Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Wake up Bison Nation!

Default Re: Wake up Bison Nation!

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post

Second, down the road, in the distant future, how are we as fans going to remember these years of Bison football? I was a student in the late 80's when we had some very kick ass teams. Many of those games were blowouts as well. In '88 we went undefeated and cruised to a national title. "

Cruised? they barely won half their games...

Would that be the legendary 1988 team that beat the mighty Augustana 28-26? the unstoppable St Cloud State 29-28? the monsters of the Midway Mankato 21-17? beat UND 34-27? I mean UND???? the team that won the last 3 play off games by 10-22-14? They beat Millersville by 10 in the playoffs? a school I have never heard of and they only dominated in the playoffs as they brought teams to dakotah field and froze their ass off....

Those seem like there would have been a lot of exciting games though - edge of your seat stuff... Bison games only look as close as 40 points cause the coach sits everyone but redshirts or runs 3 play offense half of every game... if Kleiman was paid a 2K bonus per point they would average 80 a game..

1988 was an achievement. this is an ass kicking against inferior schools. at what point say 9-10 or 14-15 titles would be enough for most people? I love the bison and still watch every game but can anyone really say they enjoy the second half of more than 2 games a year? from a actual entertainment stand point? call me a troll but they aren't selling out playoff games even.. Hopefully this was a fluke year and we have the target field game and the Pac 12 games to look forward to. rather than the likes of Montana state??? Hell can we get Millersvile on the phone cause at least they gave us a game once!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    Holy crap, sounds like Bobcat fans before they played us. Yeah, I thing some of our fans are getting ahead of ourselves.
    Not that this hypothetical match up will happen, but if it did, I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that we'd keep it closer with Alabama than Montana State did with us. NDSU would look like they belonged while getting beat like pretty much all the other decent teams that Alabama plays. My guess is that it would end up with Alabama scoring around 30-something while we score in the low 20s. Ask a recent player sometime. See what they think.

Per Sagarin, we're rated only about 3 touchdowns less than Alabama. MT State is about 4 TDs + FG lower than us. We're rated comparably to teams that Alabama beat by 20-ish points, but the Bison also play up for the big games.

Quote Originally Posted by fmfantasy View Post
    Cruised? they barely won half their games...

Would that be the legendary 1988 team that beat the mighty Augustana 28-26? the unstoppable St Cloud State 29-28? the monsters of the Midway Mankato 21-17? beat UND 34-27? I mean UND???? the team that won the last 3 play off games by 10-22-14? They beat Millersville by 10 in the playoffs? a school I have never heard of and they only dominated in the playoffs as they brought teams to dakotah field and froze their ass off....

Those seem like there would have been a lot of exciting games though - edge of your seat stuff... Bison games only look as close as 40 points cause the coach sits everyone but redshirts or runs 3 play offense half of every game... if Kleiman was paid a 2K bonus per point they would average 80 a game..

Yeah, you obviously weren't around then. The best teams in the nation were in our conference. The playoffs were the easy part of the schedule.

I get your point. It just goes to show you how 30 years time can cloud your memory. So in thirty years time, you will probably look back fondly upon this season as having nothing but fun competitive games.
    Last edited by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN; 12-04-2018 at 12:16 PM.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Wake up Bison Nation!

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    You are completely missing the point about competition. But whatever.

NDSU, in the aggregate and over time, clearly outmatches its FCS competition. For closer competition, we can either regress to the level of other FCS teams, or we can improve the level of the competition we play. I'm for latter. Others (perhaps you) are for doing nothing and eventually maybe we'll become mediocre, and then all the FBS people will look silly. Awesome plan.

There's no convincing some people that NDSU can and should strive to be even greater. The fact is, the belief that we need to move up is the highest compliment to the team.
    I get what your saying. I just wonder if this team, with all the seniors and experience is a once every 5 year team or not. I have no doubt we will still be good next year I just don’t expect this year to repeat.

I thought the MVFC did up their game over the last few years but this year is a down year.

I’m just not completely sold that the next step whatever that might be would really be that much better. We are closer to being in the Sun Belt or MAC than the MWC. Anyone watch the Tuesday night MAC games? FWIW, I’m closer to being in the FBS camp than I was 3-4 years ago.

Our success is our own worst enemy. What a problem to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Invites don't usually come out of thin air. What is being done to secure one? I honestly want to know. If NDSU has asked 2 or 3 different conferences to look at them and all the conferences told us "no way in hell", then NDSU needs to tell the fans that. But they haven't told us that. NDSU hasn't told us what efforts have been made to move to FBS, only to have those efforts rebuffed. Hence, I have no reason to believe those efforts have been made.
    Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    Matthew.Larson@ndsu.edu
    701-231-8985

Let us know what the athletic director says has been done in regards to begging FBS conferences to take us.
    You know it. I wish these people that keep pushing for for FBS would actually do more than spout off on a message board. Make some calls, write some some 6 figure checks, then we'll see how it goes.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    I get what your saying. I just wonder if this team, with all the seniors and experience is a once every 5 year team or not. I have no doubt we will still be good next year I just don’t expect this year to repeat.

I thought the MVFC did up their game over the last few years but this year is a down year.

I’m just not completely sold that the next step whatever that might be would really be that much better. We are closer to being in the Sun Belt or MAC than the MWC. Anyone watch the Tuesday night MAC games? FWIW, I’m closer to being in the FBS camp than I was 3-4 years ago.

Our success is our own worst enemy. What a problem to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Is the MVFC really down this year? I guess it depends how you look at it. There's a good chance the MVFC will have 50% of the remaining teams after Saturday and I'd take 4-7 Youngstown State every day of the week against Montana St. The conference is brutally tough, that's what makes NDSU running the table even more impressive.

Another thing to keep in mind: NDSU's athletic budget isn't even in the top 10 of the FCS. They're not this much better than the rest of the subdivision because we're such great fans that support the program so well, they're there primarily because of superior talent and work ethic on the roster and coaching staff.

What they're doing isn't easy and they've gotten to where they are due in no small part to some good fortune. This program could just as easily be in the spot Montana (who has similar if not better funding and support) is at right now with the wrong hires on the coaching staff and some recruiting missteps and there's no guarantee that they won't hit that "floor" at some point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    You know it. I wish these people that keep pushing for for FBS would actually do more than spout off on a message board. Make some calls, write some some 6 figure checks, then we'll see how it goes.
    Now that's a great idea. They don't seem to get the point that they can vent their spleen all they want and nothing is going to happen anytime soon. Small rant over, continue the pointless bitching.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

You are completely missing the point about competition. But whatever.

NDSU, in the aggregate and over time, clearly outmatches its FCS competition. For closer competition, we can either regress to the level of other FCS teams, or we can improve the level of the competition we play. I'm for latter. Others (perhaps you) are for doing nothing and eventually maybe we'll become mediocre, and then all the FBS people will look silly. Awesome plan.

There's no convincing some people that NDSU can and should strive to be even greater. The fact is, the belief that we need to move up is the highest compliment to the team.
    Our ability to move to an FBS conference has remarkably little to do with the quality of the football team.