Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: NDSU retirements

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU retirements

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    My misinformation isn’t being regurgitated all over this board in the form of memes and links to Fox News and Newsmax. I’m also not the one shitting all over the personal college experiences of others even though you have none. Your blind spot is so large that it is impossible for you to change lanes.
    So you're not a fan?
    Duly noted.

That's cool. I still like much of your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    Not at all. He is smarter than I, in that he doesn't seem to wade to deep into political discussions.
    I simply likened his response (which was probably made tongue in cheek) to the left's prominent strategy of silencing (filtering in this case) inconvenient information.
    I don't mind political discussions. I said I went to NDSU, majored in Finance, and didn't experience the things people worry about. I'm very conservative. Probably moreso than my Gen X parents are. They also went to NDSU.

My law school in NYC was a different story. That had some elements of indoctrination in the speakers who were brought in, etc. But even there, I got some good grades in classes taught by leftists, and got average grades in classes taught by moderate or conservative types.

I didn't say there was not a problem on many college campuses. I said I did not have that experience at North Dakota State.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I don't mind political discussions. I said I went to NDSU, majored in Finance, and didn't experience the things people worry about. I'm very conservative. Probably moreso than my Gen X parents are. They also went to NDSU.

My law school in NYC was a different story. That had some elements of indoctrination in the speakers who were brought in, etc. But even there, I got some good grades in classes taught by leftists, and got average grades in classes taught by moderate or conservative types.

I didn't say there was not a problem on many college campuses. I said I did not have that experience at North Dakota State.
    NDSU is solidly conservative/ moderate politically…also more religious than any other campus I’ve been on—even the “radicals” are solid Lutherans…

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think a bigger source of the information a student receives on topics like this come from other students. Many people do come from fairly homogenous backgrounds. College may be the first time they get to know people different from them. Once they meet people with different viewpoints and experiences, they see things differently.

My kids went to a very diverse high school in many ways (financial, ethnic, racially, religious, poltically, nationality, LGTBQ, etc.). When they went to college, they had many friends who came from rural or wealthy suburban areas (two examples of areas that often have less diversity). Their friends had very different views on things and struggled to get along with all the new people they met until they got to know them. Your views start to change when you get to meet the real people behind the stereotypes and understand them better. And that can go both ways.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    My law school in NYC was a different story. That had some elements of indoctrination in the speakers who were brought in, etc.
    Impossible. I read many proclaim right here that it simply doesn't happen and if you read otherwise it's fake news.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    Impossible. I read many proclaim right here that it simply doesn't happen and if you read otherwise it's fake news.
    Not at all what was said. What was said is that the overall public good is not served in any meaningful way if a large portion of the conservative electorate continues to paint college campuses as a place where conservative young people are not welcomed. There is a place on college campuses for conservative voices and we should be encouraging them to attend so that the student body has a more well rounded discussion from both sides of the political aisle. But sure, continue to paint college education as something that only serves the purpose of indoctrinating youth into the liberal movement.

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    ... solid Lutherans…
    Isn't that an oxymoron?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I think a bigger source of the information a student receives on topics like this come from other students. Many people do come from fairly homogenous backgrounds. College may be the first time they get to know people different from them. Once they meet people with different viewpoints and experiences, they see things differently.

My kids went to a very diverse high school in many ways (financial, ethnic, racially, religious, poltically, nationality, LGTBQ, etc.). When they went to college, they had many friends who came from rural or wealthy suburban areas (two examples of areas that often have less diversity). Their friends had very different views on things and struggled to get along with all the new people they met until they got to know them. Your views start to change when you get to meet the real people behind the stereotypes and understand them better. And that can go both ways.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    THAT is one of the best parts of going to college. My son and I talked about this last night after he got back from college. He'd had a very liberal religion class he took. I think that was a good thing for him as he understood others see things differently, and it is still okay to hold onto your core beliefs. Folks don't need to agree on everything; sadly, the fringes of society don't seem to understand that.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    THAT is one of the best parts of going to college. My son and I talked about this last night after he got back from college. He'd had a very liberal religion class he took. I think that was a good thing for him as he understood others see things differently, and it is still okay to hold onto your core beliefs. Folks don't need to agree on everything; sadly, the fringes of society don't seem to understand that.
    100% agree. The college experience challenges you to explore and discover your personal belief system and there aren't too many other places in our society that allow that to happen the way that it does on a college campus.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    100% agree. The college experience challenges you to explore and discover your personal belief system and there aren't too many other places in our society that allow that to happen the way that it does on a college campus.
    +1

10 char and change
    Don't believe everything you think.