Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA meetings this week

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NCAA meetings this week

I think this would be a significant advantage to FCS schools if this can be offered to partials. I don't think its a big deal for athletes already on full rides which means offering this extra money to partials closes the gap between MTW and MAC schools we compete against for recruits.

Looking at the list of FCS programs out there, I have to think there are only 20-24 programs out there who would even think about adding the stipend. Then you have the bottom feeder G5 programs who may or may not want to be involved in all of this, as well. I say this might push college football into realignment sooner rather than later. The P5 will figure out a way to balance their conferences with a minimum of 14 each. That would be one school from the ACC moving over to the Big 12 and the addition of 4 more schools to get them all even. This is important for P5 legislation because then each conference will have the same number of votes. Notre Dame and BYU would be added to a P5 conference and then you would think there would be three current G5 schools that would move up. Then what is left is the G5 and FCS schools who want to pay the stipend (which becomes the new second tier) and those that don't (which becomes the new third tier). There has to be realignment to maintain competitive parity to some degree. Even if all the G5 schools want to pay the stipend, they have room for the 20 FCS programs that do. You would be right around that 80 number for five 16 team conferences. It would make for a very fun 8 team playoff in December capping off with championship weekend for the top three tiers. The basketball only schools left is right around 80. That becomes a little tricky as they could make up another five 16 team conferences on their own that mixes into the 2nd tier after the football season is over. Or the five football conferences split into ten each adding 8 more schools for basketball insuring at least half the football schools always play each other in all sports.

The bottom line is the faster that NDSU and other FCS programs that want to get in on the stipend business get in on it, the faster it forces everyone else to get the ball rolling on resetting college football to its true equilibrium. Football schools can be with football schools or at least with schools wanting to make a similar commitment. Right now there is so much disparity among FCS, for example, because you have four different levels of commitment within this one subdivision. It has to go further than realignment among just FCS. You will end up with two superconferences and everyone else. Sure it is kind of what it is like right now, but even more pronounced.

here's the podcast of today's interview with Hallstrom and Matt Larsen... give it a listen. well worth your time. http://podcast.flagfamily.com/?name=...-15_hour_2.mp3
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

I think the one thing people are overlooking is that we have no choice but to offer COA SCHOLARSHIPS in men's and women's basketball....as well as women's volleyball

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    I think the one thing people are overlooking is that we have no choice but to offer COA SCHOLARSHIPS in men's and women's basketball....as well as women's volleyball
    I would think softball, wrestling, track and baseball as well. not so sure about golf.

Fine with me.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Fine with me.
    I am with you PL you gotta do it for all and just consider it cost of doing business.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    I am with you PL you gotta do it for all and just consider it cost of doing business.
    I'm simply saying those sports you have no option.... If we don't might as well go d3

I'm simply saying those sports you have no option.... If we don't might as well go d3
    I agree. I would like to see us do it for all sports.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

I agree, but would add TF, wrestling, softball and Baseball. Golf is the only thing I think would not change who we recruit. Perhaps baseball is another one were we would not see too much drop off, just not sure as I dont follow it as much as I should hence the wavering.