Page 70 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast

Thread: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

Default Re: Fargodome officials consider adding seats/BEER for Bison games

Quote Originally Posted by Greta Van Herd View Post
    If that is true, it would make it hard to reconcile that thought process with allowing alcohol-approved tailgating areas to continue, and, in fact, even expand as it did this year for softball and is expanding next year (this coming year) for football.
    As far as tailgating itself goes the genie is out of the bottle and was going on about six years before he arrived. In terms of the rest, you raise a good point and I do not know. What money is being made is for renting a spot and not the sale of alcohol even though more than likely alcohol will be consumed. As I said, I am only speculating why he is against alcohol being served at athletic events. If I had to bet the farm I would still lay money on his background and overall view of things as the hang-up.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    What distributor would provide service to the stadium if they started selling beer? Often there are hidden issues related to who would get the contract and how much they would make off of it. I continue to be amazed at how poor the service is at most concession stands. How hard is it for somebody to act like there is money to be made. Seems like it would be good for a distributor to make a public statement about their interest to get the ball rolling and put some pressure on the administration.
    The concession stands at the FD are run by volunteer organizations to make money. So by the time these kids get the hang of it the season is over. At other places its not like the job is a career path. Its all part time. Best place Ive ever seen was the KC Royals. The people who worked the concession stands were a lot of fun and effecient.

Lambeau is pretty good also.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

If that is true, it would make it hard to reconcile that thought process with allowing alcohol-approved tailgating areas to continue, and, in fact, even expand as it did this year for softball and is expanding next year (this coming year) for football.
    The expansion involved TM members. Not students.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

So if yours is NOT a guesstimate, then it must be fact. NDSU will make $250k per year on alcohol sales at the Fargodome. Sounds good to me.

Also, please show me in Pat’s post where Taylor said it wouldn’t be profitable. He did say it wouldn’t be worth the benefits, and I can respect that, but surely even you know the difference between those two concepts.
    I made an estimation based on facts. Guessing or guesswork wasn’t involved.

NDSU making $250,000/year? I’m pretty sure I used the word “generate” because the article that used tOSU’s data emphasized that word. The article didn’t say if the amount brought in was before after costs.

In regards to Taylor’s statement, if something isn’t worth it, then that pretty much means the revenue is less than the cost and consequences. Gene is a pretty smart guy and did a great job of putting NDSU on the right path. I wouldn’t question his decision making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    What distributor would provide service to the stadium if they started selling beer? Often there are hidden issues related to who would get the contract and how much they would make off of it. I continue to be amazed at how poor the service is at most concession stands. How hard is it for somebody to act like there is money to be made. Seems like it would be good for a distributor to make a public statement about their interest to get the ball rolling and put some pressure on the administration.
    Bergseth Bros are huge NDSU fans. Lets go
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    I thought about posting this under unpopular opinions, but I'll just post it here instead. I by no means know why the President has taken the stance that he has. but I'll speculate anyway. Some may not know that he came from Texas A&M where he was the Vice President for Student Affairs. Those with that background have a different way of looking at the world. Specifically, alcohol on University campuses is viewed as a huge problem. This is from a Forbes article in December of last year.

"More than a third of college students report they engaged in binge drinking in the prior month;
    About 20% of college students meet the diagnostic criteria for alcohol use disorder;
    A quarter of college students report adverse academic consequences as a result of drinking;
    Alcohol is a factor in almost 700,000 sexual assaults involving students each year;
    More than 1800 college students die annually from alcohol-related injuries."

This is what the author concludes:

"No one would suggest that selling beer throughout college stadiums on Saturday afternoons is the main culprit behind campus drinking problems. But college leaders who adopt such a policy need to recognize that they are sending an unhelpful, mixed message to students."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#2bb2b8a16259

Stats on binge drinking is a meaningless discussion unless you're a prohibitionist.

Why do people here choose to binge drink is the better question.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The expansion involved TM members. Not students.
    Yes, of course. But I do think it is significant that NDSU approved alcohol tailgating in what is clearly an NDSU Lot (NQ) for general admission tailgating (as opposed to what are technically city Fargodome lots on NDSU land).

That lot (NQ) is not a TM lot and it would never have been approved without DB’s blessing.

NDSU students certainly can be general admission tailgaters in Lot NQ and partake in alcoholic beverages in Lot NQ if they are of age (wink) with the blessing of the school. DB himself had to give the ultimate approval for that.

Yes, of course. But I do think it is significant that NDSU approved alcohol tailgating in what is clearly an NDSU Lot (NQ) for general admission tailgating (as opposed to what are technically city Fargodome lots on NDSU land).

That lot (NQ) is not a TM lot and it would never have been approved without DB’s blessing.

NDSU students certainly can be general admission tailgaters in Lot NQ and partake in alcoholic beverages in Lot NQ if they are of age (wink) with the blessing of the school. DB himself had to give the ultimate approval for that.
    Over the last few years general admission tailgate spots have been reduced and TM reserved has been added in west lots by taking the GM spots...

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Over the last few years general admission tailgate spots have been reduced and TM reserved has been added in west lots by taking the GM spots...
    He's right though that GA tailgating has been extended into non Fargodome lots. That's an indication DB isn't totally against the expansion of alcohol consumption at football games.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I made an estimation based on facts. Guessing or guesswork wasn’t involved.

NDSU making $250,000/year? I’m pretty sure I used the word “generate” because the article that used tOSU’s data emphasized that word. The article didn’t say if the amount brought in was before after costs.

In regards to Taylor’s statement, if something isn’t worth it, then that pretty much means the revenue is less than the cost and consequences. Gene is a pretty smart guy and did a great job of putting NDSU on the right path. I wouldn’t question his decision making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe back then, the NDSU cut was too small. As far as I know, NDSU currently gets 0% of vendor sales. So maybe beer they offered some low ball number.

I can say with confidence, most venues pay promoters roughly 30% of the gross alcohol sales and they provide the liquor license, infastructure, employees, etc.

Anything less than 30% is significantly below what anyone who rents a facility would get.

So assume its 30% of the gross revenue

2000 beers × $8 = 16,000 per game x 30% = $4800 per game

x 6 home games = $28,800
    × 8 home games = $38,400
    × 10 home games = $48,000

Of course thars assuming we end up at a uber conservative low 2k beers... up that 4,000 or 6,000 or the Lakes 10,000 beers per game, that is pretty significant

So either the dome is offering NDSU below market payouts or an extra 50-150 grand is chump change to NDSU Athletics

Since our program is healthy and generates some good money, I could see why GT didnt jump on it. Especially if they offered some lame 5-10% payout which gives NDSU zero reason to do it.

Probably something to keep in our back pocket for some down revenue times

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com