Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 2 Polls

Default Re: Week 2 Polls

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Lol@ Montana state #3
    That's what I was thinking. UNI's win over ISU is a hell of a lot more impressive than MSU's loss to SMU.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    Yea they got rid of those pesky FCS teams they can't beat...oh wait...Western Ill rolling in this week.
    To be fair, Western Illinois is from the MVFC, and this year the MVFC > Big 12...a win over WIU will be very impressive for Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    That's what I was thinking. UNI's win over ISU is a hell of a lot more impressive than MSU's loss to SMU.
    It goes back to where you start, and many voters will overlook a loss to an FBS school no matter the quality even vs a win. When UNI's FBS win was overshadowed by the number of FCS wins the first week. Goes towards my disdain of preseason polls. See also, Montana last year who started ranked high and even with losses to FCS teams slowly trickled down the polls.

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post

this

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberValley View Post
    We slipped a little but I'll still take it.

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It goes back to where you start, and many voters will overlook a loss to an FBS school no matter the quality even vs a win. When UNI's FBS win was overshadowed by the number of FCS wins the first week. Goes towards my disdain of preseason polls. See also, Montana last year who started ranked high and even with losses to FCS teams slowly trickled down the polls.
    Some people really lock themselves into those preseason polls and how they think a team is going to do, and ignore what is happening in front of their face. EIU and McNeese were not highly regarded to start, and that shows in the coaches poll. Some people are locked into slotting teams and have stupid rules about not jumping teams more than x amount of spots after a win. That may be a good way of doing things in week 9, but it's two weeks in and the results on the field should be the only factor in polls right now.

As far as MSU, what does a team have to do to jump ahead of them in the rankings? I can understand not penalizing for losing an FBS, but UNI, Towson, etc with FBS wins are being shafted big time. I bet if MSU somehow loses to Mesa, they fall no farther than 8, with many using the Denarius being gone excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    Some people really lock themselves into those preseason polls and how they think a team is going to do, and ignore what is happening in front of their face. EIU and McNeese were not highly regarded to start, and that shows in the coaches poll. Some people are locked into slotting teams and have stupid rules about not jumping teams more than x amount of spots after a win. That may be a good way of doing things in week 9, but it's two weeks in and the results on the field should be the only factor in polls right now.

As far as MSU, what does a team have to do to jump ahead of them in the rankings? I can understand not penalizing for losing an FBS, but UNI, Towson, etc with FBS wins are being shafted big time. I bet if MSU somehow loses to Mesa, they fall no farther than 8, with many using the Denarius being gone excuse.
    You've got great points, and I agree 100%, much why I started the poll last year. I wanted to see if it really is random for most people or if there is a lot of carry over from week to week. And what I'm finding is for the top 15 for the most part there is loyalty to their spot. Other than that its willy nilly voting. I think its hard to look at ranking teams until they've played 3 or 4 games because you get locked into what they did last year, plus you have no clue what the new kids will do or how much they really lost. You could have a stud transfer that doesn't pan out, or you could have a true freshman play thats a stud. The one thing we all fear with FBS games is what happened to MSU, injuries and length of sitting out is something that some people take into effect to. I would be interested in what guidelines are given to Coaches and to AP voters, I've seen the AGS guidance. But for the most part if you are going to have a quality poll, I feel you need to be as visible as you can with the voting, as far as names and if there is an issue, who votes for who. But in the end you are still getting what people ask for, its an opinion and you can't fault someones opinion.

you can't fault someones opinion.
    Of course you can. Some people have terrible opinions all of the time. All people have terrible opinions some of the time.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Of course you can. Some people have terrible opinions all of the time. All people have terrible opinions some of the time.
    Opinions are like A$$holes everyone has one and yours stinks...or something like that.