Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Rules Survey

Default Re: NCAA Rules Survey

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    https://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-o...204656232.html
    NCAA officially changes rules on kickoffs for 2018

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    The NCAA just removed the importance of coffin corner punters. Returners will now not be afraid to catch balls close to the end zone. It's a damn shame imo.

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HazenBizon View Post
    The NCAA just removed the importance of coffin corner punters. Returners will now not be afraid to catch balls close to the end zone. It's a damn shame imo.
    That is not what the rule says. The rule is for kickoffs.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
    That is not what the rule says. The rule is for kickoffs.
    Correct. Kickoffs only. And guys will still return them. They do today out of the end zone so why wouldn't they at the 10? I do think you'll see more touchbacks but it won't eliminate them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Correct. Kickoffs only. And guys will still return them. They do today out of the end zone so why wouldn't they at the 10? I do think you'll see more touchbacks but it won't eliminate them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Well, I misread the rule. Thans for correcting me.

How many returners are going to fair catch at the 10 yard line thinking thry cant get a 15 yard return? Kickoffs are different then punts. There is usually nota lot of defenders around a returner when he catches it. Guys still take it out of the endzone despite the 25 yard line touchback. I just dont see this happening a lot. What it does do is take away the skill of kickers that can make returners field the kick inside the 5.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    How many returners are going to fair catch at the 10 yard line thinking thry cant get a 15 yard return? Kickoffs are different then punts. There is usually nota lot of defenders around a returner when he catches it. Guys still take it out of the endzone despite the 25 yard line touchback. I just dont see this happening a lot. What it does do is take away the skill of kickers that can make returners field the kick inside the 5.
    Correct. I see this mostly having an impact on the kickers that can place it inside the 5 forcing the return. Teams may opt for the touchback instead if having to return a kick outside the hash inside the 5.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Will this deter teams much from actually returning it? Seems like teams would just return it anyways in most circumstances. I can see fair catching it with little clock left though.

Will we see more squib kicks? Of course if you position it in the corner, you run the risk of starting at the 40. Or can they still fair catch a squib?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Will we see more squib kicks? Of course if you position it in the corner, you run the risk of starting at the 40. Or can they still fair catch a squib?
    From what I remember, you cannot call a fair catch on a kick that has already touched the ground which is why onside kicks usually get bounced off the ground right away.
    It's OK to not be OK.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    From what I remember, you cannot call a fair catch on a kick that has already touched the ground which is why onside kicks usually get bounced off the ground right away.
    I remember we have done it on some punts where the ball has bounced first. Don't recall on kickoffs though.