Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have to chime in on the QB situation

Tampa area, Florida - where NDSU mines its Sunshine State talent

Default Have to chime in on the QB situation

Tweeted this out there too ...

How often do you get three QBs like Lance, Noland and Sanders who immediately go public with their respect for each other, and support the hell out of each other after a QB announcement is made? And nobody is clamoring for a damned transfer "portal" trip within nanoseconds to BFE U.?

I'll tell all of y'all right now that I've exchanged PMs with all 3 of them tonight. I hope that doesn't get them in trouble. Trey was always outstanding in recruiting and congrats to him. He hasn't hit me back yet but I enjoyed corresponding with him through recruiting, including a national title pick vs JMU when he was still a recruiting. Noland hit me back and Bison fans? You couldn't be classier than Zeb was. I mean, this guy has had success in the Big 12, and he's as humble as it comes. And Noah? Same as he always was with recruiting .... "thanks for the positive response".

"Culture" is something Sam Herder and I yap so much about on our podcasts that we actually laugh about it, but culture is also a wonderful thing (especially these days). It transcends sports. You all know it because you all live and breathe it, and your program wins because of culture. Many fall short.

I got the feeling that today was a culture thing, and that a program like this attracts kids who want "culture". We get asked all the time about "why in the HELL is some program in the Dakotas so good?"

And it's funny, when I worked for The Sporting News covering recruiting we wondered about that.

NDSU is obviously very, very good. But so is SDSU, and USD and UND (I know you all are gagging right about now, but it's true) also have done well recently. How can colleges in the Dakotas win in D-1 CFB? and how can all of them knock of FBS schools? Population wise? It makes no sense. But it happens.

Culture.

Honestly? It's fascinating to watch. Today's big announcement was a great example of it. Kudos to these three young men who took tough news with so much grace.
    Cover FCS nationally for HERO Sports, including recruiting coverage. My background is 5 years with The Sporting News as a national recruiting writer, and I just finished a 7-year stint selecting the PARADE All-America teams. Enjoy talking to FCS fans. Hit me up on Twitter @BrianMacWriter or on email at brian.mclaughlin@herosports.com.

Default Re: Have to chime in on the QB situation

Thanks Brian. this is a special program. just imagine how cocky & arrogant these guys could be since 2011??

112-8 & 7 titles .. yet this is what we see daily up here
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Brian, Thank you for sharing your insight. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks

Davis, Thornton, and Hendricks, have all played a part in NDSU's success. No doubt Noland and Sanders will as well. They already are in part with how they have handled themselves through the QB competition so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMac_HERO-SPORTS View Post
    Tweeted this out there too ...

How often do you get three QBs like Lance, Noland and Sanders who immediately go public with their respect for each other, and support the hell out of each other after a QB announcement is made? And nobody is clamoring for a damned transfer "portal" trip within nanoseconds to BFE U.?
    Nice to hear this. Congratulations to Trey. There is a good chance that Noland will also see some playing time this year, in my opinion. Perhaps Sanders too. QBs get dinged up during the season and other things happen - a QB has a bad day so a change is needed at half-time and so on.

Entz said "iron sharpens iron" - yep, so they will help each other if get better if envy, pride, and so on don't get in the way. As BrianMac says ... culture. It helps stymie these things. No I in team.

Brian, awesome to see you post on here. Yep, it is simply different at NDSU. An very overlooked part of this entire story is Zeb would probably be starting for SDSU if he went there, but it appears the culture thing sucked him into Fargo when the opportunity presented itself. My hunch is he was only promised a chance to compete for the job, which officially ended yesterday. Then his response screamed culture. We are going to need Zeb at some point this year, and man am I excited knowing we have a backup plan if something goes wrong.

I have to say it, LOL at the UND reference...riding coatails
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    und > Wyoming

Lardsin must go!

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    how quickly you forget UND and NDSU have combined for 7 of the last 8 FCS national championships.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    how quickly you forget UND and NDSU have combined for 7 of the last 8 FCS national championships.
    Also NDSU and und have the same number of playoff losses in that 8 years.

Whether you like it or not they are our peers.
    Last edited by scottietohottie; 08-20-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: sdsu lost 8 times!

Lardsin must go!