Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Special Teams Not Special

Default Re: Special Teams Not Special

So, in this 4 page thread, did anyone explain why our punt returners thought it was a good idea to jump on bouncing balls? Or there was even one where the receiver decided not to take it, and stood around the play and still nearly got hit?

While these were poor decisions by players, coaches need to clean this crap up.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    So, in this 4 page thread, did anyone explain why our punt returners thought it was a good idea to jump on bouncing balls?
    40 posts per page is the only way to go IMO.
    #n00b

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    40 posts per page is the only way to go IMO.
    #n00b
    This. What's all this talk about page 4? With my settings we just started page 2.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

So, in this 4 page thread, did anyone explain why our punt returners thought it was a good idea to jump on bouncing balls? Or there was even one where the receiver decided not to take it, and stood around the play and still nearly got hit?

Well, CJ did save like .7 yards of field position with that play he made. Seriously, though, I think it's one of those things where he got caught up in the moment and made a bad decision.

On that punt in the 4th that CC should have downed inside the 5, Duds was also way way too close to the ball. If you aren't going to pick it up, get the hell away from the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    On that punt in the 4th that CC should have downed inside the 5, Duds was also way way too close to the ball. If you aren't going to pick it up, get the hell away from the ball.
    The first touch was at about the 4. The TV guys didn't see it.

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    Yes, I know it is all water under the bridge, but some of us in Section 32 were debating on punting rather than the 49 yd field goal attempt at the end. If the punt goes out of bounds inside the 20, great. If it makes it to the endzone, the Bison D would gain 12 yards in the exchange of field position. Of course, all of this is taken in the context of the possibility of a blocked punt.
    I originally thought the FG attempt was a bad idea, too. Way too many bad things can happen on a FG attempt from that range. A 49 yarder means the trajectory is going to be lower which can result in a blocked FG more frequently and blocked FGs are much easier to return for TDs than any play the offense could be trying to make.

The only "good" thing that can happen from the FG attempt is you win the game by making the FG. Well, the other way to win the game right there is to just get a 1st down. The three runs on 1st-3rd down were the right call in my book to get rid of the timeouts, but you can pass on 4th down - you get the first down and the game is over. I think the probability of getting 9 yards was about equal to making a 49 yard FG with less devastating plays that could happen - yes a pick-6 could happen, but I think Wentz is smart enough to take a sack or throw the ball away rather than force something. I would have gone for it on 4th down.

I did not like the choice to run on 3rd down and short. I know you want them to use up their TO, but they were selling out to stop the run. A simple PA pass to a crossing TE would have worked brilliantly there. If not, you have Wentz on the move anyway, so he doesn't have to throw. He could have ran for a first down as well. Get the first down, you win the game. Incomplete pass you can still go for the FG (which would have been a few yards closer, could have changed Keller's mind set) or you could have gone for it again or punt. Just my two cents.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

I thought they should have rolled Wentz out and given him an option to throw or run for the first down. Oh well it worked out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    I did not like the choice to run on 3rd down and short.
    Wasnt it 3rd and 7? or do I need to watch it again?
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club