Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody knocking on the door for Coach Bohl?

Default Re: Anybody knocking on the door for Coach Bohl?

Knock, knock.
    Who's there?
    UND.
    UND Whioux.

Petrino's obviously the name on that list. I'm not sure why Mark Mangino doesn't get more attention. He's great at turning around struggling programs but very abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Knock, knock.
    Who's there?
    UND.
    UND Whioux.
    ha ha........good one tony!

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Knock, knock.
    Who's there?
    UND.
    UND Whioux.

Well played!!!
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    Bohl is 55/6 years old. If he wins third straight, what does he have to accomplish here? His legacy is secure.

So if someone offers him seven figures, you would think he would have to take it.

A big contract offers him and his family financial security for this generation but the next? If someone offers you 3 or 4 times your current salary and a challenge, wouldn't you take it?

Wife from here, working here. For a million bump in salary, she doesn't need to work.

In many regards, if he were offered the jump, I would expect him to take the money and run,.
    Legacy secured as best coach and a legend yes. But 10 years, a couple more natties and a move up to FBS happens and we might be playing at Craig Bohl Stadium after that.

I have said this before and will say it again. I fully expect CB to sit down and listen to any serious offers out there. 7 figure salaries don't come around all that often and he could set his grandchildren up with one contract. I also think CB won't just take any job. There will have to be some tangible evidence an institution is committed to winning. Strong booster foundation, supportive administration, and an athletic director he can work with. If I remember right, his current contract is set up to allow for a fairly smooth exit if he were offered a BCS program position.

He has developed a seriously effective formula. I think CB knows if that would translate to the next level. The next level is a completely different animal. Right now, he is making a living out of bringing in these FCS/FBS tweeners and using four to five years developing them into high level football players who can play at any level. In a BCS program, he can't take chances on tweeners. He has to recruit athletes with stars after their name. Sometimes those athletes don't stick around for four years. It changes the way you want to run your program.

If you were to ask me, I think the most impact he could have at the FBS level would that next level down from the BCS conferences. He could run a very similar program to here because he could recruit some of the same kids with a four year commitment. He could develop teams that could compete with the big boys based on discipline and fundamentals. He could do exactly what he is doing here with 20 more scholarships, creating that depth that can compete every week against FBS competition. In fact, the best way for him to impact FBS the greatest would be for NDSU to move up and then he wouldn't have to move away, if that is his goal. Right now, with 20 more scholarships, NDSU would be competitive in most FBS conferences.

This isn't an argument for NDSU to move up as I think that will happen when the right people think it is the right move. I just think if you see Coach Bohl move up, the program will have to look very similar to what is going on here or have the potential for that. I also think any program that is currently needing serious rebuilding has to be patient for 3-5 years and allow CB to work his plan. What BCS programs would give a guy a 5 year time period to build a system? Then, once that system is built, knowing your coach is in the twilight of his career. Granted early 60s is pretty young these days and I don't think anyone gets hired thinking much past the first contract, but would 10 years be enough to establish the Bohl tradition in another institution? 10 more years here and like bison_by_blood said, you are going to games in Bohl Stadium.

It will be very interesting what direction CB might take if offered the perfect position for him and his family. I am not worried about Bison football because there is now a tradition established and the next coach has to keep that tradition, not build it. I would actually be more worried if Taylor left and that leg of support wavered.

People always say the CB system takes too long for it to work at the FBS level. Wrong. We have to remember he even admitted to not working the recruiting trails very hard after they won a little bit. You have to think the whole shebang started after the 3-8 season. If you look at it that way, the team wasn't full of 4-5 year guys, he brought in an amazing freshman class, went 9-5 and to the quarterfinals...the next two years we won championships. That's a QUICK turnaround from 3-8...his system in place or not. Think about it....and before that, he was recruiting to a DII team that wasn't eligible for the playoffs.

When it counted, it took him two years to flip the program from bottom feeder to champion. Impressive.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    People always say the CB system takes too long for it to work at the FBS level. Wrong. We have to remember he even admitted to not working the recruiting trails very hard after they won a little bit. You have to think the whole shebang started after the 3-8 season. If you look at it that way, the team wasn't full of 4-5 year guys, he brought in an amazing freshman class, went 9-5 and to the quarterfinals...the next two years we won championships. That's a QUICK turnaround from 3-8...his system in place or not. Think about it....and before that, he was recruiting to a DII team that wasn't eligible for the playoffs.

When it counted, it took him two years to flip the program from bottom feeder to champion. Impressive.
    I agree if he is out recruiting 4 and 5 star athletes right away to play as sophomores that he can win pretty quick. I also think that unless you are one of the top 5 programs in the country, you can't sustain that level for very long. CB's system here is predicated on recruiting guys who are projected to contribute at year two and start year three and four (there are exceptions). If he were to carry that same system to the next level, then he can not recruit 4 or 5 star athletes who are leaving after year two. It would be a minimum of four years to build a sustainable, competitive program at the FBS level. It would be the fifth year he will have established a rhythm for the program.

CB also said after some early success, then failure, he wasn't recruiting the right players for the MVFC. He also learned he has to recruit every position, every year. For example, you can't stagger recruiting QBs. Just because you had a Walker and Jensen, sometimes the Mertens don't work out so well and since you banked on longevity, no one else is ready. I think the very lessons that were learned in those first few years has contributed greatly to the possibility of sustained success. Also, everyone didn't see the last two championships happening. We were all looking at 2013 as the year everything would gel together from his "first" great recruiting class. The loss to EWU probably jump started this program as much as any game in the first few years. If you get out of the conference, you can compete with anyone.

I think any program wanting to hire CB wouldn't be looking for a quick fix. He has turned into a program building coach.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Shit, the Washington Huskies job just opened up. That's probably the only Pac12 team other than Stanford that CB's philosophy would thrive. Historically, the Huskies have been a mirror of old Michigan teams.
    Insert something clever here...

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

@WyoNationDotCom: If I'm reading into Burman's teleconference it seems like Craig Bohl from NDSU is a top choice. Tough teams, mentally and physically

https://twitter.com/wyonationdotcom/...32438244802560