Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Is this the end of the road for Coach Bohl at NDSU?

Default Re: Is this the end of the road for Coach Bohl at NDSU?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    The Bunnies will be too exhausted from hanging 70 on un_. That game should be hilarious. A sixth ranked team against one of the worst defenses in FCS.
    Hope so. I so enjoy watching un_ getting their butthockeys kicked especially by MVFC opponents!

Remember the quote from Coach Bohl when he signed his contract extension. It was along the line of recruits wanting to know if he was going to be around if they committed to the team. Coach Bohl said he signed the contract as a commitment that he would be around. And yes, we know that things can happen, but for him to emphasize this following the signing of the contract says a lot. In my humble opinion.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We need to look at some sort of lump sum bonus for Bohl. For instance, if he is still the coach on jan 1, 2020 then he will receive 1.5 million dollars. Other non bcs programs have done this and it is a great way to sweeten the pot while recognizing his market value.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    I really wonder about the K state job though if it were to come open. Bohl's and Snyders styles are so comparable. He could actually step in there and the transition wouldn't be as huge to run the system he likes. Play tough mistake free football, control the ball on O and field a good bend but don't break D.
    The KSU post-game show mentioned the possibility of Bohl moving on for a bigger job. K-State may call him for an interview but they will NOT hire him. After the Ron Prince fiasco, K-State will only hire someone with ties to KSU. Leavitt, Franklin, Dimel, etc.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

There are too many intangibles. His salary is a crap ton in Fargo. Fargo is also a great place to live. He could easily fit into the Jerry Moore mold. Remember - Moore was also a IA assistant for a long time before he went to App State and ended up staying there forever.

No reason to put up with all the crap that goes along with a BCS program just for some more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    There are too many intangibles. His salary is a crap ton in Fargo. Fargo is also a great place to live. He could easily fit into the Jerry Moore mold. Remember - Moore was also a IA assistant for a long time before he went to App State and ended up staying there forever.

No reason to put up with all the crap that goes along with a BCS program just for some more money.
    But, if he can sign a 5 year contract for several million dollars......he may well do it and retire with a lot of cash regardless of how his team were to perform. Remember, when a coach gets fires....the contract is bought out.......Big $$$.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

As I posted before, Moore actually had two stops in big boy football as a HC after Iowa, North Texas and then Texas Tech. He flamed out at Texas Tech after five dismal seasons. He was out of football for several years and then went to Appy State. He did not go from Iowa as an assitant to Appy, as you suggest. I would suggest that he stayed at Appy because a) he had been an HC at a major college football program and was unsuccessful, and b) he was so bad there he realistically knew that he had out-kicked his coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    As I posted before, Moore actually had two stops in big boy football as a HC after Iowa, North Texas and then Texas Tech. He flamed out at Texas Tech after five dismal seasons. He was out of football for several years and then went to Appy State. He did not go from Iowa as an assitant to Appy, as you suggest. I would suggest that he stayed at Appy because a) he had been an HC at a major college football program and was unsuccessful, and b) he was so bad there he realistically knew that he had out-kicked his coverage.
    I forgot about TT. I guess we will find out whats really important to Bohl after this season. He will undoubtedly get some offers.

I forgot about TT. I guess we will find out whats really important to Bohl after this season. He will undoubtedly get some offers.
    Not only will he get some offers, I fully expect him to explore every possibility. I think he has earned anything positive that might happen to his career. I also don't want a coach looking back and wondering what could have been. Either if he goes or stays, I want it to be on his terms so there is no looking back. Some guys were made to be head coaches and he is one of them. He has developed a system that should translate into success with any program, as long as he gets the latitude to develop that system.

What has made Bohl so successful is that he hires coordinators that he allows to do their jobs. Bohl manages coordinators and the big picture stuff in a game while he lets his coordinators take care of their respective parts of the game. Like in last year's game with GSU. Bohl said he slipped into the offensive huddle on the sideline because he was curious. Not to micromanage. Just because he was curious. He has a general philosophy about direction, he hires coordinators who share his philosophy, and then trusts they will take care of their business. The funny thing is their failures reflect on him, as well. That is a heck of a lot of trust in your people.

I can't see him as a coordinator. He is a head coach. I hope he is a head coach for NDSU for a long time but I get it and would applaud his decision if he were to move on.

ISXBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I wouldn't be surprised if we lost Gene before we lose Bohl. Losing either would suck.