Thread: Stat: Polls since 2007

Default Stat: Polls since 2007

I've been cleaning up and organizing FCS media and coaches poll ranking from the 2007 season on.

Now I show that:

NDSU has been ranked #1 59 times in the Coaches Poll and 49 times in the Media Poll.
    NDSU has been unranked 17 times and 24 times respectively.
    NDSU's average rank for the last 11 seasons has been 7.2 and 7.6 respectively (if I assign #26 to represent a non-ranked.)
    NDSU's average rank for the last 11 seasons has been 9.8 and 11.3 respectively (if I assign #50 to represent a non-ranked.)

When assigning #26 to unranked teams, the top 10 over the last 11 years are:

Coaches Poll
    School Avg Rank
    North Dakota State 7.19
    Montana 11.46
    James Madison 11.54
    Eastern Washington 12.11
    Northern Iowa 12.97
    New Hampshire 13.29
    Jacksonville State 14.4
    Richmond 14.64
    Sam Houston State 14.82
    Villanova 15.47

Media Poll
    School Avg Rank
    North Dakota State 7.61
    Montana 11.63
    Eastern Washington 11.88
    James Madison 11.97
    Northern Iowa 12.74
    New Hampshire 13.05
    Jacksonville State 14.21
    Richmond 14.37
    Sam Houston State 14.45
    Villanova 15.14

SHSU is really underrated considering that they've made the semis five times and the championship twice in that time period.
    EWU: Semis four time, championship once
    Jacksonville State: Semis once, championship once.
    Montana: three semis, two championships

Default Re: Stat: Polls since 2007

we suck. need to do better.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    we suck. need to do better.
    Chill---next thing you know you will be predicting we are going to lose games 52-10.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Impressed at the spread between us and #2 however I'm actually surprised it's not more. Very cool- thanks for the data, I love this crap
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Additionally, I Love seeing Montana, EWU, UNI and JMU in the Top 5. I think the FCS thrives when all of these programs are successful. I actually HOPE that all of those teams have 0-2 losses each year, as long as we aren't one of their victories
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Additionally, I Love seeing Montana, EWU, UNI and JMU in the Top 5. I think the FCS thrives when all of these programs are successful. I actually HOPE that all of those teams have 0-2 losses each year, as long as we aren't one of their victories
    FCS needs some more CAA storied programs to get out of the rut. 2 of Nova/UNH/UD/Richmond all need to be perennial top 10 schools along with JMU. otherwise its just "what team can shape up perfectly to beat NDSU with their 1 shot".

Montana needs to do the opposite of whatever the fuck theyve been trying to do the last 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Impressed at the spread between us and #2 however I'm actually surprised it's not more. Very cool- thanks for the data, I love this crap
    I think if it weren't for a couple of rough years in 2008 and 2009, then it would be a lot more significant. Do these same statistics starting in 2010 or 2011 and I think the gap would grow.

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    I think if it weren't for a couple of rough years in 2008 and 2009, then it would be a lot more significant. Do these same statistics starting in 2010 or 2011 and I think the gap would grow.
    For the decade starting in 2010, the numbers look like:

Coaches Poll

Descr Ranking
    North Dakota State 4.47
    Eastern Washington 9.1
    Sam Houston State 11.08
    Jacksonville State 11.42
    James Madison 12.32
    Montana State 14.18
    Montana 14.49
    New Hampshire 14.76
    Northern Iowa 15.69
    Villanova 16.06
    South Dakota State 16.08

Media Poll

Descr Ranking
    North Dakota State 4.62
    Eastern Washington 8.77
    Sam Houston State 10.57
    Jacksonville State 10.96
    James Madison 12.75
    Montana State 14.08
    New Hampshire 14.32
    Montana 14.54
    South Dakota State 15.35
    Northern Iowa 15.46

Like I've said before, Sam Houston State doesn't get much respect - their average final poll ranking is right around 5 which is a lot better than their average in-season ranking.

NDSU's average final ranking in both polls is a pretty dang good 2.25 (so NDSU has been underrated too.)

I don’t know if SHSU is underrated by the polls. I do know who is though: everyone else in the MVFC. it’s not as bad as the DII days but there’s still a lot of counting of Ws and Ls and picking teams off the top of conference standings going on.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie