Page 14 of 175 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Default Re: Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Just a theory I have as a random fan:

I think another aspect affecting these transfers might be the emotional ROI, or lack thereof, based on the physical toll of playing football at NDSU. I think it was on the Benchwarmers podcast where they were said that nobody is more invested in keeping the championship train going than the current players. No one wants to be part of the team that derails that train and that's a huge motivating factor contributing to the sustained dominance NDSU football has had over the FCS in the last 10+ years.

That said, I wonder if the "is this all there is?" attitude towards FCS dominance and national championships that has proliferated a good number of fans has also seeped into some of the players? Imagine the work these guys have to put in year-in-year-out and when they achieve their ultimate goal of winning a national championship it feels like as much of a relief as it does an accomplishment. And then for the underclassmen they know next year they've got to do it all over again. I think some guys feed off of that but I'm guessing it's a physical and emotional drain on others and that emotional drain is probably not something the players from the early 2010s dealt with as much being the championship trailblazers they were.
    When you come to NDSU you make a commitment. Its going to be very very hard emotionally and physically. So it comes down to how mentally tough you are.
    Not everyone can do it. Its not easy for a reason. If you cant handle it is best you just go on your way.

No need to have exit interviews etc to find out why they left as that would lend itself to changing what works for somebodies feelings.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    When you come to NDSU you make a commitment. Its going to be very very hard emotionally and physically. So it comes down to how mentally tough you are.
    Not everyone can do it. Its not easy for a reason. If you cant handle it is best you just go on your way.

No need to have exit interviews etc to find out why they left as that would lend itself to changing what works for somebodies feelings.
    Exactly. I’ll admit I was a bit down on Bussey/The Bus, but renewed respect for him.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Exactly. I’ll admit I was a bit down on Bussey/The Bus, but renewed respect for him.
    Hard not to root for the MiniBus. His attitude is contagious.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Hard not to root for the MiniBus. His attitude is contagious.
    Agreed! I’m wondering if his injury at AZ has hindered him a bit. Also kinda excited for him to get carries in POs given what I saw late UND game.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post

That makes sense. I just wonder if the joy of winning championships for the players isn't what they'd expect (and isn't what it used to be) since that's the absolute expectation??? I know we've always said championships are the expectation at NDSU but there's a lot of programs that say that... at NDSU it really is the expectation and it really is abject failure at this point to not finish at the top of the heap. It's literally impossible to overachieve as a team. That has to be a mental drain that, like you said, not everyone is cut out for and very few high school recruits have been mentally tested in that regard like they will be when they get here. That's a unique challenge NDSU coaches have when looking at the character of the kids they're recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    That makes sense. I just wonder if the joy of winning championships for the players isn't what they'd expect (and isn't what it used to be) since that's the absolute expectation??? I know we've always said championships are the expectation at NDSU but there's a lot of programs that say that... at NDSU it really is the expectation and it really is abject failure at this point to not finish at the top of the heap. It's literally impossible to overachieve as a team. That has to be a mental drain that, like you said, not everyone is cut out for and very few high school recruits have been mentally tested in that regard like they will be when they get here. That's a unique challenge NDSU coaches have when looking at the character of the kids they're recruiting.
    The adversity this team is facing, with injuries, portal and other “noise” should be motivating. They are playing with less than a full deck, and they know that. We’ll see what happens.

Go Bison!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    The adversity this team is facing, with injuries, portal and other “noise” should be motivating. They are playing with less than a full deck, and they know that. We’ll see what happens.

Go Bison!
    Most people here don't appreciate how hard it is to do what the Bison have done. You have a unique perspective that most of us never will.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Most people here don't appreciate how hard it is to do what the Bison have done. You have a unique perspective that most of us never will.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    When the opening kickoff happens, all they want to do is play well and win. They aren’t thinking about who is and or isn’t on the field, sidelines or in the portal. I, myself, loooose track of/forget about that aspect of things at times.
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO

If I remember correctly Hart stumbled a lit bit right after he caught the pass. I think that was enough for him to be caught from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    That is what stood out to me too. He had a huge cushion and was run down by 2 db. No wr should be caught from behind on that play. Dude is sloooow. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a good receiver but he big time lacks speed.
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

Entz has said many times that this is a team oriented program that is interested in the success of the program not individual accolades. They rotate players to keep them fresh and some players probably believe they should play every snap. The Bison never submit any players for the FCS Analyst weekly awards. Cam Miller ran for 5 TD's and he wasn't even mentioned in the weekly awards. National Championships are more important than individual awards. It is about the name on the front of the jersey not the name on the back of the jersey. Go Bison!

Quote Originally Posted by bstark28 View Post
    Not sure how it is ignorant....wouldn't the AD want to try and gather some inside information as to the reasoning as to why some of these underclassmen, who are playing meaningful snaps, are leaving mid-year? Is it a culture thing, are there conflicts in coaching philosophies and how these players feel they should be utilized, are there personal issues in which some of these kids just want to be closer to home, etc.

I never once said that it is an issue that falls solely on NDSU....I am well aware of the current state of the FCS/FBS in players entering the transfer portal for whatever reason; however, my point was the kids deciding to leave aren't 3rd, 4th, 5th string guys who are buried on the depth chart (Sproles, Hart, Sigle to be specific)...they are either starting or playing extensive minutes for the team.
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!