Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule Change

Default Rule Change

I have felt this way for years and yesterday's events just reminded me of it.

Fumbling the ball through the endzone should not be a touchback. It is the most asinine rule in football, a team is about to score and happens to fumble and now all of a sudden the other team gets the ball at the 20.

They have done nothing to earn the ball unless they recover it IMO, AND why in the hell would you give them 20 yards?

It's a bad rule that needs to be changed in my opinion.

Default Re: Rule Change

What do you think should happen if the ball gets fumbled out of the end zone? I'm not sure about college rules. If a player fumbles the ball in the field of play and it rolls out of bounds 5 yards down the field, do they spot the ball where the fumble occurred or where it went out of bounds.

Didn't this happen to the Bison in another game this year?
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison06 View Post
    I have felt this way for years and yesterday's events just reminded me of it.

Fumbling the ball through the endzone should not be a touchback. It is the most asinine rule in football, a team is about to score and happens to fumble and now all of a sudden the other team gets the ball at the 20.

They have done nothing to earn the ball unless they recover it IMO, AND why in the hell would you give them 20 yards?

It's a bad rule that needs to be changed in my opinion.
    Its too bad that happened because I think that would have put the game away a lot earlier.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

NDSUBowler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Seeing how the UNI player was the last to touch the ball before it hit the pylon led me to thinking...what happens if a defensive player intentionally kicks the ball into the end zone OB? Why should an offense get penalized if, say, they fumble on the 5 and the defender just kicks it into the end zone and OB so it gets called a touchback?

I tend to agree.
    If it's not recovered by an opponent, there should not be a change of posession.
    Just throwin' it out there, but how about putting the ball at the 20, the offense retains posession and it's a loss of down. If the fumble occurred at a point on the field that would have resulted in a first down, then 1st and goal from the 20.
    Please don't flame me. This idea just popped into my tiny pea sized brain. If it has no merit, I'll eat pea soup out of Answer Guy's belly button.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    I tend to agree.
    If it's not recovered by an opponent, there should not be a change of posession.
    Just throwin' it out there, but how about putting the ball at the 20, the offense retains posession and it's a loss of down. If the fumble occurred at a point on the field that would have resulted in a first down, then 1st and goal from the 20.
    Please don't flame me. This idea just popped into my tiny pea sized brain. If it has no merit, I'll eat pea soup out of Answer Guy's belly button.
    I was thinking the same thing today. If the defense doesn't establish possession, that team should not get the ball. Put the ball on the 20 and offense keeps possession. Or since offense can't advance on a fumble, spot the ball at the spot of the fumble and continue with the possession.
    "We did the impossible and that makes us mighty." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yep, it's dumb.

It should be just like any other place on the field. Offense get's the ball at the place it was fumbled (not advanced, nor does at the 20 make any sense).

When defense recovers the current rules make sense... touchback, safety, etc.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    What do you think should happen if the ball gets fumbled out of the end zone? I'm not sure about college rules. If a player fumbles the ball in the field of play and it rolls out of bounds 5 yards down the field, do they spot the ball where the fumble occurred or where it went out of bounds.

Didn't this happen to the Bison in another game this year?
    Correct. If a player fumbles the ball forward out of bounds in the field of play, the ball is brought back to the spot of the fumble. "in the field of play" is a key part of the rule. If the ball is fumbled into and out of B's end zone, then it is a touchback. Allowing A to keep the ball seems like a silly rule change to me. Don't fumble the football and you don't have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldCityBison View Post
    I was thinking the same thing today. If the defense doesn't establish possession, that team should not get the ball. Put the ball on the 20 and offense keeps possession. Or since offense can't advance on a fumble, spot the ball at the spot of the fumble and continue with the possession.
    That is only true on 4th down or a try. Otherwise the offense can advance a fumble.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUBowler View Post
    Seeing how the UNI player was the last to touch the ball before it hit the pylon led me to thinking...what happens if a defensive player intentionally kicks the ball into the end zone OB? Why should an offense get penalized if, say, they fumble on the 5 and the defender just kicks it into the end zone and OB so it gets called a touchback?
    Then you have an illegal kicking foul against the defense. The result of the play would still be a touchback but A will accept the penalty and get the ball half the distance to the goal from the spot of the fumble (assuming it was beyond the previous spot). The down would be replayed unless enforcement put the ball beyond the line to gain.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Correct. If a player fumbles the ball forward out of bounds in the field of play, the ball is brought back to the spot of the fumble. "in the field of play" is a key part of the rule. If the ball is fumbled into and out of B's end zone, then it is a touchback. Allowing A to keep the ball seems like a silly rule change to me. Don't fumble the football and you don't have a problem.

That is only true on 4th down or a try. Otherwise the offense can advance a fumble.

Then you have an illegal kicking foul against the defense. The result of the play would still be a touchback but A will accept the penalty and get the ball half the distance to the goal from the spot of the fumble (assuming it was beyond the previous spot). The down would be replayed unless enforcement put the ball beyond the line to gain.
    The ref on the field said---the ball went in to the endzone spun back hit the pylon at which time it came back in to the field of play. A lot of crazy going on there. I didnt like the ruling BUT he shouldnt have fumbled the ball either.

Can you possibly explain why the ruling was made the way it was?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

Please explain why you think someone fumbling the ball on one part of the field vs. another part of the field should have a completely different result.

For the defense to take possession of the ball in any other area of the playing field they have to earn it by gaining possession. Why in this area of the field when the offense is about to score, should the result be any different than other areas of the field. The defense hasn't done anything to earn possession of the ball and there needs to be research done into coming up with a new rule for this special situation.