Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Conference tourney thoughts- before during and afterward

Default Re: Conference tourney thoughts- before during and afterward

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks02 View Post
    SDSU RPI = 155
    UND RPI = 172

UND was 2-5 out of conference, they racked up wins due to a very weak Big Sky.

Summit League was 47-59 in OOC games while Big Sky was 32-88.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if SDSU got the higher seed.
    BPI
    UND 150
    SDSU 185
    It's pretty much a wash either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingslayer View Post
    BPI
    UND 150
    SDSU 185
    It's pretty much a wash either way.
    How about UND and SDSU play each other in the play in game.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    How about UND and SDSU play each other in the play in game.
    Yes, perfect!

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

They make total sense. If roles were reversed bunny fans would be pissed as well.
    I'm not talking about the location arguments, that's not going to change so no reason to even complain about that. I'm talking about changing the days of the tournament. Just be happy it's not schedule for Mon-Thursday like some of the tournaments are, it could be worse that's for sure.

They make total sense. If roles were reversed bunny fans would be pissed as well.
    Here's another thought: It makes no difference what night you play if you lose in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    UND and SDSU would have very similar profiles....SDSU with a much better SOS but UND with some better quality wins. They did beat a top 100 team.

UND still needs to win three more games and if they did, the RPI's of both teams would likely be similar. Who gets seeded over who would probably comes down to a debate over SOS and quality wins.

What really holds UND back is how god awful the Big Sky is, playing in that league just destroy's their SOS. That league is pretty much a complete joke this year.
    I'm sure someone knows but I'm not sure when the last time was that a Big Sky school received better than a 15 or 16 seed. Weber were really good in the 90s and Montana had some years but outside of that, maybe EWU several years back?

UND has no history and yes, the BSC is an absolutely terrible conference. Everything I've seen which lists UND has them in a play in while SDSU is showing up as a 15 and/or 16 in the field of 64. I would prefer a play in game this year. Get a chance to earn some money in a winnable game before getting fed to a #1. But you better win that game.

As for the tournament schedule. I think the SLT should move to a Thursday - Sunday and if ESPN won't play then move the tournament to Fox. Moving the days allows for more out of state attendees and lessens the talk of it being an SDSU home game. It is possible the earlier sessions may suffer a bit but I think the attendance drop would easily be made up on the weekend. You definitely would have seen more Omaha attendees last night had the game been on Sunday and it is likely more WIU fans would have made the long drive for the women's championship.

As for moving it. Holy crap no. Would people rather pull a Big Sky and play in front of 200 people in Reno or go back to a High School arena in Tulsa? Sioux Falls provides a great atmosphere that is bringing attention to the conference, it isn't moving so fix the days and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    If you want to maximize SDSU's advantage leave the title game and semis on a week night. The title game should be on a Sunday, just like how the MVC does their tournament.

There is no argument to keeping it how it is outside of what ESPN wants. To argue anything else is just dumb, the current format is awful for traveling fans. A complete and total pain in the ass.
    Revenue is a pretty good argument...

If you want to maximize overall tournament attendance (aka revenue) the current format is ideal. Changing might get more fans in the championship (when NDSU is involved), but you will lose more fans on the front end. There is zero doubt in my mind it would be a net revenue loss for the league. A Thursday-Sunday format would also be devastating to women's attendance (more revenue lost).

Putting the low interest games on the weekend makes them as easy as possible to attend, which means more tickets will be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksfan29 View Post
    I'm sure someone knows but I'm not sure when the last time was that a Big Sky school received better than a 15 or 16 seed. Weber were really good in the 90s and Montana had some years but outside of that, maybe EWU several years back?

UND has no history and yes, the BSC is an absolutely terrible conference. Everything I've seen which lists UND has them in a play in while SDSU is showing up as a 15 and/or 16 in the field of 64. I would prefer a play in game this year. Get a chance to earn some money in a winnable game before getting fed to a #1. But you better win that game.

As for the tournament schedule. I think the SLT should move to a Thursday - Sunday and if ESPN won't play then move the tournament to Fox. Moving the days allows for more out of state attendees and lessens the talk of it being an SDSU home game. It is possible the earlier sessions may suffer a bit but I think the attendance drop would easily be made up on the weekend. You definitely would have seen more Omaha attendees last night had the game been on Sunday and it is likely more WIU fans would have made the long drive for the women's championship.

As for moving it. Holy crap no. Would people rather pull a Big Sky and play in front of 200 people in Reno or go back to a High School arena in Tulsa? Sioux Falls provides a great atmosphere that is bringing attention to the conference, it isn't moving so fix the days and move on.
    Women's attendance would be devastated by a Thursday-Sunday format. Not sure the arena is big enough to host a championship that would make up the lost revenue from women's Saturday/Sunday sessions getting moved to Thursday/Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Women's attendance would be devastated by a Thursday-Sunday format. Not sure the arena is big enough to host a championship that would make up the lost revenue from women's Saturday/Sunday sessions getting moved to Thursday/Friday.
    What is this Womens basketball you talk about?????

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Would they though? What's easier to get time off for people, Monday-Wednesday or Thursday-Friday? Mentally it's easier to take off the end of the week for me. Realistically the two reasons the women's attendance is so good is from USD and SDSU fans. They would still show, not as well but they would definitely show. And you using the numbers for the non SD session numbers are pure boosted by it being part of the session with the SD school before it. I watched, no way 9000+ were present watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Hunters Safety-Treat Every Hunter as if He Were Loaded