Page 35 of 65 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Ooooo.........doom and gloom. Maybe time to bring back leather helmets.
    Aren't you a test subject of why leather helmets are bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Default Re: When will Matt Larsen contact someone from the FBS about NDSU moving up?

Are we all reading the newspapers out of Bismarck, Fargo, Grand Forks, even some of the national ones?

The state of North Dakota is hurting financially, and by recent reports is presently one of the 2-3 worst states in the US on that count.
    The university system in North Dakota is not getting funding freezes or a modest one-time 2-5% funding reduction. The state legislature is making MASSIVE cuts to the universities. It was close to 20% last year - something like that - and there was recent talk of another 32% reduction. Dickinson State is looking at cutting its entire nursing program and ALL its sports programs. UND (foolishly, in my opinion) cut its women's hockey program, though it has produced Olympians from the region who have won medals. Did anyone see the article in the major newspapers in ND showing that all sports programs at NDSU, even the football program, are not self-sustaining? All of them loose money. (Now I recognize that the sports programs bring intangibles to a university that provide indirect financial benefits, these would not be included in such reports).

Whether we like it or not, NDSU is a public university, meaning no matter what happens, a chunk of its funding and perhaps most of its funding will come from the state. Donors ... they contribute a lot to NDSU's sports programs, something like $8 million per year ... but the state pays the lion's share.

Programs such as SEC, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, Pac-12, and so on ... their operating budgets are something $60-80 million per year. This is the nut to crack if NDSU is going to move up to FBS and be a realistic contender. And if it will not be a realistic contender, then why move up?

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Ooooo.........doom and gloom. Maybe time to bring back leather helmets.
    The current model is not sustainable by the universities or the media that supports it. It will drive changes from the top down.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    The current model is not sustainable by the universities or the media that supports it. It will drive changes from the top down.
    And you are an expert based on what?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Aren't you a test subject of why leather helmets are bad?

At least I don't think stagnation is the next best thing to moving backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Are we all reading the newspapers out of Bismarck, Fargo, Grand Forks, even some of the national ones?

The state of North Dakota is hurting financially, and by recent reports is presently one of the 2-3 worst states in the US on that count.
    The university system in North Dakota is not getting funding freezes or a modest one-time 2-5% funding reduction. The state legislature is making MASSIVE cuts to the universities. It was close to 20% last year - something like that - and there was recent talk of another 32% reduction. Dickinson State is looking at cutting its entire nursing program and ALL its sports programs. UND (foolishly, in my opinion) cut its women's hockey program, though it has produced Olympians from the region who have won medals. Did anyone see the article in the major newspapers in ND showing that all sports programs at NDSU, even the football program, are not self-sustaining? All of them loose money. (Now I recognize that the sports programs bring intangibles to a university that provide indirect financial benefits, these would not be included in such reports).

Whether we like it or not, NDSU is a public university, meaning no matter what happens, a chunk of its funding and perhaps most of its funding will come from the state. Donors ... they contribute a lot to NDSU's sports programs, something like $8 million per year ... but the state pays the lion's share.

Programs such as SEC, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, Pac-12, and so on ... their operating budgets are something $60-80 million per year. This is the nut to crack if NDSU is going to move up to FBS and be a realistic contender. And if it will not be a realistic contender, then why move up?
    We wouldn't be hurting so bad if it wasn't so poorly managed at the height of the income, we still sit on 2 plus billion in a reserve fund.

ND is financially far better then 90 percent of the states, our leaders are just not good at using/saving funds on needed and unneeded items

The budget is required by state constitution to be balanced before the leg session ends which only meet every 2 years in ND not annually like other States so cuts are more extreme seemingly
    Last edited by tjbison; 04-30-2017 at 03:05 PM.
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

At least I don't think stagnation is the next best thing to moving backwards.
    Stagnation? Clearly, you don't understand how running an athletic department on a very limited budget works.

Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Stagnation? Clearly, you don't understand how running an athletic department on a very limited budget works.

Clearly you spend too much time on this message board playing the role of king shit on turd island.

Clearly you spend too much time on this message board playing the role of king shit on turd island.
    Okay man-child, enlighten us how we can move up without failing at this moment.

And try to do it without the whining.

Hail the BISON!!!

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Lardsin must go!