Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer help

Default Re: Computer help

[QUOTE=CAS4127;1190660]
    Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post

Yep, I actually figured that out believe it or not. Thanks tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was a good question. Made me look.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Somebody please explain what this Roku thing is. TIA
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Your passport to cutting the cord. Cheap enough that you can purchase for multiple TV's. I also tell folk be sure to buy most with a LAN drop, as to really "do it right" you often are best to run over LAN than wifi.

Trumpster is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    It's a set top box that you plug into your TV so that you can use online services to view TV/Movies/etc like Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Amazon Prime(?), and other services.
    Hail Hydra.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    It's a set top box that you plug into your TV so that you can use online services to view TV/Movies/etc like Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Amazon Prime(?), and other services.
    My top roku aps:

Sling TV
    Plex
    Play On
    Amazon Prime
    Watch ESPN
    Tablo

No reason for cable/satellite unless you like donating money.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    My top roku aps:

Sling TV
    Plex
    Play On
    Amazon Prime
    Watch ESPN
    Tablo

Well I wish this were actually true. However not every area is endowed with inexpensive high speed access that is also not data capped. In my primary area there is only a single wired option for internet access: DSL. Not satisfactory. And so since I need to be able to work from home and operate interactive sessions with a level of latency that will not tempt me to destroy the computer I have to use a cell signal (LTE) for high speed access. I have it set at present with a 25GB/mo data cap. Can't do very much streaming of any kind before blowing through that limit unfortunately.

So I also still have DirecTV until such time as a) the county/state/private entity runs some fiber or cable to my premise or b) my cell carrier decides to relieve the data caps.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post

Yeah...this comment is a little short sighted. some of us like the convenience of a directv. Not all the channels i watch are available on a single service. Nor do I want a million subscriptions.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Yeah...this comment is a little short sighted. some of us like the convenience of a directv. Not all the channels i watch are available on a single service. Nor do I want a million subscriptions.
    Cutting the cord is not convenient...absolutely no doubt about it. If a person is a channel flipper is probably is not for them. If a person prefers to watch a series stop to finish and/or knows exactly what they want to watch before turning on the tv, it may work and even be better. Personally I found my cable package provided 85%+ stuff I didn't want. Now that I've been without cable for roughly 8 months or so, I am so used to navigating the apps that I don't even notice the change in formats. My kids previously just used the on demand portion when we used cable, so the transition to apps was seamless.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    You are donating money. I do agree you need to have unlimited, high speed. I can't imaging paying for direct TV when i get everything you do for pennies on the dollar. To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    Cutting the cord is not convenient...absolutely no doubt about it. If a person is a channel flipper is probably is not for them. If a person prefers to watch a series stop to finish and/or knows exactly what they want to watch before turning on the tv, it may work and even be better. Personally I found my cable package provided 85%+ stuff I didn't want. Now that I've been without cable for roughly 8 months or so, I am so used to navigating the apps that I don't even notice the change in formats. My kids previously just used the on demand portion when we used cable, so the transition to apps was seamless.
    I think the initial set up is really the issue. Quite simple after that. It is just change like anything else.....