Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Schultz and NDSU Radio Contract

Default Re: Ed Schultz and NDSU Radio Contract

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Remember, this is a guy that was up for the Vikings job and most here don't think he's good enough? He's a phenomenal announcer and he's arrogant and kind of a jackass at times, but he gets people talking and excited! He's fun to listen to and that is no disrespect to Scott Miller. I would be estatic to have him back in the booth!
    I don't think anyone here is saying he isn't a good announcer. His problem is that he has way too much baggage that would be coming along with him. I think most would say that this baggage FAR outweighs any positives he could bring.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I certainly understand, but I, for one think the bid price going up is more important than any problems I have with Ed and would welcome his return if he wins and also be very happy if Scott M. stays.

By the way, I think it was gabe who said he understands evolution in political views (not sure if he was serious in this statement or not for the reasons that follow). I, for one, don't think Ed's views have changed at all. When it was profitable for Ed to be a conservative, Ed was a conservative. When it was profitable for Ed to be a liberal, Ed became a liberal. When it was profitable for Ed to do UND games, he did UND games. When it was profitable for Ed to do NDSU games again, ....... Anyone see a trend here?

This is NOT meant as a political discussion, but just to point out that Ed is in things for Ed, not what he believes.
    I agree... I don't think he's completely shifted to the left side either. I think he may have some views, but I believe he's in it for the money. If he drives up the price, fine, but God help us all if he gets his mouth anywhere near that microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Bizon View Post
    I agree... I don't think he's completely shifted to the left side either. I think he may have some views, but I believe he's in it for the money. If he drives up the price, fine, but God help us all if he gets his mouth anywhere near that microphone.
    If that's not an absolute proposterous statement, I don't know what is. Explain to me how he could be in it for the money, when he's already making well over 7 figures. No offense, but I don't think NDSU could offer 1/10 of what Ed is already making.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHinn View Post
    If that's not an absolute proposterous statement, I don't know what is. Explain to me how he could be in it for the money, when he's already making well over 7 figures. No offense, but I don't think NDSU could offer 1/10 of what Ed is already making.
    He's doing whatever he can to make a buck. Yeah he's making well over 7 figures now, because he switched sides. I doubt he was making that much as a republican... I didn't see any national shows come calling for him then.

Quote Originally Posted by Green-N-Gold View Post
    I don't think anyone here is saying he isn't a good announcer. His problem is that he has way too much baggage that would be coming along with him. I think most would say that this baggage FAR outweighs any positives he could bring.
    Baggage? You make it sound like he's Michael Vick or something. He's got the highest rated radio show in the history of Fargo-Moorhead. He's got a national radio show and TV show. He was a finalist for the Minnesota Vikings job and a phenomenal voice. He's the best we could ever find. The positives FAR outweigh any negatives he could bring.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I certainly understand, but I, for one think the bid price going up is more important than any problems I have with Ed and would welcome his return if he wins and also be very happy if Scott M. stays.

By the way, I think it was gabe who said he understands evolution in political views (not sure if he was serious in this statement or not for the reasons that follow). I, for one, don't think Ed's views have changed at all. When it was profitable for Ed to be a conservative, Ed was a conservative. When it was profitable for Ed to be a liberal, Ed became a liberal. When it was profitable for Ed to do UND games, he did UND games. When it was profitable for Ed to do NDSU games again, ....... Anyone see a trend here?

This is NOT meant as a political discussion, but just to point out that Ed is in things for Ed, not what he believes.
    One would assume that the switches were over money but I don't think it's true.

I think Ed switching to UND had more to do with the poor relationship he had with the Forum, WDAY TV, and 970AM after he jumped ship to do News and Views on 790.

He didn't just switch from conservative to liberal overnight. He gradually did it and he actually switched at the peak of the republican party. He's still very conservative in many area's, like guns, but he's gone more liberal in other area's. I think his wife had more to do with that influence. There is a good writeup on his website how his views evolved over the years. One that jumped out at me is his view on the homeless. Ed from 10 years ago would have said, "go get a job." Ed of today realizes that many of these homeless are veterans of war that the government never took care of.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I think Ed switching to UND had more to do with the poor relationship he had with the Forum, WDAY TV, and 970AM after he jumped ship to do News and Views on 790.

He didn't just switch from conservative to liberal overnight. He gradually did it and he actually switched at the peak of the republican party. He's still very conservative in many area's, like guns, but he's gone more liberal in other area's. I think his wife had more to do with that influence. There is a good writeup on his website how his views evolved over the years. One that jumped out at me is his view on the homeless. Ed from 10 years ago would have said, "go get a job." Ed of today realizes that many of these homeless are veterans of war that the government never took care of.
    I don't think I'll ever be able to read any of your posts the same again.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

This is probably more about Ed's ego and wanting to stay prominent in the area, Bison football would do that and still allow him the chance to do his national stuff.

I don't really want this to happen, I would hate to lose Scotty Miller, especially for NDSU basketball.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Baggage? You make it sound like he's Michael Vick or something. He's got the highest rated radio show in the history of Fargo-Moorhead. He's got a national radio show and TV show. He was a finalist for the Minnesota Vikings job and a phenomenal voice. He's the best we could ever find. The positives FAR outweigh any negatives he could bring.
    Yes, baggage. It's already been mentioned many times already in this topic. We will just have to disagree on the positive versus negative he'd bring.

Wow, I was quite surprised by this post. I thought you were trying to be funny in the previous one.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but Ed is in things for Ed. I can't say more or be in trouble with the moderators. What I think I can say without getting in trouble, is that I don't think most of the talking heads believe everything they say, no matter if on the right or left. They are all in it for the coin, and the more outlandish they are, the more they get air play, and the more success they generate.

The biggest flaw in your argument is that Ed did leave WDAY for money. KFGO, when paying him big money to elevate the status of the station, needed to compete with WDAY, so he went after UND (he was basically in charge at the time). This is called good business. (Ed told this to me this personally in my one and only personal converstaion with him.) I would have done the same in his shoes, although I admit I am sure you are right that he did enjoy rubbing WDAY's nose in it.

So, I maintain, Ed is in it for Ed, and the move to UND had more to do with him needed to justify his big salary at the time by competing with WDAY. This was also clearly a good business more for KFGO at the time.