Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NDSU STEM building

Default Re: NDSU STEM building

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Still not sure that we're talking about the same place. It'd be nice to see a map with the proposed location.

There were two distinct spaces when I went to NDSU.

There was a big open space by the Union that with a flagpole and criss-crossing sidewalks. That's steadily been covered with concrete. But I never considered that Churchill Field. It was OK but the flagpole and the sidewalks made it unsuitable for playing football.

The east boundary of that area was a north-south sidewalk and a hedge. On the other side of that (and directly south of Churchill Hall) was a completely a green space with no concrete which was much better for running around on. That's what I consider Churchill Field. Looks like they've gotten rid of the hedge so it's actually bigger than it used to be.

I'd have to look closer at it next time I'm in Fargo...I always though the Union expansion was farther out than maybe it is?
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

I think the map Tony posted accurately places the existing Memorial Union.

533 In a row

The original plan was to put the building about where the Churchill Field icon is. The plan included a bus dropoff location off of University so city busses wouldn't have to drive through campus and pick up people south of the union parking lot. The current planned location seems to be right around the N/S sidewalk separating the union patio from the Churchill quad.

Count me among those unhappy with the general location. I can easily think of a half dozen other locations that would work as well and not give up that developed green space.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Construction will soon start on this new classroom/laboratory building. It will be located immediately east of the student union and it will have three floors plus a basement. The basement level will be connected to the student union. Construction bids were right on target with the estimates (about $28,000,000) and they were able to add several optional features to the building. Roers Construction will be the general contractor. The first use of the building will be in spring semester 2016.
    Have you seen a rendering of the building?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Have you seen a rendering of the building?
    Not a recent one. There is a very old one somewhere on NDSU's website, but that was before detailed planning was underway. I took that as more of what it could look like than what it will look like.

533 In a row

I didn't like the original location because I really like Churchill Field, but bisonaudit's idea of putting smack dab on Churchill Field and putting quad between the memorial union makes sense (if they rip up some of the concrete.)

Too bad we can't just move buildings all over or start with a blank slate.

BTW, I wonder if NDSU has a long-term plan. I'd actually be kind of surprised because it takes decades from the time NDSU makes something its number 1 building priority to the Legislature acting on it (unless the Feds or donors kick in more than half the money.) Usually, it's more effective to wait for an alumnus to buy a building downtown or wait for the old building to collapse. On the other hand, if NDSU makes something their number 1 building priority, it gives certain guys in the Legislature something to feel good about not doing at NDSU.

The construction fence is up for the project. It extends all the way from the sidewalk along University to the Union patio, and from Dinan to Churchill. All of the trees and shrubs in this area have been removed, and it looks like construction will begin very soon.

In other news, the building that housed the former NDSU post office was demolished yesterday.

533 In a row

The construction fence is up for the project. It extends all the way from the sidewalk along University to the Union patio, and from Dinan to Churchill. All of the trees and shrubs in this area have been removed, and it looks like construction will begin very soon.

In other news, the building that housed the former NDSU post office was demolished yesterday.
    Between the Turf and Alumni Center?

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    Between the Turf and Alumni Center?
    Yes. More parking.

533 In a row

Yes. More parking.
    I knew that the PO closed, but I not know that the radio station moved too.