Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MAC interest in FCS teams (NDSU)?

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: MAC interest in FCS teams (NDSU)?

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    It's just personal preference. MAC isn't ideal, but it is a step up from the Summit. It's a middle dwelling conference just under the mid majors and the alongside the Horizon and WAC, etc. Those teams are stepping up into the Mid Major conferences. NDSU to get to that point would have to take steps. MAC would be a great next place.

As for football, my support would continue to waver if our National Championship so to speak is the GMAC Bowl, which is basically irrelevant in college football anyways. Just my humble opinion.
    I am 100% with you on this. While the FCS championship may be irrelevant in college football too, at least it is a championship. Unlike a Bowl game that barely the schools involved care about.

But so is the 42 other bowl games.

only relevant bowl games are fiesta, sugar, rose, orange.

Quote Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
    But so is the 42 other bowl games.

only relevant bowl games are fiesta, sugar, rose, orange.
    Which is why we should stay in D1AA. Right now we are in a conference that probably competes and beats the MAC, AND we have playoffs. In the MAC, we are in a conference that competes with, and even loses to a D1AA conference, and we have nothing to play for other than a lowly conference championship, which is indeed lowly in the grand scheme of things.

Looks like we're in the better position right now.

On the other hand, you would be getting FBS teams to come to Fargo for football games, rather than playing all the FBS teams on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by RodentiaX View Post
    On the other hand, you would be getting FBS teams to come to Fargo for football games, rather than playing all the FBS teams on the road.
    I can see that argument, but at the same time, that would sadden me, to know that my highlight every season for Bison football is getting to watch teams like Easter Michigan and Kent State come to the FargoDome, and nothing more really.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    I can see that argument, but at the same time, that would sadden me, to know that my highlight every season for Bison football is getting to watch teams like Easter Michigan and Kent State come to the FargoDome, and nothing more really.
    They days of non-BCS FBS teams playing all their games against FBS teams on the road are in the past.

Looking at Minnesota's schedule, there's games at Middle Tennessee State 10, Bowling Green 08, FAU, 07, Kent State 06, Tusla 05, Colorado State 04, Ohio 03, Louisiana Lafayette 02, Toledo 01.

I think this is fairly typicial, you can expect 2-1 or 1-1 deals with FBS teams these days.

Quote Originally Posted by RodentiaX View Post
    They days of non-BCS FBS teams playing all their games against FBS teams on the road are in the past.

Looking at Minnesota's schedule, there's games at Middle Tennessee State 10, Bowling Green 08, FAU, 07, Kent State 06, Tusla 05, Colorado State 04, Ohio 03, Louisiana Lafayette 02, Toledo 01.

I think this is fairly typicial, you can expect 2-1 or 1-1 deals with FBS teams these days.
    Exactly. Texas played at Wyoming last year and 2 years ago at UTEP.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

It's not everything, of course, there are other factors. But if NDSU moved to FBS, when negotiating with BCS teams, the fight would be about whether it is a 1-1 deal or a 2-1. If there were guarantee games, NDSU would be able to ask more money for them.

If NDSU was in either the MAC or WAC, you could expect home-homes to be signed with any of the bottom 5 FBS conference teams, plus maybe the lower levels of Mountain West (Wyoming, San Diego State, etc.) You would have to expect 2-for-1's to be signed with BCS teams though.

Here's a hypothetical typical OOC schedule for a MAC team that might bring in the fans for NDSU:

At Oklahoma State
    Vs Army
    At San Diego State
    Vs New Mexico State

Maybe get a BCS team like Okie State or Washington State to come into our place every other year, and be guaranteed at least one home game vs. a non-BCS FBS every year. Two of them for the years we don't host an BCS school.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

To bring in a team like Oklahoma St., I would most definetely sign a 2-1. If NDSU ever did go FBS, I would hope Taylor/AD would schedule as aggressive as possible. I would be curious to see the attendance for a season which maybe had a MAC schedule and then a possible game against a team like OSU.