Page 10 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 8910111220601105101010 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

I see your Jefferson quote and raise you three, backpages:

"The two principles on which our conduct towards the Indians should be founded are justice and fear."

"the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine"

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I see your Jefferson quote and raise you three, backpages:

"The two principles on which our conduct towards the Indians should be founded are justice and fear."

"the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine"
    Tony: Excellent! Great dialog!
    My heroes wear the Congressional Medal of Honor.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." --- General George Patton

In the trial(s) of Charles Manson the defense rested without giving co-defendants Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkel and Leslie Van Houten the opportunity to testify when they indicated they wanted to do so. Judge Charles H. Older paraphrased Jefferson when he said: “The right to testify supersedes any and all other rights.” I have long since found that as an extension of Jefferson and an interpretation of Jefferson. That ruling, allowing them to testify, was crucial as in their testimony they convicted themselves. Previous, it was all circumstantial evidence. My point is that people have the right to be heard when they indicate they want to do so. The individual members on Standing Rock have expressed the same. By the way, Older was originally from Hibbing, MN. Great Midwestern wisdom.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." --- General George Patton

backpages, I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing (just so you know)

First, Carlson's bill completely takes a vote by Standing Rock off the table.

Second, there is no legally recognized body except the tribal councils for making these kind of decisions. Moreover, suppose the vote was 60% for "Yes, I like the nickname" and 40% for "No, it must go." Looking a vote like that, wouldn't the Tribal Council be within their rights to say, "Holy cow, we're not giving our name away unconditionally when 40% of our people say no."

Bottom line is that there is no reason that the wishes of Standing Rock's tribal council should not be acknowledged as valid as long as they are legal. The plain fact is that if the tribal population voted against the nickname and the tribal council voted for it, the nickname folks would recognize the tribal council's decision as valid and reject the popular vote. Just like they'd reject any future popular votes that went agaisnt the nickname.

The "nickname uber alles" folks will ALWAYS reject any vote or decision that they don't agree with. That's their only guiding principle.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Let's all just agree that this is a huge hornet's nest. Wait!!! That gives me an idea for a new novel: "The Girl Who Kicked the Sioux Memorabilia"

What I don't understand is that neither Standing Rock members or any other "Sioux" indian own the effin term, name or whatever people want to call it. Hell there are businesses named Sioux Electric, Sioux Plumbing, Sioux Mfr., etc., but no on complains or bitches about that. In fact many are owned by Sioux indians. I just don't get the politically correct, double-standards thing at all. And now, the ND legislature is contemplating a bill to study why indian students aren't graduating at a higher rate than 57% and to throw money at the situation depending on the study results. I bet the indians balk at any monetary support from the ND legislature--YA, RIGHT!!! Whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!on all this PC bullshit.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    ... there are businesses named Sioux Electric, Sioux Plumbing, Sioux Mfr., etc.,
    Sioux City, IA
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Sioux County, ND (aka Standing Rock Reservation)

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    What I don't understand is that neither Standing Rock members or any other "Sioux" indian own the effin term, name or whatever people want to call it. Hell there are businesses named Sioux Electric, Sioux Plumbing, Sioux Mfr., etc., but no on complains or bitches about that. In fact many are owned by Sioux indians. I just don't get the politically correct, double-standards thing at all. And now, the ND legislature is contemplating a bill to study why indian students aren't graduating at a higher rate than 57% and to throw money at the situation depending on the study results. I bet the indians balk at any monetary support from the ND legislature--YA, RIGHT!!! Whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!on all this PC bullshit.
    It's because mascots/logos dehumanize and offend people. People aren't mascots...oh wait...nevermind http://www.solen.k12.nd.us/Solen.html

I guess it's ok in some cases...

Quote Originally Posted by dmksioux View Post
    It's because mascots/logos dehumanize and offend people. People aren't mascots...oh wait...nevermind http://www.solen.k12.nd.us/Solen.html

I guess it's ok in some cases...
    Considering Solen is on their reservation, the school probably has the best argument for using that name compared to anyone else.

Also, they are a part of the NDHSAA, not the NCAA.

[QUOTE=tony;463431]backpages, I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing (just so you know)

Tony: Thanks, I enjoy it!