Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2009 - First FCS Playoffs, Led by Nick Mertens

Default Re: 2009 - First FCS Playoffs, Led by Nick Mertens

Did Mertens do any audibles from the line?

So we have a fourth year qb, who can't throw or run or read the defense and he will lead us to the playoffs, well alrightee then!

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I disagree with some of that. I think Mertens runs pretty well, especially for a QB. The problem is you haven't seen it because the coaches only let him do it for 2 quarters the whole season. And I think his rainbow interceptions were more of a result of him being tentative and unsure with where he was going with the pass than a question of his arm strength.
    Agreed

If you took the 2nd & 3rd quarters of the SDSU game and analyzed the offensive play calling, and how Nick Mertens reacted to it, you could possibly find the key to having a very good season with him at QB.

He looked 'extremely' comfortable when he had the option to run on almost every play.

He IS an option-type quarterback. He runs well...and he even throws better in that scheme.

Did you notice how the LB's and D-backs from SDSU would come up to stop him from running, and he would toss the ball over the top to a wide open receiver?

He looked totally relaxed...and the outcome was controlling the tempo of the game.

That's Nick's game.

If we want high-octane out of a pro set, or wasted coast style offense...then we need someone else.

Bingo mike.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by rutlandbison View Post
    wow..........
    He's on my ignore list...but I saw this because you responded to him. (no problem) This is 'real' bisonville material. But you know...one of the moderators went fishing with him...and he's apparently a former captain of the UNI football team...so he's cool.

UNI didn't win the title when he was there. Big surprise.
    Last edited by CaBisonFan; 12-03-2008 at 05:34 AM.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonCardinal View Post
    Mertens will not be the one taking us to the playoffs.

Mertens does not have a good arm. I don't know how many yards we lost by having the receivers wait for the ball and how many receivers were hung out to dry with a pass too high. Last year Kole had the out route down so well that it seemed like he was already sliding out of bounds, because he knew Walkers pass was going to be there. This year, it seems like the receivers had to take a dodge ball stance because they had no idea where the ball was coming.

Mertens also does not have a strong arm. If he did he wouldn't be throwing rainbow interceptions like the ones that ended the Western Ill and SDSU games.

Mertens apparently can't run either. The coaching staff finally unleased that weapon in the final game of the year. Whoopity Do.

It kind of bugs me that our highly paid coaching staff has let our qb depth sink so far. Typically, in our elite program, our second string qb would start at most other mid range programs. Hell, I would trade the Indiana State qb for Mertens. At least he had some good touch on his passes and could run.

It would have been nice to have Parsons and Brekke to fall back on.
    Ok, I am done bashing Mertens. What other position could he play?

Neither one of those 2 would have done anything.

But the coaches would have had a option. An option we didn't have. Sometimes it takes a player getting sat down before a fire is lit and the IT takes hold. We didn't even have that option this year. The coaches admitted to the mistake and hopefully have learned from it and we will not be in this situation. I hope I am wrong but I just don't think Mr. Mertens will lead us to the promised land next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonCardinal View Post
    Mertens will not be the one taking us to the playoffs.

Mertens does not have a good arm. I don't know how many yards we lost by having the receivers wait for the ball and how many receivers were hung out to dry with a pass too high. Last year Kole had the out route down so well that it seemed like he was already sliding out of bounds, because he knew Walkers pass was going to be there. This year, it seems like the receivers had to take a dodge ball stance because they had no idea where the ball was coming.

Mertens also does not have a strong arm. If he did he wouldn't be throwing rainbow interceptions like the ones that ended the Western Ill and SDSU games.

Mertens apparently can't run either. The coaching staff finally unleased that weapon in the final game of the year. Whoopity Do.

It kind of bugs me that our highly paid coaching staff has let our qb depth sink so far. Typically, in our elite program, our second string qb would start at most other mid range programs. Hell, I would trade the Indiana State qb for Mertens. At least he had some good touch on his passes and could run.

It would have been nice to have Parsons and Brekke to fall back on.

Ok, I am done bashing Mertens. What other position could he play?
    Nice summary of Mertens inability to perform. Only disagree with the point Parsons and Brekke would have been good to fall back on. Both of those guys had serious issues and would have been as bad if not worse than Mertens.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Agreed

If you took the 2nd & 3rd quarters of the SDSU game and analyzed the offensive play calling, and how Nick Mertens reacted to it, you could possibly find the key to having a very good season with him at QB.

He looked 'extremely' comfortable when he had the option to run on almost every play.

He IS an option-type quarterback. He runs well...and he even throws better in that scheme.

Did you notice how the LB's and D-backs from SDSU would come up to stop him from running, and he would toss the ball over the top to a wide open receiver?

He looked totally relaxed...and the outcome was controlling the tempo of the game.

That's Nick's game.

If we want high-octane out of a pro set, or wasted coast style offense...then we need someone else.

Bingo mike.
    I must admit, after reading the thread, that I half agree with CABison on this one. I must stress HALF agree. Let me elaborate:

1. Nick did run well the last game. If he is the quarterback, I think they need to do more of that for him to give the team a chance to win.

That is the half I agree with.

Now, for the problems:

Offensive philosphy: If the Bison are a true West Coast team, you CAN'T have Mertens as your quarterback. Too many interceptions and bad decisions when quick decisions/accuarate throws are needed. Quarterback running is typically not part of this equation. It is 3 steps, throw the ball and have a strong running game and involve the backs/TE's with passes.

Now, you can change philosphy to more of a Rocky style game, but don't forget how difficult it is to ever come back when down in the fourth quarter when you play that type of game. You really need to dominate time of possession from beggining to end. Again, nothing wrong with this and Merten's may fit, but this is a very different direction than the current offense.

So, pick your poison. Go with Mertens in what he may be able to do, or stick with West Coast and make a change.

The good news? I do trust our coaches and I am sure they will make an informed decision during Spring ball.

If it was me, if Mertens is clearly best, I move to more of a Rochy style game with more quaterback runs, options, and roll out passes off play action.

If anyone else looks remotely like a potential answer, I stick West Coast and give them a real chance to win the job in the Fall.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The above isn't completely true. Think about the 49ers with Steve Young at the helm. He wasn't exactly one to sit in the pocket and hit those 3 step drops. He also many times had to run for his life as his line wasn't the best. But at the same time they did role him out some to use his skills better. If the pass wasn't there he still had the option to run. I don't see why we can't do the same thing with Mertens. Even though 98% of Bison fans have given up on him, if we fit the offense to better use his skills, he can be a successful quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    The above isn't completely true. Think about the 49ers with Steve Young at the helm. He wasn't exactly one to sit in the pocket and hit those 3 step drops. He also many times had to run for his life as his line wasn't the best. But at the same time they did role him out some to use his skills better. If the pass wasn't there he still had the option to run. I don't see why we can't do the same thing with Mertens. Even though 98% of Bison fans have given up on him, if we fit the offense to better use his skills, he can be a successful quarterback.
    Agreed.

We'll see what the coaches do this spring and next summer. If Mertens stays the starter and the coaches "utilitze" his strengths than the Bison can be successful with him. If he falls on his face....get him out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    But, most Steve Young runs were not "planned." (see the famous long run against the Vikings) The same can be said for McNab in Philli. There in lies the difference. I saw no sign from Merten's that he was a good scrambler this last year. I maintain my arugument that we would fundamentally be talking about a different style of football. You can't roll out every time in a West Coast offense....