and confident so we think we’d do alright in it.

MWC
09-05-2022, 02:18 AM
Hawaii is building a cool new stadium. Nobody is getting kicked out of the MW.

23Bison
09-05-2022, 02:19 AM
Like a few other possible schools, NDSU is in a more coveted central zone. That at the very least should help some for possible consideration imo

MWC
09-05-2022, 02:22 AM
It is wild to me that Hawaii hasn’t been kicked out of the league. Yes, I know they pay $1M per year to be football only. I only just realized they play in a bad high school stadium because their regular stadium is condemned and deemed unfit for human occupation. People want to talk about geography, facilities, time zone or fan base, Hawaii is about as bad as it gets in every category.

Literally everyone here is saying the same thing. The MW doesn’t want us now, but that might change someday. My fingers are crossed. Y’all have a great conference and we’d be honored to be a part of it. We’re optimistic and confident so we think we’d do alright in it.

I respect your school and were you to be added to the MW, I would be supportive. I don't know that the MW doesn't want you. I don't know that they do. I just try to address what I see as some misconceptions about the MW. Nothing about this mid major business is easy.

NDSU92
09-05-2022, 03:17 AM
Hawaii is building a cool new stadium. Nobody is getting kicked out of the MW.

Hawaii has been in the process of building a new stadium/renovating their old stadium for 20 years according to Wikipedia. It’s just wild to me

NDSU92
09-05-2022, 03:21 AM
I respect your school and were you to be added to the MW, I would be supportive. I don't know that the MW doesn't want you. I don't know that they do. I just try to address what I see as some misconceptions about the MW. Nothing about this mid major business is easy.

Sure thing, and your input is valued here. Although I know sometimes you’re just giving us shit and I try to respond in kind :).

You’ve made a Nevada fan out of me, cheers on the 2-0 start. Keep it up!

Rock
09-05-2022, 04:01 AM

Dude…. Why make one shitty conference better by beating all their shitty teams every year….

When we can be INDEPENDENT and make ALL the SHITTY CONFERENCES and NOTRE LADY better by beating whoever tf we want to schedule and UN_.

Calvin pissing on Mercedes back window static sticker. Tm

Rock
09-05-2022, 04:15 AM
ND doesn't just put their games online. So no, it doesn't "work okay" for them.

Yeah. They get sweetheart media deals to sell chip and rex Mercedes they compare with each other at the course…

Maybe after the round they will check the score on NBC at the 19th hole! Chuckle chortle!

Or they will hang out with each other in the locker room…?

IndyBison
09-05-2022, 06:00 AM
Yes, it is now for sure. I had let myself get a little hope that the P2 would leave but I don’t see them doing that now. NCAA is showing signs of life. This is how it will be for the foreseeable future, but if you’re NDSU at this point I would say you’re better off being at the table than not, assuming you can get an invite that meets minimum standardsYou do realize the CFP is not an NCAA organization and the winner is not an NCAA champion? At the end of the day the NCAA is a membership, compliance, and championship organization. The membership decides what rules they want to apply and follow. There is a lot of value in sharing that responsibility among all the NCAA universities.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rock
09-05-2022, 11:33 AM
You do realize the CFP is not an NCAA organization and the winner is not an NCAA champion? At the end of the day the NCAA is a membership, compliance, and championship organization. The membership decides what rules they want to apply and follow. There is a lot of value in sharing that responsibility among all the NCAA universities.

Indy. I dislike most of your posts. But you honestly seem like you attempt to be really non-biased. Which I think is senseless so I instead embrace fanaticism. -we square here?

Anyway. Really appreciate your opinion on this. Non-biased as possible and also with you being “Indyana”…. Lol. Hope you are having fun there. [emoji6]

How much do you want NDSU to consistently molest those “Catholics”?

A. Dream about nightly
B. Some dreams and while on the toilet some.
C. Whenever I see a CL55 douche in shades and a suit.
D. Complete obsession

Thanks.

WhoRepsTheLurker
09-05-2022, 12:04 PM
You do realize the CFP is not an NCAA organization and the winner is not an NCAA champion? At the end of the day the NCAA is a membership, compliance, and championship organization. The membership decides what rules they want to apply and follow. There is a lot of value in sharing that responsibility among all the NCAA universities.

Right. NDSU is the official NCAA champion.

CFB needs structure and guidance. I think the TP might actually be a good thing for parity, but there has to be structure. Seems the NCAA just provided some. Probably do the same with NIL?

I thought they would break away entirely not too long ago. Now I'm not so sure

Rock
09-05-2022, 01:27 PM
Right. NDSU is the official NCAA champion.

CFB needs structure and guidance. I think the TP might actually be a good thing for parity, but there has to be structure. Seems the NCAA just provided some. Probably do the same with NIL?

I thought they would break away entirely not too long ago. Now I'm not so sure

Lol!

When is the last time Notre Dame even SMELLED a NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP?

Manti Tao? Smells more like CATFISH!

Rock
09-05-2022, 01:28 PM
FargoDome>Golden Dome

El_Chapo
09-05-2022, 01:28 PM

this is our best chance, to get creative & not take revenue from MWC

Rock
09-05-2022, 01:30 PM
Jesus LOVES US ALL.

But he likes NDSU better than UN_.

Rock
09-05-2022, 01:32 PM
Come on Lakes huh?

You gotta admit- this good.

Crickets in here bro.

Rock
09-05-2022, 01:34 PM
Forgive me. El Chap.

Mistaken identity.

Not for me to share.

TAILG8R
09-05-2022, 02:24 PM
If the MWC still thinks it's about media markets in 2022 maybe they aren't the conference we should be in. ;)

Rock
09-05-2022, 03:09 PM
If the MWC still thinks it's about media markets in 2022 maybe they aren't the conference we should be in. ;)

Are media markets still a thing with the internet and like Amazon prime and stuff?

Like for real. How do we define these magical “markets”.

If people like NDSU football, I don’t even care if they live in a shit hole somewhere or nothing if they have money? Is that how a market works?

I don’t even care about the money if they just like bison football. Like me. They are cool.

Rock
09-05-2022, 03:09 PM
Let’s wait for patty viverito’s thoughts on the subject. Ongoing media plan to protect the conference Sure to come soon.

Rock
09-05-2022, 03:13 PM
Notre dame still not as on board with the whole internet thing as me. Sticking with NBC over the air I think.

But honestly. I think it could be an advantage for us to be the first to really embrace this internet technology.

taper
09-05-2022, 04:00 PM
Notre dame still not as on board with the whole internet thing as me. Sticking with NBC over the air I think.

But honestly. I think it could be an advantage for us to be the first to really embrace this internet technology.

Mr. Beast is reportedly the highest paid Youtuber. Forbes says he made $54M in 2021 across several channels, merchandising, his burger chain, etc.
Notre Dame is reportedly about to sign a ~$70M annual deal for a relatively tiny amount of content.
National broadcasting is still king for premium content. Don't know how long that'll last, but until some streaming service outbids NBC Notre Dame will stick with its bread and butter.

Rock
09-05-2022, 04:31 PM
Mr. Beast is reportedly the highest paid Youtuber. Forbes says he made $54M in 2021 across several channels, merchandising, his burger chain, etc.
Notre Dame is reportedly about to sign a ~$70M annual deal for a relatively tiny amount of content.
National broadcasting is still king for premium content. Don't know how long that'll last, but until some streaming service outbids NBC Notre Dame will stick with its bread and butter.

To be Frank, I don’t think NDSU could pull that kind of deal that Notre Lady is getting.

BUT- we also wouldn’t need to take NBC’s

BULLSHIT!

Internet…. Trust me Bros.

Free the Bison from tv contracts.

Rock
09-05-2022, 04:33 PM
I think NBC set up the whole manti catfish thing bros.

Think about it.

MWC
09-05-2022, 04:57 PM

You do know the MW is essentially an all sorts conference that plays football. Our tv deals don't come for football only. Those tv providers sell advertising for all those football and basketball games they show. That includes the streamers as well as the cable and broadcast tv. They sell based upon viewership. The MW tv deals are minor as is. Getting an occasional playoff slot doesn't overcome that. The conference simply can not look at things through a football prism alone. But, I agree, this may not be a conference NDSU should be pursuing.

Rock
09-05-2022, 05:08 PM
You do know the MW is essentially an all sorts conference that plays football. Our tv deals don't come for football only. Those tv providers sell advertising for all those football and basketball games they show. That includes the streamers as well as the cable and broadcast tv. They sell based upon viewership. The MW tv deals are minor as is. Getting an occasional playoff slot doesn't overcome that. The conference simply can not look at things through a football prism alone. But, I agree, this may not be a conference NDSU should be pursuing.

What I know:

1. Way too much about the intricacies of conference rules and media deal minutia. I mean years of this shit for EVERY conceivable conference and situation and why it is absolutely impossible to be a fit for a conference: and de facto the whole “highest competition opportunity thing”.

2. NDSU is decent at football and would robotic dominate Notre dame if those chickens would have the stones to schedule.

Rock
09-05-2022, 05:10 PM
**And that covid took the Oregon game.**

TAILG8R
09-05-2022, 06:14 PM
You do know the MW is essentially an all sorts conference that plays football. Our tv deals don't come for football only. Those tv providers sell advertising for all those football and basketball games they show. That includes the streamers as well as the cable and broadcast tv. They sell based upon viewership. The MW tv deals are minor as is. Getting an occasional playoff slot doesn't overcome that. The conference simply can not look at things through a football prism alone. But, I agree, this may not be a conference NDSU should be pursuing.I do know there are other sports than football. And I still stand by my statement. Any conference that thinks grabbing crappy teams in a big market is the way to go in this day and age is blind to the future.

MWC
09-05-2022, 06:34 PM
Again, basketball is the focus. However the very best solution for the MW is to not add anybody. You have a fine football team but you aren't a difference maker. You also come from a small market so no add there.

I am agreeing with you..With what you are looking for, the MW is not right for NDSU at all..And more important, not much help to the MW..Just not a good fit all around..

BigHorns
09-05-2022, 06:42 PM
Again, basketball is the focus. However the very best solution for the MW is to not add anybody. You have a fine football team but you aren't a difference maker. You also come from a small market so no add there.

I am agreeing with you..With what you are looking for, the MW is not right for NDSU at all..And more important, not much help to the MW..Just not a good fit all around..

You sure seem pretty intent on keeping us out.
I see Nevada has Texas St and Incarnate Word on the schedule this year.

Would love to play Nevada a relegation football game.

MWC
09-05-2022, 06:54 PM
I have no say either way. Mister Tailgater said that NDSU was not a good fit because the MW would like to be in larger markets. He believes that means the conference will die. He is correct as far as that plays for NDSU. If your calling card is football football football, moving to a basketball centric conference that has football is not at all in your best interests..The reason the MW would like to have some more big markets is primarily for basketball. That is where the conference can make hay. G5 football is not exactly the cash cow we would all like to see.

Like I said..If NDSU comes to the MW I will be supportive. Whether I think it is a good idea or not is irrelevant.

Professorbum
09-05-2022, 07:34 PM
I have no say either way. Mister Tailgater said that NDSU was not a good fit because the MW would like to be in larger markets. He believes that means the conference will die. He is correct as far as that plays for NDSU. If your calling card is football football football, moving to a basketball centric conference that has football is not at all in your best interests..The reason the MW would like to have some more big markets is primarily for basketball. That is where the conference can make hay. G5 football is not exactly the cash cow we would all like to see.

Like I said..If NDSU comes to the MW I will be supportive. Whether I think it is a good idea or not is irrelevant.

I think you are a great poster and you are always welcome here.

Personally, I've never been as enamored with the MWC as others on the board. I'd take an invite in a heartbeat, but it isn't a slam-dunk that we belong there. I think there is a significant CA mentality dominant in the MWC that I don't really care for. I personally wouldn't want to have to navigate playing teams from that state with all the travel boycotts BS and other stuff that comes out of there. Not to mention they are a bazillion miles away.

I actually think we are long-term better off going to something like the CUSA or the MAC and building a dynasty there. I do think if we ever do make it into FBS (and that looks less likely with each passing day given that this school's leadership has sat on its thumbs for years), it will probably be in the CUSA. If that happens, I think the MWC will come to regret that they could have had us at hello, but chose not to. And at that point, NDSU won't be looking at the MWC to improve our lot because we will either be doing fine where we are or are setting our sights higher than the MWC.

MWC
09-05-2022, 07:59 PM
I think you are a great poster and you are always welcome here.

Personally, I've never been as enamored with the MWC as others on the board. I'd take an invite in a heartbeat, but it isn't a slam-dunk that we belong there. I think there is a significant CA mentality dominant in the MWC that I don't really care for. I personally wouldn't want to have to navigate playing teams from that state with all the travel boycotts BS and other stuff that comes out of there. Not to mention they are a bazillion miles away.

I actually think we are long-term better off going to something like the CUSA or the MAC and building a dynasty there. I do think if we ever do make it into FBS (and that looks less likely with each passing day given that this school's leadership has sat on its thumbs for years), it will probably be in the CUSA. If that happens, I think the MWC will come to regret that they could have had us at hello, but chose not to. And at that point, NDSU won't be looking at the MWC to improve our lot because we will either be doing fine where we are or are setting our sights higher than the MWC.

How do you know the MW is "choosing" not to add you? Things change everyday but in 4 years there will be a new contract to negotiate..It is hard to just assume anything one way or the other these days..

As for the CA influence, every school has a vote but it should be noted that there is a school in Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming who have just as much influence..The Air force Academy is a massively respected member by every MW school. It is a good bunch..

Professorbum
09-05-2022, 08:22 PM
How do you know the MW is "choosing" not to add you? Things change everyday but in 4 years there will be a new contract to negotiate..It is hard to just assume anything one way or the other these days..

As for the CA influence, every school has a vote but it should be noted that there is a school in Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming who have just as much influence..The Air force Academy is a massively respected member by every MW school. It is a good bunch..

How do I know? Um, well...because we have not been added. The MWC could have invited us before the current media deal. They could have reasonably justified an invite to us at anytime over the past decade. I have no doubt that if we had been invited, we would have taken it. So, the choice has been the MWC's. If it isn't because of the MWC's choosing that we have not been invited, then who's choosing might it be?

It's fine that this has been the MWC's choice. You belong to a very conservative conference with regard to expansion. CT and the presidents are always holding tight. That's fine. I just think the MWC might regret that some day. I think a conference should have some imagination going into this new era of football. The MWC is like the investor who said "no" to Apple stock in the early 2000s and instead put all their money in govt bonds. You arent losing money, but you're not a mover and shaker either. I'm convinced that NDSU could be someone's Apple stock when it was $14 a share in 2002. Apple stock has since split multiple times and the stock has grown 130 times its original value. NDSU is a good investment. The casual investor sees a state with 760,000 people and thinks ho-hum. A visionary investor sees NDSU sitting on the border with Minnesota (a state of almost 6 million). The visionary investor realizes that NDSU is all over the Twin Cities (I counted 3 NDSU billboards this weekend down there) and is aware that half of NDSU's student body are Minnesotans. A visionary investor is aware that there is some national interest in NDSU's move up to the FBS among college football fans and that, at least for a time, that would pull in some eyeballs. MWC sees an FCS program from a small school in a small state and is playing it safe. I'm okay with that, because we probably belong in a different conference anyway. But I think it kind of reflects a lack of vision.

taper
09-05-2022, 09:05 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if we want an FBS invite the first thing we need to do is improve MBB. FB is already as good as it can be and that clearly isn't good enough to get an invite. Increasing enrollment would help a lot too.

Rock
09-05-2022, 09:14 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if we want an FBS invite the first thing we need to do is improve MBB. FB is already as good as it can be and that clearly isn't good enough to get an invite. Increasing enrollment would help a lot too.

You work on men’s basketball for a couple more years. How much better you think? Talent? Facilities? Both? Womens bball too I suppose?

How are the academics doing per conference standards? Did an athlete get a dui along the way? Uh oh…

I’m all in on this independent robotic FBS bison thing.

Professorbum
09-05-2022, 09:28 PM

I agree that we need to improve MBB. And I definitely agree that we need to turn around enrollment. The problem on that last point is that the university rarely rewards high enrollment programs with investments in faculty and resources to boost those enrollments further. Rather, high enrollment programs tend to subsidize under-enrolled programs with the hopes that those under-enrolled programs will see increases. It is bass-ackwards.

NDSU1980
09-05-2022, 10:16 PM
You sure seem pretty intent on keeping us out.
I see Nevada has Texas St and Incarnate Word on the schedule this year.

Would love to play Nevada a relegation football game.

MWC is a troll. Just ignore him. It's not about keeping us out, it's about trying to get under our skin.

taper
09-05-2022, 10:29 PM
MWC is a troll. Just ignore him. It's not about keeping us out, it's about trying to get under our skin.

If you think MWC is a troll then I don't even know what to say about you. MWC gives a great outside voice.

Rock
09-05-2022, 10:35 PM
If you think MWC is a troll then I don't even know what to say about you. MWC gives a great outside voice.

Linux recognize Linux bro.

That was cold.

MWC
09-05-2022, 11:35 PM
How do I know? Um, well...because we have not been added. The MWC could have invited us before the current media deal. They could have reasonably justified an invite to us at anytime over the past decade. I have no doubt that if we had been invited, we would have taken it. So, the choice has been the MWC's. If it isn't because of the MWC's choosing that we have not been invited, then who's choosing might it be?

It's fine that this has been the MWC's choice. You belong to a very conservative conference with regard to expansion. CT and the presidents are always holding tight. That's fine. I just think the MWC might regret that some day. I think a conference should have some imagination going into this new era of football. The MWC is like the investor who said "no" to Apple stock in the early 2000s and instead put all their money in govt bonds. You arent losing money, but you're not a mover and shaker either. I'm convinced that NDSU could be someone's Apple stock when it was $14 a share in 2002. Apple stock has since split multiple times and the stock has grown 130 times its original value. NDSU is a good investment. The casual investor sees a state with 760,000 people and thinks ho-hum. A visionary investor sees NDSU sitting on the border with Minnesota (a state of almost 6 million). The visionary investor realizes that NDSU is all over the Twin Cities (I counted 3 NDSU billboards this weekend down there) and is aware that half of NDSU's student body are Minnesotans. A visionary investor is aware that there is some national interest in NDSU's move up to the FBS among college football fans and that, at least for a time, that would pull in some eyeballs. MWC sees an FCS program from a small school in a small state and is playing it safe. I'm okay with that, because we probably belong in a different conference anyway. But I think it kind of reflects a lack of vision.

The MW expanded twice before teams started leaving..First TCU then Boise. TCU, Utah and BYU left they expanded by adding NV, FSU and Hawaii then USU and SJSU. The Conference started with 8 and now sits at 12. I don't think they are particularly conservative about any of the moves. They have extended invitations to AAC schools who, to this point, have turned them down. Some of those discussions are ongoing and still active.

They publicly said that they aren't looking at UTEP or NMSU..Idaho too..

They wanted to get into Texas for various reasons. Had Fox and CBS been willing to play ball, I think SMU, Rice, UTSA and Tulsa would all be members..I think they may still..

However, that doesn't mean they haven't vetted you guys and the Montanas. I am certain they have. It also takes two to tango. Those FCS schools may not wish to move up and may not have interest in the MW.

In 2011 when the WAC lost NV, FSU and Hawaii, The Montanas were invited to join along with Texas State and UTSA. and they said no. That conference was still viable. There was USU, NMSU, SJSU, Idaho and La Tech still in place.

I am certainly not trying to troll anybody or get under anybody's skin. On this board the MW is called arrogant, cowardly and unimaginative. One fellow said the conference would die because they are looking to add bigger markets.

All I try to do is address some of the misconceptions about the MW that I see.

We may end up conference mates..We may not. However, the MW is not the bad guys. Things just have to make sense on some level. That is not arrogant or unimaginative..

NDSU92
09-05-2022, 11:43 PM
To everyone's point, we need our MBB to greatly improve if we want to be seen as a strong candidate. Right now we'd be consistently about 25th percentile just looking at year end sagarin rankings. Not so bad that we can't get an invite, but definitely not good enough to be seen as improving the conference.

Meet everyone over in the basketball forum in 5 minutes

NDSU1980
09-05-2022, 11:59 PM

At least I support Bison athletics. And you like the guy because he's against us moving to FBS, just like you.

Hammersmith
09-06-2022, 12:01 AM
To everyone's point, we need our MBB to greatly improve if we want to be seen as a strong candidate. Right now we'd be consistently about 25th percentile just looking at year end sagarin rankings. Not so bad that we can't get an invite, but definitely not good enough to be seen as improving the conference.

Meet everyone over in the basketball forum in 5 minutes

Just another example of how geography hurts our FBS chances. Some G5 conferences put a higher emphasis on basketball than others. It just so happens that the closest G5 conferences to us are both ones that feel that way(MWC & MAC). The G5 conferences that put the highest priority on football over basketball all happen to be the furthest from us. This is not our fault and it's not their fault. It's okay for them to have priorities different from ours. But it does put us in a rougher situation than we would have if we happened to be located in Texas, for instance. Personally, I'm all for finding a way to reallocate another million or so a year to MBB(and a decent amount to WBB) in order to beef up the program. A big chunk of that to coaching salaries to bring in better and/or more experienced coaches(including head), as well as a larger recruiting budget and spending more on guarantee games to improve the schedule. But it's not my money or my decision.

BTW, do any of you get dizzy in this thread? As a mostly outside observer on this thread, it just feels like a high-speed merry-go-round with the same dozen people saying the same dozen things over and over and over. Not saying you have to stop or anything, just wondering out loud why some of you bother? Nobodies' minds are being changed, so it feels like Einstein's definition of insanity playing out.

NDSU92
09-06-2022, 12:19 AM
Just another example of how geography hurts our FBS chances. Some G5 conferences put a higher emphasis on basketball than others. It just so happens that the closest G5 conferences to us are both ones that feel that way(MWC & MAC). The G5 conferences that put the highest priority on football over basketball all happen to be the furthest from us. This is not our fault and it's not their fault. It's okay for them to have priorities different from ours. But it does put us in a rougher situation than we would have if we happened to be located in Texas, for instance. Personally, I'm all for finding a way to reallocate another million or so a year to MBB(and a decent amount to WBB) in order to beef up the program. A big chunk of that to coaching salaries to bring in better and/or more experienced coaches(including head), as well as a larger recruiting budget and spending more on guarantee games to improve the schedule. But it's not my money or my decision.

BTW, do any of you get dizzy in this thread? As a mostly outside observer on this thread, it just feels like a high-speed merry-go-round with the same dozen people saying the same dozen things over and over and over. Not saying you have to stop or anything, just wondering out loud why some of you bother? Nobodies' minds are being changed, so it feels like Einstein's definition of insanity playing out.

A) it’s the off-season (or at least has been)
B) there are major realignments, governmental and post season structural changes that have all taken place in the last couple of months
C) the ramifications of moving to FBS have about 1,000x the impact to the future of our university than one of our kids running a route correctly or some play getting called
D) conference realignment is fun to me in the “game of thrones” political sense

Yes, the mountain west has an increased attention towards basketball, but football still drives the bus. There are plenty of great basketball programs on the west coast and all have a 0% chance of getting into the Mountain West unless they got their football program to the level ours is at. Yes, basketball is not helping us but it’s not the most important thing to the conference. And our basketball program is not bad, it just wouldn’t be top half of the league in year one. I would think that’s okay…

Rock
09-06-2022, 12:36 AM
Lol- dudes. MWC dude. Did they invite TCU AND BOISE STATE back in the day because of impressive basketball and geography?

It’s always a different hoop. If you try to do it their way- say fuck it now dudes.

We gotta go our way. Get a deal like liberty and go independant.

It’s the only way. Wake up sheeple!

Lol. J/k Wolfie. [emoji6]

Rock
09-06-2022, 12:39 AM
Fucking Hawaii gets a geography pass and North Dakota doesn’t somehow???

Yeah… fuck you MWC dude…

Rock
09-06-2022, 12:40 AM
Valley city is beautiful in the morning.

Come see THAT sunrise you MWC bitches…

Prefer Honolulu or some shit I suppose…

Rock
09-06-2022, 12:42 AM
Is that trolling?

Is that what that is?

Rock
09-06-2022, 12:44 AM
Robotic Bison. Driven by AI. Programmed to DOMINATE.

Mother fucker tested.

Mother approved.

FBS BISON.

TM

taper
09-06-2022, 12:45 AM
At least I support Bison athletics. And you like the guy because he's against us moving to FBS, just like you.

No, just no. I'm not in any way against going FBS, just against killing NDSU athletics.

Rock
09-06-2022, 12:47 AM
You guys remember when Teddy at chubs just ripped on a fucking guy brutal?. That stupid fucking drunk guy?

That was me dudes. [emoji6]

Rock
09-06-2022, 12:48 AM
No, just no. I'm not in any way against going FBS, just against killing NDSU athletics.

Lol! Logic function still works!

Rock
09-06-2022, 12:50 AM
We should have a thread in memory of Teddy and I’m sorry if I missed it.

But damn. I actually really miss that fucker.

MWC
09-06-2022, 12:52 AM
Lol- dudes. MWC dude. Did they invite TCU AND BOISE STATE back in the day because of impressive basketball and geography?

It’s always a different hoop. If you try to do it their way- say fuck it now dudes.

We gotta go our way. Get a deal like liberty and go independant.

It’s the only way. Wake up sheeple!

Lol. J/k Wolfie. [emoji6]

No..In those days football was the key to the BCS..However, after beating their head against the wall trying to get into the big boy club and being rejected they started paying more attention to basketball. They haven't given up on football at all..But there is far greater opportunity on the basketball side because G5 football is no big bread earner..

Hawaii pays to be football only. Were NDSU to be invited for all sports they would not have to pay.

If the MW wants you the geography makes no difference..You could a member by next week..Who knows.

You guys don't seem to hate all the other conferences that haven't invited you..Why the MW?

Rock
09-06-2022, 12:57 AM
No..In those days football was the key to the BCS..However, after beating their head against the wall trying to get into the big boy club and being rejected they started paying more attention to basketball. They haven't given up on football at all..But there is far greater opportunity on the basketball side because G5 football is no big bread earner..

Hawaii pays to be football only. Were NDSU to be invited for all sports they would not have to pay.

If the MW wants you the geography makes no difference..You could a member by next week..Who knows.

You guys don't seem to hate all the other conferences that haven't invited you..Why the MW?

I do. Fuck them all bro.

There. I did it.

Now we will get ZERO INVITES.

Wasn’t even lakes.

Rock
09-06-2022, 12:58 AM
Bison independence.

Fuck them pussy conferences.

All of them.

And their mothers.

TM

Rock
09-06-2022, 12:59 AM
Free this herd my lord.

-Jesus (or someone similar)

TM

Rock
09-06-2022, 01:02 AM
You don’t hate Jesus?

The MWC doesn’t hate Jesus? Do they bro?

All of them? Even Utah?

TM

MWC
09-06-2022, 01:03 AM
Free this herd my lord.

-Jesus (or someone similar)

TM

Hahahaha..I do like your style..You have almost free form jazz stylings happening in your rants..

Rock
09-06-2022, 01:03 AM
At least Jesus would be good at “trolling”. [emoji6]

Rock
09-06-2022, 01:04 AM
And I’m white..: but thanks for the “assumption”…

Jazz indeed.

MWC
09-06-2022, 01:05 AM
The Fuck You is timely, I guess, but that is sort of played at this point in message board land. Expand brother expand..

Rock
09-06-2022, 01:05 AM
Avenged vibes.

Rock
09-06-2022, 01:06 AM
Faster a i then BYU

MOTHER FUCKER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWC
09-06-2022, 01:07 AM
Free form jazz knows no color..Stan Kenton was a monster and white as the driven snow..

I think you do have some potential but you do need to expand on your meanderings..You have it in you..I believe in you dude

MWC
09-06-2022, 01:10 AM
Saying "Fuck You" is like surrender..Aim higher brother..You are entertaining as hell but you can't go to the same well too often. Let your freak flag fly..

MWC
09-06-2022, 01:12 AM
Back in the 70's Nevada was a 1AA independent as a way to get some juice going. I believe there is merit in your idea about going independent.

Professorbum
09-06-2022, 01:24 AM

No one hates the MWC. As I said, I would have NDSU jump at the chance for a MWC invite. I did agree with you that maybe we arent the best fit for each other. But my view is most certainly a minority view. Most people here who support a move to FBS think the MWC is the most logical destination for us. I think a lot of people have been on the MWC board and have seen plenty of derision and belittling thrown NDSU's way. So that probably explains some people's views. For me, I just don't want to be partnered with anything California. Actually, I'd love to be in a conference with WY, NV, and UNLV, BSU, CSU, and the AFA.

MWC
09-06-2022, 01:27 AM
Nevada is a totally Blue state..Not much different than California.

Rock
09-06-2022, 01:54 AM
Saying "Fuck You" is like surrender..Aim higher brother..You are entertaining as hell but you can't go to the same well too often. Let your freak flag fly..

Shows what you know. The freaks taught me to say fuck you while I’m fucking with you.

It’s a flag that we’ve just begun.

At least that’s the way I see it shooter.

I’m playing for chubs. And teddy. [emoji6]

Rock
09-06-2022, 01:55 AM
I’m happy.

https://youtu.be/lMUVKuSJHco

MWC
09-06-2022, 01:58 AM
You planted your flag and you are standing on that hill..I respect that. You are owning the Fuck You like you were the first to ever say it..That is all good..I just have higher expectations for you..You have some solid word play..I was just advising you to open up the book a bit..Explore those new horizons..

Professorbum
09-06-2022, 02:10 AM
Nevada is a totally Blue state..Not much different than California.

I dunno. I could live in Elko NV just fine.

MWC
09-06-2022, 02:16 AM
You could live in Reno too..Vegas sucks but for a whole lot of different reasons.

Rock
09-06-2022, 03:09 AM
You planted your flag and you are standing on that hill..I respect that. You are owning the Fuck You like you were the first to ever say it..That is all good..I just have higher expectations for you..You have some solid word play..I was just advising you to open up the book a bit..Explore those new horizons..

“New” Horisons Lol.

I’m a Bison. We fucking been there. Done that.

Sold you suckers the t-shirt.

MWC
09-06-2022, 03:27 AM
Loosen up, man..You can do so much better..It is in there..You have the words..Upload the imagination..

Rock
09-06-2022, 04:02 AM
Loosen up, man..You can do so much better..It is in there..You have the words..Upload the imagination..

Dreaming of the mountain west man.

Like brokeass back mountain.

MWC
09-06-2022, 04:25 AM
If you are going full on performance art, you can't do the same old polka even with your interpretive dance mambo..You have to change the script..You can do this..Spread your wings young Padawan. You can find new streams to finesse with a palate of wondrous word trees. You are so close but you keep digging up the same tapped out mine.

Rock
09-06-2022, 04:38 AM
If you are going full on performance art, you can't do the same old polka even with your interpretive dance mambo..You have to change the script..You can do this..Spread your wings young Padawan. You can find new streams to finesse with a palate of wondrous word trees. You are so close but you keep digging up the same tapped out mine.

Fuck off. Ignore. I don’t give a fuck what the mountain west fucking thinks of me.

I know I’m a BISON. We fuck. A lot. Harder.

Than you.

Rock
09-06-2022, 04:43 AM
I fucking told lakes it was a LOT more efficient to talk shit to entire conferences than one team at a time…. Lol

Der huh?

Like in hindsight? So obvi.

El_Chapo
09-06-2022, 05:45 AM

pretty sure everyone has him on ignore, or he's massposting this thread to get it shut down because he doesn't want to go fbs.

Rock
09-06-2022, 07:40 AM
pretty sure everyone has him on ignore, or he's massposting this thread to get it shut down because he doesn't want to go fbs.

Lol. That’s what they told me about you.

Rock
09-06-2022, 11:52 AM

I call this character “A Wrestler’s Poetry.”

Yeah. We wrestle Big12 already bitch. With air force right?

[emoji6]