Page 12 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422621125121012 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Answer Guy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    So tell me again why Wapeton and the Grand Spoons schools had to change their mascots, explaining in the the same sentence or post how double-standards and PC are not involved--I'm listening
    CaS = Closet Sioux

What's the A stand for?
    Teh Interwebs – a place you can say stuff.

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    What I don't understand is that neither Standing Rock members or any other "Sioux" indian own the effin term, name or whatever people want to call it. Hell there are businesses named Sioux Electric, Sioux Plumbing, Sioux Mfr., etc., but no on complains or bitches about that. In fact many are owned by Sioux indians. I just don't get the politically correct, double-standards thing at all. And now, the ND legislature is contemplating a bill to study why indian students aren't graduating at a higher rate than 57% and to throw money at the situation depending on the study results. I bet the indians balk at any monetary support from the ND legislature--YA, RIGHT!!! Whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!on all this PC bullshit.
    My favorite is that the NCAA is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. "Indian City in the land of Indians".

Quote Originally Posted by Answer Guy View Post
    CaS = Closet Sioux

What's the A stand for?
    Closet Asshole Sioux--guess I fit right in!!!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    I think most will see it this way...I hope anyways.
    Ever watched Jay walking with Leno? Or heard about the knowledge of the average voter? Not arguing with your take, but the average voter is simply not very knowledgable and, I would think, it is worse for state office than federal.

Name recognition is the name of the game, my friend and Carlson is doing a great job of getting his 15 minutes......

I loved the movie, the "Distinguished Gentleman." I think there was more truth in the premise of that movie than many of use would like to admit.

By Socalled:
    I loved the movie, the "Distinguished Gentleman." I think there was more truth in the premise of that movie than many of use would like to admit.
    Has this thread caused you to begin "talking" Canadien, or have you always "talked" that way???!!!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    The "nickname uber alles" folks will ALWAYS reject any vote or decision that they don't agree with. That's their only guiding principle.
    Tony, agree with your premise, but I would also say the reverse is also true and I am officially invoking the fairness in conversation act.

The settlement is clearly written in such a way to make it almost insurmountable as the pressure on the council to reject it (via the vocal minority) would be too great to overcome. (You argument that they have to have final say, however, is well taken.) Thus, I like the referrendum as it makes it very hard to ignore (the council) and I doubt it will be 60/40. (See Spirit Lake). Even then, they can ignore the will of the people as you point out. The ND state constitution has referendums and voter initiated measures for a reason to assure the legislature is responsive to the will of the majority. It is one of the best things in living in ND and was widely the reason taxes have stayed low. I am a strong believer in that part of populism and the need, at time, for direct democracy. It is a real same the tribe constitutions must not be configured in the same way.

Again, this is all moot since the agreement was signed.....time to end this.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Wow, is all I can say. This story has more twists and turns than TAB scaming members of the H0ly 0rder.....

GRAFTONBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    It was just a matter of time

It some prior point this may have been about PC this or that but at this point all it's really about is how far a few legislators are willing to go in a futile attempt to break a legally binding agreement between the NCAA and UND, the SBoHE, and the State of North Dakota.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie