Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In a game decided by big plays......

Default In a game decided by big plays......

(this is the first thread I've ever started on this Forum, hopefully I do it right)

In a championship game decided by big plays, one of the biggest to me, was the tackle made by Carlton Littlejohn on Sam Houston State receiver Torrence Williams. I can't remember the exact circumstances but I'm sure others can fill in my gaps of memory.

The first photo attached (courtesy of the Sam Houston State Bearkat football forum) details the tackle and the second, shows that if Littlejohn had not made the tackle, what stood between Williams and the end zone.

Another example of Offense sells tickets, Defense wins Championships! Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Excuses are like armpits, everybody's got 'em and they all stink" Rocky Hager

Default Re: In a game decided by big plays......

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofbeats View Post
    (this is the first thread I've ever started on this Forum, hopefully I do it right)

In a championship game decided by big plays, one of the biggest to me, was the tackle made by Carlton Littlejohn on Sam Houston State receiver Torrence Williams. I can't remember the exact circumstances but I'm sure others can fill in my gaps of memory.

The first photo attached (courtesy of the Sam Houston State Bearkat football forum) details the tackle and the second, shows that if Littlejohn had not made the tackle, what stood between Williams and the end zone.

Start more, your avatar is nice. Who is that?

Quote Originally Posted by TateMosersneighbor View Post
    Start more, your avatar is nice. Who is that?
    Me. You like my rack?

Thank you for the kind words & classy post. I must make a point from my perspective however. I do it with respect for your outstanding team & fan base.

The game wasn't decided by a few big plays. SHSU's offense entered into a state of disarray as the game progressed...and it had little to no momentum. It felt like many of our games this year. The score would be close...but the opposition had little chance of catching up. Once the pattern had been set up yesterday...it felt very familiar & predictable. Our offense provided just enough time & yardage to complement our defense. That felt pretty normal.

We won the championship with one of the best defenses in all of college football...a minimal amount of offense...and a defensive score (-a yard). Defense made up for our early turnovers & the punt block.

This game didn't turn on a dime...or a few plays. The methodical breakdown of an outstanding offense is what I saw. Every play was big.

Still...if forced to...I would call SHSU the best team that we played this year.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Thank you for the kind words & classy post. I must make a point from my perspective however. I do it with respect for your outstanding team & fan base.

The game wasn't decided by a few big plays. SHSU's offense entered into a state of disarray as the game progressed...and it had little to no momentum. It felt like many of our games this year. The score would be close...but the opposition had little chance of catching up. Once the pattern had been set up yesterday...it felt very familiar & predictable. Our offense provided just enough time & yardage to complement our defense. That felt pretty normal.

We won the championship with one of the best defenses in all of college football...a minimal amount of offense...and a defensive score (-a yard). Defense made up for our early turnovers & the punt block.

This game didn't turn on a dime...or a few plays. The methodical breakdown of an outstanding offense is what I saw. Every play was big.

Still...if forced to...I would call SHSU the best team that we played this year.

Hey CA, Hoofbeats is a Bison fan.

I liked the post hoofbeats! Start more threads this is great! Do you remember the time of this play and the score?
    Ho! A cheer for Green and Yellow!

Quote Originally Posted by extremerouge View Post
    Hey CA, Hoofbeats is a Bison fan.

I liked the post hoofbeats! Start more threads this is great! Do you remember the time of this play and the score?
    Didn't realize that...sorry. I still stand by the analysis. My bad.

Sorry I mistook you for a SHSU fan. No good reason for it. Just was in a hurry. Excellent first post Hoofbeats.

Thanks guys....I'm a five year observer of this forum, but most times I just don't have much of value to add....this might be one of those times!

As for the play, I beleive it came after that long Sam Houston punt return (that guy chewed us up) just before halftime. After that return Littlejohn making the play he did and making it within the 20 yard line, led to Sam Houston having to settle for their second field goal and a 6-3 halftime lead.

I suppose you can go back and play the "what if" game but in my opinion, if Sam Houston scores a touchdown with less than a minute remaining in the half, it's a entirely different situation for the Bison to start the second half behind 10-3 versus just 6-3. I remember Jeremy Jorgenson interviewing Craig Bohl just prior to the start of the second half and his calm demeanor and quiet confidence was reassuring to hear. Voigtlander's third quarter jaunt and DJ's next play touchdown which put the Bison ahead 10-3 was again to me, another huge turn, again just as that from Carlton Littlejohn.
    "Excuses are like armpits, everybody's got 'em and they all stink" Rocky Hager

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Id say UNI. YSU is a joke and we would have throttled them any other week. Definitely a fluke that game was.

Great comment Hoofbeats, and CaBisonFan.

There were a number of games we could have slipped up on this year, but for the defense and an opportune coaching call and the offense executing, including SIU and the Champsionship game. And YSU game proves that any team can loose on any particular day. We would have won that game had DJ not fumble and the momentum turned. Or, if Williams doesn't grab that ball in Minnesota.

There were several situations that made this the season, and that play was as crucial as any of them. Fortunately, the defense was nearly always there this year.
    You have GOT to be Kidding...