Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible starting offensive and defense 2021 season

Default Re: Possible starting offensive and defense 2021 season

Quote Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
    Even QB will be interesting , will cam take a big step ? or another new QB
    I really hope QP2 wins it. He can run and we are better when we have a running QB. Cam is a scrambling QB which is not the same. He doesn't have enough time to change his physique but Patterson is a man

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I hope Zabel and Rock are starting on the O-line this fall. Those two guys were dudes as (technically) true freshmen in the spring. Add them to Volson, Jensen, Mauch, the Kubas bros, Sundell, etc and the O-line has the potential to be very good and deep.
    I don't know how much they can improve in only 4 months. It's not like they had a year to redshirt and out oline sucked last year. I don't see much changing other than mentally getting sharper and a new coach getting better

But Zabel actually looked like he should have been starting. Volson didn't have a breakout year. Mauch looked like a backup. Sundell snapped over the QBs head regularly and was bullied in the trenches

Doesn't matter since we never seen to pull out offensive lineman anymore despite that being their biggest strength. Well see but I'm not confident

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I don't know how much they can improve in only 4 months. It's not like they had a year to redshirt and out oline sucked last year. I don't see much changing other than mentally getting sharper and a new coach getting better

But Zabel actually looked like he should have been starting. Volson didn't have a breakout year. Mauch looked like a backup. Sundell snapped over the QBs head regularly and was bullied in the trenches

Doesn't matter since we never seen to pull out offensive lineman anymore despite that being their biggest strength. Well see but I'm not confident
    It was bullshit spring football. I didnt really expect anything different with losing players etc etc etc.

Players dont develop over a 4 month period? They sure have in the past.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't think they were as bad as your making them out to be. Ultimately they weren't healthy which doomed them. Agree on Much. Don't get the love there. Seems the coaches like rewarding the older experienced guys with spots over the younger more talented players.

The O-line sucked??? The team averaged 5.1 yards per carry in the spring with no cupcakes to pad that number with and only allowed 8 sacks despite some very shaky QB play. It would've been nice to have more continuity in the lineup throughout the spring but the O-line still performed reasonably well despite all the shifting... they weren't the main problem (we all know what was).

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The O-line sucked??? The team averaged 5.1 yards per carry in the spring with no cupcakes to pad that number with and only allowed 8 sacks despite some very shaky QB play. It would've been nice to have more continuity in the lineup throughout the spring but the O-line still performed reasonably well despite all the shifting... they weren't the main problem (we all know what was).
    I agree. Plus we added San Diego transfer Luke LaCilento to a group that has a lot of experience. I think there will be lot of competition. Not sure or ther then maybe Volson and Jensen are sure starters. Mauch maybe has a leg up on the LT position since he played there last year, but Miller and Rock both got experience in the playoffs. I do think Sundell will improve but wouldn't be surprised if Zabel or LaCilento get a look there.

Now look at the passing stats. We couldn't pass block worth a shit. 7 TDs. 9 picks.

Also those stats include Central Arkansas where we ran the ball 47 times and 6.0 ypc so it's probably a tad high. Conference play we averaged 4.8

2019 Conference was 6.6

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Now look at the passing stats. We couldn't pass block worth a shit. 7 TDs. 9 picks.

Also those stats include Central Arkansas where we ran the ball 47 times and 6.0 ypc so it's probably a tad high. Conference play we averaged 4.8

2019 Conference was 6.6
    I think you can relate both of those stats to quarterback play. Noland and Miller were not threats on the ground and threw the ball to the other team. Even when they had time in the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by tolnabison View Post
    I think you can relate both of those stats to quarterback play. Noland and Miller were not threats on the ground and threw the ball to the other team. Even when they had time in the pocket.
    Zeb couldn't even move in the pocket. It was bad.

2019 Conference was 6.6
    Pass blocking was just fine. You don't give up 8 sacks on the season with a statue like Noland back there the majority of the season unless you're doing ok pass blocking. They had some lapses but they also lost 2 NFL lineman and a all-conference caliber center in Schoening from that 2019 team so that was bound to happen. They 2019 offense was amazing... but I don't think the 2021 offense was that far behind at all positions except one. That one position was an important one though and it went from having a consensus All-American to a below average MVFC talent at it.