Page 50 of 2604 FirstFirst ... 404849505152601001505501050 ... LastLast

Thread: Carson Wentz

SoCalBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Wentz

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    All I know is that when he drops back to pass I never get that "Oh shit" feeling in my stomach.
    Yeah, that's it. Carson is developing quickly. Only 4 games as a starter, there's a ton of potential that we'll see in the next 10 weeks or so. I'm looking forward to the ride.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    I think u guys r totally blowing this Jensen vs wentz thing totally out of proportion. Yes Jensen was great last year but he still struggled at times. If you match up game four last year and game five which were against sdsu and uni jensens numbers sucked. In game four of last year Equivalent to the Montana game this year Jensen was 10-20 with an Int and only 109 yards. He followed that fabulous game with UNI where he went a whopping 13-24 for 99 yards. If you look at the first five games of last year most likely Wentz will eclipse Brock in stats after this next game, although stats are not everything.

In my opinion Wentz has looked better than the 2012 Jensen and almost equivalent with 2013 Jensen. Wentz is dealing with an inexperienced line. One thing that really sticks out to me is that Wentz uses the middle of the field whereas Jensen tended to love the out pattern. The middle should be open on play action passes and that always drove me nuts with Brock.
    Hmmm, I had forgotten those particular game stats. I look forward to watching Wentz vs UNI as well as a couple other MVC teams.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think some aspects of Wentz's game are ahead of Jensen others behind. I think he reads well, much better than Jensen (there were a couple Saturday that I don't even know how he saw). I think he moves around the pocket better. He is not a better game manager, doesn't quite know when to take off and run as well, and I think Jensen throws a more catchable ball. Wentz seems to power throws some that don't need to be.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Last years offensive line was maybe our best ever. There were games last season where Brock wasn't getting closed to being touched. I am pleased in what I have seen with Carson so far this season but the continued improvement of our O-line will determine how successful our QB and team will be this year.

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    I think some aspects of Wentz's game are ahead of Jensen others behind. I think he reads well, much better than Jensen (there were a couple Saturday that I don't even know how he saw). I think he moves around the pocket better. He is not a better game manager, doesn't quite know when to take off and run as well, and I think Jensen throws a more catchable ball. Wentz seems to power throws some that don't need to be.
    I agree with this. I think a lot of our offense so far has been used to set up stuff for the future. For example the fullhouse pistol formation with all three backs in the backfield. They ran out of this formation three times and it was all stretch plays to the outside. I remember Lynch from NIU running this formation, and would pull it out and triple option to the back runningback (Crockett in our formation). Also would like to see us stretch the field soon. Since the deep ball in Iowa St, we haven't seen much of pushing the ball down field. A couple seem throws to our TE's as about it. Other than that, can't complain. The team seems to have nothing but great things to say about his work ethic and leadership. 4-0 on the year and a plus turnover differential. Offense will keep growing, defense just needs to stay healthy and build depth.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    I blame Ryan Smith for graduating. He was a HUGE part of the passing game and moved the chains many, many times.
    ^^^^^This.

And Smith was also able to stretch the field both vertically (fly patterns) and horizontally (jet sweeps) with his crazy northern speed. We have yet to find, or (so far) show, much of anyone (Dudzik?), who can do the same. Once we do.....look out (again!) MVC and FCS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    ^^^^^This.

And Smith was also able to stretch the field both vertically (fly patterns) and horizontally (jet sweeps) with his crazy northern speed. We have yet to find, or (so far) show, much of anyone (Dudzik?), who can do the same. Once we do.....look out (again!) MVC and FCS!
    On second thought, with what we have on the field now - after just 4 games.....................look out anyway MVC and FCS!!

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    ^^^^^This.

I think Urzendowski will turn into a real player maker in the slot. He seems to have a good feel for the open spot and has went across the middle quiet of bit. I still don't know who will be out jet sweep threat. Darius Anderson has ran it a couple times. We still haven't heard much from Tyler Wrice. I would rather keep Dudzik on defense than expose him to more pounding on offense. Eric Perkins fits the mold, but we have yet to see him run the play. We have to remember Ryan was a former RB, so it was natural for him to run those sweep plays and get into the open field.

Quote Originally Posted by tolnabison View Post
    I think Urzendowski will turn into a real player maker in the slot.
    I agree on this. It feels like right now, Carson has settled on the TE as his security blanket, whereas Brock used Smith as his. However, when you watch RJ, he just has good instincts; it is just a matter of time before he starts settling into the Smith role.

Quote Originally Posted by tolnabison View Post
    I think Urzendowski will turn into a real player maker in the slot. He seems to have a good feel for the open spot and has went across the middle quiet of bit. I still don't know who will be out jet sweep threat. Darius Anderson has ran it a couple times. We still haven't heard much from Tyler Wrice. I would rather keep Dudzik on defense than expose him to more pounding on offense. Eric Perkins fits the mold, but we have yet to see him run the play. We have to remember Ryan was a former RB, so it was natural for him to run those sweep plays and get into the open field.
    I think RJ is going to be tremendous also. I think he will, and is, filling some of Ryan's role just fine and dandy. It's the stretching the field part (both horizontally and vertically) that I'm just not sure I've seen yet from anyone.