Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

LefseBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    The problem with this thinking is that people take that to mean ME, not society as a whole. We no longer vote for the greater good/moving society forward, we vote for me. And in some instances, me = me when I am no longer a temporarily embarrassed millionaire(because it wouldn't be fair to ME when I eventually stop making $20/hr and have to pay more taxes).
    Yes - this is a concern because if we cannot look for the greater good/community as a whole, we are never going to get anything new in this town. We are shooting ourselves in the foot with this attitude. This is a sea change in attitude from years ago when people did look out for others and society/the city as a whole. Don't know when this all changed but this is going to be a bearcat to deal with down the road.

"Some people know the price of everything (25 cents per $100) and the value of nothing" (A Reimagined Dome that would transform NDSU, Fargo and beyond). One of the many sayings I like.

I give up.

HerdBot - I do hope you will keep us posted on happenings that you know relative to Plan B. I am really interested in what transpires.

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    Thoughtful comments. You do have financial wisdom.
    1. There is an excellent book which is my second bible "The Millionaire Next Door." If you can get it (used or check out of the library) get it and read it. I had heard about it years ago and found it at a library book sale for $1. It is how my dad (who put the blue in blue collar) lived his life and he taught me well.
    2. LBYM. Another nugget from my dad.
    3. There is good debt and bad debt. Credit card debt is horrible. When I get my credit card bill, within 24 hours, it is in the post office slot at Hornbacher's. Paid in FULL always, always. When I hear about people with $10,000, $30,000 in credit card debt.....
    4. Sounds like you are young. My dad said, "the day you start working is the day you start thinking about and saving for your retirement."
    Red debt: Credit card.
    Black debt: Something that you can still sell and pay off debt (home, car).
    Debt is still bad but black better than red.

I got "work an hour a day for you" advice before first real job.
    Socked 12% (1/8th, one hour, of 8 hour day) of pay into 401k before I ever saw it so I've never missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    Thoughtful comments. You do have financial wisdom.
    1. There is an excellent book which is my second bible "The Millionaire Next Door." If you can get it (used or check out of the library) get it and read it. I had heard about it years ago and found it at a library book sale for $1. It is how my dad (who put the blue in blue collar) lived his life and he taught me well.
    2. LBYM. Another nugget from my dad.
    3. There is good debt and bad debt. Credit card debt is horrible. When I get my credit card bill, within 24 hours, it is in the post office slot at Hornbacher's. Paid in FULL always, always. When I hear about people with $10,000, $30,000 in credit card debt.....
    4. Sounds like you are young. My dad said, "the day you start working is the day you start thinking about and saving for your retirement."
    Careful with #3 there. The bank is giving you an opportunity to turn the tables on them and collect the float. They are counting on you to not pay in full. Do that absolutely but not until the due date. Let the payment sit in an interest bearing account until that day. Right now I have money market accounts paying north of 5%. I try to time my larger purchases to be in the day or two immediately following the credit card due date. In this way I get nearly 60 days of float on the bank’s money!
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Red debt: Credit card.
    Black debt: Something that you can still sell and pay off debt (home, car).
    Debt is still bad but black better than red.

I got "work an hour a day for you" advice before first real job.
    Socked 12% (1/8th, one hour, of 8 hour day) of pay into 401k before I ever saw it so I've never missed it.
    What if I use my credit card to buy a car?*

* most dealers will not let you pay the whole thing this way due to merchant fees.

There was a voting spot at the Fargodome, correct. How did NDSU not get all the students to go over and vote, hopefully yes on it. Or was there more than the normal 30 days of being a resident requirement to vote on this?
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    There was a voting spot at the Fargodome, correct. How did NDSU not get all the students to go over and vote, hopefully yes on it. Or was there more than the normal 30 days of being a resident requirement to vote on this?
    30 days residency.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Don't you vote where your parents live during college?

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    30 days residency.
    Really no excuse this did not pass then. Major fail..................
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Careful with #3 there. The bank is giving you an opportunity to turn the tables on them and collect the float. They are counting on you to not pay in full. Do that absolutely but not until the due date. Let the payment sit in an interest bearing account until that day. Right now I have money market accounts paying north of 5%. I try to time my larger purchases to be in the day or two immediately following the credit card due date. In this way I get nearly 60 days of float on the bank’s money!
    I understand what you are saying to a degree but if the due date is 12 days henceforth and the bank employees or whomever they outsource their work to down in St. Louis, do not "get around" to processing my check for a few days, then I worry about missing the due date.

By the way, I am having some deju va. You are the poster who uses a lot of on-line and computer banking stuff so maybe it is easier for you to do all of this shrewd (in a good way) manipulation of your account. I get my bill in the mail, I check it off against my paper receipts, write the check, enter into ledger and mail via USPS.

If you do things your way, sounds like a good plan. You obviously are very smart with your money. My bankers have tried hard to get me to do some kind of on-line banking stuff but I am old school and do everything the same way people did decades ago.