Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: No love for the FCS

Default Re: No love for the FCS

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    Bowl Invite?
    I hope we don't accept, but what if we got an invite? Again, not sure if any FCS team has actually been invited before, but I don't recalll anything like that happening, and I have to think this would give us more National attention than anything we've ever done... maybe?
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

I remember talk like this in 2007. What if we run the table? What if we get a bowl invite? What if they vote us #1 even though we can't play in the playoffs?

We ended that season with a loss to SDSU. I'm convinced it was bad karma for all the hype and smack we talked that year. I really hope we don't repeat that kind of failure this year.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Is this really a possibility? I mean. Has anyone ever done that?

That would be outstanding if we can make it happen, and if we can, I think someone should take a look at the numbers and figure out what kind of point differential it would take...
    @Bold: Speaking of that, have the Undie fans been accusing us again of running up scores??!?!? Remember they did so last year. If they are this year, then they probably should also point the finger at their opponents given the scoring that has been put on their very own dominant defense!!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Time for someone to do this!!!! Where is Lakes when you need him?
    Just say you want to talk about the #1 team in the nation and how they mach up with the other top teams. Do you really think they'll care to ask if you mean Bama and not NDSU?

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Don't get the point of your post......DI is DI , the others are lower classifications. FCS and FBS are subdivisions of DI.
    Yes, technically they are, but no, in reality they are no closer to each other than DII is to FCS. No more reason that an FBS fan should pay attention to FCS than that a FCS fan should pay attention to DII/DIII.

I hope we don't accept, but what if we got an invite? Again, not sure if any FCS team has actually been invited before, but I don't recalll anything like that happening, and I have to think this would give us more National attention than anything we've ever done... maybe?
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Well, yes kind of. I know that it would mean more money for the school, but would playing in a meaningless bowl game get you more pub? Or would rejecting the invite and the winning another FCS Natty be more noteworthy? I don't know... I guess I like the idea of sticking it to the BCS.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Well, yes kind of. I know that it would mean more money for the school, but would playing in a meaningless bowl game get you more pub? Or would rejecting the invite and the winning another FCS Natty be more noteworthy? I don't know... I guess I like the idea of sticking it to the BCS.
    Sorry to bring you back to reality, but the "What if NDSU is invited to a bowl game?" talk falls under the same category as the "What if unicorns eat rainbows and poop butterflies?" talk or even the "What if NDSU is invited to the Super Bow?l" talk.

Here's how a team qualifies for a bowl game:

Selection of InstitutionsAccess
    A bowl game must serve the purpose of providing a national contest between eligible
    teams. The competing institutions shall be active members of the Association, and a member
    institution shall not participate in more than one such game during any academic year.
    Eligible Teams
    An eligible team is defined as one that has won a number of games against Football
    Bowl Subdivision opponents that is equal to or greater than the number of its overall
    losses. [Exception: Each year, a FBS institution may count one victory against a Football
    Championship Subdivision (FCS) opponent that has averaged 90 percent of the permissible
    maximum number of grants-in-aid per year in FCS over a rolling two-year period.]
    I looked over NDSU's 2013 schedule, and I don't see at least 6 FBS teams that NDSU could count as wins.

Now, throw in a couple of the other FBS requirements that NDSU isn't exactly meeting:
    Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home contests against FBS opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.7.2]
    Using my mediocre mathematical skills, 60% of 11 games would require at least 7 games against FBS schools. I only see 1 on the schedule and the 0 FBS home games fall a little short of the 5 that are required.

Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.4-(a)]
    Again with teh math, 90% of 85 is 76.5 scholarships. NDSU has never provided more than 63 since the move to DI.

NDSU does not meet the criteria for being an FBS institution, and even if they did there's a two year reclassification period.

In the current structuring of NCAA football, NDSU will never be invited to a bowl game. Never. Ever.

It's the FCS playoffs for NDSU.

Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Sorry to bring you back to reality, but the "What if NDSU is invited to a bowl game?" talk falls under the same category as the "What if unicorns eat rainbows and poop butterflies?" talk or even the "What if NDSU is invited to the Super Bow?l" talk.

Here's how a team qualifies for a bowl game:

I looked over NDSU's 2013 schedule, and I don't see at least 6 FBS teams that NDSU could count as wins.

Now, throw in a couple of the other FBS requirements that NDSU isn't exactly meeting:

Using my mediocre mathematical skills, 60% of 11 games would require at least 7 games against FBS schools. I only see 1 on the schedule and the 0 FBS home games fall a little short of the 5 that are required.

Again with teh math, 90% of 85 is 76.5 scholarships. NDSU has never provided more than 63 since the move to DI.

NDSU does not meet the criteria for being an FBS institution, and even if they did there's a two year reclassification period.

In the current structuring of NCAA football, NDSU will never be invited to a bowl game. Never. Ever.

It's the FCS playoffs for NDSU.

Yeah, sure, but what if NDSU gets invited to a bowl game? I think they should skip the playoffs and go for the payday.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    Yeah, sure, but what if NDSU gets invited to a bowl game? I think they should skip the playoffs and go for the payday.
    You are Sooooo right. Why the heck would we want to waste 4 games trying to win an NC when we can just go to first bowl that invites us and make a BIG SPLASH.

Note, no purple font was harmed in making this post, but it sure as hell should have been

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA