Page 38 of 60 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Wichita State to the American Athletic Conference?

Default Re: Wichita State to the American Athletic Conference?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    So you're saying NDSU would join the OVC if offered?

(quit smoking dope)

Hell, I no longer seeing us being interested in the Horizon.

We've got a really good thing going in the Summit.
    No but the eastern teams in our conference would. I wouldn't want the ovc for football but other sports maybe.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Enjoy April 20th, my weed smoking friend.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Proof: ISUr went 26-6 and was left out of the tournament.
    If I remember right ISU red didn't really have any signature wins out of conference and beat Wichita once but lost to them by 40 also and then lost by 20 in the conference tourney.

They were a heck of a lot closer than any Summit team has been in the last 10 years to getting in without a autobid.

Now can the Summit teams get better and actually win some signature out of conference games? Sure, but we all need to start doing it otherwise we are just going to keep being a league that is not respected at all by opposing teams, by opposing conferences, by the tourney committee and on the recruiting trail. Basketball scheduling is hard but that is where raising the profile of a basketball league has to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Enjoy April 20th, my weed smoking friend.
    it is indeed

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    None of the Dakota Schools will pass UNI, Illinois St, Misouri St in Basketball, The Summit does not play tough enough OOC and or win those to do that. How do you figure the Summit willall of a sudden be some prestigious respected conference?
    Missouri State? Missouri State?????

Missouri State has won 20 games exactly one time in the last 6 seasons!!! They've lost 20 games twice. They haven't been to the NCAA since 1999. I'm sure their program will magically get better now that WSU/CU are gone, sort of how Augie got good once all the Dakota's cleared out of DII. The Dakota schools have already passed MSU and are equal to ISUr.

This is the problem with the MVC/Summit discussion, fan perception in nowhere near reality when it comes to the quality of MVC basketball programs sans WSU. The selection committee clearly understands reality, and that is why ISUr was snubbed.

Five years ago, I would have supported a move to the MVC in a heartbeat. Not anymore. Not saying it couldn't work or end up being good, but the shine is off the MVC for this fan.

IMO NDSU, and to a lesser but still impactful way SDSU, waltzed into the MVFC and smacked them in the face. I remember fans talking about how it would take the xDSU's 15 years at least to compete. LOL

The xDSU's would do the same in basketball. We would walk in better than 2/3 of their current teams (just like football). With improved recruiting, within 5 years we would both be finishing top 3 consistently (just like football).

Edit: But facilities, attendance, money! BFD, we would be upper half in no time in those metrics as well.

I still consider MVC "better" just due to history it has been a "better" conference. That said though for some odd reason if UNI and/or ISUr ended up leaving MVC for bball all the sudden that conference really is a shell of its former self. Obviously I think this is a huge crossroads that has a dramatic effect on what happens. In a couple cases if Summit gets raided by whoever it could set Summit back yet again. If somehow Summit kept it's core (to me that is the 4 Dakota schools, UNO, Denver, and to lesser extent ORU or WIU) intact somehow and find "decent" replacements near the footprint, as I think these schools have shown they will continue to support athletics and willing to try to invest more money to become better. There is a road there to Summit at least being on nearly equal footing. But if any of the 4 Dakota schools, UNO, Denver get raided it's going to be hard to replace those programs, and will again end up trying to find a diamond in the rough on someone who is willing to get committed. But with the 4 Dakota schools, UNO, and Denver you have a nice little 6 school core there. Just don't know if it'll hold up to the conference shifting.

On that note even if we had SDSU/NDSU going to MVC, if you could somehow pull that off I'd still be a bit leery just due to what is really at this point what would make UNI/ISUr stick around to keep a "core" there that keeps some of the respect? At least until some of the newer members helped add to the respect of the MVC?

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Missouri State? Missouri State?????

Missouri State has won 20 games exactly one time in the last 6 seasons!!! They've lost 20 games twice. They haven't been to the NCAA since 1999. I'm sure their program will magically get better now that WSU/CU are gone, sort of how Augie got good once all the Dakota's cleared out of DII. The Dakota schools have already passed MSU and are equal to ISUr.

This is the problem with the MVC/Summit discussion, fan perception in nowhere near reality when it comes to the quality of MVC basketball programs sans WSU. The selection committee clearly understands reality, and that is why ISUr was snubbed.

Five years ago, I would have supported a move to the MVC in a heartbeat. Not anymore. Not saying it couldn't work or end up being good, but the shine is off the MVC for this fan.
    When your big time vision includes adding a pretty meh Murray State program due to travel and when Valpo or Belmont aren't interested... i think they are waiving the white towels. If travel is your #1 priority, the conference is not powerful or strong.

That being said if the 4 Dakota schools could make the jump, we would all be stupid to not do it. But if we don't get an invite I'm not as excited as I once was.

I just hope when Misery State comes to Fargo next year... we kick the fuck out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    IMO NDSU, and to a lesser but still impactful way SDSU, waltzed into the MVFC and smacked them in the face. I remember fans talking about how it would take the xDSU's 15 years at least to compete. LOL

The xDSU's would do the same in basketball. We would walk in better than 2/3 of their current teams (just like football). With improved recruiting, within 5 years we would both be finishing top 3 consistently (just like football).

Edit: But facilities, attendance, money! BFD, we would be upper half in no time in those metrics as well.
    NDSU didn't exactly waltz in. Took til the 1st title year to even go above .500 in conference.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    NDSU didn't exactly waltz in. Took til the 1st title year to even go above .500 in conference.
    Yeah.. it took a whopping 3 years to make the quarter finals. It took 4 years to win a National Championship and 8 years to win five of them. UNI still is waiting for their first. Heck SDSU is arguably the 2nd best team in the conference or certainly in the top 4. And USD is stating to look pretty solid too.

The Dakota schools would be the strength.