Page 270 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 1702202602682692702712722803203707701270 ... LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    We have a pretty small alumni base relatively speaking. Thousands aren’t traveling on a consistent basis. That’s all I’m saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm with ya.

I dont turn on a football game on Saturday afternoon whether it's a home game or a road game and wonder "did enough road team fans show up?!?"

Totally get the whole "I like being able to drive to road games" thing but that would be a weird sticking point to opposing FBS. There was a time not so long ago when people were fine moving to FCS despite games being further away, wasnt NDSU hoping to join the freakin' Big Sky?

Mountain West would be cool. If the school took another step up and did well there, could be a new launching point for later hypothetically I suppose.
    College of Business Alumnus

NDSU would be behind on facilities. Go look at South Alabamas IPF on NFL Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Denver?

Fort Collins is about an hour away from Denver. It's a really cool college town but people would also use the opportunity to do Denver, Mountains, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    Fort Collins is about an hour away from Denver. It's a really cool college town but people would also use the opportunity to do Denver, Mountains, etc.
    Yep, basically the same difference between Denver and Colorado Springs, especially since the USAFA is on the North side just across I-25 from the MW office building (I drive by it pretty much every time I go to bri-dog's watch parties). However, the enthusiasm for both teams isn't that great.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Yep, basically the same difference between Denver and Colorado Springs, especially since the USAFA is on the North side just across I-25 from the MW office building (I drive by it pretty much every time I go to bri-dog's watch parties). However, the enthusiasm for both teams isn't that great.
    Not sure why enthusiasm would be too important. If NDSU got Rutgers on the schedule a lot of people would use it as an excuse to visit NYC or Philly.

MWC has some neat destinations to check out and some real stinkers too.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Not sure why enthusiasm would be too important. If NDSU got Rutgers on the schedule a lot of people would use it as an excuse to visit NYC or Philly.

MWC has some neat destinations to check out and some real stinkers too.
    The enthusiasm of both fanbases suck, that's important.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I am guessing they have contingency plans in case things blow up suddenly and so forth. I’m just saying that they’ve told us that this is not something they are pursuing. Nothing would make me happier than to find out that’s just what they had to say publicly and in fact they’ve been doing much more behind the scenes.
    Gene Taylor's was quoted as saying they had talked to the mwc in regard to adding teams and expansion if it were to happen he wanted ndsu to be in the conversation.. so yes it has been talked about. You can also bet all of that information has been passed on to Matt. You can also bet tha Matt and ndsu know exactly what it takes to make the move.
    One must also remember that ADs are one one big fraternity and they all know each other and talk.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

The only way I see NDSU being able to make it happen is with the Fargodome for at least another 10 years and getting the full conference TV share from the beginning. Kind of like taking Boise State's spot as a full member. Then, is it even feasible to jump in as an all-sports member? Can NDSU be Hawaii east and go football only? The Summit is probably a much better footprint and timezone-wise for travel. Does dominance pave the way to P5? Could a decade of dominating the MWC lead to a Big 12 invite? If it does, will the state get on board with this? There is barely any way the MWC could happen without more support from the state but there is no way anything larger would happen without the state's support. This could look like un_ moving back down in all sports to support one big time D1 facility in the state.

The one thing that can't be lost in all of this is NDSU is one of only a handful of programs on any level that is as close to self-sustainment in athletics as possible for a state school. If there was any kind of move, this could possibly upset this balance. It is feasible NDSU could ride this train for a long time of dominating FCS and being semi-profitable in doing so. Even if it gets boring, people are still buying season tickets. I don't see that dropping off anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I am guessing they have contingency plans in case things blow up suddenly and so forth. I’m just saying that they’ve told us that this is not something they are pursuing. Nothing would make me happier than to find out that’s just what they had to say publicly and in fact they’ve been doing much more behind the scenes.
    I fully expect NDSU will be completely silent on the subject until when/if any deal is done. To start talking about it publicly would destabilize the Summit, which NDSU does not want to do in case any FBS talks would fall through. NDSU needs the Summit to stay healthy and as stable as possible right up until the moment a new conference deal is inked. With that in mind, I would suggest that no news on the subject means nothing either way.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    That’s just it. Boise leaves and there’s the most appealing conference mate. Outside of that there isn’t a team that most casual has a clue about.

We have traveled well to Frisco and our FBS games but there’s no way our fan base travels that well week in week out as a whole when games are +1000 miles away.

Exactly........
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."