Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NDSU STEM building

Default NDSU STEM building

Construction will soon start on this new classroom/laboratory building. It will be located immediately east of the student union and it will have three floors plus a basement. The basement level will be connected to the student union. Construction bids were right on target with the estimates (about $28,000,000) and they were able to add several optional features to the building. Roers Construction will be the general contractor. The first use of the building will be in spring semester 2016.

533 In a row

Default Re: NDSU STEM building

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Construction will soon start on this new classroom/laboratory building. It will be located immediately east of the student union and it will have three floors plus a basement. The basement level will be connected to the student union. Construction bids were right on target with the estimates (about $28,000,000) and they were able to add several optional features to the building. Roers Construction will be the general contractor. The first use of the building will be in spring semester 2016.
    As much as I support this project, I'm still a little sore about the location of Churchill Field...I always thought having that open space on campus was awesome. I also miss the old Union patio on the east-side too.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

google maps tells me that this is churchill field? Wasn't there a parking lot you could have built on? Like that one directly south of your union?

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    google maps tells me that this is churchill field? Wasn't there a parking lot you could have built on? Like that one directly south of your union?
    no, just great open green space I really hate the location, too and miss the patio.

I was told there was still going to be a large green space east of the new building. I guess we will have to wait to see where they start digging since I can't find an exact location for the building. The location was moved toward the union since the original plan was shown a couple of years ago.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    I was told there was still going to be a large green space east of the new building. I guess we will have to wait to see where they start digging since I can't find an exact location for the building. The location was moved toward the union since the original plan was shown a couple of years ago.
    If it's directly east of the Union, then that's not really Churchill Field. To me, Churchill Field is directly south of Churchill Hall. Or am I getting this all messed up? I suppose it covers part of Churchill Field though.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    If it's directly east of the Union, then that's not really Churchill Field. To me, Churchill Field is directly south of Churchill Hall. Or am I getting this all messed up? I suppose it covers part of Churchill Field though.
    Remember, though, that with the Union expansion a few years back, it also took up parts of Churchill Field...
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    Remember, though, that with the Union expansion a few years back, it also took up parts of Churchill Field...
    Still not sure that we're talking about the same place. It'd be nice to see a map with the proposed location.

There were two distinct spaces when I went to NDSU.

There was a big open space by the Union that with a flagpole and criss-crossing sidewalks. That's steadily been covered with concrete. But I never considered that Churchill Field. It was OK but the flagpole and the sidewalks made it unsuitable for playing football.

The east boundary of that area was a north-south sidewalk and a hedge. On the other side of that (and directly south of Churchill Hall) was a completely a green space with no concrete which was much better for running around on. That's what I consider Churchill Field. Looks like they've gotten rid of the hedge so it's actually bigger than it used to be.

I'm not really bent about it either way but why wouldn't they put it out on University Dr. then you'd have an old school quad?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I'm not really bent about it either way but why wouldn't they put it out on University Dr. then you'd have an old school quad?
    I thought that's where they wanted to put it originally except that there was considerable backlash.