PDA

View Full Version : NDSU to the FBS

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

SkolMitzel
12-02-2020, 09:23 PM
After seeing the recent success of Coastal Carolina and Liberty is it time for NDSU to finally make the move?

https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/1334158353967304708?s=20

EC8CH
12-02-2020, 09:26 PM
After seeing the recent success of Coastal Carolina and Liberty is it time for NDSU to finally make the move?

In before someone complains about another FBS thread...

I guess Izzo is drinking the Lakes koolaid now though so there's that.

Hammerhead
12-02-2020, 09:36 PM

Come back here if either of those teams get serious consideration for the playoffs or whatever they are called now.

Bison 4 Life
12-02-2020, 10:02 PM
Come back here if either of those teams get serious consideration for the playoffs or whatever they are called now.

This is only possible in 2020.

CalBison97
12-03-2020, 12:04 AM
After seeing how FCS is/was treated this year and seeing how these 2 teams plus others we “owned” at that level ranked in the FBS, I have pulled a Dom and flipped. Dream scenario would have Nebraska going back to Big 12 with NDSU taking that spot. Emphasis on dream.

Bison03
12-03-2020, 12:55 AM
How many damn times do we have to go through this?!! Do people not understand? Without a conference invite, moving up is not possible!! Is that too hard to understand? The only conferences near us are the Big 10, Big 12, and the Mountain West. None of those conferences are going to invite NDSU. Ever. Location and media market size are what prevents this. If/when the p5 breaks off, then we can have a legitimate discussion as realignment among the remaining FBS and FCS will occur. Until then, there is nothing to talk about. Just declaring you are going FBS doesn't make conferences want to extend an offer. Its kind of like stating “I’m single and available” and then hoping Margot Robbie calls you up!!!

56BISON73
12-03-2020, 12:57 AM
How many damn times do we have to go through this?!! Do people not understand? Without a conference invite, moving up is not possible!! Is that too hard to understand? The only conferences near us are the Big 10, Big 12, and the Mountain West. None of those conferences are going to invite NDSU. Ever. Location and media market size are what prevents this. If/when the p5 breaks off, then we can have a legitimate discussion as realignment among the remaining FBS and FCS will occur. Until then, there is nothing to talk about. Just declaring you are going FBS doesn't make conferences want to extend an offer. Its kind of like stating “I’m single and available” and then hoping Margot Robbie calls you up!!!

:judges::howdy:

El_Chapo
12-03-2020, 01:35 AM
I have a FBS thread.

3074 replies

All your answers are in it.. NDSU should've been in FBS in 2013 (even turned down the MAC then supposedly)

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?33988-A-new-and-better-FBS-thread&highlight=thread

and YES NDSU NEEDS AN INVITE SO WHAT THE HELL ARE MATT LARSON AND DEAN B DOING?

Matt Entz and the coaches WANT TO BE IN THE FBS! its a shame that Matt doesn't want to take the risk and Dean B is about 2-3 years from Retirement.

GO SOLICIT AN INVITE TO THE MOUNTAIN WEST ALREADY!!

WeAreThePride
12-03-2020, 01:42 AM
I have a FBS thread.

3074 replies

All your answers are in it.. NDSU should've been in FBS in 2013 (even turned down the MAC then supposedly)

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?33988-A-new-and-better-FBS-thread&highlight=thread

Matt Entz and the coaches WANT TO BE IN THE FBS! its a shame that Matt doesn't want to take the risk and Dean B is about 2-3 years from Retirement.

NDSU never turned down an offer from the MAC. You are fake news.

El_Chapo
12-03-2020, 01:45 AM
NDSU never turned down an offer from the MAC. You are fake news.

I have 2 solid sources that MAC & NDSU talked back in 2013, Its pissed me off to hear that NDSU poo poo'ed it. But honestly I am 100% all in on Mountain West or AAConference so I'm not heartbroken that we aren't in the MAC

56BISON73
12-03-2020, 01:48 AM
I have a FBS thread.

3074 replies

I have asked you this repeatedly but you never answer-----------What do you expect NDSU to do when nobody want us in their conference? And dont say you need to sell NDSU or ML needs to call. Again----when no conferences offer you to join them---what is NDSU supposed to do?????

56BISON73
12-03-2020, 01:49 AM
I have 2 solid sources that MAC & NDSU talked back in 2013, Its pissed me off to hear that NDSU poo poo'ed it. But honestly I am 100% all in on Mountain West or AAConference so I'm not heartbroken that we aren't in the MAC

Talking and offers are two different animals. With NDSU contacting the MAC Im sure they were the ones who poo pooed it. But I seriously doubt you have 2 credible sources who would tell you anything.

WeAreThePride
12-03-2020, 01:56 AM

No you don't.

GFBison
12-03-2020, 02:00 AM
I have asked you this repeatedly but you never answer-----------What do you expect NDSU to do when nobody want us in their conference? And dont say you need to sell NDSU or ML needs to call. Again----when no conferences offer you to join them---what is NDSU supposed to do?????

Can't they be like Milton in Office Space and just show up every Saturday?
https://media1.giphy.com/media/11CZgTwa28f6vu/200w.gif?cid=ecf05e47law3l7g6ttr87nyxi1lzcms6n5ueo 90ghnvusl2q&rid=200w.gif

bisonforever
12-03-2020, 02:31 AM
^^^^^^^This! Unless you want us to be an independent. Stop the nonsense!

Bison03
12-03-2020, 02:33 AM
First, I call bullshit on the MAC invite. Second, how excited would you be about Wednesday night games and road games with 0 fans.

El_Chapo
12-03-2020, 02:33 AM
no one is gonna OFFER NDSU because THEY DON'T SEE NDSU ADMIN PUBLICALLY PUSHING FOR ONE!

its quite simple

MAC invite wasn't public, it was behind the scenes. focus on the Mountain West or AAC people. FOCUS!!

bisonforever
12-03-2020, 02:34 AM
Sorry, ^^^^^^ this! Unless you want to be an independent! Stop the nonsense. However, there is an increased sense in the athletic dept that after this COVID thing there is an increased urgency to move up if/when possible.

And there has never been a MAC invite!

56BISON73
12-03-2020, 02:35 AM
no one is gonna OFFER NDSU because THEY DON'T SEE NDSU ADMIN PUBLICALLY PUSHING FOR ONE!

its quite simple

MAC invite wasn't public, it was behind the scenes. focus on the Mountain West or AAC people. FOCUS!!

Bullshit.....

bisonaudit
12-03-2020, 02:49 AM
What we need is a real estate swap with Liberty.

NDSU92
12-03-2020, 02:52 AM
Bullshit.....

If the school wanted to go FBS, they would say so. I wish they would, as I want them to be FBS.

That being said, NDSU acting desperate for an invite will never result in us getting one. It’s like the crazy stalker trying to punch above their weight with some girl they have no business pursuing. That’s a UND move...

El_Chapo
12-03-2020, 04:22 AM
Coaches want FBS bad

Matt doesn't cuz he doesn't want to blemish his record
Dean doesn't cuz he is retiring.

NDSU deserves to be FBS. that's all there is to it! bison fatigue is here, time to SOLICIT and go after a Mountain West or AAC invite. Period. End of Story (Because they HAVENT EVEN PICKED UP THE PHONE)

MankatoBison
12-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Yes- thought about it and yes is the answer now. Wasnt 2 years ago. It is now

MankatoBison
12-03-2020, 01:55 PM
If the school wanted to go FBS, they would say so. I wish they would, as I want them to be FBS.

That being said, NDSU acting desperate for an invite will never result in us getting one. It’s like the crazy stalker trying to punch above their weight with some girl they have no business pursuing. That’s a UND move...

What? Lol do you really think that average teams in MAC, AAC, and MWC are "punching above NDSU's weight"?
Thats a joke right?

FBS may or may not be a good decision but pretending that the MAC, or MWC are just lightyears ahead of NDSU in any meaningful way is a fantasy

El_Chapo
12-03-2020, 02:30 PM
Coastal Carolina #18 ranked is gettin Gameday and NOW PLAYING #13 BYU cuz liberty had to back out

wow NDSU fans would be in a frenzy if that was us. that trumps 8 Frisco trips

NDSUBowler
12-03-2020, 02:57 PM
Coastal Carolina #18 ranked is gettin Gameday and NOW PLAYING #13 BYU cuz liberty had to back out

wow NDSU fans would be in a frenzy if that was us. that trumps 8 Frisco trips

No it doesn't

NDSU92
12-03-2020, 03:07 PM
What? Lol do you really think that average teams in MAC, AAC, and MWC are "punching above NDSU's weight"?
Thats a joke right?

FBS may or may not be a good decision but pretending that the MAC, or MWC are just lightyears ahead of NDSU in any meaningful way is a fantasy

You do understand there are more things in play than the quality of the school’s football team right?

Professorbum
12-03-2020, 03:13 PM

I don't think being public about a desire to go FBS has to come across as desperate or needy or begging. Just let the sports world know that we'd like to go FBS. We say, "FBS won't schedule us, FCS is generally underperforming, and we'd like to be FBS." That would put to bed all the external critics that say to NDSU, "if you want to play FBS teams or think you're as good as them day in and day out, then you need to make the jump." Fine. We'd like to make the jump. Then you start seeing some interest in the prospect of it all at the general sports fan level. It gets some play on ESPN. Commentators start asking when is someone going to invite this very worthy team that wants to compete, but against whom no one is willing to compete. The idea gets momentum. Informal conversations take place, followed by discrete airport meetings, and bingo...we're in the Mountain West. This is precisely how it would unfold if NDSU leadership, first, decided that they want to go FBS, and second, would publicly say so.

TAILG8R
12-03-2020, 03:25 PM
You do understand there are more things in play than the quality of the school’s football team right?

It has always been extremely obvious he doesn't.

TAILG8R
12-03-2020, 03:28 PM
I don't think being public about a desire to go FBS has to come across as desperate or needy or begging. Just let the sports world know that we'd like to go FBS. We say, "FBS won't schedule us, FCS is generally underperforming, and we'd like to be FBS." That would put to bed all the external critics that say to NDSU, "if you want to play FBS teams or think you're as good as them day in and day out, then you need to make the jump." Fine. We'd like to make the jump. Then you start seeing some interest in the prospect of it all at the general sports fan level. It gets some play on ESPN. Commentators start asking when is someone going to invite this very worthy team that wants to compete, but against whom no one is willing to compete. The idea gets momentum. Informal conversations take place, followed by discrete airport meetings, and bingo...we're in the Mountain West. This is precisely how it would unfold if NDSU leadership, first, decided that they want to go FBS, and second, would publicly say so.

You left out one thing ... the bullet train.

El_Chapo
12-03-2020, 03:46 PM

this should've happened in 2012, 2013 FFS>..

NDSU92
12-03-2020, 03:53 PM

Yes, I completely agree. My comment about being desperate is that there are schools that go about it the right way and schools that don’t. I believe Liberty and Old Dominion come to mind.

DM05
12-03-2020, 04:22 PM

its quite simple

Everyone knows this is exactly how it works......like when Rutgers got invited to the Big Ten; all you saw on Sportscenter for months, if not years, was Rutgers administration holding press conferences, doing interviews, and pushing hard to let everyone know that they wanted an invite. I can't count how many times I saw this happen......

.......maybe because it didn't happen.

JohnnyExtacy
12-03-2020, 04:33 PM
i haven't read this thread, but are there still fans here that say NDSU should stay in FCS?

You don't have to look past the fact that the Championship game hasn't seen 20.000+ fans since 2016 to know the whole Frisco appeal is wearing off. ANd for the competitive fans who want to see good football games, it's literally the only game worth watching. Preseason games are boring as hell. The SOuth Dakota State game is the only one interesting during the conference, and the playoff games are over by halftime leading up the Championship. Then we get to watch them play some team 90% of college football fans around the country never even heard of.

daddy daycare
12-03-2020, 05:03 PM
i haven't read this thread, but are there still fans here that say NDSU should stay in FCS?

You don't have to look past the fact that the Championship game hasn't seen 20.000+ fans since 2016 to know the whole Frisco appeal is wearing off. ANd for the competitive fans who want to see good football games, it's literally the only game worth watching. Preseason games are boring as hell. The SOuth Dakota State game is the only one interesting during the conference, and the playoff games are over by halftime leading up the Championship. Then we get to watch them play some team 90% of college football fans around the country never even heard of.

That's fantastic. 8 years of let's go FBS talk and I've never seen a solution that actually makes sense. You can't just yell about it as loud as possible and make the money start flowing in. Money and Geography are some massive hurdles to overcome.

MankatoBison
12-03-2020, 05:14 PM
Apparently alot of guys here just had girls who had never talked to them before in their entire lives randomly walk up to them and ask them to get married and did. Because That is the way yall are claiming how starting a relationship works.

No conversations, no outward signals given, no indications whatsoever that you are interested in anything different than what you have (nothing).

Obviously, if you want to make a change you make it known. If youre in a relationship- your off the market. reasonable people wont ask you on dates until you indicate otherwise. This isnt controversial- this is literally how human relationships have worked since the beginning of time

Yall must have terrible relationships lol

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-03-2020, 05:19 PM
So Dom is on the FBS wagon now? I looked for that podcast but it appears the forum took it down. Were people offended or something????

Anyone have a working link for it??

Play-by-play from Coastal just pegged the Bison as an immediate FBS success on the Insiders

MankatoBison
12-03-2020, 05:22 PM
That's fantastic. 8 years of let's go FBS talk and I've never seen a solution that actually makes sense. You can't just yell about it as loud as possible and make the money start flowing in. Money and Geography are some massive hurdles to overcome.

The money is "literally" flowing in more than half of G5 teams. More merch sales , donations, ticket sales, sponsorships. All except tv revenue and bowl revenue- which would- see if you can follow me here- come to us if we were in an FBS conference.

Geography is a big hurdle- although not nearly a big of a hurdle than its made out to be. a 2hr 45 min plane ride is not exponentially more expensive than a 3hr 15 minute plane ride.

Money is a hurdle for sure. But it seems that the naysayers believe that we will magically receive 0% of the built in financial benefits of FBS while incurring 100% of the added costs. in reality the costs, especially for a football only membership of a conference are negligible when compared to the leap needed to go FCS in the first place.

All of these critiques become exponentially bigger if the question is "should we go independent FBS?". Everything becomes waaay harder then. A conference invite is obviously ideal, and a football only membership would be even better if you wanted to jump

Karen
12-03-2020, 05:26 PM

:judges::howdy:

Puds are going to pud.

Gully
12-03-2020, 05:36 PM
So Dom is on the FBS wagon now? I looked for that podcast but it appears the forum took it down. Were people offended or something????

Play-by-play from Coastal just pegged the Bison as an immediate FBS success on the Insiders

I saw the tweets yesterday and so I went looking for some video or article today about it and couldn't find it either....seems odd.

Rock
12-03-2020, 06:32 PM
Apparently alot of guys here just had girls who had never talked to them before in their entire lives randomly walk up to them and ask them to get married and did. Because That is the way yall are claiming how starting a relationship works.

No conversations, no outward signals given, no indications whatsoever that you are interested in anything different than what you have (nothing).

Obviously, if you want to make a change you make it known. If youre in a relationship- your off the market. reasonable people wont ask you on dates until you indicate otherwise. This isnt controversial- this is literally how human relationships have worked since the beginning of time

LOL at getting married.

I am big on not begging side. If i was doing i wouldnt call anybody. Would go to the big events where all the conference presidents are there. move from president to president.

“Hey what kinda crazy shit are you guys up to tonight? Oh yeah, thats cool. Really? Why did you do it that way? Yeah i like that kinda shit too.”

Laugh/smile look them in the eye. Touch them, maybe on wrist- see if the pull away or lean in.

“Hey i gotta get going. Oh me? Im partying in my room with some people- you seem cool, you are welcome to join, just shoot me a text and i will let you know if its a good party. Oh you need my number sure- want me to text it to you?” Do it, then leave immediately.

Move to each conference president (yes all of them, maybe we like something about the ugly conferences?). Be mysterious. repeat, never look back.

Have Nike host a Bitchin’ party for us all later- Be cool. Talk about their best teams. What do they like. When time is right lean in on the big 12 and say- “hey you wanna get out of here and go someplace quiet?”

Play that out for a few years- no commitments, let them start begging because they know ndsu has value and is on the market for everyone. Get a bunch of games with their conference members, home and away. let them show ndsu they love them. Be stern with them- i like you, i like that, but I don’t like that, don’t do that.

Bisonator98
12-03-2020, 06:37 PM
I'm all for going independent at this point. We can schedule H/H with the other indy's and I'm sure a few other schools would be willing to come to Fargo if we were FBS. We can keep the rest of our sports in the Summit for now. We would need a plan for a future stadium but the FD would be OK for awhile. We would need to increase our FB budget but I don't think it's that big a leap at the moment. And if we are not going to increase any of our other sports budgets(besides the title IX implecations) what's the point of increasing our revenue and donations? Do we just want to win 18 out of the next 20 FCS championships?? This division is going the way of D2. It's actually always been D2 but it's only going to get worse.

ByeSonBusiness
12-03-2020, 07:02 PM

Moving up is possible without a conference. Liberty did it. Is it wise to do so without a huge sum of money and a good location like Liberty? Absolutely not. But it CAN be done if NDSU wants to do it.

Hammersmith
12-03-2020, 07:14 PM
Moving up is possible without a conference. Liberty did it. Is it wise to do so without a huge sum of money and a good location like Liberty? Absolutely not. But it CAN be done if NDSU wants to do it.

Arguable. Liberty was able to force the NCAA's hand by effectively claiming religious discrimination. Not an option in NDSU's case. Not saying a waiver is impossible, just that Liberty's argument for one would not work for NDSU. NDSU's case would have to be something like geographic discrimination. Would that work? No f-ing clue.

ByeSonBusiness
12-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Arguable. Liberty was able to force the NCAA's hand by effectively claiming religious discrimination. Not an option in NDSU's case. Not saying a waiver is impossible, just that Liberty's argument for one would not work for NDSU. NDSU's case would have to be something like geographic discrimination. Would that work? No f-ing clue.

Ahhh i never examined how liberty made it happen. Religious discrimination.. yeah nobody wants to have to be on the defending side of that.

El_Chapo
12-03-2020, 07:40 PM

He was downright GIDDY about his answer saying "absolutely they have success Day 1"

El_Chapo
12-03-2020, 07:45 PM
Puds are going to pud.

the "Hoople Association"

TAILG8R
12-03-2020, 07:58 PM

Is it this one at about 27:30?
https://www.inforum.com/sports/6783482-Hot-Mic-with-Dom-Izzo-12120-Chris-Coste-Mike-McFeely-Eli-Green

NDSU92
12-03-2020, 08:24 PM

Arguing with people who agree with you is a special talent

OrygunBison
12-03-2020, 08:26 PM
Ahhh i never examined how liberty made it happen. Religious discrimination.. yeah nobody wants to have to be on the defending side of that.

Sounds like Reverend Bob needs to make a few appearances...

JohnnyExtacy
12-03-2020, 08:46 PM

So basically you're saying NDSU is stuck in Division 2?

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-03-2020, 08:53 PM
Is it this one at about 27:30?
https://www.inforum.com/sports/6783482-Hot-Mic-with-Dom-Izzo-12120-Chris-Coste-Mike-McFeely-Eli-Green

Yeah must be. Thanks

It’s MM who says it not Dom, unless I missed it, but I never thought I’d hear that either, so …

I may be coming back around on this. Problem with the MWC is that there aren't enough schools on the Front Range. If you had a few more (Griz, Bobcats, Jacks?) the travel might not be so bad. FB only might work. Bunnies look really good in hoops this year, FWIW, but I think the Bison will be right there at the end too.

I also worry a bit about the G5 funding model. There must be a reason the Shockers bailed. If the Bison jump alone, I still think FB only to the AAC is the most attractive, simply from a travel and time-zone perspective. It’s a long shot and would require state-level cooperation and support (hah hah hah, how likely is that now anyways?) but whatever…

Anyone know the history of all the FBS independents over the years?

I agree with Culhane – No point really getting into it until the IPF is built

Herd
12-03-2020, 09:06 PM
I'm not on board with being an FBS Independent until someone shows me rejection letters from each of the following conferences.

MWC
SBC
MAC
CUSA
AAC

That box completely needs to be checked before any Independent crazy talk happens. I'm not aware of any conversations with FBS conferences . . . so why would you talking Independent status as a starting point? Makes no sense. Make no assumptions, talk to conferences, period. If no-one is willing to take you, then I'd consider it. Or if the MWC requires 5 years in the FBS and would then be willing to talk, then you could explore it.

Hammersmith
12-03-2020, 09:38 PM
<steps on soapbox>

I love how short-sighted several posters are on here. Wait, not love. What's the opposite of love? Yeah, that.

I want NDSU to be contacting all FBS conferences to see if there's any possibility of interest on their part. I also want to NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER hear about it!

NDSU is a core member of both the Summit and MVFC. And the Summit isn't exactly the most historically stable of conferences. What happens if it becomes known that NDSU is shopping for an upgrade? Do you think that news might just cause current members to dust off their plans to leave? Do you think it just might make finding quality new members a whole lot more difficult if WIU or someone else chooses to leave? What happens if the news that NDSU is out looking starts to destabilize one or both conferences and then NDSU DOESN'T manage to find an FBS home? We'd be stuck in a conference that's falling apart due to our own actions.

If NDSU has been talking to the MAC/MWC/SB/etc.(and I bet they have), those talks need to stay more secret than our nuclear launch codes. No matter what kind of inflated, false, self-importance you give yourself(coughSamcoughOtherscough), YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW!

<steps off soapbox>

ByeSonBusiness
12-03-2020, 09:44 PM
<steps on soapbox>

I love how short-sighted several posters are on here. Wait, not love. What's the opposite of love? Yeah, that.

I want NDSU to be contacting all FBS conferences to see if there's any possibility of interest on their part. I also want to NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER hear about it!

NDSU is a core member of both the Summit and MVFC. And the Summit isn't exactly the most historically stable of conferences. What happens if it becomes known that NDSU is shopping for an upgrade? Do you think that news might just cause current members to dust off their plans to leave? Do you think it just might make finding quality new members a whole lot more difficult if WIU or someone else chooses to leave? What happens if the news that NDSU is out looking starts to destabilize one or both conferences and then NDSU DOESN'T manage to find an FBS home? We'd be stuck in a conference that's falling apart due to our own actions.

If NDSU has been talking to the MAC/MWC/SB/etc.(and I bet they have), those talks need to stay more secret than our nuclear launch codes. No matter what kind of inflated, false, self-importance you give yourself(coughSamcoughOtherscough), YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW!

<steps off soapbox>

Well thats just like......your opinion man

;)

ThunderDan
12-03-2020, 09:47 PM

Have you heard of a college called Hawaii?
The geography could not be worse. And the financials are even worse than the geography....
The operate at a 2 million dollar + loss.

I think we could do better.

El_Chapo
12-03-2020, 10:14 PM
<steps on soapbox>

<steps off soapbox>

Hammer I respect some of that & i got no qualms with you so I wont dox you like (coughyoudidcough) :) However. at some point We need to step back and see JUST HOW MUCH NDSU SUBSIDIZES these schools in mvfc/summit. financially and marketing/exposure wise.

NDSU IS COMING TO TOWN, YOU BETTER GET TICKETS TO THIS!! Not to mention all the fanfare, exposure they get for that week because of NDSU.

Now , the PRO-FBS talking point that I'm the chairman of says.... NDSU ADMIN HAS NOT BEEN TALKING TO THEM... and that's a cop out when someone says either A) we shouldn't beg or B) if we expose our intentions it hurts our current conference or C) we don't have the money.

Herd
12-03-2020, 10:30 PM
<steps on soapbox>

<steps off soapbox>

I personally do not need to see those 5 letters, but Matt Larson damn well better be holding all 5 in hand before he even thinks about being an FBS Independent. I don't know if discussions have been initiated, but I'd bet on the NO side of that one.

El_Chapo
12-03-2020, 10:38 PM
I personally do not need to see those 5 letters, but Matt Larson damn well better be holding all 5 in hand before he even thinks about being an FBS Independent. I don't know if discussions have been initiated, but I'd bet on the NO side of that one.

even I don't WANT to be a FBS independent (unless we can't get a mountain west or aac invite... then I say Football only---F it!)

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-03-2020, 10:44 PM
Independent would only make sense as a way to make geography a positive instead of a negative

On another note, the recommendation is that G5 FB split away too (not just P5)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30444422/knight-commission-endorses-fbs-split-ncaa

Herd
12-03-2020, 10:47 PM
even I don't WANT to be a FBS independent (unless we can't get a mountain west or aac invite... then I say Football only---F it!)

If you want to raise the overall profile of your university, and the MWC wanted you. . . I sure the heck wouldn't want a football only deal. Just think of the opportunity you'd be throwing away if it was football only.

Yes, maybe your right about a SBC or MAC deal, football only might be the best bet.

El_Chapo
12-03-2020, 10:55 PM
NO i'm saying i WANT an All Sports invite to MWC or AAC... and if NDSU can't get that ,,, then I'm all for Independent football only.

Screw that "travel" bullcrap excuse. NDSU flies to IPFW, WIU, Youngstown Misery State the last 10 years on a 2 hour chartered plane flight.
how much more is a 3 hour chartered plane flight to MWC schools? not much.

ByeSonBusiness
12-03-2020, 11:08 PM
Hammer I respect some of that & i got no qualms with you so I wont dox you like (coughyoudidcough) :) However. at some point We need to step back and see JUST HOW MUCH NDSU SUBSIDIZES these schools in mvfc/summit. financially and marketing/exposure wise.

NDSU IS COMING TO TOWN, YOU BETTER GET TICKETS TO THIS!! Not to mention all the fanfare, exposure they get for that week because of NDSU.

Now , the PRO-FBS talking point that I'm the chairman of says.... NDSU ADMIN HAS NOT BEEN TALKING TO THEM... and that's a cop out when someone says either A) we shouldn't beg or B) if we expose our intentions it hurts our current conference or C) we don't have the money.

I dont think the idea of NDSU coming to town is going to be the big seller you think it is to those conferences.

Bisonator98
12-03-2020, 11:13 PM
NDSU isn't getting an all sports invite from any existing FBS conference. There just isn't a good fit for them or NDSU for that matter. I also think everyone knows NDSU would jump at a FB only invite from the MAC or MWC so it's not like there's some big secret they are trying to keep under wraps. Being an independent would be better then every other FBS conference option outside of the B1G or B12 which are a pipe dream.

WeAreThePride
12-03-2020, 11:29 PM
NDSU isn't getting an all sports invite from any existing FBS conference. There just isn't a good fit for them or NDSU for that matter. I also think everyone knows NDSU would jump at a FB only invite from the MAC or MWC so it's not like there's some big secret they are trying to keep under wraps. Being an independent would be better then every other FBS conference option outside of the B1G or B12 which are a pipe dream.

NDSU will never be in the Big 10. Ever. I would bet everything I own on that. We don't have the media market, stadium, or academic profile.

The B12 is an outside possibility, like way under 1%, and only if they undergo massive restructuring and migrate north with teams like Toledo and Cincinatti after Texas and Oklahoma leave them behind.

OrygunBison
12-03-2020, 11:31 PM
If we go independent, it would be good to convince SDSU, JMU, and (maybe) the Montana schools to do the same. We'd need to have 4-6 regular Home-Away arrangements.

NDSU92
12-03-2020, 11:41 PM
If we go independent, it would be good to convince SDSU, JMU, and (maybe) the Montana schools to do the same. We'd need to have 4-6 regular Home-Away arrangements.

If that’s our only option at FBS, I’ll take a pass

Bisonator98
12-03-2020, 11:42 PM
NDSU will never be in the Big 10. Ever. I would bet everything I own on that. We don't have the media market, stadium, or academic profile.

The B12 is an outside possibility, like way under 1%, and only if they undergo massive restructuring and migrate north with teams like Toledo and Cincinatti after Texas and Oklahoma leave them behind.

What do you think pipe dream means?

Bisonator98
12-03-2020, 11:44 PM

That would be ideal for sure.

Bisonator98
12-03-2020, 11:45 PM

Yeah let's keep beating up on the misfits in FCS.....yay!

OrygunBison
12-03-2020, 11:46 PM

Really? Every year having 4 games against fellow FCS escapees, 4 games against current G5 teams, and 4 games against current P5 teams wouldn't do it for you?

NDSU92
12-03-2020, 11:47 PM
Yeah let's keep beating up on the misfits in FCS.....yay!

Move up to “FBS” to be independent with four other FCS schools and then just play them? Lol yeah I’m taking a pass on that

NDSU92
12-03-2020, 11:52 PM
Really? Every year having 4 games against fellow FCS escapees, 4 games against current G5 teams, and 4 games against current P5 teams wouldn't do it for you?

Yeah that’d be nice, although I definitely have my doubts that we’re going to find 8 FBS schools (with four P5) year in and year out.

Bisonator98
12-04-2020, 12:01 AM
Move up to “FBS” to be independent with four other FCS schools and then just play them? Lol yeah I’m taking a pass on that

You wouldn't "just play them" ffs, you'd have to fill a 12 game schedule.

WeAreThePride
12-04-2020, 12:01 AM
What do you think pipe dream means?

Where you dream about... like, pipes and stuff?

SoCalBison
12-04-2020, 01:25 AM
Laugh/smile look them in the eye. Touch them, maybe on wrist- see if the pull away or lean in.

I've actually been in some meetings with these folks. I've gotta say, touching another president on the wrist would be so weird, the invitation you might get would not be the invitation you think you're asking for.

reformedUNDfan
12-04-2020, 01:35 AM
Matt Larson should take a serious swing at the AAC for football only. They need a football-only school. NDSU is by far the best football-only school available.

Don't underestimate our market either, NDSU would have the highest market share of any team in the conference, and NDSU gets that in more than its MSA. The real market is about 1 million, about as saturated as any big school, in a rapidly growing area.

When the AAC looks around the country who does it see? Army, JMU, Villanova, Marshall, Toledo, Ohio, NIU, NDSU, Boise St, BYU, Airforce, UNM, Arkansas State, and App State.

Army, BYU, NDSU, and Villanova are the only ones that come without an all conference affiliation, although Villanova would probably only be wanted if it brought its basketball. I'm not sure if the AAC would want any of those programs as all sports members, and Boise is just too far away.

daddy daycare
12-04-2020, 09:46 PM
So basically you're saying NDSU is stuck in Division 2?

So you're calling the past decade of players Division 2?

daddy daycare
12-04-2020, 09:47 PM
Have you heard of a college called Hawaii?
The geography could not be worse. And the financials are even worse than the geography....
The operate at a 2 million dollar + loss.

I think we could do better.

You think the Bison fanbase would grow and the money would start rolling in just because? Good luck with that.

daddy daycare
12-04-2020, 09:49 PM

Do SDSU and UNI actually even sell out? No one else does those would be the only 2 that are even close.

daddy daycare
12-04-2020, 09:50 PM
I changed my mind. I'm all for it. Let's jump. Frees up my Saturdays.

southcliffbison
12-05-2020, 01:27 AM
Matt Larson should take a serious swing at the AAC for football only. They need a football-only school. NDSU is by far the best football-only school available.

Don't underestimate our market either, NDSU would have the highest market share of any team in the conference, and NDSU gets that in more than its MSA. The real market is about 1 million, about as saturated as any big school, in a rapidly growing area.

When the AAC looks around the country who does it see? Army, JMU, Villanova, Marshall, Toledo, Ohio, NIU, NDSU, Boise St, BYU, Airforce, UNM, Arkansas State, and App State.

Army, BYU, NDSU, and Villanova are the only ones that come without an all conference affiliation, although Villanova would probably only be wanted if it brought its basketball. I'm not sure if the AAC would want any of those programs as all sports members, and Boise is just too far away.

ML won't do anything to upset the apple cart (status quo) If he and Bresciani were in charge back in the day (2002/2003) , the Bison would still be in the NCC which would now have a scheduling agreement with the NSIC to cut down on travel expenses. How far away is Upper Iowa?

DePereBisonFan
12-05-2020, 02:49 AM

I actually don't mind this idea. Then a few years down the road we could create a G5 (6) conference.

Sun Bison
12-05-2020, 03:43 AM

We basically did this once before with the Great West.

56BISON73
12-05-2020, 03:58 AM
I actually don't mind this idea. Then a few years down the road we could create a G5 (6) conference.

I dont think current NCAA rules allow that.

NDSUstudent
12-05-2020, 05:06 AM
I dont think current NCAA rules allow that.

Don't tell Liberty that....

56BISON73
12-05-2020, 05:09 AM
Don't tell Liberty that....

They didnt try to start a conference.

Invites have to come from an established conference.

NDSUstudent
12-05-2020, 05:39 AM
They didnt try to start a conference.

Invites have to come from an established conference.

Clearly they don't since Liberty is an independent program and went FBS on their own.

If several schools go indy and later try to form a conference, nobody is going to stop them from doing so.

People can talk about whether going indy is viable, but Liberty proved what a sham the whole invite thing was. I will let you in on a secret, the power five schools run the show and they don't give a single damn about how many G5 schools there are.

56BISON73
12-05-2020, 06:30 AM
Clearly they don't since Liberty is an independent program and went FBS on their own.

If several schools go indy and later try to form a conference, nobody is going to stop them from doing so.

People can talk about whether going indy is viable, but Liberty proved what a sham the whole invite thing was. I will let you in on a secret, the power five schools run the show and they don't give a single damn about how many G5 schools there are.

Do your research on how Liberty pulled it off.

Then look up the NCAA regs on moving up and having a bunch of indys starting a conference to move up tp FBS..

Dont think I said anything about G5. But I thought that was common knowledge.

El_Chapo
12-05-2020, 01:24 PM
I changed my mind. I'm all for it. Let's jump. Frees up my Saturdays.

So you wont be a NDSU fan if they go FBS? GTFOOOI

dewey
12-05-2020, 02:02 PM
What is the goal of going to the FBS?

It is not to win a title....NEVER happen. The P5 schools wpuld never let a G5 team into the playoffs.

Go to some crappie bowl game in Memphis, Detroit or Boise?

No thanks. I would rather stay in the 2nd level to have a good chance to win a title every year. Going to Frisco to watch NDSU win title is awesome.

Dewey

El_Chapo
12-05-2020, 02:20 PM

It is not to win a title....NEVER happen. The P5 schools wpuld never let a G5 team into the playoffs.

No thanks. I would rather stay in the 2nd level to have a good chance to win a title every year. Going to Frisco to watch NDSU win title is awesome.

Dewey

so what do you think the 50 other FBS fanbases think when they have 0 chance at a title but have been in FBS for years?

UCLA Arizona Indiana Kansas. should they all be clamoring to goto FCS so they can win a title?

Bowl games during Xmas/New Years in Florida, Cali or Warm locale > Frisco texas 40 degrees and brown grass

ThunderDan
12-05-2020, 02:28 PM

Dewey

Coastal Carolina is ranked #18 and hosting College Gameday against #13 BYU today.

But yea, I'd rather pound Missouri St and play for a title in "crappy" Frisco TX, that no one outside of Fargo cares about....small town minds....lots of those around here

NovaBison
12-05-2020, 02:42 PM
- Understand that you need an invite
- Also understand that Liberty was able to go independent, claiming religious discrimination was keeping them from an invite

- I also understand rules don't allow the creation of a new conference
- A key obstacle of NDSU moving up is geographic isolation from a G5 conference

- If you look at the location of G5 conferences, there are way too many conferences in the Southeast quadrant of the United States, and not enough west of the Mississippi

- Why couldn't NDSU if they were to partner with 3 or 4 like minded "FBS viable" schools could petition the NCAA for the creation of a "west central" FBS conference - claiming the current conferences geographically discriminate against schools in the upper Midwest.

Just spit balling here... but this is something I have always wondered... Liberty and St. Thomas prove the NCAA is open to waivers.

WeAreThePride
12-05-2020, 02:56 PM
Coastal Carolina is ranked #18 and hosting College Gameday against #13 BYU today.

But yea, I'd rather pound Missouri St and play for a title in "crappy" Frisco TX, that no one outside of Fargo cares about....small town minds....lots of those around here

Yeah you can't get ranked or host Gameday in the FCS.

Gully
12-05-2020, 03:03 PM
so what do you think the 50 other FBS fanbases think when they have 0 chance at a title but have been in FBS for years?

UCLA Arizona Indiana Kansas. should they all be clamoring to goto FCS so they can win a title?

Bowl games during Xmas/New Years in Florida, Cali or Warm locale > Frisco texas 40 degrees and brown grass

I'll miss the playoff run more than Frisco itself, as a bowl game would allow for the same party atmosphere with the added bonus of the variety of going somewhere new.

dewey
12-05-2020, 03:39 PM

Yeah because we have never hosted College Gameday.

Small town minds or minds that are thinking through the logistics of what a move to FBS would look like instead of "oh look at the shiny object"?

Good argument.

Dewey

dewey
12-05-2020, 03:41 PM

Those P5 teams have a shot at the title every year by being in a P5 conference. Just because they stink doesn't mean they don't have a chance.

Kansas made it to the Orange bowl in the early 2010's.

Dewey

El_Chapo
12-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Those P5 teams have a shot at the title every year by being in a P5 conference. Just because they stink doesn't mean they don't have a chance.

Kansas made it to the Orange bowl in the early 2010's.

Dewey

and Boise State made history beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl in 2008. NDSU could do it!

dewey
12-05-2020, 03:49 PM
and Boise State made history beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl in 2008. NDSU could do it!

They got an invite from the Mountain West conference.

Imagine the complaining if NDSU only had 4 or 5 home games a year.

I think it is more prudent to wait and see what happens after the Knight commission recommended the P5 FBS schools basically breaking away to play their own league of football. Then the G5 and FCS more or less merge to have a more competitive division of football. This would allow the lower level FCS schools to drop down.

Kansas, UCLA and Indiana are all basketball schools with membership in P5 conference's.

For every Boise State and 1 year hit Coastal Carolina there are numerous Western Kentucky's and Umass'.

Dewey

EC8CH
12-05-2020, 04:08 PM
I'll miss the playoff run more than Frisco itself, as a bowl game would allow for the same party atmosphere with the added bonus of the variety of going somewhere new.

Always something magical about semifinal night. You can feel it in the air.

WeAreThePride
12-05-2020, 04:11 PM
Always something magical about semifinal night. You can feel it in the air.

Agreed. Frisco feels like a formality. The Semis are pure electricity.

ThunderDan
12-05-2020, 04:17 PM
Yeah because we have never hosted College Gameday.

Small town minds or minds that are thinking through the logistics of what a move to FBS would look like instead of "oh look at the shiny object"?

Good argument.

Dewey

Hosting Gameday while being in the Top #25 is way different than hosting gameday against Delaware St.
Small town minds...like I said.
LOTS...LOTS of FBS schools with smaller budgets than NDSU right now. And way less fan base. And way less overall revenue from football.

Small town mind

WeAreThePride
12-05-2020, 04:21 PM
Hosting Gameday while being in the Top #25 is way different than hosting gameday against Delaware St.
LOTS...LOTS of FBS schools with smaller budgets than NDSU right now. And way less fan base. And way less overall revenue from football.

Small town mind

Is it though?

dewey
12-05-2020, 04:39 PM

Small town mind

Really? The ESPN College Gameday people all said Fargo was one of their favorite trips and were really impressed with the fans, program and support. Both times they came to Fargo.

How would being a top 25 FBS make that different?

Dewey

dewey
12-05-2020, 04:41 PM
Agreed. Frisco feels like a formality. The Semis are pure electricity.

The Friday night semis are awesome.

We have had a few games in Frisco that are whoopings but some have been really good games (SHSU 2011, Illinois State, JMU x2).

Dewey

EC8CH
12-05-2020, 05:50 PM
The Friday night semis are awesome.

We have had a few games in Frisco that are whoopings but some have been really good games (SHSU 2011, Illinois State, JMU x2).

Dewey

Just feels like so much more riding on the semis than Frisco. Thousands of people with travel plans on the line. Frisco feels like a picnic as everyone is already there enjoying the party. Only thing to worry about is storming the field.

CalBison97
12-05-2020, 05:52 PM
They got an invite from the Mountain West conference.

I think it is more prudent to wait and see what happens after the Knight commission recommended the P5 FBS schools basically breaking away to play their own league of football. Then the G5 and FCS more or less merge to have a more competitive division of football. This would allow the lower level FCS schools to drop down.

Kansas, UCLA and Indiana are all basketball schools with membership in P5 conference's.

For every Boise State and 1 year hit Coastal Carolina there are numerous Western Kentucky's and Umass'.

Dewey

Seems like this has been happening for the last 10-15 years. Nothing will come of it.

ByeSonBusiness
12-05-2020, 06:16 PM

Dewey

There are two ways of looking at it.

If winning championships is important to you, then FCS is the place to be. NDSU can likely compete for them into perpetuity here and absolutely has zero chance of winning a national title at the FBS level even if they allowed the G5's a shot at it. A school like NDSU just isn't going to have the resources, support, etc to ever pull that off.

If maximizing exposure and challenging the football program to be the best version of itself is what you want, then FBS is the objective. There are a ton of solid programs that will never sniff a national championship and they still play and seem to have great support.

There are a ton of well documented challenges to moving up, many of which are outside of NDSU's control, but I tend to dislike the whole "why would we want to play there? We won't win nattys!" thing. A large amount of what makes championships fun is "wow out of everybody, we had the best team this year" but when you do it every year, a lot of the luster starts wearing off for a lot of people.

If the football program is where a lot of folks seem to think it is, (top 30-40), competing at the next level would result in plenty of fun games and bowls that are worth celebrating. There would probably be more P5 games, and you might even get one to come to Fargo from time to time.

All in all, NDSU can't grow anymore at the FCS level. If the university, state, and alumni are satisfied then by all means, stay, but I think the benefits the school has derived from the football program is about tapped out.

If the university, state, and alumni are not satisfied, then moving up seems to be the ticket. NDSU football is never going to be bad, no matter what level they could realistically play (D2, FCS, or G5). If they get an offer to go to the FBS, I think they'll jump at it.

All of this ignores the difficulties of geography, money, and needing an invite by the way. Obviously that's difficult and mostly out of the school's control.

This is not intended to dump on the FCS or trips to Dallas either. I think we all remember the hype early on associated with those trips, the championships, etc. But thats the pinnacle of what can happen at this stage. There is zero room for additional growth.

I think recruiting would improve too somewhat but thats not even entirely necessary. I think NDSU has proven that they can basically vacuum up all the guys in the upper Midwest and Great Plains that either need a bit of development or were overlooked for one reason or another.

Last but not least, selfishly I think it would be great to see NDSU play in Notre Dame Stadium and that can't happen as long as we are FCS lol.

OrygunBison
12-05-2020, 06:20 PM
The ESPN College Gameday people all said Fargo was one of their favorite trips and were really impressed with the fans, program and support. Both times they came to Fargo.
Dewey

What ELSE would you expect them to say publicly?

OrygunBison
12-05-2020, 06:27 PM
Dewey

We could always schedule a home game every year with UND.

I kid, I kid.

2011BisonAlumni
12-05-2020, 06:50 PM
If the FCS cancelling the season doesn’t provide enough evidence as to why this program needs to aggressively pursue a move to the FBS, I don’t know what will.

I’d rather have one Orange Bowl appearance like Northern Illinois did than spend the rest of my life watching NDSU either A.) win 30 more FCS championships or B.) fall back as a program into the pack like they did in the 1990’s.

Sorry, but it is time if the opportunity opens up.

ThunderDan
12-05-2020, 07:23 PM

this exactly...lol.
small town people get excited...like they don't say the same thing everywhere they go

ThunderDan
12-05-2020, 07:25 PM
Is it though?

Yes...yes it is

56BISON73
12-05-2020, 07:32 PM
If the FCS cancelling the season doesn’t provide enough evidence as to why this program needs to aggressively pursue a move to the FBS, I don’t know what will.

I’d rather have one Orange Bowl appearance like Northern Illinois did than spend the rest of my life watching NDSU either A.) win 30 more FCS championships or B.) fall back as a program into the pack like they did in the 1990’s.

Sorry, but it is time if the opportunity opens up.

Thats been the problem. No opportunity.

dewey
12-05-2020, 09:50 PM

Well at the end of the year when they ranked their favorite places a lot of them said NDSU. None of them had to at the end of the season.

Dewey

SDbison
12-05-2020, 10:31 PM
Thats been the problem. No opportunity. Bullshit PL. You have your nose so far up those in charge ass you know what they had for dinner. The problem is leadership. NDSU does not have any. Bunch of liberal losers run NDSU now both president and east coast Larson who is only positioning himself to get an AD job at a bigger University. No risk no reward! FCS is bush league anymore. If NDSU worked at it they would get an FBS conference invite, but they don't .

56BISON73
12-05-2020, 10:40 PM
Bullshit PL. You have your nose so far up those in charge ass you know what they had for dinner. The problem is leadership. NDSU does not have any. Bunch of liberal losers run NDSU now both president and east coast Larson who is only positioning himself to get an AD job at a bigger University. No risk no reward! FCS is bush league anymore. If NDSU worked at it they would get an FBS conference invite, but they don't .

https://i.imgur.com/9kHDL75.jpg

SDbison
12-05-2020, 10:45 PM
https://i.imgur.com/9kHDL75.jpg That is all you got......lol.

56BISON73
12-05-2020, 10:45 PM
That is all you got......lol.

Thats all that was needed.

GreenfieldBison
12-05-2020, 10:52 PM
Thats all that was needed.

It's the season of giving and I am feeling somewhat generous. Do you need one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Crayola-52-0064-Crayons-64-ea/dp/B00004YO15

56BISON73
12-05-2020, 10:55 PM
It's the season of giving and I am feeling somewhat generous. Do you need one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Crayola-52-0064-Crayons-64-ea/dp/B00004YO15

That certainly would help with him identifying the words but then we still have to deal with the lack of reading comprehension. :D

SDbison
12-05-2020, 10:56 PM
Thats all that was needed. No, you just have nothing when I call you out for what you are.......a suck up.

23Bison
12-05-2020, 10:58 PM
Would be nice playing as a ranked FBS team against another ranked team in BYU/Coastal C.

SDbison
12-05-2020, 11:12 PM
FCS is the new DII.

56BISON73
12-05-2020, 11:13 PM
No, you just have nothing when I call you out for what you are.......a suck up.

https://i.imgur.com/ioJ31J8.gif

SDbison
12-05-2020, 11:32 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ioJ31J8.gif What's the problem PL? NDSU does not belong in FCS and to stay here will eventually cause the program to fail. NDSU leaders just riding out the high times and eventually the ride will be over. Actually this COVID break is likely the end of the run as the reset will shake things up.

El_Chapo
12-05-2020, 11:56 PM
Omg this Coastal game

SDbison
12-06-2020, 12:14 AM
Omg this Coastal game Didn't Coastal recently play in DII, I mean FCS.

Buthockey
12-06-2020, 12:47 AM
Well at the end of the year when they ranked their favorite places a lot of them said NDSU. None of them had to at the end of the season.

Dewey
Is your name Dewey eh?

Buthockey

23Bison
12-06-2020, 12:57 AM
Well we got to play Central Arkansas so there!!!

HerdBot
12-06-2020, 01:01 AM
If Coastal can do it, so can we. We have a better name, tradition, facilities, resources and fan base to do it

We only need a football conference, we can stay in the Summit. 1 year transition for football

Conferences would want us for football because we have a brand

I don't want to see us wait 10 years too late to move up like the D2 days

SDbison
12-06-2020, 01:50 AM
If Coastal can do it, so can we. We have a better name, tradition, facilities, resources and fan base to do it

We only need a football conference, we can stay in the Summit. 1 year transition for football

Conferences would want us for football because we have a brand

I don't want to see us wait 10 years too late to move up like the D2 days All good points! Problem is NDSU leadership doesn't do one thing about it!

ByeSonBusiness
12-06-2020, 01:53 AM
All good points! Problem is NDSU leadership doesn't do one thing about it!

I think they will. Can kinda "feel" thinking changing. At least open minded more than in the past.

23Bison
12-06-2020, 02:01 AM
I think they will. Can kinda "feel" thinking changing. At least open minded more than in the past.
I hope you’re right

No_Skill
12-06-2020, 02:01 AM
Maybe all the people pulling donations will force their hands. Need to do something big to bring back the money.

56BISON73
12-06-2020, 03:14 AM

There thinking is the same. When an opportunity presents itself that is in the best interest of NDSU then there will be serious conversations. Everyone in the NCAA knows who NDSU is. Everyone talks to everyone. They all know each other. They all know if they are going to expand NDSU wants to be in the conversation.

ByeSonBusiness
12-06-2020, 03:49 AM
There thinking is the same. When an opportunity presents itself that is in the best interest of NDSU then there will be serious conversations. Everyone in the NCAA knows who NDSU is. Everyone talks to everyone. They all know each other. They all know if they are going to expand NDSU wants to be in the conversation.

Oh definitely. My thinking is just that in the past they may have been more "oh shucks, us? Idk" where now they might be more "let me talk to my people"

56BISON73
12-06-2020, 03:58 AM
Oh definitely. My thinking is just that in the past they may have been more "oh shucks, us? Idk" where now they might be more "let me talk to my people"

Ive never gotten that impression at all. I think you picked up that false narrative from some of those here who speak about things they know nothing about. They have never been aw shucks about anything.

A while back I was given a tour of the coaching offices. When we got to this very large expansive office which happened to be empty I was told that that office will be for the head coach when we move up. Does that sound like attitude of ah shucks and no vision?

But we have bigger fish to fry in the next couple of years after this year with lower revenue because of covid and losing donations.

wagsabison
12-06-2020, 09:28 AM
After seeing how FCS is/was treated this year and seeing how these 2 teams plus others we “owned” at that level ranked in the FBS, I have pulled a Dom and flipped. Dream scenario would have Nebraska going back to Big 12 with NDSU taking that spot. Emphasis on dream.

The way the FCS handled everything this year is a big reason I’ve flipped to be more pro-fbs. Maybe if a spring season is pulled off I’m proven wrong but I think it was a poor decision to not at least try to have a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison 4 Life
12-06-2020, 12:04 PM
Wisconsin is out of the running for the playoffs, Ohio State might be too. With North Dakota being a hotspot, you think that the Bison would have gotten through the season without missing games due to COVID?

FBS is limping along with half a season. It's the only reason Coastal and Liberty are showing out.

ByeSonBusiness
12-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Wisconsin is out of the running for the playoffs, Ohio State might be too. With North Dakota being a hotspot, you think that the Bison would have gotten through the season without missing games due to COVID?

FBS is limping along with half a season. It's the only reason Coastal and Liberty are showing out.

Hard to tell one way or the other. I suppose some of it is luck and some is procedure, some schools have been able to play their games with limited problems, conveniently, the high end programs outside of THE Ohio State have played enough games to separate themselves.

Looking like a lot depends on the ACC title game. If Clemson wins big, that may take ND out. If Clemson wins close ND stays in. If ND wins period Clemson is out.

This all assumes Alabama beats Florida. I wonder what the committee does if Florida and Clemson win close games.

1. Clemson?
2. Bama?
3. ND?
4. Florida?

Or do they flip FL and AL around then?

Committee has a tough job.

Ive never gotten that impression at all. I think you picked up that false narrative from some of those here who speak about things they know nothing about. They have never been aw shucks about anything.

A while back I was given a tour of the coaching offices. When we got to this very large expansive office which happened to be empty I was told that that office will be for the head coach when we move up. Does that sound like attitude of ah shucks and no vision?

But we have bigger fish to fry in the next couple of years after this year with lower revenue because of covid and losing donations.

Damn thats pretty cool. Actions speak louder than words. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

99Bison
12-06-2020, 11:51 PM
No sure “bigger fish to fry” comment makes sense though. As in missing the forest for the trees.

reformedUNDfan
12-07-2020, 12:33 AM
Cincinatti should be in if they win out IMO. AAC isn't really a power conference but it really isn't a G5 program either. I would estimate that it has 6 of the top ten programs outside the power conferences. Maybe four programs that could plausibly win a title. They don't have any great wins but they have a bunch of good wins and they look the part.

abc123
12-07-2020, 06:08 PM

So NDSU has a big empty room just sitting there not being used, in the middle of their football space, waiting for a coach that may or may not show up in the next 10-20 years? Interesting strategy in a facility that is nearing 30 years old.

Hammerhead
12-07-2020, 06:19 PM
So NDSU has a big empty room just sitting there not being used, in the middle of their football space, waiting for a coach that may or may not show up in the next 10-20 years? Interesting strategy in a facility that is nearing 30 years old.

I'll bet that empty room is the trophy room. :biggrin:

EC8CH
12-07-2020, 06:20 PM

Overflow for the trophy case. Good planning actually.

El_Chapo
12-08-2020, 04:40 AM

hes right. so dumb. move up or move out Matt Larson!! we are being laughed at on every message board I see of FBS teams that we WONT move up

56BISON73
12-08-2020, 12:28 PM
hes right. so dumb. move up or move out Matt Larson!! we are being laughed at on every message board I see of FBS teams that we WONT move up

We are being laughed at???? Doubtful. You being laughed at? More than likely.

ByeSonBusiness
12-08-2020, 12:40 PM

I cant imagine many FBS message boards spend any significant amount of time thinking about FCS, much less taking the time to point and laugh at a specific member.

Anyone here spend much time thinking about D2 or D3 football?

WeAreThePride
12-08-2020, 12:44 PM
I've never seen an FBS board where anyone other than immediate regional recruiting rivals like Minnesota and Nebraska rip on NDSU. Everyone else is supportive and respectful of the Bison accomplishments.

THEsocalledfan
12-08-2020, 01:19 PM
Anyone who think the P5 will every allow a G5 in the CFP as currently configured is deluding themselves. Cincinnati has no shot no matter what they do and this is the best shot a G5 will ever have....

heffray
12-08-2020, 01:19 PM
I cant imagine many FBS message boards spend any significant amount of time thinking about FCS, much less taking the time to point and laugh at a specific member.

Anyone here spend much time thinking about D2 or D3 football?

Well, we DO talk a lot about UN_ here....

Bison 4 Life
12-08-2020, 01:39 PM

I will guarantee he goes over there shit talking, they tell him how fucking dumb he is and that's what he takes from it.

HerdBot
12-08-2020, 02:01 PM

The coaching offices are part of an addition that opened in 2001 actually. So 19 years old

But when the new 38 million dollar IPF opens, we will have a bonus football team meeting room, locker room, sports medicine and strength and performance center

DePereBisonFan
12-08-2020, 02:14 PM
The coaching offices are part of an addition that opened in 2001 actually. So 19 years old

But when the new 38 million dollar IPF opens, we will have a bonus football team meeting room, locker room, sports medicine and strength and performance center

That IPF will be very nice. It's almost like we're preparing the facilities in advance so that when we begin applying for FBS independence or an FBS conference, we will be able to put a good foot forward.

HerdBot
12-08-2020, 02:23 PM
That IPF will be very nice. It's almost like we're preparing the facilities in advance so that when we begin applying for FBS independence or an FBS conference, we will be able to put a good foot forward.

The IPF will me much nicer than some MAC schools. Check out Ball States brand new one under construction

El_Chapo
12-08-2020, 03:02 PM
I will guarantee he goes over there shit talking, they tell him how fucking dumb he is and that's what he takes from it.

EVERY SINGLE NDSU CONVO ON A FBS BOARD:

"Don't talk until you leave JV"
"so what , you have JV Titles , good for you"
"If you're soooo good, why don't you put your big boy pants on and move up"

abc123
12-08-2020, 03:21 PM

OK. So they've had a big open empty room in an almost 30 year old facility for the last 19 years just so they can say they might use it someday?

mtoutfitter
12-08-2020, 03:21 PM
EVERY SINGLE NDSU CONVO ON A FBS BOARD:

"Don't talk until you leave JV"
"so what , you have JV Titles , good for you"
"If you're soooo good, why don't you put your big boy pants on and move up"

Probably right....but who's talking shit to em to get those comments?????

HerdBot
12-08-2020, 03:46 PM
OK. So they've had a big open empty room in an almost 30 year old facility for the last 19 years just so they can say they might use it someday?

FBS has more available coaching positions, so more space is needed. But it seems short signed to landlock your program. Its better to have too much space instead of doing a super spendy addition

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-08-2020, 03:56 PM

This is exactly what should happen.

I know some on here want full FBS membership, but that makes no sense and would likely be unachievable, whereas FB only is actually feasible.

The Summit is a perfect fit and is trending up. I think it has a very bright future as a mid-major. Footprint is compact and you’d maintain the regional rivalries that you’d lose in FB.

It would take a while, so the time to start the process is now, and it is encouraging to hear that the AD has started looking into it at least. That’s the huge first step.

I’d be curious to know how all the stay-putters on here felt about jumping up to FCS. Be honest now. The biggest obstacle NDSU faces is that a significant portion of the fan-base basically wants NCC 2.0, because this is what they know. They say they’d bail, but I’d bet they’d be back. Just a hunch …

EC8CH
12-08-2020, 04:00 PM

So what? They built an entire football stadium in Grand Forks half filled with empty seats that they might someday maybe be able to use?

Bison 4 Life
12-08-2020, 04:17 PM
So what? They built an entire football stadium in Grand Forks half filled with empty seats that they might someday maybe be able to use?

They built a stadium in Brookings that was intentionally bigger than the one in Fargo for one game every two years.

Gully
12-08-2020, 04:29 PM

I know some on here want full FBS membership, but that makes no sense and would likely be unachievable, whereas FB only is actually feasible.

The Summit is a perfect fit and is trending up. I think it has a very bright future as a mid-major. Footprint is compact and you’d maintain the regional rivalries that you’d lose in FB.

It would take a while, so the time to start the process is now, and it is encouraging to hear that the AD has started looking into it at least. That’s the huge first step.

I’d be curious to know how all the stay-putters on here felt about jumping up to FCS. Be honest now. The biggest obstacle NDSU faces is that a significant portion of the fan-base basically wants NCC 2.0, because this is what they know. They say they’d bail, but I’d bet they’d be back. Just a hunch …

I'm not sure what you're trying to say...FBS really only deals with football so by definition, it's football only. I think maybe you're trying to say they should secure a football-only invite to a different conference that plays FBS football and if that's the case, I would agree with you. I think if they could secure a football only Mountain West invite, they'd take it. Travel to other DI conferences would be too expensive for non-football sports and besides, The Summit League is already at the same offical level as the other conferences anyway (I realize the competiveness and prestigue may vary). In other words, if NDSU makes the bb tournament, they can play Duke, etc. It's the highest level.

They're really in a great place for everything...........except football. Unfortunately, it's football that drives most of the passion and support and it's been boring lately.

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-08-2020, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure what you're trying to say...FBS really only deals with football so by definition, it's football only. I think maybe you're trying to say they should secure a football-only invite to a different conference that plays FBS football and if that's the case, I would agree with you. I think if they could secure a football only Mountain West invite, they'd take it. Travel to other DI conferences would be too expensive for non-football sports and besides, The Summit League is already at the same offical level as the other conferences anyway (I realize the competiveness and prestigue may vary). In other words, if NDSU makes the bb tournament, they can play Duke, etc. It's the highest level.

They're really in a great place for everything...........except football. Unfortunately, it's football that drives most of the passion and support and it's been boring lately.

Sorry, meant full-G5, but as you say, FB drives the bus :)

abc123
12-08-2020, 04:38 PM

What was the attendance at the last NDSU home game?

bruinbison
12-08-2020, 05:01 PM

jmho - I don’t think this is a very large population......(stay-putters as you call them)

jmho - big majority of people don’t think there is real/serious/substantial - interest by any FBS Conference in adding NDSU - whether as a football only or as a full-time member

So as I have asked of Chapo/Lakes multiple times:
Where are the substantive reports of FBS Conference interest in NDSU???
I’m always interested in reading them......where are they?
Chat room chatter/klick-bait stuff really doesn’t count...
I do see the 247 article from 2019 about replacing UConn in the AAC.
What else is there???

Extra Extra credit for AAC/MW/MAC University President/Athletic Director/Head Coach quotes & comments

Bison03
12-08-2020, 05:02 PM
Rumors are out there again that the WAC is set to in invite southern utah. Proving once again that going FBS has zero to do with success and everything to do with location and media market.

TAILG8R
12-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Rumors are out there again that the WAC is set to in invite southern utah. Proving once again that going FBS has zero to do with success and everything to do with location and media market.

The WAC doesn't exist as a football conference and all the rumors about this are leaning to the WAC adding football again as an FCS conference.

heffray
12-08-2020, 05:41 PM
What was the attendance at the last NDSU home game?

Probably bigger than the actually capacity at Nichols’ stadium...

El_Chapo
12-08-2020, 06:19 PM

no he hasn't... lol

Bruin:
you have to SOLICIT and CAMPAIGN to the FBS conferences for the invite.
They just don't wake up and give you one. its like sales. only harder. Yes there was AAC expansion chatter and MAC/Mountain West back in 2013.....

BUT when NDSU's AD and President never mention FBS or allude to FBS or Feasibility studies or clamor for FBS... then a FBS conference won't even care, you're non-existant.

15 minutes ago on Twitter:

ODU Barstool
@ODUbarstool
No one gives a shit about JV Football.

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-08-2020, 06:47 PM
no he hasn't... lol

Bruin:
you have to SOLICIT and CAMPAIGN to the FBS conferences for the invite.
They just don't wake up and give you one. its like sales. only harder. Yes there was AAC expansion chatter and MAC/Mountain West back in 2013.....

BUT when NDSU's AD and President never mention FBS or allude to FBS or Feasibility studies or clamor for FBS... then a FBS conference won't even care, you're non-existant.

ODU Barstool
@ODUbarstool

As much as it pains me to say this, he may have a point here. I think you do need to express interest, and I believe they are both on record as stating that they want to be trophy hoarders,* or something like. I would imagine as well that the AD likely wants to use all those trophies as fodder for his next job, but that would just be a guess on my part …

*TM BisonLoaf

bruinbison
12-08-2020, 07:07 PM
Sorry, disagree and will stop posting now on this thread :banghead:

This isn’t a matter/anti-matter thing......

Someone somewhere could be expressing an interest in NDSU joining their conference......especially with all the reasons the FBS folks put forward on NDSU being such a great candidate.

And my asking for someone/anyone to show signs of this......
Well, it’s conveniently being ignored......and Chapo is being enabled in his putdowns of NDSU administration/coaches/athletes/recruits......

e.g. his latest post:

ODU Barstool
@ODUbarstool

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-08-2020, 08:18 PM
This isn’t a matter/anti-matter thing......

That's a good one.

And I'll side with Bruin every time over Lakes. There really is no comparison. One is a main reason I visit Bisonville, the other, well ...

Like you say, time to be done here

Bison Loaf
12-08-2020, 08:43 PM
As much as it pains me to say this, he may have a point here. I think you do need to express interest, and I believe they are both on record as stating that they want to be trophy hoarders,* or something like. I would imagine as well that the AD likely wants to use all those trophies as fodder for his next job, but that would just be a guess on my part …

*TM BisonLoaf

The term you are referring to is actually "Title Hoarders" (see below, line 10 of the lyrics) and I must remind everyone that, under penalty of a long, 5 showers-a-day incarceration inside a Turkish prison (been there, done that), this is part of the exclusive artificial intellectual property of ThM, and may not be reproduced, retransmitted, used, abused, spat upon, lit on fire, flushed down a toilet, or used as punishment for your bratty damn children, in any form, without the express written consent of Thunderstruck Makers Incorporated. Lawyers are standing by.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?36764-AC-DC-to-the-West-Lot-rumors&p=1436946#post1436946

BisonJD
12-08-2020, 09:28 PM
This is interesting...maybe there's a pathway here with Boise St?

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfsports/football/harsin-urged-boise-state-leadership-to-leave-mountain-west-conference-emails-show/article_f855ea98-7e28-5d58-a3b4-b2504031bbf5.html

23Bison
12-09-2020, 05:38 PM
:judges::judges::judges:FBS,FBS,FBS:judges::judges ::judges:

Hammerhead
12-09-2020, 07:44 PM

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfsports/football/harsin-urged-boise-state-leadership-to-leave-mountain-west-conference-emails-show/article_f855ea98-7e28-5d58-a3b4-b2504031bbf5.html

If the Mountain West isn't good enough for Boise State, why would it be good enough for us?

23Bison
12-09-2020, 08:01 PM
If the Mountain West isn't good enough for Boise State, why would it be good enough for us?

Because we aren’t FBS and/or Boise St. (yet). Need to start someplace to add to our programs outstanding accolades so why not a place like MWC?

Hammerhead
12-09-2020, 08:09 PM
Because we aren’t FBS and/or Boise St. (yet). Need to start someplace to add to our programs outstanding accolades so why not a place like MWC?

Big Ten or bust. :biggrin:

BisonFan13
12-09-2020, 08:25 PM
I am now on the FBS train. I think the quality of competition in the FCS is not that strong anymore with a lot of the good teams moving up the last few years. We are pretty much paying FBS prices for tickets so they might as well play better competition.

NDSU1980
12-09-2020, 08:30 PM
Big Ten or bust. :biggrin:

SEC or bust. Go big or go home

TAILG8R
12-09-2020, 08:33 PM
In conversation around the new WAC and gutting the Southland etc there were a number of comments talking about how they hope there are a handful of D2 schools ready to move up and fill out the conferences that are being robbed of their teams. Make me puke. That mentality is what is wrong with the FCS.

BisonJD
12-10-2020, 02:00 PM

Was not suggesting a move to MWC. Was trying to suggest that we hook up with Boise and follow them to a conference. If their brand walks from MWC, you essentially have the Big Sky.

runtheoption
12-10-2020, 02:22 PM
Was not suggesting a move to MWC. Was trying to suggest that we hook up with Boise and follow them to a conference. If their brand walks from MWC, you essentially have the Big Sky.

Need more lawyers around here chiming in. The only ones with common cents. :hide:

JohnnyExtacy
12-10-2020, 02:40 PM

WHile I agree with the coach in principle, he's making the absolute wrong argument to the wrong people. "If it means other sports have to move too than it will be in the best interest of Boise State University". Yea, tell that to the basketball coach where the MWC conference is a perennial top 4 or 5 conference. If I was their basketball coach I would be laughing in his face saying we better not move out of the MWC.

23Bison
12-10-2020, 03:12 PM
I believe NDSU football should move up to FBS. Independents could work (not ideal, risky) for the short term. Scheduling would be key and outcome of those contests would be as important. Try to get a P5 or two, a BYU type along with say Army. Fill the rest with G5 and maybe one FCS. Create momentum and push for an invite from any conference willing to accept them. Stay in the Summit for all other sports. Recruiting would be interesting for the first few years. Equal chance that its positive or negative.

MankatoBison
12-10-2020, 03:21 PM

I would agree. Lets say Boise goes independent... They and BYU are a little tied at the hip in the sense that they would play eachother every year as independents. Makes going independent for US more attractive than before. Imagine having Boise and BYU on the schedule each year. (Granted- going independent even in this fantasy scenario of partnering informally with BYU and Boise, would be incredibly difficult)

Bison 4 Life
12-10-2020, 03:22 PM
The FBS Median budget is in the mid $60 million range. NDSU currently has a budget in the $30's. That means our budget would have to double just to be an "OK" FBS program.

Double. Every year come up with twice as much money as we do now.

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-10-2020, 03:36 PM
The FBS Median budget is in the mid $60 million range. NDSU currently has a budget in the $30's. That means our budget would have to double just to be an "OK" FBS program.

I get what you are saying, but for FB-only this would not be the case. Someone does need to run the numbers, though

NDSUguy
12-10-2020, 03:52 PM

This isn't totally true. First off this is TOTAL athletic budget. Moving NDSU football FBS would increase the number of scholarships and spending and that would have some Title IX considerations for the women's Olympic sports. That certainly however isn't a dollar for dollar spend though.

Secondly, this is the MEDIAN among all 130 FBS schools. This includes the top 20 spending where the the spend is well over $180 million each year. If we wanted to look at what it would take to be something like Boise State... Well then you're looking at somewhere in the mid $40 million range annually. If the Olympic sports stayed in the Summit, certainly the total athletic spending would not be as high as what Boise St. currently spends due to travel.

23Bison
12-10-2020, 03:55 PM

Don't exactly need do double the football budget or have the Median budget. Would it help? Absolutely. That is just money to say you are "ok" compared to other FBS programs money wise. Sure the budget would have to increase in a big way but as long as we could produce funding to support a successful FBS team is all that's needed. We do well with less and are currently doing it now at the FCS level.

23Bison
12-10-2020, 03:59 PM
I would agree. Lets say Boise goes independent... They and BYU are a little tied at the hip in the sense that they would play eachother every year as independents. Makes going independent for US more attractive than before. Imagine having Boise and BYU on the schedule each year. (Granted- going independent even in this fantasy scenario of partnering informally with BYU and Boise, would be incredibly difficult)

Starting the season with 2 P5 teams and say and FCS then moving on to BYU, Boise St and Army along with other G5 teams would be a pretty alright schedule regardless who the last couple teams on the schedule are. Certainly better than any schedule that we have had as of late including the playoffs and championship game.

Pipedream, I know, but not completely out of question if it were to every happen. (unlikely)

NovaBison
12-10-2020, 04:24 PM
Starting the season with 2 P5 teams and say and FCS then moving on to BYU, Boise St and Army along with other G5 teams would be a pretty alright schedule regardless who the last couple teams on the schedule are. Certainly better than any schedule that we have had as of late including the playoffs and championship game.

Pipedream, I know, but not completely out of question if it were to every happen. (unlikely)

FBS Independents:
- Notre Dame
- BYU
- Army
- Liberty
- Mew Mexico State
- UMass
- UConn

If just a few more are added... independent isn't a horrible option -- though not sure what the post-season options would be.

TAILG8R
12-10-2020, 04:38 PM
FBS Independents:
- Notre Dame
- BYU
- Army
- Liberty
- Mew Mexico State
- UMass
- UConn

If just a few more are added... independent isn't a horrible option -- though not sure what the post-season options would be.

I feel like BYU and obviously Notre Dame(MAYBE Army??) are attractive enough to other's scheduling that they aren't really in the same bucket as the other independents. I guess I wouldn't count them as wanting/needing to schedule NDSU or any other independent simply because of some independent camaraderie. Could we get on their schedule every 4/5 yrs, sure I could see something like that happening.

So your FBS independents to try to create some sort of scheduling alliance with are:
- Army(Maybe)
- Liberty
- Mew Mexico State
- UMass
- UConn

Trying to fill an 11 game schedule year in and year out with 5 other teams that MIGHT want to scratch each other's back would be tough. And when NDSU continues to win the P5 games it gets scheduled for good luck getting multiple P5s to schedule you each year.

Smarter people(trust me no one on this board) would know more about how this may work out but it seems like a tough row to hoe.

El_Chapo
12-10-2020, 04:50 PM
if NDSU went Independent to join those, maybe JMU would go as well.

Set up a scheduling agreement and sprinkle in a regional fcs game vs SDSU or UNI and dam that'd be a helluva schedule!

TAILG8R
12-10-2020, 04:54 PM
if NDSU went Independent to join those, maybe JMU would go as well.

Set up a scheduling agreement and sprinkle in a regional fcs game vs SDSU or UNI and dam that'd be a helluva schedule!

So where do the other 4-5 games come from?

MankatoBison
12-10-2020, 04:59 PM
This isn't totally true. First off this is TOTAL athletic budget. Moving NDSU football FBS would increase the number of scholarships and spending and that would have some Title IX considerations for the women's Olympic sports. That certainly however isn't a dollar for dollar spend though.

Secondly, this is the MEDIAN among all 130 FBS schools. This includes the top 20 spending where the the spend is well over $180 million each year. If we wanted to look at what it would take to be something like Boise State... Well then you're looking at somewhere in the mid $40 million range annually. If the Olympic sports stayed in the Summit, certainly the total athletic spending would not be as high as what Boise St. currently spends due to travel.

no no no no no NDSUguy... I have been told by people who tell me they are better human beings than me, that if you point out obvious things like this, it means you are a bad person who wants NDSU to have to shut its doors and are exactly like Lakes in every way and should have your account deleted. shame on you... shame on you, SIR

MankatoBison
12-10-2020, 05:00 PM

WELP, pack it up boys, FBS is impossible now that we'd have to schedule a full schedule each year! I totally forgot about all of the FBS teams that only get to play 6 games a year because no one will schedule them! HOW DID WE FORGET ABOUT THIS?!?!?!?

#FCSForever

El_Chapo
12-10-2020, 05:11 PM

FBS Independents:
- Notre Dame (doubtful they play us)
- BYU (they would play us)
- Army
- Liberty
- Mew Mexico State
- UMass
- UConn

Guarantee those 6 would play us.
1 Regional SDSU/UNI rotation every year
3 other FBS teams probably in non conference season for them *Iowa St, Wyoming, Minnesota, Hell ANYONE ANYWHERE* Regional game set up at US Bank or something abstract

TAILG8R
12-10-2020, 05:20 PM
FBS Independents:
- Notre Dame (doubtful they play us)
- BYU (they would play us)
- Army
- Liberty
- Mew Mexico State
- UMass
- UConn

Guarantee those 6 would play us.
1 Regional SDSU/UNI rotation every year
3 other FBS teams probably in non conference season for them *Iowa St, Wyoming, Minnesota, Hell ANYONE ANYWHERE* Regional game set up at US Bank or something abstract

IMO all of that is a VERY big leap of faith. And like I said when NDSU continues to beat every G5 that schedules them good luck on filling that schedule. All I'm saying is going independent would be a VERY difficult road and to expect any semblance of a consistent/solid schedule is foolish.

23Bison
12-10-2020, 05:53 PM
IMO all of that is a VERY big leap of faith. And like I said when NDSU continues to beat every G5 that schedules them good luck on filling that schedule. All I'm saying is going independent would be a VERY difficult road and to expect any semblance of a consistent/solid schedule is foolish.

I see what you are saying but it seems as if you aren't acknowledging that NDSU itself would be considered a G5 school at the time and not looking down upon NDSU as a lowly FCS school that would likely beat them anymore but rather a quality opponent to fill the schedule.

I believe we would get a P5 at minimum of 2 times a season for OOC games. Remember, a lot of the BIG P5 schools such as Bama and alike in the SEC have an open date later in their seasons. Now will those big schools want to schedule NDSU rather than a Citadel type team in the FCS before the Iron Bowl? I don't know.

56BISON73
12-10-2020, 06:01 PM

Plus you need a boat load of cash to bring in opponents and a boat load of money to travel because you arent bargaining from a position of strength.

If I remember there was a time when we were in that position and remember hearing about all the travel we had to do. We had to scramble for games and had to take what we could get.

JohnnyExtacy
12-10-2020, 06:15 PM
You guys are depressing me. I can't handle NDSU being a Division 2 program for much longer.

TAILG8R
12-10-2020, 06:38 PM
I see what you are saying but it seems as if you aren't acknowledging that NDSU itself would be considered a G5 school at the time and not looking down upon NDSU as a lowly FCS school that would likely beat them anymore but rather a quality opponent to fill the schedule.

I believe we would get a P5 at minimum of 2 times a season for OOC games. Remember, a lot of the BIG P5 schools such as Bama and alike in the SEC have an open date later in their seasons. Now will those big schools want to schedule NDSU rather than a Citadel type team in the FCS before the Iron Bowl? I don't know.Oh I'm fully aware NDSU would be a g5 my point still stands. to p5 teams want to regularly schedule a g5 team that has a record of winning say 90% of the time?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

23Bison
12-10-2020, 06:45 PM
Oh I'm fully aware NDSU would be a g5 my point still stands. to p5 teams want to regularly schedule a g5 team that has a record of winning say 90% of the time?

Wouldn't that be a strength of schedule arguing point to schedule a quality G5 team? Do P5 teams continually duck Boise St. or say UCF? Does Houston or Cinnci have issues scheduling P5 schools?

TAILG8R
12-10-2020, 06:46 PM
Wouldn't that be a strength of schedule arguing point to schedule a quality G5 team? Do P5 teams continually duck Boise St. or say UCF? Does Houston or Cinnci have issues scheduling P5 schools?I don't know, do they? And remember you now have to find 3-4 EVERY year.

23Bison
12-10-2020, 06:52 PM
I don't know, do they? And remember you now have to find 3-4 EVERY year.

The answer is no. Some of these Independent schools play up to 5 P5 schools in a single season and that doesn't include ND. 3 is a common number for a small Independent school. How is it that UCONN and UMASS can find games to play but some how NDSU wouldn't?

TAILG8R
12-10-2020, 07:04 PM
The answer is no. Some of these Independent schools play up to 5 P5 schools in a single season and that doesn't include ND. 3 is a common number for a small Independent school. How is it that UCONN and UMASS can find games to play but some how NDSU wouldn't?I don't follow umass and uconn so I don't know their schedules. Sounds like it would be no problem then.

23Bison
12-10-2020, 07:10 PM
I don't follow umass and uconn so I don't know their schedules. Sounds like it would be no problem then.

The only issue with Umass and say NMST is that frequently those two teams seem to schedule one another twice. (Gross I know) if there was another Indy (NDSU) that wouldn't happen I guess. There are occasions where they have 4 P5 schools plus ND and BYU on the schedule. That's pretty interesting to me. SEC and ACC schools pop up a bit on schedules.

ThunderDan
12-10-2020, 07:37 PM
If not being able to make the FBS playoffs is the argument for not moving up, then why is anyone other than about 10-12 teams in the FBS? Cuz there are not more than that who legitimately have a chance to make the playoffs year in and year out, let alone win a title
If you think going to Frisco TX for a "nobody gives a shit other than NDUS fans" game every single year is better than going to a FBS bowl game, then maybe we should just go D2 again.
If you think playing Missouri St. is more exciting than having opportunities to play P5 teams every year, then why don't we just join the NSIC.
The football revenue would skyrocket if we were FBS, even with the additional costs....ticket prices could easily go up, merch would sell more, we'd get TV money and Bowl game money, plus money to go play P5 schools every year.

And no, the budget does not have to double to go FBS in football and be "ok"......jeez, where do people get this stuff? NDSU and Coastal Carolina have almost the exact same budget right now and Coastal actually has 2 more sports than NDSU....

Small town minds...small town minds

abc123
12-10-2020, 07:43 PM

On the scholarship side, my guess is that it would have to be pretty dang close considering NDSU is already spending out of proportion on men's scholarship dollars. They have obviously been fine as they sit, but adding 22 more scholarhips to the men's side would put them pretty close to a 2:1 ratio on men vs. women. Have to believe that would catch some attention.

Not sure what the plan would be to add additional women's scholarships outside of adding another sport or two since I believe all currently sports are already offering the max or very close to it.

ByeSonBusiness
12-10-2020, 07:44 PM
I don't follow umass and uconn so I don't know their schedules. Sounds like it would be no problem then.

They might offer their basketball programs as leverage. Who knows.

23Bison
12-10-2020, 10:19 PM
They might offer their basketball programs as leverage. Who knows.

So can we! :hide:

El_Chapo
12-11-2020, 04:29 AM
On the scholarship side, my guess is that it would have to be pretty dang close considering NDSU is already spending out of proportion on men's scholarship dollars. They have obviously been fine as they sit, but adding 22 more scholarhips to the men's side would put them pretty close to a 2:1 ratio on men vs. women. Have to believe that would catch some attention.

Not sure what the plan would be to add additional women's scholarships outside of adding another sport or two since I believe all currently sports are already offering the max or very close to it.

Equestrian

bisonaudit
12-11-2020, 04:33 AM
Equestrian

JFC. What’s next crew? More free college for elitists financed on the backs of football and basketball players.

ByeSonBusiness
12-11-2020, 04:36 AM
JFC. What’s next crew? More free college for elitists financed on the backs of football and basketball players.

To be fair, at a place like NDSU the crew team would probably just be some corn fed farm girls rather than some girl with a place in Nantucket.

56BISON73
12-11-2020, 04:38 AM
The answer is no. Some of these Independent schools play up to 5 P5 schools in a single season and that doesn't include ND. 3 is a common number for a small Independent school. How is it that UCONN and UMASS can find games to play but some how NDSU wouldn't?

Location............

23Bison
12-11-2020, 01:09 PM
Location............

Oh that’s right. Why would I think some team would ever travel to Fargo for a football game. I mean it is asking for too much.

23Bison
12-11-2020, 02:34 PM
Keep in mind that its Friday morning and I'm already watching the clock so I can head out ice fishing for the weekend and want this day over. PIPE DREAM INDY SCHEDULE ALERT!!! IM BORED!!!

Minnesota
Northern Illinois
Oklahoma St.
Memphis
Boise St.
Uconn
Army
Umass
BYU
Liberty
New Mexico St.

No I haven't started drinking yet but should. Pipe dreams are good and again I'm bored. Also, I didn't pick to best of the best for teams.

NDSUguy
12-11-2020, 02:42 PM

What i was alluding to was the need to add women's scholarships. There are however other sports (Swimming/Diving and Tennis) that are offered within the Summit that we are not participating in. If we can add those sports (with limited travel due to them being Summit sponsored sports) the increase spending would not be the same as what would be required with football due to scholorships, coaches, recruitment, travel, etc.

GreenfieldBison
12-11-2020, 02:44 PM
Keep in mind that its Friday morning and I'm already watching the clock so I can head out ice fishing for the weekend and want this day over. PIPE DREAM INDY SCHEDULE ALERT!!! IM BORED!!!

Minnesota
Northern Illinois
Oklahoma St.
Memphis
Boise St.
Uconn
Army
Umass
BYU
Liberty
New Mexico St.

No I haven't started drinking yet but should. Pipe dreams are good and again I'm bored. Also, I didn't pick to best of the best for teams.

Ice fishing??? You mean you've got like, actual ICE there?

23Bison
12-11-2020, 02:48 PM
Ice fishing??? You mean you've got like, actual ICE there?

Oh yeah!! Like 9.5 plus inches. Already been out 3 times here in ND.

GreenfieldBison
12-11-2020, 02:55 PM
Oh yeah!! Like 9.5 plus inches. Already been out 3 times here in ND.

Damn! Sorry for the thread drift but if I was going fishing today here by the cities I would need to take my boat. I've got a little pond here on my property and while it has skim ice on it the edges are soft every day.

23Bison
12-11-2020, 02:59 PM
It's going to be in the single digits here for lows the next 3 nights so I'm hoping to be driving on the ice with my pickup by Monday at the earliest.

TAILG8R
12-11-2020, 03:35 PM

Minnesota
Northern Illinois
Oklahoma St.
Memphis
Boise St.
Uconn
Army
Umass
BYU
Liberty
New Mexico St.

I'm truly not trying to be a downer and shit on this but I am genuinely wondering if most of these teams would be any more interesting than ISU blue or red, other than the FBS label.

Minnesota
Northern Illinois - meh
Oklahoma St. - not sure why I care about this game but as a kid I saw some Ok St games on tv and their hideous orange uniforms made it so I couldn't look away and they were always underdogs which I have a soft spot for.
Memphis - meh
Boise St.
Uconn - meh
Army
Umass - meh
BYU
Liberty - super meh
New Mexico St. - super meh

OK I guess now that I actually lay it out half of the schedule would be pretty fun, which is WAY better than most years now.

23Bison
12-11-2020, 03:48 PM
I'm truly not trying to be a downer and shit on this but I am genuinely wondering if most of these teams would be any more interesting than ISU blue or red, other than the FBS label.

Minnesota
Northern Illinois - meh
Oklahoma St. - not sure why I care about this game but as a kid I saw some Ok St games on tv and their hideous orange uniforms made it so I couldn't look away and they were always underdogs which I have a soft spot for.
Memphis - meh
Boise St.
Uconn - meh
Army
Umass - meh
BYU
Liberty - super meh
New Mexico St. - super meh

OK I guess now that I actually lay it out half of the schedule would be pretty fun, which is WAY better than most years now.

Oh I agree with a lot of that. Some of the teams I added just for pure regional reasons and travel costs plus money games. NIU, Big1G, BigXII. Uconn, Umass, NM St and Liberty would be schedule fillers. Getting BYU, Army and Boise on the schedule fairly regularly would be tricky. When looking at the past schedules of the smaller Indy teams, its surprising how often a mid season P5 team is scheduled. Its nowhere near perfect or exciting like say BYUs schedules (about five P5 teams a season plus a ranked G5 or two) but they put in their dues. Nm St has probably the grossest schedule out there with two FCS games, Playing Liberty twice, and 1-2 low level P5 with a lot of very lack luster G5. Its all pipe dreams.

TAILG8R
12-11-2020, 03:56 PM
Oh I agree with a lot of that. Some of the teams I added just for pure regional reasons and travel costs plus money games. NIU, Big1G, BigXII. Uconn, Umass, NM St and Liberty would be schedule fillers. Getting BYU, Army and Boise on the schedule fairly regularly would be tricky. When looking at the past schedules of the smaller Indy teams, its surprising how often a mid season P5 team is scheduled. Its nowhere near perfect or exciting like say BYUs schedules (about five P5 teams a season plus a ranked G5 or two) but they put in their dues. Nm St has probably the grossest schedule out there with two FCS games, Playing Liberty twice, and 1-2 low level P5 with a lot of very lack luster G5. Its all pipe dreams.

Can you imagine the disgust if we were FBS and scheduled two FCS games on a regular basis. LOL I can imagine the bisonville meltdown and it's glorious.

Rock
12-11-2020, 04:02 PM
What is the over under on Coaches NDSU Football looses to fbs before *spring ball?

*assumed start of spring ball

23Bison
12-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Can you imagine the disgust if we were FBS and scheduled two FCS games on a regular basis. LOL I can imagine the bisonville meltdown and it's glorious.
haha, oh I know!!! The sad thing though is that if we did jump up, our first two-three season would be riddled with FCS due to teams schedules already being set years in advance.
Maybe that's why it takes so long to get our future schedules finalized?!! lol Trying to limit the OOC FCS games for our future jump to FBS. :bong:
:praying:

SkolMitzel
12-11-2020, 05:29 PM
https://twitter.com/HunterBadger87/status/1334631828611715072?s=20

NDSU1980
12-12-2020, 06:30 PM
Holy Moly, I'd say the world is about to come to an end. McFeely on board to move to FBS. https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6798652-McFeely-Time-for-Bison-to-plan-for-moonshot-to-FBS

56BISON73
12-12-2020, 06:39 PM
Holy Moly, I'd say the world is about to come to an end. McFeely on board to move to FBS. https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6798652-McFeely-Time-for-Bison-to-plan-for-moonshot-to-FBS

Nothing there that hasnt been discussed here.

HerdBot
12-12-2020, 06:50 PM

Well written. Make the plans so when its time, we are not unprepared

EC8CH
12-12-2020, 07:49 PM

The end is near sign guys might finally be right.

NDSU1980
12-12-2020, 08:33 PM

I agree, but have you EVER heard those words from McFeely?

EC8CH
12-12-2020, 10:07 PM
I agree, but have you EVER heard those words from McFeely?

Chapo finally wore me down.

heffray
12-13-2020, 12:37 AM

Didn’t you know he gets all his material from Bisonville..?

56BISON73
12-13-2020, 12:41 AM
Didn’t you know he gets all his material from Bisonville..?

:D...........

He was probably thinking "LOL this will get those assholes tongues wagging" when he wrote it. :innocent:

23Bison
12-13-2020, 03:42 AM

He was probably thinking "LOL this will get those assholes tongues wagging" when he wrote it. :innocent:
:frog::p:howdy:

Twincitybizon
12-13-2020, 02:19 PM

He says that before literally everything he writes

heffray
12-13-2020, 02:26 PM
He says that before literally everything he writes

Now that there is a political forum, probably true actually.

NDSUstudent
12-13-2020, 07:07 PM
I would like to see our leadership state we are actively looking at FBS, do a study and show some level of interest. It is time to push this forward.

bulldogg
12-13-2020, 08:41 PM

Have you all considered independent? We at JMU are feeling the same angst as you hardcore Bison fans about FCS and the disrespect it gets, when in fact, teams that were very recently FCS are now rocking the G5.

Most JMU fans that I know believe that we have to have a conference invite and that simply isn't true as proven by Liberty. We have shown where the cost is practically a wash with a P5 buy game or two. Most cite the difficulty in scheduling as the greatest obstacle. Liberty has also proven that false. And, the more independents, the easier the scheduling because we can play each other. A home and home with the Bizon would be something JMU fans would love to see.

Just food for thought.

Hammerhead
12-13-2020, 09:11 PM
Even though this is a COVID-crazy season, I’m not jumping on the FBS bandwagon if an undefeated Coastal Carolina is not playing in a bowl game on New Year’s weekend.

SDbison
12-13-2020, 09:20 PM
I would like to see our leadership state we are actively looking at FBS, do a study and show some level of interest. It is time to push this forward. But,but, but, PL says its happening, and we are not allowed to think they are doing nothing when the lack of disclosure to the public obviously shows they are doing nothing. To make this move forward it takes hard work and some risk. NDSU's current so called leaders should have to earn their couple hundred thousand dollar a year salaries by doing something. All they do is play it safe and ride the wave until it washes out. They will have moved on before it all collapses. Yep, calling you out Matt L. and Dean B.

tjbison
12-13-2020, 09:40 PM
Have you all considered independent? We at JMU are feeling the same angst as you hardcore Bison fans about FCS and the disrespect it gets, when in fact, teams that were very recently FCS are now rocking the G5.

Most JMU fans that I know believe that we have to have a conference invite and that simply isn't true as proven by Liberty. We have shown where the cost is practically a wash with a P5 buy game or two. Most cite the difficulty in scheduling as the greatest obstacle. Liberty has also proven that false. And, the more independents, the easier the scheduling because we can play each other. A home and home with the Bizon would be something JMU fans would love to see.

Just food for thought.JMU or NDSU do not have the money Liberty does, not a great example

Doesn't JMU already have some of the highest Student fees in the country? How much will the students bear before they stop?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mnriverbison
12-13-2020, 09:43 PM
It needs to happen. I'd rather go to the motor city bowl and I'm not sorry about it.

bulldogg
12-13-2020, 09:56 PM
JMU or NDSU do not have the money Liberty does, not a great example

Doesn't JMU already have some of the highest Student fees in the country? How much will the students bear before they stop?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

IS NDSU getting a ton of money now from MVFC? No! So, what's the difference. Replace the little you get with a buy game or two to cover extra schollies and travel increases.

Yes, Liberty has a ton of dough. They actually pay P5 teams to come to Lynchburg, which is fine. I am not suggesting that you have to do that.

Who cares what JMU's student fees are? JMU is a very popular school and our students are plenty willing to pay for the cost of attendance.

And, I'm not suggesting that NDSU go indy. Just don't discount it as a viable option if, like JMU, you are sitting for over a decade waiting for the perfect conference invite.

By the way, I see the most likely path to FBS for you all as Boise, clearly unhappy in MWC, going indy, which opens a spot for which the Bizon are the perfect candidate. If that doesn't happen, you may be waiting for years for an invite that may never come. Been there, done that. Another option is MAC. Imagine both NDSU and JMU going to the MAC. That would immediately elevate the conference and make it among the better conferences in FBS.