Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Fargodome Expansion discusssion

BYZEN is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Fargodome Expansion discusssion

At this time a downtown facility can't handle,
    1. Parking, and without a few substantial parking structures never will.
    B. Traffic, the Dome has 9 traffic lanes to disperse the parking lots, think of the traffic clusterfuk on 4th street...
    iii. Hotels, I guess that proposed Hotel will need some company.

That said....if we build a new 35,000 seat Dome with a Convention Center someplace next to campus and WALHALLA...old dome=IPF
    Okay, bring on the haters, I got big shoulders 😉
    SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier on NDSU intro video: "This is not meant to be North Dakota State's home game."

If the Fargo Dome is a pig well I like pork.

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    If the Fargo Dome is a pig well I like pork.

The $56 million estimate thrown out by the consultants seems a bit steep too.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by Hail bison View Post
    The dome is at a disadvantage because it has no convention and meeting facilities. Have you seen the alerus facilities? I'm not talking about certain trade shows, concerts etc. as far as draw goes, the airport is there and it is much much more accessible. Downtown is not convenient to many in the city and region. There are certain events that would never consider going down there. You want an example? You can write off anything ag related. Also, you posted earlier how great the downtown campus is. Do a survey of student opinion and then tell me how great it is. My whole intent was to say what's good for the dome is good for the university. I had no intention of getting into a city politics debate.
    Yeah, my bad, I took your "draw" differently than what you meant. It's not like the airport is far from downtown tho, I disagree there. Obviously the dome is insanely close, but its like a 5 min drive downtown on Uni.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

If they build a few more hotels up on 19th... Why not the airport is right there (granted Fargo is a end of road airport not connections airport but...) the convention center could do well and then throw in a few restaurants, the bad side is NDSU(essentially state) controls the land from dome west to interstate...

I was looking at google maps in regards to new stadium location the only location that I think would work would be just north of the elevator/SuperValu warehouse on 12th and just west of railroad tracks. Unless ag wants to give up their test plots (probably not since all their buildings are right on west side of campus). Go north towards 19th you run into flight path restrictions I imagine.

Sorry went on a tangent there. I think Fargo dome funds stay with the site, the addition to the dome is not "ideal" but is the smart decision, unless access and parking downtown dramatically changes.

The 1% taxes was on travel items, the forum article got this correct unlike the other media outlets.

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

Its not the same draw because the addition is adding what the current dome is missing---the capability to host larger scale/different types events. The current dome is not really set up right to host large scale conferences with vendors. The new addition would remedy this situation as it adds meeting rooms with the room to host the vendors. A entirely different segment of the market that the dome cannot market to now. If you split the dome all you did is create 2 small scale venues both suited to serve the same audience..... You build a conference center over in NF that can host the next level of events and the hotels and restaurants will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    LOL, why wouldn't it have the same draw? What's your reasoning for that statement? Have you never been to ANY other city? They have convention centers downtown and do just fine...or am I missing the point?

The dome is at a competitive disadvantage because it's HUGE compared to the Alerus...too big for MOST acts. However, they are running a profit. When is the last time the Alerus turned one?

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Its not the same draw because the addition is adding what the current dome is missing---the capability to host larger scale/different types events. The current dome is not really set up right to host large scale conferences with vendors. The new addition would remedy this situation as it adds meeting rooms with the room to host the vendors. A entirely different segment of the market that the dome cannot market to now. If you split the dome all you did is create 2 small scale venues both suited to serve the same audience..... You build a conference center over in NF that can host the next level of events and the hotels and restaurants will follow.
    I dont believe they are chasing next level events I believe they are chasing ones they are to large for ..... other thing is if you locate convention center downtown Saturdays in fall not a issue pink....or jt concerts not a issue as both can happen

Its not about hosting concerts and conferences at the same time its about being an attractive option for conferences....at lest that is what they said when the announced why there were doing this in the first place (need more suite space to host/attract these type of events). The only reason it received DT consideration is Bergum wants it there to bolster the highrise he wants to put in.

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    I dont believe they are chasing next level events I believe they are chasing ones they are to large for ..... other thing is if you locate convention center downtown Saturdays in fall not a issue pink....or jt concerts not a issue as both can happen

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    I think the Dome addition idea is designed to do BOTH. Major conventions that they can't handle now and moderate events that the Dome is too large for.