Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Softball

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2020 Softball

Yeah I'm not sure how playing in a relatively dumpy conference with little to no exposure is better that being in a bigger conference with better teams overall. Sure we get to the NCAA most every year but doing it playing relatively trash schools doesn't scream come play for NDSU to even better players. To put it in perspective, it's like Jacksonville State or Colgate for that matter in football saying how good they are and we all know how good those teams are in football. Inflated records because they play weak competition. Colgate had the #1 defense in the country (so they and many had said) we proved that was a lie.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    What do you mean by take it to the next level? You mean like get into a better conference?

If you're wanting to get more exposure/respect, moving to a bigger and better conference that has more exposure/respect is exactly what you're looking for...

NDSU softball can be an even better program than our one super regional per decade, but it won't happen in the Summit.
    Power 5 would be worth it but that will never happen and all of the other conferences are basically 1 bid leagues. None of them are National seeds either. Attendance wouldnt be any better losing bus trips and travel costs would go up. No rivalries. Right now we are basically guaranteed to host the summit league tournament.

I just dont see the wow factor. Would Drake be more exciting than South Dakota State? Would Wyoming suddenly make us a big time destination? Would we suddenly sell out our new stadium vs Northern Iowa? This isnt like wrestling where we get the name Big 12

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Power 5 would be worth it but that will never happen and all of the other conferences are basically 1 bid leagues. None of them are National seeds either. Attendance wouldnt be any better losing bus trips and travel costs would go up. No rivalries. Right now we are basically guaranteed to host the summit league tournament.

I just dont see the wow factor. Would Drake be more exciting than South Dakota State? Would Wyoming suddenly make us a big time destination? Would we suddenly sell out our new stadium vs Northern Iowa? This isnt like wrestling where we get the name Big 12
    He's actually not wrong with this. It's not like basketball where lots of conferences get at-large bids outside the P5.

Here are the list of 2019, non-P5, at-large bids by conference:

American - 2
    Mountain West - 1
    Missouri Valley - 1

That's it. 32 at-large bids last year, and 28 of them went to the P5.

2018 was a little better:
    American - 3
    Big West - 1
    Sun Belt - 1
    Colonial - 1

C-USA - 2
    Sun Belt - 1
    Mountain West - 1

American - 2
    Sun Belt - 1
    Big West- 1

Sun Belt - 1
    Colonial - 1
    Mountain West - 1
    C-USA - 1

So in the last five years, no non-P5 conference has had multiple bids every year. Only the Sun Belt went 4/5. MWC & AAC went 3/5. Overall, four non-P5 at-large bids was the norm, with six in 2018 being the outlier.

Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    He's actually not wrong with this. It's not like basketball where lots of conferences get at-large bids outside the P5.

Here are the list of 2019, non-P5, at-large bids by conference:

American - 2
    Mountain West - 1
    Missouri Valley - 1

That's it. 32 at-large bids last year, and 28 of them went to the P5.

2018 was a little better:
    American - 3
    Big West - 1
    Sun Belt - 1
    Colonial - 1

C-USA - 2
    Sun Belt - 1
    Mountain West - 1

American - 2
    Sun Belt - 1
    Big West- 1

Sun Belt - 1
    Colonial - 1
    Mountain West - 1
    C-USA - 1

So in the last five years, no non-P5 conference has had multiple bids every year. Only the Sun Belt went 4/5. MWC & AAC went 3/5. Overall, four non-P5 at-large bids was the norm, with six in 2018 being the outlier.

Just something to think about.
    I’m not arguing about the fact it would be easier to make the tournament by staying in the summit. I’m saying we’d be a better team if we were in a better conference. I would gladly trade away being in the tourney every year if it meant that when we did make the tourney we were a top two seed in the region.

For me, this opinion applies to all sports btw, not just softball.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I’m not arguing about the fact it would be easier to make the tournament by staying in the summit. I’m saying we’d be a better team if we were in a better conference. I would gladly trade away being in the tourney every year if it meant that when we did make the tourney we were a top two seed in the region.

For me, this opinion applies to all sports btw, not just softball.
    I'm not actually arguing one way or the other. I just saw gabe's assertion and wondered if it was true or not. Was actually surprised at how true it was. I knew the tourney was tilted in favor of the P5, just didn't realize just how much.

That said, what does it really matter if NDSU is seeded 2 or 3 at the regional? There's the obvious advantage of being the top seeded team(which NDSU will almost certainly never be), and there's the advantage of being seeded 3 rather than 4, but there's not really a difference between 3 and 4. At least as far as I know.

Not trying to promote moral victories, But the day was not lost yesterday for the ladies after losing both games.. In the first game vs BYU Freshman Lainey Lyle threw a 2 hitter in the 1-0 loss. And in the 2nd game they got beat 6-5 by a late game hr by #25 Fresno State.

You can also watch all games via Fresno States softball website.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I'm not actually arguing one way or the other. I just saw gabe's assertion and wondered if it was true or not. Was actually surprised at how true it was. I knew the tourney was tilted in favor of the P5, just didn't realize just how much.

That said, what does it really matter if NDSU is seeded 2 or 3 at the regional? There's the obvious advantage of being the top seeded team(which NDSU will almost certainly never be), and there's the advantage of being seeded 3 rather than 4, but there's not really a difference between 3 and 4. At least as far as I know.
    The part about the tournament being favored for the P5 conferences is true I'm sure for all sports that aren't men's basketball. The men's tourney is different because the bubble gets so much visibility and the selection committee actually has to do a good job. Even then, men's basketball is the sport most likely to be adequately funded by non-P5 schools due to lower costs than almost any other sport and the highest revenue ceiling besides football (which takes a ton of money to adequately fund).

In a vacuum you're correct about the 2/3 seed, I suppose other than getting to be the home team in the first game potentially? Being the 4 seed in a double-elimination tournament is really tough. Lose the first game and your chances of making it out are almost nil.

Outside said vacuum, being in a better and more respected conference would likely help slot us against more appropriate seeds. Take last year where the region's 2, 3 and 4 seeds were all the highest-rated seeds compared to the other region tournaments. We got put in a horrible bracket IMO because the Summit doesn't get any respect.

Ex NDSU softball coach Treschal (spelling) moved on from Gophers to SEC Ole Miss.

Gophers hire her Asst. why doesnt Darren get that call? or even before Treschal last time.

anyone wanna clue us in? Summit just that far down the totem pole?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Ex NDSU softball coach Treschal (spelling) moved on from Gophers to SEC Ole Miss.

Gophers hire her Asst. why doesnt Darren get that call? or even before Treschal last time.

anyone wanna clue us in? Summit just that far down the totem pole?
    Darren has gotten the call before, and had no interest in leaving NDSU.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Darren has gotten the call before, and had no interest in leaving NDSU.
    Ole Miss SEC gotta be 3 times the money. maybe 5 times. oh well. thanks.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?