PDA

View Full Version : FCSRecruting Evaluates NDSU's 2011 class

NDSUstudent
03-01-2011, 07:42 PM
A group of people on AGS are trying to evaluate every recruiting class in the FCS. Here are their thoughts on NDSU.

NORTH DAKOTA STATE
33.94 (21%)

QUICK TAKE: The Bison did a nice job of finding projectable, athletic, physical, " football players" with versatility. As expected in a low population state, they had to branch out to neighboring states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Illinois, and tap into ties in Arizona to fill out the class. But make no mistake, the star of the show is home grown, and should have Bison fans eagerly awaiting the next four to five years.

WHAT WE LIKE: Of the 19 players we evaluated, 11 rate as above average in our view, with four rating as premium. We were shocked, surprised and thrilled to find a nugget like QB, Carson Wentz, in this class and feel the sky is the limit as far his upside is concerned. We also really like DE/DT prospects, Josh Lisenby and Joe Horvath, and feel OL Josh Colville has a chance to make an immediate impact if need arises on the offensive line. Danell Miles is a good looking free safety, and we also like safety prospet Frank Veldman. The TE class is solid, with Lucas Albers and Derek Lee. We had mixed opinions on LBs Nick Soliere and DeShawn Dinwiddie, and may be underrating both when it's said and done.

WHAT WE DON'T LIKE: Other than Wentz, we don't see much impact at the skill positions offensively, and we also don't see a great deal of team speed collectively speaking.

RANKING THE BISON RECRUITS
Carson Wentz, QB, 6-5, 205: FCSR Rating: 50 -- Tool package doesn't come much better than this - has all the tools and attributes to develop into an elite FCS QB, and then some - prototype body w/ room to grow - excellent feet, mobility and pocket awareness - big arm, can make all the throws - tight, compact release - accurate on the move, can throw easily to his left, against body - excellent student (4.0, 29 ACT) - we see an NFL prospect and a guy with potential to dominate at FCS level.

Josh Lisenby, DT, 6-2, 236: FCSR Rating: 40 -- Good football player who makes plays - like the motor and ability to run in the open field - versatile enough to play inside or out though somewhat of a tweener physically - must gain significant weight to be viable DT - will he maintain quickness at 270+?? We think he can.

Josh Colville, OL, 6-3, 280: FCSR Rating: 40 -- Good looking OL prospect - an athlete playing OG - strong, physical, athletic build w/ good mass - explosive first step with ability to get out and run - physically speaking, should be able to step in and contribute early if need is there.

Danell Miles, FS, 6-0, 190: FCSR Rating: 40 -- Classic free safety with good size and athleticism for position - rangy, instinctive player with good closing speed and ball skills - shows ability to tackle in open field - plays physical.

Ryan Sanford, QB, 6-2, 180: FCSR Rating: 35 -- Shows some polish - nice footwork/ mobility in and out of pocket - shows ability to throw on the move - throws easy, catchable ball - doesn't possess a gun but arm strength adequate enough to make routine throws - needs to get bigger & stronger but like the upside.

Nick Scoliere, LB, 6-2, 205: FCSR Rating: 35 -- Another good football player with versatility to play multiple positions - projects as OLB - nice length & frame to add weight - shows ability to both cover and rush the passer - good ball skills - questionable raw speed, but adequate enough for projected position.

DeShawn Dinwiddie, LB, 6-2, 215: FCSR Rating: 35 -- Hybrid LB/SS - good present size w/ room to get bigger - like the length - doesn't dominate but has good athleticism and runs well for size - physical player - can cover.

Frank Veldman, SS, 6-4, 190: FCSR Rating: 35 -- Rangy, projectable build - good athlete with skills to play on either side of ball - like the length, range and ball skills...listed as strong safety though we like better at free - would make a quality WR as well.

Joe Horvath, DT, 6-3, 245: FCSR Rating: 35 -- Physically mature - like the energy, motor and first step quickness - a tweener physically, but plays big - if he can get to 270-280 range without losing quickness, could be a steal.

Lucas Albers, TE, 6-6, 240: FCSR Rating: 35 -- Big-framed, wide target w/ deceptive athleticism - extension of offensive line - has frame and athleticism to make for quality OT at some point.

Berkley Grimm, FB, 6-0, 240: FCSR Rating: 35 -- Fits the physical profile of a true fullback - physical, punishing blocker - solid in screen game - runs hard between the tackles - not flashy but type of guy you need in ball control offense.

Jordan Champion, DB, 5-9, 160: FCSR Rating: 30 -- Versatile athlete who projects as corner - evaluated mostly as a Wing-T RB - a bit undersized and speed doesn't overwhelm, but shows good instincts and ability to change direction .

C.J. Smith, CB, 6-0, 175: FCSR Rating: 30 -- Listed as CB, evaluated on video as RB - adequate size & speed to play corner - shows enough footwork, change of direction and ball skills to project average at position.

Andrew Oakland, WR, 6-4, 195: FCSR Rating: 30 -- Solid WR prospect - Nice size and hands - projectable body - not a home run threat but has skills to develop as competent possession receiver.

Joey Sonnenfeld, FS, 6-3, 185: FCSR Rating: 30 -- Limited video but like the frame, length, and athleticism - shows good ball skills - may be be better suited on offensive side of the ball.

Andrew Bonnet, FB/HB, 6-3, 230: FCSR Rating: 30 -- Listed as FB but we're evaluating as TE/HB where we feel he's a better fit - Long, strong, athletic build w/ room for strength gains - deceiving athleticism - doesn't appear very fast, but shows some elusiveness and strength with ball in his hands - solid hands.

Derek Lee, TE, 6-4, 240: FCSR Rating: 30 -- Solid TE prospect - good size w/ frame to add weight - decent speed & route runner.

Matt Jones, RB, 5-10, 200:FCSR Rating: 25-- Solid size w/ limited physical projection - ordinary back.

Lyle Norman, DE, 6-4, 230: FCSR Rating: 25 -- Limited video look but has projectable build - shows decent athleticism but first step quickness & explosiveness appear lacking on video - will definitely have to bulk up to play inside - not sure he has enough fast twitch to play on edge.

Evaluations for other FCS schools can be found here...
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?82032-All-Recruiting-Class-Ratings-Here

NDSUstudent
03-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Here are what the numbers(50, 40, 35, 30, etc) mean...

50 -- Premium, elite recruit...potential 4-year starter from day one...multiple All-Conference selections likely...multiple All-American selections possible...potential Payton/Buchanan candidate/winner at some point in career.

45 -- Premium, elite recruit...potential 4-year starter...multiple All-Conference selections likely...potential All-American...potential Payton/Buchanan candidate.

40 -- Premium, elite recruit...potential to contribute immediately...at least a 3-year starter...potential multiple All-Conference selections...potential All-American.

35 -- Premium Recruit...redshirt year likely...4-year contributor, 3-year starter likely...potential All-Conference selection at some point...potential All-American.

30 -- Solid Average Player...redshirt likely...special teams in R-Fr season, solid backup as R-So...potential 2-year starter...potential All-Conference at some point.

25 -- Quality Program Player...partial scholarship likely...redshirt...contribute on special teams with solid roll as backup...potential starter late in career.

20 -- Program Player...partial scholarship or walk-on...redshirt...contribute on special teams...backup player.

15 -- Program Player...walk-on...good student...redshirt with potential to contribute on special teams at some point in career.

10 -- Program Player...walk on...good student...family has lots of money!!

HandoEX
03-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Matt Jones is a partial scholarship player, huh?

How do the rest of the MVFC teams stack up according to these guys?

BadlandsBison
03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Interesting find. Its especially interesting what these guys say about Carson Wentz. After seeing Coach Polasek's presentation on signing day, I think this class is going to turn out very well. An abundance of "toughness"

NDSUmulligan
03-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Andrew Okland isn't a home run threat, but could be a possession receiver? I don't know a ton about him, but isn't that the exact opposite of what he is? Seemed like he made a ton of big plays.

NDSUstudent
03-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Matt Jones is a partial scholarship player, huh?

How do the rest of the MVFC teams stack up according to these guys?

We are the first MVFC team to be looked at. We did rank higher than Montana and Elon but we were just below William & Mary. Nova so far has the highest rated class.

Only one other recruit from those teams got a 50, so Wentz is in pretty lofty company.

I was also surprised when I saw that about Jones.

THEsocalledfan
03-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Well, if Wentz is so good, what happens to Thorton? Do we see a Bismarck dual? Further, 4mcrue may through a fit it they throw his lap boy asside for Wentz.

I just hope we can find the right QB and the right coach. Also, we seem to have a kid who played okay as a freshman, even if he still needs to improve.

CAS4127
03-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Well, if Wentz is so good, what happens to Thorton? Do we see a Bismarck dual? Further, 4mcrue may through a fit it they throw his lap boy asside for Wentz.

I just hope we can find the right QB and the right coach. Also, we seem to have a kid who played okay as a freshman, even if he still needs to improve.

Did we recruit a coach too!!! Yippie!!http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/fam24.gif

THEsocalledfan
03-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Did we recruit a coach too!!! Yippie!!http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/fam24.gif

I tried not to go SDbison on it, but it did have to be said.

lakesbison
03-01-2011, 09:12 PM
IGNORE THIS JOKE...... HAHAHA

Matt Jones, RB, 5-10, 200:FCSR Rating: 25-- Solid size w/ limited physical projection - ordinary back.

westnodak93bison
03-01-2011, 10:48 PM
If Wentz has as much potential as stated above then why no FBS interest?

NDSUstudent
03-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Wasn't Central Michigan in on him late?

Did he have some injury issues as well? That could have hampered any offers from major schools.

EndZoneQB
03-01-2011, 11:16 PM
If Wentz has as much potential as stated above then why no FBS interest?

Last time I checked Central Michigan is an FBS school. Not to mention, he played QB ONLY his Senior year.

There is no way Jones is only a partial scholarship guy...

DjKyRo
03-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Wasn't Central Michigan in on him late?

He did get an offer from CMU, and as EZQB said this is with ONLY a year of playing QB. If he'd played his whole career who knows where he'd be now.

tjbison
03-01-2011, 11:57 PM
I don't think we should get too uptight about a preview done by some rubes on AGS........I would be willing to bet the East Coast teams will have all world classes all around and the Western teams wont....afterall thats how AGS works:hide:

westnodak93bison
03-01-2011, 11:59 PM
He did get an offer from CMU, and as EZQB said this is with ONLY a year of playing QB. If he'd played his whole career who knows where he'd be now.

I didn't realize CMU offered. Not sure how I missed that.

DjKyRo
03-02-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't think we should get too uptight about a preview done by some rubes on AGS........I would be willing to bet the East Coast teams will have all world classes all around and the Western teams wont....afterall thats how AGS works:hide:

He (or they) have been pretty fair in their views so far and the fact that a ND prospect got the highest rating possible (only one other dude at all so far has that) points to a reasonably unbiased perspective. Wouldn't dismiss it as ECB, but I do raise an eyebrow at the Matt Jones rating. Regardless, pretty cool to read over.

EndZoneQB
03-02-2011, 01:08 AM
He (or they) have been pretty fair in their views so far and the fact that a ND prospect got the highest rating possible (only one other dude at all so far has that) points to a reasonably unbiased perspective. Wouldn't dismiss it as ECB, but I do raise an eyebrow at the Matt Jones rating. Regardless, pretty cool to read over.

Nova had a LEGIT class on paper...but I think some of it has to do with the Big East...

AEBison1998
03-02-2011, 01:32 AM
I think running back styles are a big deal. Jones will run well between the tackles...it appears to me. Not all backs can/will do that. Texas Tech backs and Wisconsin backs don't have the same strengths...and shouldn't. I'm excited about Jones.

I too think Sonnenfeld will play WR and Bonnett will play TE or a combo like Garrett Bruhn.

THEsocalledfan
03-02-2011, 12:19 PM
He (or they) have been pretty fair in their views so far and the fact that a ND prospect got the highest rating possible (only one other dude at all so far has that) points to a reasonably unbiased perspective.

Or they are smoking crack cocaine. Just as likely. I remain skeptical of all skill player recruits from ND until they prove me wrong. It certainly happens, but it just not that common.

THE HERD
03-02-2011, 01:07 PM
When I watched the game film of Wentz....I thought to myself that this kid has all the tools to become a QB like we have never even come close to seeing at NDSU. I believe we got extremely lucky that he played only one season at QB, otherwise he would be on some Big 10 signing list right now. Is he a lock to be that good...no, but the upside and potential is there. Hell by the time he is a senior he will be 6'5" and probably 230 lbs and his arm strength is exceptional.....he can make all the throws and seems to be extremely accurate on the run. If we can put the skill players around him, I think he will leave NDSU will all the passing records. We have a lot of good young talent at the QB position, defenitely more than we have ever had and it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out over the next four years. I do include Jensen in that young talent pool and believe he will improve greatly from last year. One thing is for sure that who ever is starting at the QB position in about three years is going to be a damn good QB, because he will be the one who came out of Jensen, Thorton, Wentz and Stanaford. We could also possibly add the kid out of DL on that list next year.

phxbison
03-02-2011, 02:52 PM
When I watched the game film of Wentz....I thought to myself that this kid has all the tools to become a QB like we have never even come close to seeing at NDSU. I believe we got extremely lucky that he played only one season at QB, otherwise he would be on some Big 10 signing list right now. Is he a lock to be that good...no, but the upside and potential is there. Hell by the time he is a senior he will be 6'5" and probably 230 lbs and his arm strength is exceptional.....he can make all the throws and seems to be extremely accurate on the run. If we can put the skill players around him, I think he will leave NDSU will all the passing records. We have a lot of good young talent at the QB position, defenitely more than we have ever had and it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out over the next four years. I do include Jensen in that young talent pool and believe he will improve greatly from last year. One thing is for sure that who ever is starting at the QB position in about three years is going to be a damn good QB, because he will be the one who came out of Jensen, Thorton, Wentz and Stanaford. We could also possibly add the kid out of DL on that list next year.

I'm glad someone else is seeing what I am seeing ! This kid is an amazing athlete and I am sticking with the prediction I made on 2-11-2011 " 2011 Recruiting Summary". Wentz is going to be AMAZING !!

THEsocalledfan
03-02-2011, 05:51 PM

I won't get my hopes up, but if he is that good, we better have a national title or two. Who cares about passing records. Winning the big game is what is important. (Favre vs. Montana; Marino vs. Brady; etc.)

4mcruenomore
03-02-2011, 06:34 PM
I won't get my hopes up,

The kid hasn't even graduated yet, don't be such a downer!

THE HERD
03-02-2011, 08:04 PM
I won't get my hopes up, but if he is that good, we better have a national title or two. Who cares about passing records. Winning the big game is what is important. (Favre vs. Montana; Marino vs. Brady; etc.)

No s*** the big game is whats important........I'm just not stupid enough to start guaranteeing NC's, because of one player. Although if he does develop into the player I thnk he will be it won't be his fault if we don't bring home a NC. Thanks again for your statement Captain Obvious.

THEsocalledfan
03-03-2011, 12:31 PM
No s*** the big game is whats important........I'm just not stupid enough to start guaranteeing NC's, because of one player. Although if he does develop into the player I thnk he will be it won't be his fault if we don't bring home a NC. Thanks again for your statement Captain Obvious.

I wasn't the one going off, on a kid who never played D1 football, setting passing records.....

You crack me up.

THEsocalledfan
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
The kid hasn't even graduated yet, don't be such a downer!

I alluded to it before, but how are you going to deal with having a western ND man compete with your man Thorton? Are you conflicted?

BisonNeil
03-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Well, I guess I am finally ready to agree with everyone on this site and that is I don't know squat about college football.

From the film I saw on Jones I predicted he would be a star and probably as soon as his second year after his redshirt. I obviously haven't got a clue in evaluating talent :(

CAS4127
03-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Time will tell for all of us, Neil. I have a friend in Phoenix who has seen Jones play several times, and he says Jones is a stud, and my friend played at NDSU, so you would think he has some FB knowledge. For Wentz to be rated so high when he has played QB for only one year makes me wonder how much credibility we can really give this entire ranking. QB's are normally developed over many, many years, oftentimes starting in grade school as you very well know. Again, just makes me wonder!!??

CivilBison96
03-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I could be wrong but I believe Wentz played QB throughout his career with the exception of his Jr. year in which he broke his hand (if I remember correctly) and played WR that year. He just wasn't the starter until his Sr. year.

Kermit
03-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Time will tell for all of us, Neil. I have a friend in Phoenix who has seen Jones play several times, and he says Jones is a stud, and my friend played at NDSU, so you would think he has some FB knowledge. For Wentz to be rated so high when he has played QB for only one year makes me wonder how much credibility we can really give this entire ranking. QB's are normally developed over many, many years, oftentimes starting in grade school as you very well know. Again, just makes me wonder!!??

Frankly, this entire process is ridiculous. These guys are amateurs. They are evaluating highlight video for heaven's sake, not game tape. There is no way that they have any idea about the level of competition or a million other things. I'm sure the guys that did this had fun. Good for them. It should not be taken seriously.

ndsubison1
03-04-2011, 02:51 AM

Im fairly positive Wentz has been a QB for much of his football career. He only played one year of QB in varsity football, not his whole life. He was injured his junior year and his sophomore year he wasnt the starter as he was only 5'10

The Lost Dutchman
03-04-2011, 04:59 AM
IGNORE THIS JOKE...... HAHAHA

Instead of just criticizing it, why don't you tell us why you think it's a joke.

344Johnson
03-04-2011, 01:32 PM
I would chip in on this Matt Jones guy argument if i knew a damn thing about any of our recruits other than Wentz

lakesbison
03-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Puffy, MATT JONES, nuff said.

westnodak93bison
03-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Puffy, MATT JONES, nuff said.

Now that is a detailed answer/explanation. Made the obvious crystal clear to me.

Twentysix
03-04-2011, 10:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jonz12-yDks

Derp..Matt jones looks like a stellar athelete, great balance for a football player too.

4mcruenomore
03-05-2011, 04:44 AM
I alluded to it before, but how are you going to deal with having a western ND man compete with your man Thorton? Are you conflicted?

They are both from western ND, so not really sure what you mean? I will find it AWESOME when the starting QB spot is a competition between 2 Bismarck kids.

Twentysix
03-05-2011, 07:17 AM
They are both from western ND, so not really sure what you mean? I will find it AWESOME when the starting QB spot is a competition between 2 Bismarck kids.

Bismarck is central nd, they care not for the west.

4mcruenomore
03-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Bismarck is central nd, they care not for the west.

?? WDA fyi

sambini
03-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Frankly, this entire process is ridiculous. These guys are amateurs. They are evaluating highlight video for heaven's sake, not game tape. There is no way that they have any idea about the level of competition or a million other things. I'm sure the guys that did this had fun. Good for them. It should not be taken seriously.

Right on Kermit++++ And CAS you are right the boys in AZ know what there talkn about. And the havn 2 QBs from the State of ND IS AWESOME.

Bison09
01-20-2016, 05:48 PM
I had to dig this thread up. I guess you could say these guys were spot on in regards to Carson Wentz. Most of the other players, well that is a different story.

NorthernBison
01-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Some funny comments here after seeing the results.

Any surprise the resident short guy was way wrong?

NDSUstudent
01-20-2016, 06:30 PM
I was just thinking of this a few days but was too lazy to search out the thread. This is definitely an interesting read.

Bisonator98
01-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Lot of a attrition in that class too. But we got some gems!

stevdock
01-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Some funny comments here after seeing the results.

Any surprise the resident short guy was way wrong?

Didn't Matt Jones have to be done due to concussions or some other injuries?? I wouldn't say he was way off though because he was pushing for playing time before the injury issues set in.

El_Chapo
01-20-2016, 07:06 PM
matt jones had concussion issues , he retired.

Derek Lee ended up at Bowling Green and might get drafted at TE. we could've used him this year.

NorthernBison
01-20-2016, 07:12 PM
Didn't Matt Jones have to be done due to concussions or some other injuries?? I wouldn't say he was way off though because he was pushing for playing time before the injury issues set in.
Yeah, that might be correct. Nothing will erase the memory of the "Can't lose GOAT QB Jose Mohler". Touted simply because he was from San Diego and all of us rubes have no idea how fricken good you have to be to play QB at a HS there. I also seem to remember him dismissing a certain LB who ended up wearing #52 because he came from a little Class B town in ND when he showed up on the signing day list. Nobody is right all the time but most of us know our limitations.

Professor Chaos
01-20-2016, 07:28 PM
Only two? :biggrin:

Full disclosure: This was posted on 3/2/2011.

Bisonator98
01-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Only two? :biggrin:

Full disclosure: This was posted on 3/2/2011.

Well he was talking about Wentz so 2 was spot on, just forgot to carry the 3.:biggrin:

THEsocalledfan
01-20-2016, 07:58 PM

I made a lot of dumb statements in this thread (I was still bitter about Eastern Wash. and worried about Vigen, and trying to give 4MCRUE a hard time), but I did get this one statement right.

natstar1
01-20-2016, 08:14 PM
Is there a thread like this for other classes?

X-Factor
01-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Spot on for Wentz. IMO should have been a 4 year starter

tony
01-20-2016, 08:35 PM
Spot on for Wentz. IMO should have been a 4 year starter

Dunno, I can't argue with 5 consecutive national championships.

Plus, it kept him fresh for the NFL. :)

NDSUBowler
01-20-2016, 08:38 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:cheers:

bri-dog
01-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Dunno, I can't argue with 5 consecutive national championships.

Plus, it kept him fresh for the NFL. :)

Yep, lots of different shit could've happened. Worked out about perfect...

BisManBison
01-21-2016, 01:55 PM

And the winner is.....THE HERD absolutely nailed it with this post.

HandoEX
01-21-2016, 02:06 PM

Except the part about adding Joe Mollberg. Haha

phxbison
01-21-2016, 02:51 PM
I remember posting at the time after watching Carson's recruiting tape that it wouldn't be far fetched for him to challenge Brock for the starting quarterback position. Wished I knew how to go back in the archives too retrieve. At the time I remember Lakes saying that my statement might be "the most preposterous statement of the year" !

BisManBison
01-21-2016, 04:07 PM
Except the part about adding Joe Mollberg. Haha

I gave him the benefit of the doubt for saying "probably" and assuming he hadn't seen film on him yet :biggrin:

bisonmike2
01-21-2016, 07:56 PM

Close but not perfect. I don't see any mention of Wentz not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

ndsubison1
01-22-2016, 03:06 AM
I remember posting at the time after watching Carson's recruiting tape that it wouldn't be far fetched for him to challenge Brock for the starting quarterback position. Wished I knew how to go back in the archives too retrieve. At the time I remember Lakes saying that my statement might be "the most preposterous statement of the year" !

Post #449
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?20018-2011-Recruiting-Summary&p=474135#post474135

phxbison
01-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Post #449
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?20018-2011-Recruiting-Summary&p=474135#post474135
Thanks ndsubison1 for retrieving that for me , it was fun to go back and look at what everyone was saying at the time. What I really find interesting is how many of those posters are not posting anymore. A lot of names you don't see anymore that used to be regular posters !