Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Dakota Bowl XXXI (2023)

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Dakota Bowl XXXI (2023)

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Everything but the claim they don't recruit. If you or any of your friends have kids in sports you know they recruit.
    Absolutely incorrect. I have had kids playing varsity sports the past 9 years at Shanely and I can not think of one kid that has been "recruited" for sports to Shanley. Sure kids will talk to other kids, parents will talk to other parents "send your kid to Shanley" but it doesn't happen. My kids have been involved in football boys and girls basketball, track and cross country. If you have an example of a kid that has transferred because of recruitment, I would like to know who it is.

Parents and kids make the decision to come to Shanley or any private schools for many other reasons aside from sports. Education, structure, smaller classes, parent involvement, the village concept as parents, students and instructors get to know each other. It's part of the program.

I happen to be on a high level Shanley advisory committee which includes the JP 2 president and athletic director. The concept of "recruiting" is discussed but it is not school policy and in cases if the student wants to come to Shanley to play sports has been denied as that is not how Shanley wants to grow its enrollment.

The last two state football championship teams were home grown in which a majority of the kids attended Shanley all 12 years. Same can be said for the run of state girls basketball championship and the recent boys soccer team. These kids have schooled and competed together for years.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

I didn't see any 800lb kids on the roster.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    I didn't see any 800lb kids on the roster.
    It's the combination of the lifts. Clean, squat and bench. 3 kids 5 years ago met this goal. 28 last year. we have an excellent weight and conditioning program.

Did Shanley get moved up because of the competition rule or did they do it on their own?

Caviler got forced up, made the 11 man playoffs and is petitioning to move back to 9 man before the 3 years are up. Guess they have dwindling numbers as the reason.

Lardsin must go!

Did Shanley get moved up because of the competition rule or did they do it on their own?

Caviler got forced up, made the 11 man playoffs and is petitioning to move back to 9 man before the 3 years are up. Guess they have dwindling numbers as the reason.
    Shanley 5 years played top level boys and girls bb. Played one level lower in Football. Last year in 2AA played the likes of Casselton, Wahpeton, Watford City, Jamestown. When Coach Mattern came on board he wanted the school at top level for football. He had administration support but the parents did not like the concept. Over time parents bought in. We have the lowest enrollment of any 3A school in the state, in addition to lower numbers than South, North and Red River. I would assume GF Central as well.

Based on the formula, Shanley could potentially play down 2 levels from current status, but might get "kicked up" to 2A due to on field success.

So yes, they wanted to move up.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    It's the combination of the lifts. Clean, squat and bench. 3 kids 5 years ago met this goal. 28 last year. we have an excellent weight and conditioning program.
    A buddy of mine played college football with your S & C guy. Spoke very highly of him. You could see it on the field too.

Shanley 5 years played top level boys and girls bb. Played one level lower in Football. Last year in 2AA played the likes of Casselton, Wahpeton, Watford City, Jamestown. When Coach Mattern came on board he wanted the school at top level for football. He had administration support but the parents did not like the concept. Over time parents bought in. We have the lowest enrollment of any 3A school in the state, in addition to lower numbers than South, North and Red River. I would assume GF Central as well.

Based on the formula, Shanley could potentially play down 2 levels from current status, but might get "kicked up" to 2A due to on field success.

I'm guessing now with 3 semi final appearances in the last 3 years they actually can't move down would be their current status.

Lardsin must go!

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think a key factor is that Shanley built the program up while in AA and enjoyed a great amount of success. That’s what I’m hoping for with the Minot schools. Give them a chance to build both programs up in AA and then opt up. I’m afraid the arrogance of the administration and the good old boys club in Minot will insist on getting annihilated in AAA.

I'm guessing now with 3 semi final appearances in the last 3 years they actually can't move down would be their current status.
    Interesting question and one that isn't talked about at Shanley. The last time I saw the numbers, and the enrollment gets weighted. For example a certain percentage of some schools the kids are weighted less then 1. In other cases, the kids are weighted more than 1. Even with the weighting system. Shanley is substantially smaller than South and North. Their numbers are more along Kindred and Casselton who I believe two classes lower than the current 3A. Could Shanley drop to 2a and play South, Red River, Central, Jamestown. I think the answer is yes.

Could they drop to the Class A ( I think that is the class) and play Kindred, Trinity, Casselton. I don't think so, they would get bumped up at least 1 level.

Absolutely incorrect. I have had kids playing varsity sports the past 9 years at Shanely and I can not think of one kid that has been "recruited" for sports to Shanley. Sure kids will talk to other kids, parents will talk to other parents "send your kid to Shanley" but it doesn't happen. My kids have been involved in football boys and girls basketball, track and cross country. If you have an example of a kid that has transferred because of recruitment, I would like to know who it is.

Parents and kids make the decision to come to Shanley or any private schools for many other reasons aside from sports. Education, structure, smaller classes, parent involvement, the village concept as parents, students and instructors get to know each other. It's part of the program.

I happen to be on a high level Shanley advisory committee which includes the JP 2 president and athletic director. The concept of "recruiting" is discussed but it is not school policy and in cases if the student wants to come to Shanley to play sports has been denied as that is not how Shanley wants to grow its enrollment.

The last two state football championship teams were home grown in which a majority of the kids attended Shanley all 12 years. Same can be said for the run of state girls basketball championship and the recent boys soccer team. These kids have schooled and competed together for years.
    Bullshit. You must not be connected to the hockey program very well.