Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer help

Default Re: Computer help

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I am a cord cutter. I would also say you are cutting cords without sacrificing something unless you get back into the dollar range of where you were at before cutting cords. Then I would say you were stupid because now you are paying for inconvenience just to show up the cable or satellite co.? That wouldn't make any sense. With my setup, I am paying less than 20% of what I was with cable or satellite but I had to sacrifice a lot. To me, the sacrifice was worth it. Looking at the one sling package with FSN seems fairly reasonable, but I would have to give up one of the other streaming services I have to justify it. So it is still going to be a sacrifice or way or another. For what we do get now, no one in the house is complaining (except me in the summer about Twins baseball) about what we are getting. There was a adjustment to our watching habits though.

1. We had to accept being a season behind in things we liked watching on cable networks.
    2. We had to accept we weren't watching any live sports not on OTA networks unless it was on ESPN3.
    3. We wrestle with the legality of some of Kodi's streaming add-ons and whether we are legitimately sharing or stealing. We haven't figured this one out yet, so we pretty much stick with the Kodi approved add-ons.
    4. To truly save money, there are concessions you have to make about quality. We don't get as much content in HD and 5.1 as we would with cable or satellite, but we do get a lot. This has only been a slight concession.

It is my opinion if one is looking for the same content as they are getting with cable or satellite through streaming services, they are going to be disappointed they are not saving money. They will have to work with multiple streaming services or possibly run into questions of legality. A person could easily replicate the amount of content with a player like Kodi and add-ons that will get you anything, but the jury is still out if it is legal only that there are ambiguous statements about it being illegal.

If a person is willing to make some sacrifices and accept some of the things in my list above, they will be very happy cutting cords and saving a ton of money. We are going on three years having cut cords and have generally loved it. We love not having to send the cable or satellite company a payment every month. We are happy with the content available to use through the couple of streaming services we subscribe to and OTA antennae. I also know it isn't for everyone.
    Is the jury still out on kodi? I thought it was declared legal viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Is the jury still out on kodi? I thought it was declared legal viewing.
    Kodi isn't illegal. The question is about some of the add ons. If you are watching UFC PPV through the SportsDevil addon, it probably is illegal. If you are watching the Walking Dead episode from last Sunday night through another add-on, that is when it gets fuzzy. It gets fuzzy because the networks are offering the streams on their websites, for one, and the argument becomes if regular Joe is sharing the stream, no one is downloading. Therefore is isn't illegal. That has become the new way of explaining it. It isn't whether it is legal or not, but no one thinks it is illegal because no one has definitively said it is illegal either. In some countries it is very well defined, just not in the US. Someday, someone is going to have all of their shit confiscated and there will be a ruling determining this. The question becomes do you want to be the guinea pig?

Is there a website that gives me info regarding where I can or cannot find shows through some sort of streaming service? For example, I like watching show xyz and the website might say I can find it on service abc and/or on efg.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    without figuring out what you use and how you're using it first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Trust me...I know what I use AND how Im using it.

TWSS

Or something like that.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IDDUKES View Post
    Is there a website that gives me info regarding where I can or cannot find shows through some sort of streaming service? For example, I like watching show xyz and the website might say I can find it on service abc and/or on efg.
    http://canistream.it

Although its not great, but its a resource.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    With all the channels you watch, cord cutting probably isn't an answer for you...at least right now. Cord cutting is great for somebody who only watches a little tv a day (my wife and myself) or somebody with specific mainstream shows (Hulu), or somebody who likes to watch a whole series at a time (Hulu or Netflix). To get access to all the content you want would probably not save you much if any. I have access to everything I watched before, but I did not watch many of the channels you use. Cutting the cord isn't a one size fits all.

This has been been a pretty good discussion that has brought up some good points. Probably is getting time to derail it...cutting the cord...seems like there should be an izzy joke in there somewhere.
    Believe it or not, I agree with TAB. I will fully admit that I can't imagine paying ful prices for all the content Teach is watching, but I am very impressed with how he is putting them over the barrel. (I used to do this before I cut the cord; great minds think alike! I cut the cord when Midco would not cut my rate enough; I so enjoyed turning in my equipment; they were then nice enough to discount my internet 2 years.) td577 also had a great post; spot on. My whole strategy is to keep my monthly streaming packages prices rock bottom low (only $20 for Sling + yearly Prime). I can usually get big discounts on Hulu through credit card/travel hacking deals. I often drop that as I can record a ton of content with Play On when I have it (not illegal to time shift content). Then, I use the big difference I would pay for cable versus streaming as the money I use to subscribe to MLB, NHL, and NFL package and the required DNS block. I still pay way less, have expanded sports content than most (at least at the professional level; I get every MLB, NHL, and NFL game live plus NFL network).

Yes, it takes more effort, but I own the equipment and have low monthly fees. I take back any comments that made you feel "looked down on" and ask forgiveness for that. My goal is to get people to at least consider it, and you have.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Believe it or not, I agree with TAB. I will fully admit that I can't imagine paying ful prices for all the content Teach is watching, but I am very impressed with how he is putting them over the barrel. (I used to do this before I cut the cord; great minds think alike! I cut the cord when Midco would not cut my rate enough; I so enjoyed turning in my equipment; they were then nice enough to discount my internet 2 years.) td577 also had a great post; spot on. My whole strategy is to keep my monthly streaming packages prices rock bottom low (only $20 for Sling + yearly Prime). I can usually get big discounts on Hulu through credit card/travel hacking deals. I often drop that as I can record a ton of content with Play On when I have it (not illegal to time shift content). Then, I use the big difference I would pay for cable versus streaming as the money I use to subscribe to MLB, NHL, and NFL package and the required DNS block. I still pay way less, have expanded sports content than most (at least at the professional level; I get every MLB, NHL, and NFL game live plus NFL network).

Yes, it takes more effort, but I own the equipment and have low monthly fees. I take back any comments that made you feel "looked down on" and ask forgiveness for that. My goal is to get people to at least consider it, and you have.
    Since I'm not a cable/satellite geek already I'm technically not saving the money. To me I don't need every NHL/MLB/NFL game. What I would like is oh hey this weekend we don't have anything going on I'd like to watch the Phil Eagles and Wentz play (which this year was OTA quite a bit so might be a bad example... but catch my drift?) I don't want to pay for a whole season of something that I may only watch a handful of games because truly I don't really have that much time so it's not worth the yearly subscription. They use to have weekly rates but I don't know if any do anymore? Just curious your thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I take back any comments that made you feel "looked down on" and ask forgiveness for that. My goal is to get people to at least consider it, and you have.
    Like I said...we are friends. I accept you for who you are. Oh...And I forgive you.

Edit...and we can debate this more in brookings next fall.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Since I'm not a cable/satellite geek already I'm technically not saving the money. To me I don't need every NHL/MLB/NFL game. What I would like is oh hey this weekend we don't have anything going on I'd like to watch the Phil Eagles and Wentz play (which this year was OTA quite a bit so might be a bad example... but catch my drift?) I don't want to pay for a whole season of something that I may only watch a handful of games because truly I don't really have that much time so it's not worth the yearly subscription. They use to have weekly rates but I don't know if any do anymore? Just curious your thoughts on that?
    It is worth pointing out that most leagues have a single team package (have to admit, not sure on NFL, but there is for MLB and NHL); this is usually a little cheaper than every game and DNS will still help you escape blackouts. I hope folks in Fargo appreciate how unusual it was having Carson on for that many games up there. That did not happen in Sioux Falls, and I am skeptical you'll ever get it as good as most times they are up against the Vike's, you will not get Carson due to both being NFC teams. Also, if you choose not to subscribe to Sling for ESPN, this gives you all the ESPN NFL games, not to mention NFL network produced games.

The thing I want to know is with so many cutting the cord what is the company in its infancy that I can invest in and make some money on this? Amazon, well that ship has set sail. Who is the new kid on the block that you guys see being the cats meow for this.