Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Verbal: Lincoln Gibbs

Default Re: 2017 Verbal: Lincoln Gibbs

Kid made a good decision. Money talks and he should take it. Good for him.

Jeremy Hoeck article on Gibbs commiting to South Dakota

At the basic level, it came down to this for Gibbs: NDSU’s offer had
    been as a walk-on, while USD came later with a
    scholarship offer. The Coyotes, though, had always been on his radar, he added.
    http://m.yankton.net/sports/article_....html?mode=jqm

Here is my question for those "in the know." Would NDSU hold this against Gibbs? What I mean is, say he blows up his senior year (yes, I know hard in such a small program, but I am asking a general recruiting question) and NDSU decides they want him even more, and think they should have scholied him. Would they hold his "flipping" against him and not do it? Or would they think we made an error in our assessment, and come back with a scholie and try to flip him?

Just curious. With these early commitments, I have a hard time holding it against someone doing what Lincoln did, but perhaps the old schoolers think that is a lack of character?

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Here is my question for those "in the know." Would NDSU hold this against Gibbs? What I mean is, say he blows up his senior year (yes, I know hard in such a small program, but I am asking a general recruiting question) and NDSU decides they want him even more, and think they should have scholied him. Would they hold his "flipping" against him and not do it? Or would they think we made an error in our assessment, and come back with a scholie and try to flip him?

Just curious. With these early commitments, I have a hard time holding it against someone doing what Lincoln did, but perhaps the old schoolers think that is a lack of character?
    I personally wouldn't have a problem with this at all. It's not like we offered him a scholly and he changed his mind and took a similar one with another school. I think the kid really wanted to be a Bison, but even more he wants to play D1 football. If a home state school comes along and offers money there's nothing wrong with the kid taking it. He can play his cards just like a college does. If he comes out and has a monster season, lets swoop in and snag him back. I mean heck, I don't know what gets said behind closed doors between recruits and our staff. Maybe there are discussions that happen where they kind of leave an offer or two out there with some kids to see how they do in their senior season. I could be way off too, but I'm not "in the know".
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

I don't know how they can hold it against the kid. Like 13>1 said, when an in-state school offers him money over an out-of-state school offering a PWO (if you can call that an offer) it's pretty hard to get upset about the kid taking the in-state offer no matter what the state of each program is. I still don't know why he "committed" in the first place so early when there wasn't any money on the table from NDSU. However, if I'm an NDSU coach and I have recruiting budget left come January there's probably a little vindictive part of me that wants to offer Gibbs to see if I can flip him away from USD since they flipped him away from NDSU back in August.

I just don't think NDSU wants to spend any scholarship money on a RB when they have an absurd amount of young talent at that position. Nothing against Gibbs....they just want to fill positional needs with scholarship $ first!

Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    I just don't think NDSU wants to spend any scholarship money on a RB when they have an absurd amount of young talent at that position. Nothing against Gibbs....they just want to fill positional needs with scholarship $ first!
    Yep. Like I said before. 11 seniors. 13 verbals.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Not the question I am asking; I am asking more in general for any recruit who does something like this.

Not the question I am asking; I am asking more in general for any recruit who does something like this.
    Yeah I'm just thinking that its done and no they will not offer him a schollie.....they will get somebody who is also a very good RB to walk on.

Yeah I'm just thinking that its done and no they will not offer him a schollie.....they will get somebody who is also a very good RB to walk on.
    Still not what I am asking; I only used him as an example.