Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Group of 5 officials considering playoff for non-Power 5 teams

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Group of 5 officials considering playoff for non-Power 5 teams

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    The problem with FCS is having the requirement football has to be D1 for other sports to be D1. So for 50% of FCS, it is the hobby subdivision. They don't want to invest a single dime into football more than they have to but want to have football. It has to be D1, so there we have FCS. The G5 conference schools want football, want to fund football, and are somewhat serious about putting a decent product out there or they would have gone to FCS a long time ago. The middle ground is to disconnect football from the D1 requirement for the other sports, let the scholarship capable mid-majors have their own division of football which would be a mix of the top tier of FCS and the G5 conferences, and let the schools who don't want to offer scholarships for football or reduce scholarships, play at lower divisions.

It won't work unless the G5 conferences fully realize they are not at the big boy table. It also won't work if the G5 thinks they are a super subdivision who can play alongside the big boys with premium budgets. I have said it before, but I think the future of G5 and the top schools in FCS is someplace in the middle of the two where they are not trying to match the P5 conferences dollar wise and create their own brand. Maybe it is 75 scholarships split between the 85 on the roster to save some costs. I don't know. But it will have to be a little leaner. I don't think it would drop all the way to the FCS level because too many schools would complain about what happened to Richmond and NDSU when they started getting some injuries. More Richmond, but NDSU hurt, as well. There was an issue with experienced depth or talent that a few more scholarships would have helped mitigate from the FCS level. 10 scholarships with COA and doubling it because of Title IX is somewhere in the range of $300k+.

I have also said before the G5 conferences are sitting in no man's land right now. One school gets to compete in a big boy bowl. That school isn't necessarily the best program, but the best combination of schedule and talent. You have to be good, but if you are in a weaker conference and go undefeated because you carefully selected your OOC schools, you are golden. Western Michigan had an easier schedule than NDSU this season. It isn't W.Michigan's fault two of the B10 schools they scheduled sucked really bad this year, but it goes to show you the right schedule is as important as the quality of your football team. The rest of the G5 gets the really moldy cheese regardless if they are possibly better than the Broncos.
    The MAC hasn't won a bowl game yet this year 0-5, W Mich is going to get destroyed imo..

The problem with FCS is having the requirement football has to be D1 for other sports to be D1. So for 50% of FCS, it is the hobby subdivision. They don't want to invest a single dime into football more than they have to but want to have football. It has to be D1, so there we have FCS. The G5 conference schools want football, want to fund football, and are somewhat serious about putting a decent product out there or they would have gone to FCS a long time ago. The middle ground is to disconnect football from the D1 requirement for the other sports, let the scholarship capable mid-majors have their own division of football which would be a mix of the top tier of FCS and the G5 conferences, and let the schools who don't want to offer scholarships for football or reduce scholarships, play at lower divisions.

It won't work unless the G5 conferences fully realize they are not at the big boy table. It also won't work if the G5 thinks they are a super subdivision who can play alongside the big boys with premium budgets. I have said it before, but I think the future of G5 and the top schools in FCS is someplace in the middle of the two where they are not trying to match the P5 conferences dollar wise and create their own brand. Maybe it is 75 scholarships split between the 85 on the roster to save some costs. I don't know. But it will have to be a little leaner. I don't think it would drop all the way to the FCS level because too many schools would complain about what happened to Richmond and NDSU when they started getting some injuries. More Richmond, but NDSU hurt, as well. There was an issue with experienced depth or talent that a few more scholarships would have helped mitigate from the FCS level. 10 scholarships with COA and doubling it because of Title IX is somewhere in the range of $300k+.

I have also said before the G5 conferences are sitting in no man's land right now. One school gets to compete in a big boy bowl. That school isn't necessarily the best program, but the best combination of schedule and talent. You have to be good, but if you are in a weaker conference and go undefeated because you carefully selected your OOC schools, you are golden. Western Michigan had an easier schedule than NDSU this season. It isn't W.Michigan's fault two of the B10 schools they scheduled sucked really bad this year, but it goes to show you the right schedule is as important as the quality of your football team. The rest of the G5 gets the really moldy cheese regardless if they are possibly better than the Broncos.

Well said.. I think the only reason the G5 is hanging on is their conference tie ins to the crappy bowl games with an outside chance of a new years day game. Plus the play off TV money.
    99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999 to the 100th power percent of the time they have no chance at the big boy playoffs..
    Last edited by 56BISON73; 01-02-2017 at 12:30 AM.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Obviously, I think we would all enjoy a higher level of competition, and I think we all have at least SOME understanding that "moving up" is a very complicated, and unlikely as well (even if some would like to move up). As soon as the G5 stops pretending they're not football-illiterate compared to the P5, I think they, as well as us can have everything we desire- More competitive football with more regional teams and/or rivalries, with a meaningful playoff system.

But all of this relies on the G5 not being idiots..... I wouldn't hold my breath.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Obviously, I think we would all enjoy a higher level of competition, and I think we all have at least SOME understanding that "moving up" is a very complicated, and unlikely as well (even if some would like to move up). As soon as the G5 stops pretending they're not football-illiterate compared to the P5, I think they, as well as us can have everything we desire- More competitive football with more regional teams and/or rivalries, with a meaningful playoff system.

But all of this relies on the G5 not being idiots..... I wouldn't hold my breath.
    If the other G5 officials are anything like the Mountain West officials I spoke to last Summer, we could be waiting for awhile for them to wisen up. I predict that happens around the time they get the short end of the stick in regards to TV contracts.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The P5 is having their cake and eating it too. They have the G5 around for OOC games to bolster their records. Why does anything need to change for the P5? They are taking 95% of the money. Do they need 100%?

It's the G5 that will bring the change if it ever comes. They will someday realize that they are getting crumbs, and deserve better. Or they'll realize that the investment is too high for what they receive. However, their will always be regular season games featuring P5 vs. G5, unless some P5 schools will be satisfied with regular 2 win seasons. G5 games = wins for the P5.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    The P5 is having their cake and eating it too. They have the G5 around for OOC games to bolster their records. Why does anything need to change for the P5? They are taking 95% of the money. Do they need 100%?

It's the G5 that will bring the change if it ever comes. They will someday realize that they are getting crumbs, and deserve better. Or they'll realize that the investment is too high for what they receive. However, their will always be regular season games featuring P5 vs. G5, unless some P5 schools will be satisfied with regular 2 win seasons. G5 games = wins for the P5.
    I think they realize it now; it is just that until the money runs out, the crumbs are still pretty lucrative.

I think they realize it now; it is just that until the money runs out, the crumbs are still pretty lucrative.
    You're right. However when the P5 tv contracts re-up, I think the advirtisiers will realize how bum of a deal they got investing in FunBelt, CUSA, MAC football etc. I am no TV exec but there is no way those conferences TV rights were nearly as valuable as they were purchased for. When those get cut in HALF... I'd imagine the G5 may have to recount their pennies and look for a new strategy.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    You're right. However when the P5 tv contracts re-up, I think the advirtisiers will realize how bum of a deal they got investing in FunBelt, CUSA, MAC football etc. I am no TV exec but there is no way those conferences TV rights were nearly as valuable as they were purchased for. When those get cut in HALF... I'd imagine the G5 may have to recount their pennies and look for a new strategy.
    This is the same reason there may not always be G5vP5 games. TV drives he bus and advertisers want premium matchups.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

https://www.sbnation.com/a/college-f...sioner/pro-rel

I like this quote – “In that latest article’s 2005-2015 simulation, FCS dynasty North Dakota State has risen all the way into the Big Ten’s Tier I, and it’ll stay there until it finishes last in the conference. (Since NDSU beat Iowa in the real 2016, that’ll probably be a while.)”