Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iowa State

Default Iowa State

First dual vs Iowa State is less than a week away and I'm excited. SDSU will take on Iowa State on Friday, so we'll have a better idea for what lineup they'll have and how they look. Hopefully there is a very large crowd at the SHAC and we see a Bison win. My predictions:

125- Rodriguez maj Larson. Would be a great statement to start off his SR year with a dominating win vs a quality starter. 4-0
    133- Hall tech Landeros. I'd like this to be closer, but Hall has tons of big point potential and Landeros is unproven. Landeros didn't wrestle much last year, but he did knock off Ben Gillette, who is no slouch. 4-5
    141- Moreno maj Umlauf. Again, I'd like it closer, but Moreno is a more known high commodity. 4-9
    149- Rodriguez dec Friedman. Idk who Iowa State will have in there, but I would guess Briceno or rodriguez. I think Gliva offers up the much better chance for a win here too. If Gliva is in, toss up 4-12
    157- Ream dec Rodriguez. Could be more than a decision. 7-12
    165- Fogarty dec Pestano. Toss up until I see how Pestano adjusted from wrestling 184. He was small, but competitive at 184, but I'll rarely pick against Fogarty. 10-12
    174- Weatherspoon dec Nielson. I'm either not giving Weatherspoon enough credit or giving Nielson too much...but I see a decision. 10-15
    184- Downey maj McNutt. I think Urbach is a better matchup vs Downey. A Downey fall should surprise no one. 10-19
    197- Harringotn dec Eaton. Harrington is a very highly thought of youngster, so this will be a great test for Eaton. 10-22
    HWT- Tynan dec Smith. Upset, but Tynan is capable. 13-22

The best path to victory likely goes with wins at 125, 149, 157, 165, 197, and HWT, and I see that as improbable. Either way, its great to have wrestling back and I'm super excited to see the SHAC and the youngsters get after it!

Default Re: Iowa State

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    First dual vs Iowa State is less than a week away and I'm excited. SDSU will take on Iowa State on Friday, so we'll have a better idea for what lineup they'll have and how they look. Hopefully there is a very large crowd at the SHAC and we see a Bison win. My predictions:

125- Rodriguez maj Larson. Would be a great statement to start off his SR year with a dominating win vs a quality starter. 4-0
    133- Hall tech Landeros. I'd like this to be closer, but Hall has tons of big point potential and Landeros is unproven. Landeros didn't wrestle much last year, but he did knock off Ben Gillette, who is no slouch. 4-5
    141- Moreno maj Umlauf. Again, I'd like it closer, but Moreno is a more known high commodity. 4-9
    149- Rodriguez dec Friedman. Idk who Iowa State will have in there, but I would guess Briceno or rodriguez. I think Gliva offers up the much better chance for a win here too. If Gliva is in, toss up 4-12
    157- Ream dec Rodriguez. Could be more than a decision. 7-12
    165- Fogarty dec Pestano. Toss up until I see how Pestano adjusted from wrestling 184. He was small, but competitive at 184, but I'll rarely pick against Fogarty. 10-12
    174- Weatherspoon dec Nielson. I'm either not giving Weatherspoon enough credit or giving Nielson too much...but I see a decision. 10-15
    184- Downey maj McNutt. I think Urbach is a better matchup vs Downey. A Downey fall should surprise no one. 10-19
    197- Harringotn dec Eaton. Harrington is a very highly thought of youngster, so this will be a great test for Eaton. 10-22
    HWT- Tynan dec Smith. Upset, but Tynan is capable. 13-22

The best path to victory likely goes with wins at 125, 149, 157, 165, 197, and HWT, and I see that as improbable. Either way, its great to have wrestling back and I'm super excited to see the SHAC and the youngsters get after it!
    I'm not sure who IA State will actually be bringing so the dual with SDSU will be interesting to see their lineup for sure.
    A couple of notes:
    1) I believe that at 133 we nor SDSU will see Mr. Hall, I think I read that as part of his being eligible to wrestle this year that he would have to sit out the first two competitions. So I think it's safe to say that we will see Nathan Boston here for the first couple of duals
    2) Mareno only wrestled an exhibition match in the IA State Intrasquad last week, I'm not sure of his status.
    3) At 149 I think we will see Blayne Briceno, also if my memory serves me I believe that Clay Teched Briceno last year at Midlands so it's possible if it's Briceno that Friedman could pull out a win here.
    4) At 157 there could be two possibilities Rodriguez-Spencer or possibly another MO kid Colston DiBlasi. I've seen where Colston had planned on challenging for the 157 spot although he did not wrestle in their Intrasquad.
    5) Colston could also be in the mix at 165 although it looks to be Prestano here for the Cyclones.

http://www.cyclones.com/news/2016/11...-cyclones.aspx

Here's the dual comparison and prediction from WrestleStat: http://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/d...h-dakota-state

Jacks beat Iowa State 26-9 tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    Wow....good win for the Jacks.

Iowa State looked awful tonight and the Jacks took it to them. Without Hall and Moreno, Iowa State isn't nearly as intimidating. I was surprised to not see Pestano too. I'd be shocked if they don't wrestle better vs NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    Final score was 27-9.

To get both sides of the same story...

Here's a link to the writeup on the Iowa State Athletics website:
    http://www.cyclones.com/news/2016/11...r-to-sdsu.aspx

and here's a link to the story on GoJacks.com:
    http://gojacks.com/news/2016/11/4/wr...owa-state.aspx

1814 very loud fans in Frost to watch the match.

SDSU Coach Chris Bono at press conference after the match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...Sk&app=desktop
    Watching the press conference gives some sense of jow driven Coach Bono can be. I recall watching him on TV win an NCAA Championship for Iowa State -- intense is way too weak for a descriptor. He's become a fan favorite -- a significant part of the entertainment of going to a Jacks wrestling match is watching Coach Bono.
    Last edited by JackJD; 11-05-2016 at 04:39 AM.
    Go Jackrabbits!

NDSU over Iowa State 25-16

533 In a row

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

And the Bison down the Cyclones 25-16! Good job boys, it was fun to watch and very intense...good crowd at the Scheels Center too!

Go Bison!

Great win today. Started off very ugly for the first eight periods, but Friedman's 3rd period really turned the tide. NDSU was consistently better conditioned than the Cyclones and earned this one.
    133- Really poor shot defense by Landeros and it cost him time and again. His shots were slow and telegraphed too.
    141- I liked Umlauf's energy, but his shot defense was very poor also. No attacks of consequence either.
    149- Friedman looked overmatched for the better part of 2 periods, but then turned the entire dual around in the third period. I still think Gliva is the better option, but good for Friedman, who got it done today.
    157- Some of Clay's shots were among the best I've seen from him. He looked fantastic and the move up to 157 had him looking energized late.
    165- Fogarty wrestled kind of sloppy, but he came away with a really good win over a guy who was an NCAA qualifier at 184, won around 25 matches, and gave Zillmer some struggles. I don't think Fogarty even started breathing a little harder until the third period.
    174- Nielson was facing an All American and held it to a decision. Not bad. Would've liked to see him try a couple shots, but no real complaints here, just ran into an older, better wrestler.
    184- Went pretty much exactly as I thought it was. McNutt just isn't a good matchup with Pat Downey. Downey has some of the best hips and upper body stuff in the country. Would've loved to just see Hayden and Downey do a Greco exhibition instead.
    197- Eaton started slow and completely wore his opponent down. Would like to see him work a little more on his transitions after he shoots. The initial shot is good, just a little slow getting to the finish.
    HWT- Star of the show. He looked fantastic and made a name for himself nationally today. I get why KJ pulled Colbray's redshirt 9have to do everything you can to avoid losing to NDSU and SDSU in one weekend and Colbray can still redshirt next year when Harrington is back), but Big Ben didn't care. Don't let Tynan's domination fool you...Colbray is going to be great and I think a multi time AA and maybe champ down the line. This will be an interesting footnote to revisit in couple years.
    125- Rodriguez looked great. Terrific pace and aggressiveness and just completely broke Larson, who is an NCAA qualifier. Great start for him

Couple random notes:
    Coach Garnett, you were easily the best dressed wrestling coach...but Ryan Napoli's blue suit outdid you in my eyes.
    It looked like Kish stared down KJ as the team walked out. I don't think KJ noticed, but I'd still put $100 on him taking Kish in a match.
    Loved the new arena. Seats are super comfortable, all lower bowl seats are fantastic, and the sound system is such a huge improvement.
    Great start to the year and I'm looking forward to the Bison Open.