Page 8 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 67891018581085081008 ... LastLast

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Bingo. First of all, I don't think the MWC is much of a step up. More importantly, I have 100% confidence that Boise State will NOT be a member of the MWC when the eventual shakeup happens (they might not be the only one to bolt too). Geography is not our friend.
    I think the MWC is a big step up but I don't see them adding us. It is an upper level G5 conference and a very good basketball conference.

Also not sure where Boise is going to go. Like us they have geography and market issues when you talk about the P5 but on top of that they also have academic issues. The Pac 12 will never touch them, that leaves just the Big 12 and that would make them a big outlier.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    I can see how the state board of higher ed could have some influence IF the money came from the state's coffers however if the stadium was built without any state money they can complain but would not be able to do anything about it.
    Not true. The State would be responsible for maintenance.

also interesting to note.... Eugene Oregon is #121 on the list.
    1) They broadcast in Portland
    2) They have a larger alumni base which is spread all through Pac 12 media markets
    3) extra bonus they are now a national brand with the Knight/Nike stuff

I don't see the state getting in the way if NDSU had the money to build its own stadium all up front, that said I don't think NDSU could built its own stadium without some kind of bonding.

Quote Originally Posted by mnriverbison View Post
    2) They have a larger alumni base which is spread all through Pac 12 media markets
    Just wanted to point out that the number listed in the neilson ratings doesn't much matter. it's the other variables that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Not true. The State would be responsible for maintenance.
    Why would the state pay for maintenance? do they pay for the maintenance of the fargodome? I thought that the authority took care of that.

Why would the state pay for maintenance? do they pay for the maintenance of the fargodome? I thought that the authority took care of that.
    Well they pay for maintenance on the BBF and BSA, buildings the state owns.

Just wanted to point out that the number listed in the neilson ratings doesn't much matter. it's the other variables that matter.
    Totally true that other variables matter, but it's worth painting the whole picture and not just the fraction of the picture that we prefer. Most big 5 schools are not in major cities, but almost to a school they have a large metropolis not to far away where they are the college sports property of value. We don't have that. The truth is that 2nd division football will always be a tough media property to market. Are there any major metros where FCS draws well on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by mnriverbison View Post
    It's also a little different when you've been a member institution for 100 years, instead of putting you hand in the air and begging "pick-me".
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I think the MWC is a big step up but I don't see them adding us. It is an upper level G5 conference and a very good basketball conference.

Also not sure where Boise is going to go. Like us they have geography and market issues when you talk about the P5 but on top of that they also have academic issues. The Pac 12 will never touch them, that leaves just the Big 12 and that would make them a big outlier.
    The bolded may have been true ~5 years ago, but the MW isn't what it used to be. Hell, Wyoming has a decent chance to finish in the top half of the conference this year. No Utah, no BYU, no TCU, and it appears Boise St. may be losing some of its luster.