Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Building Boom

Default Summit League Building Boom

Just thought I would highlight some of the Arena projects across the Summit League....The SHAC is not the only project...

IUPUI(Pepsi Coliseum)

Upon completion, the Coliseum is expected to seat 6,841 guests for basketball and will include fully renovated locker rooms, a suspended state-of-the-art double ribbon video board and hospitality options throughout fully updated concourses.
    http://news.iupui.edu/releases/2013/...coliseum.shtml

USD(Not named yet)

This $53 million athletics project will include an arena, basketball practice facility, track and soccer field. Capacity for the basketball/volleyball arena will be 6,000 seats. There will be a science research facility that will link the basketball facility to the Dakota dome. As of December 2013 USD still needed to raise $9.5 in order to get construction started, the school hopes to break ground in the spring.

Omaha(Not named yet)

The $87.9 million arena to be built at 67th and Center Streets would seat between 7,000 and 7,500 fans. Officials say it will provide an on-campus home for hockey and the school’s emerging Division I basketball and volleyball programs, add to campus recreation opportunities, reconnect alums, provide public exposure to the campus, and in the end help the university reach its ambitious goal to grow enrollment from 15,000 to 20,000.
    http://sports.omaha.com/2013/09/27/v.../#.UvHFOvldWHs

Just to compare...

NDSU(Scheels Center at the SHAC)

Sanford Health Athletic Complex
    1600 University Drive North
    Fargo, ND 58102
    Groundbreaking: Spring 2014
    Opening Date: Winter 2016
    Features:
    Scheels Center basketball arena
    Shelly Ellig indoor track and field facility
    14,500 sq. ft. basketball training facility
    15,000 sq. ft. performance training center
    2,000 sq. ft. Hall of Fame display
    Team store
    Basketball capacity: 5,945
    Courtside: 73
    Bowl chairs: 2,119
    Bowl bench seating: 1,779
    Club seats: 123
    Upper level chairs: 1,851 (existing)
    http://www.gobison.com/sports/2013/6/6/edge.aspx

Default Re: Summit League Building Boom

Hockey arenas eh...
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Hockey arenas eh...
    the UNO setup looks ridiculous. I like the others. We have to keep making improvements. Indoor Practice Facilities... upgraded locker rooms... fix the damn bleachers at Dacotah Field...

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I didn't even know the Yotes were thinking of a new arena. It is good the Summit schools are improving the facilities. Better recruits will lead to better teams top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Hockey arenas eh...
    Basketball works "ok" in a hockey arena, but rather than knocking the IUPUI and UNO facilities, let's first ask what the existing facilities are. The IUPUI Gymnasium is not a D1 facility, and the UNO Mavericks actually already in a hockey arena. Away from campus. And that is still a huge upgrade over the gym that UNO played at just a couple of years ago.

So even if the hockey arenas aren't ideal, they're still leaps and bounds better than what both schools formerly had.

Quote Originally Posted by riceweb View Post
    Basketball works "ok" in a hockey arena, but rather than knocking the IUPUI and UNO facilities, let's first ask what the existing facilities are. The IUPUI Gymnasium is not a D1 facility, and the UNO Mavericks actually already in a hockey arena. Away from campus. And that is still a huge upgrade over the gym that UNO played at just a couple of years ago.

So even if the hockey arenas aren't ideal, they're still leaps and bounds better than what both schools formerly had.
    IUPUI would look better if the boards weren't there. I mean, even the Target Center has space on the floor behind the basket. UNO's looks ridiculous, why does it seem so much more open behind the hoop? That looks bad IMO.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm still curious to see what the Coliseum does for IUPUI. They may be providing some of the money for the project but I'm sure the state is paying for most of it since it's a multi-use facility at the state fairgrounds. It used primarily like the All Seasons Arena in Minot (is it still called that?). They have minor league/junior hockey there. They have used it for public skating although this project has built a separate rink they are using for public skating. The horse shows during the state fair are here. They used to have concerts here (one of the Beatles last concerts was here). The Pacers played here in their ABA days. It was very outdated so they gutted the interior to rebuild it. It looks like it will be a very nice facility.

How much it benefits IUPUI remains to be seen. I've heard a couple interviews on local talk radio with IUPUI officials and they expect it to help significantly. They are banking on the fact it will be an impressive facility for recruits to see. That is true, but it's several miles from campus and I don't see students going that far to see a game. I also don't see it generating enough interest from the general public unless they become a program that is in the tournament on a regular basis. Butler is a residential campus with a very engaged alumni base but they struggles to draw many fans to a very cool arena until a few years ago. I don't see IUPUI averaging more than 1500 people which is still a big upgrade from what they do today.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    How much it benefits IUPUI remains to be seen. I've heard a couple interviews on local talk radio with IUPUI officials and they expect it to help significantly. They are banking on the fact it will be an impressive facility for recruits to see. That is true, but it's several miles from campus and I don't see students going that far to see a game. I also don't see it generating enough interest from the general public unless they become a program that is in the tournament on a regular basis. Butler is a residential campus with a very engaged alumni base but they struggles to draw many fans to a very cool arena until a few years ago. I don't see IUPUI averaging more than 1500 people which is still a big upgrade from what they do today.
    Sounds like UNO's situation right now, where they play in the Ralston Arena, several miles from campus. It's still better than their on-campus gymnasium which had absolutely no parking, but I don't believe the Ralston Arena has been in any way a "game changer" like the new on-campus arena is expected to be (even if it has poor sight lines thanks to the hockey primary purpose)

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    It used primarily like the All Seasons Arena in Minot (is it still called that?).
    Believe there is still a portion called All Seasons Arena, the whole facility is called ND State Fair Center I believe now as they've added on a few items over the years, but I can be wrong haven't been there in 15 years probably.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by riceweb View Post
    Sounds like UNO's situation right now, where they play in the Ralston Arena, several miles from campus. It's still better than their on-campus gymnasium which had absolutely no parking, but I don't believe the Ralston Arena has been in any way a "game changer" like the new on-campus arena is expected to be (even if it has poor sight lines thanks to the hockey primary purpose)
    I could maybe see if the arena was convenient to bars or restaurants, but you are in the middle of the fairgrounds so you are surrounded by empty barns, the grandstand, and other exhibit halls. The neighborhood around the fairgrounds is not nice so you aren't going to want to stay around there before or after games. What I see happening is possibly recruiting some slightly better kids but getting similar attendance in a nicer arena that holds 6000 people instead of a gym that holds 1200.