Page 970 of 1362 FirstFirst ... 47087092096096896997097197298010201070 ... LastLast
Results 9,691 to 9,700 of 13620

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    The auto bid goes to the champion of the highest rated G5 "conference.". It doesn't go to the highest individual rated G5 champion unless said school is the champion of the highest rated conference as a whole..

Here is what I found on the google machine:

"The 12-team format will feature, in order, the top four conference champions, followed by some combination of the top six at-large bids and two highest-ranked remaining conference champions. Teams will be ordered based on the College Football Playoff rankings.

That guarantees at least one "Group of 5" team will make the Playoff each year and, while it's unlikely, allows the possibility of more than one G5 team making the Playoff in lieu of a "Power 5" team."

Based on what this says, one of the two spots goes to one of the two highest rated remaining conference champions. This does not say that it's the champion of the highest rated conference. It says the highest ranked remaining conference champion.

So for example, Team A could be a champion in the 2nd highest rated G5 conference. As long as they were the highest rated team to win their respective conference, they would go.

That is a pretty thin thread to hang onto.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    He's right. Congrats you're the bridesmaid here's your 40 point ass kicking.

But the odds of NDSU ever being 12? .0001ish
    NDSU, like every other G5, would need to rely on whatever conference you are in to be the highest rated..That changes your odds considerably..
    Is it the highest rated conference's champion or the highest rated conference champion?

That changes the math considerably.

Western Michigan has been in a NY6 bowl. People should also remember the G5's best positioned to be consistently good are going P5. Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, and UCF.

The G5 conferences took a hard kick to the dick with those teams leaving, even though BYU was indy, they played a lot of G5 games.

I think anyone suggesting "oh its gonna be impossible for (insert respectable non-P5 program) to make it in!" is sorta sandbagging.

It's gonna be an uphill battle. Anyone moving up with the expectation of being a regular playoff team should have their head examined. But lets say School A is in the MAC.

School A has wins over a decent P5 (Minnesota?), a couple ok G5's, and a bad G5. They also went undefeated in the conference.. They are sitting at 12-0. That team has a very good shot at the playoff.

College football rewards G5's for winning. Always has, always will. "BUT BYESONBUSINESS, DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO GO UNDEFEATED?!" Yes. I'm from Jamestown. I get how hard winning is. fortunately.....ITS HARD FOR THE OTHER TEAMS TOO.

End of the day, if you have a conference championship quality team, you have a pretty decent shot at the playoff if you do well in non-conference games. Don't even need to go undefeated probably!

Could easily see an NDSU type team make a legit run at it every few years if the hypo transition is successful. Maybe make it every 10 years. Sounds good to me.

Also...yes. you probably get rocked. But thats how life goes. You get to play a meaningful game against one of the best teams in college football. That sounds like a lot of fun.
    College of Business Alumnus

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    Just as my high school math teacher would say.... Please show your work.

I'll show mine... Currently there is about 65 G5 teams. One of them will be put into the CFP starting in 2024.

So by definition, the odds can not be any worse than 1/65 (or 1.5%). Now, of those teams, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that NDSU would be at least in the top half in terms of on-field performance. So, that would make it 1/33 (or around 3%).

Still not high odds however much better than what the daycare provider thinks.
    How have the 1 v 4 matchups gone the past few years? Let's say Alabama plays Tulane this year in a 5 v 12. Game over in a heartbeat.

You can math all you want but reality is the real bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Yea so if Mountain West in 2026 is the HIGHEST RATED G5 CONFERENCE

and the MWC Championship is NDSU vs Boise State then we have a 50% chance of being that 1 CFP G5 Representative.

So ^^^^ THAT GAME would be the biggest in NDSU football history.

Win that and the #12 vs #5 seed ( TCU this year or Kansas State) would be the Biggest game in NDSU Football history.

GIMME THAT CHANCE plus 3 Huge OOC games in BIG TIME stadiums with a great conference schedule of Boise, Colo St, Wyoming, Air Force, Fresno ???

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH its a NO BRAINER!!
    How's that gonna work when Boise ain't in the conference. Strength of conference takes a massive hit and MWC and sitting there anyway. But keep jerking it and dreaming.

The winner of the highest rated conference doesn't even have to be the best team in that conference. There are upsets in conference championship games from time to time. It isn't just 30 teams in the hunt every year..

Wanting a potential chance at a CFP slot is a worthy goal but you probably should have a bunch of other goals as well to move to FBS.
    No man...don't you know....NDSU is raking in every recruit in the upper midwest. Game over.

No man...don't you know....NDSU is raking in every recruit in the upper midwest. Game over.
    I'm not sure what your issue is. You have said that the FCS is dead (which I agree with you on). Why get worried then if NDSU were to get to the CFP and get throttled? At least they had a chance. Right now we play for shits and giggles with no benefit to winning or losing. Most of our season is against underfunded teams. I'd personally take our lumps and get throttled if we were to make it to the CFP than pretend to be a big shot when we really are not.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    I'm not sure what your issue is. You have said that the FCS is dead (which I agree with you on). Why get worried then if NDSU were to get to the CFP and get throttled? At least they had a chance. Right now we play for shits and giggles with no benefit to winning or losing. Most of our season is against underfunded teams. I'd personally take our lumps and get throttled if we were to make it to the CFP than pretend to be a big shot when we really are not.
    I don't have an issue, and I'm not "worried" about shit. As I stated earlier NDSU is in a shitty spot. FCS is dead. G5 football isn't much better. And NDSU's geography is dick for FBS and they have no peers that wanna go with. Go FBS I seriously don't give a rats ass but the made up bullshit about making the 12 or 20K to an ass bowl game is just ridiculous at this point.

How have the 1 v 4 matchups gone the past few years? Let's say Alabama plays Tulane this year in a 5 v 12. Game over in a heartbeat.

You can math all you want but reality is the real bitch.
    The 1 v 4 has been spoiled because the top kids have been funneled to a very small number of schools. With legalized NIL, and an expanded playoff, about two dozen more schools became more desirable. (Thats called watering down
    College of Business Alumnus

There would also be the challenge for getting good out of conference games that would move NDSU up in the polls if they managed to win those games.
    It's OK to not be OK.