Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Default Re: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

This is Richman's 4th year. His worst year ironically was his second year in which they went 20-13(8-8) and I believe made it to the Conference finals. He took over a program that was very poorly recruited considering the success that was happening, IMO.

The program was never given a chance to benefit off that Oklahoma win in recruiting because Saul never tied recruiting up before he left and I would imagine a rookie HC didn't have a lot of pull. Richman has done an excellent job at recruiting perimeter players and a very poor job at recruiting inside. The player development argument is garbage. Paul Miller's development has been significant, same with Ward. On the flip side, the player development of the inside players, well, has been garbage.

Firing Richman opinions are just ignorant and completely unsubstantiated. He has been NDSU's most successful coach in history, and despite what anyone thinks, this season's success is based on conference, not out of conference. This ain't football where NDSU is expected to compete for Championships in a sub division. I would personally be pissed if Richman beat all these teams and then pissed the conference away.

With all that being said, Richman better figure out how to coach offense and get his teams to play with a little energy, immediately, or the above arguments for him are going to quickly lose their merit.
    Last edited by silkamilkamonico; 12-05-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Well he coached them to a 7-1 record in first half of conference play last year . 2nd half was 4-4 and an early exit in Sioux Falls. Coaching development needs to happen as well.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

If he's not the best offensive minded coach...does he even recognize that about himself? I mean. If I'm coaching and I'm weaker in a certain area, I'm hiring an assistant who excels in that area. But you have to be able to recognize it.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    If he's not the best offensive minded coach...does he even recognize that about himself? I mean. If I'm coaching and I'm weaker in a certain area, I'm hiring an assistant who excels in that area. But you have to be able to recognize it.
    I am not sure how much input Will has but maybe could have more. After all his college coach is now in NBA. He might have picked up a thing or two.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

I hate to watch NDSU's offense with a passion, but to give him credit he is trying to find different ways of making it better, it unfortunately just isn't working (yet?).

They got away from the weave and you can see different sets being run, even with different personel, imo, the problem with his offense is it leaves too much control to the players and not enough "do this" from the scheme. A lot of times the kids just make wrong decisions or miss on the pass and then the half court set goes to shit and they are just free wheeling the rest and it turns ugly. You can see they are trying to run plays into Eliason and I think he does a good job getting position but we can't make the pass into him against these bigger teams and if he does get it he can't score. I feel like there are certain players they don't run anything for (Dylan Miller) and they just occupy space. They have run some really nice dribble drives to the open man who's defender comes over to help, but I'm not sure if this is what the set play is saying or if they are just freewheeling 2 man game. I can't count on 2 hands how many bunnies Eliason has missed off those nice passes.

I could be wrong it's just observation, but then again there's so much sloppiness going on in the halfcourt I'm not sure if anyone can really tell exactly what they are trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    This is Richman's 4th year. His worst year ironically was his second year in which they went 20-13(8-8) and I believe made it to the Conference finals. He took over a program that was very poorly recruited considering the success that was happening, IMO.

The program was never given a chance to benefit off that Oklahoma win in recruiting because Saul never tied recruiting up before he left and I would imagine a rookie HC didn't have a lot of pull. Richman has done an excellent job at recruiting perimeter players and a very poor job at recruiting inside. The player development argument is garbage. Paul Miller's development has been significant, same with Ward. On the flip side, the player development of the inside players, well, has been garbage.

Firing Richman opinions are just ignorant and completely unsubstantiated. He has been NDSU's most successful coach in history, and despite what anyone thinks, this season's success is based on conference, not out of conference. This ain't football where NDSU is expected to compete for Championships in a sub division. I would personally be pissed if Richman beat all these teams and then pissed the conference away.

With all that being said, Richman better figure out how to coach offense and get his teams to play with a little energy, immediately, or the above arguments for him are going to quickly lose their merit.
    So he's Rick Barnes?

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    So he's Rick Barnes?
    I wish. Didn't Rick Barnes recruit Kevin Durant and Lamarcus Aldridge amongst other impact big guys.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    I hate to watch NDSU's offense with a passion, but to give him credit he is trying to find different ways of making it better, it unfortunately just isn't working (yet?).
    At least they are trying some different Offense this year. Still way to much lolly gagging around the perimeter for me. The last game when AJ drove, kicked out and then went and spotted up for the 3 was a thing of beauty.

We get hammered on the offensive glass when we pass it around the 3 point line and throw up a shot. Last game it must have been the game plan to make sure we were back and didn't let them start running because as soon as a shot went up by us the whole team was turning and bailing for the D end. It was before the ball even hit the rim.

The thing with an offense focused on 3 pointers is...you have to actually be good at them. Live by the 3 die by the 3. Ive never viewed us as a 3 point shooting team. (other than was it Felt, and even then he was streaky)
    Last edited by BisonTeacher; 12-06-2017 at 04:27 PM.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    The thing with an offense focused on 3 pointers is...you have to actually be good at them. Live by the 3 die by the 3. Ive never viewed us as a 3 point shooting team. (other than was it Felt, and even then he was steaky)
    I get nervous whenever Dave talks about "position less" basketball. To me, it is like saying guys like Dex and Marshall did not have value, but am I misinterpreting? I keep trying to be positive, and hoping I am very, very wrong.