Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Chancellor seems to be against NDSU growth...

Default Re: Chancellor seems to be against NDSU growth...

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    JC is a private school. SBOHE didn't have any say.

The rest, I have always agreed. I would like to see ND develop a community college environment with either VC or Mayville and eliminate remedial education at NDSU. The other probably needs to be closed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    I think he meant JC as an acronym for junior college, not Jamestown College.

More specifically, BSC who has been trying to add 4-year programs for years.

Would love to see VC become a serious JC and Mayville shut down. (A serious JC is one with the same academic rigor as an NDSU/UND but geared toward students who wouldn't handle the larger environment. Coursework is just as tough, but class sizes are smaller with more support services. While you might get a AS/AA degree after two years at a serious JC, that's not the end goal. 95%+ would go on to a 4-year school to finish a BS/BA.)

I disagree with both you, I think he meant JC as Joe Chapman.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I disagree with both you, I think he meant JC as Joe Chapman.
    The first time he used JC, he definitely meant Joe Chapman. But the second time I'm pretty sure he meant junior college.

JC in the context stands for Junior college. I should have used CC community college. I am saying that they started growing and becoming 4 year institutions.....which has led to a lot of the overlap we see. Shoot Minot has been trying to get a phd program forever while BSC has grad programs. BSC should never have been allowed grad programs when MSU was the designated University. WSC was trying to get a BS degree, but I think that was shut down. I cant for the life of me figure out what Mayville state offers that is not covered by Und or NDSU...i guess a handful of aa programs. but then why the hell are the considered a regional university. the designation that sets them apart is their community college aspect VCSU offers all the same gradate degrees NDSU offers.

How much $$$$ could be reallocated if you killed Mville and VCSU and shrunk BSU back down to its mandate of being a CC?

The official word:
    NDUS comprises four regional universities (Dickinson State University, Mayville State University, Minot State University and VCSU), two research universities (North Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota), and five community colleges (Bismarck State College, Dakota College at Bottineau, Lake Region State College, North Dakota State College of Science and Williston State College).

The NDUS schools work cooperatively to provide students access to excellence and innovation in education

I no sooner post this and then I see this.

http://www.inforum.com/news/educatio...e-universities

btw he is correct with regard to location bound students...they are a huge market and have a lot of real needs BBUUUTTTTT that is also why there is online adult education. Location is not going to be their only challenge and creating a few night classes will not meet said challenges.

You cant make this crap up! The Chancellor is not showing me much to change my first impression!

Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

GRAFTONBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    Boom!!!!!!!

Seems that Mr. Chancellor needs to get together with Bresciani and make this work. Don't think it is impossible for these two seemingly different statements to be a unified statement if you ask me.
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Seems that Mr. Chancellor needs to get together with Bresciani and make this work. Don't think it is impossible for these two seemingly different statements to be a unified statement if you ask me.
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.
    Reading between the lines, it seems like Bresciani is saying:

"Give us funding to fix the buildings we already have that are falling apart and NDSU will fund its on campus growth without you because while our retention rate is already the best in the state (thankyou very much) and we are continually working to improve upon it even further, the best way to improve it is through the growth of on campus students. Thanks for the online student suggestion BTW, we'll include that in our plans too.

I really don't have that much of a problem with what the Chancellor has said... it's what he and the SBoHE does that matters.

Business leaders need to tell the Legislature to pull their heads out of their asses because having NDSU do what schools like UND and stress distance learning to people in CA and WA is not going to address employee shortages.

Of course, any head-from-ass removal has to start with guys being able to find said ass using either one or both hands.