Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Week 13 Polls

Default Re: Week 13 Polls

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    I think there is another thread that showed the Big South had a 21-7 OOC record or something, which is better than the Big Sky and the CAA.
    Big South 21-7
    CAA 1-2
    IVY 1-0
    MEAC 5-0
    MVFC 0-1
    NEC 4-1
    Patriot 1-0
    Pioneer 1-0
    Southern 4-3
    Independant 3-0

Does 21-7 look really impressive when it looks like that?

How about this wins over:
    The Citadel X3 4-7
    Charlotte X3 4-6 (2 wins over D2/3 teams)
    Furman X2 3-8 with a win over Gardner-Webb
    High quality wins over teams like:
    Columbia 0-9
    Elon 1-10
    RMU 1-9
    VMI 2-9
    Del St 2-9
    Florida A & M 3-8
    Lehigh 3-7
    Norfolk 4-7
    Campbell 5-6
    Wofford 5-5

A few legit things like:
    NC A&T 9-2
    SC St 7-4
    Bryant 8-2

A win over App St and 1 point loss to Vandy as well.

But 21-7 vs blah might as well be 14-14 against quality.

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    Big South 21-7
    CAA 1-2
    IVY 1-0
    MEAC 5-0
    MVFC 0-1
    NEC 4-1
    Patriot 1-0
    Pioneer 1-0
    Southern 4-3
    Independant 3-0

Does 21-7 look really impressive when it looks like that?

How about this wins over:
    The Citadel X3 4-7
    Charlotte X3 4-6 (2 wins over D2/3 teams)
    Furman X2 3-8 with a win over Gardner-Webb
    High quality wins over teams like:
    Columbia 0-9
    Elon 1-10
    RMU 1-9
    VMI 2-9
    Del St 2-9
    Florida A & M 3-8
    Lehigh 3-7
    Norfolk 4-7
    Campbell 5-6
    Wofford 5-5

A few legit things like:
    NC A&T 9-2
    SC St 7-4
    Bryant 8-2

A win over App St and 1 point loss to Vandy as well.

But 21-7 vs blah might as well be 14-14 against quality.
    Sagarin and the like do all of this for you and bake it into the cake objectively.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    I still don't get why the local media refuses to use a poll other than the coaches...that's the biggest head scratcher to me.
    Local media is no friend of NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUDude View Post
    These polls are a joke. People are just taking out their frustrations after being dominated for years. They've been waiting for months to vote the bison down and with that loss they finally have a chance to do so.
    I remember this crap back in the DII days too.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmakesthegrassgrow View Post
    Local media is no friend of NDSU.
    Pretty sure the local media uses the coaches poll because one year they all got it in their heads that is the poll the committee likes the most. That really isn't the case but they have stuck with it.

I've been following this blog for about 4 years.. Not very active. But one thing I learned from this platform is that the coaches polls are A JOKE! They look and wins and losses only. I agree that UNI does have a temporary powerhouse in their young QB and Johnson. They are a threat. But a threat the NDSU should be able to shut down if we see them again this year. But the coaches polls have only an "influence" on playoff schedules. We also have to keep in mind the GPI rankings.. I can remember a few years ago when Georgia Southern had to come to Fargo to face the Bison in the dome. At that point, GSU was ranked higher in the coaches polls, but other factors placed the home field advantage into the hands of the Bison. The noise was incredible. They couldn't complete anything. We won and moved on to win a national title. These polls are a joke. Let the CCU billionaire coach fly his players up to Fargo in separate jets (so they can exercise in flight, as he wished last year) and get pummeled by a real FCS team as they did last year. I look forward to it! Their cockiness needs to be grounded.
    Rynomite

Getting way to obsessed with Bison Football since 2008.

I think the big mistake in the polls is they are not used to ranking a football program like NDSU, just football teams. Thus, a program like NDSU irritates them as they will dominate the division until something drastic changes.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I think the big mistake in the polls is they are not used to ranking a football program like NDSU, just football teams. Thus, a program like NDSU irritates them as they will dominate the division until something drastic changes.
    I think a little different than that. Look at teams that have winning tradition, they are more likely to start a season rated higher than say a Idaho St or some other school that is historically bad even though they may finish the season good, and have lots of the right kids coming back. Tradition is rewarded early in the polls and its easier to start high and stay there then start low/unranked and get there.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    When was the last time we had a run like this? 80s right? The angst if any would have been created recently.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    I think a little different than that. Look at teams that have winning tradition, they are more likely to start a season rated higher than say a Idaho St or some other school that is historically bad even though they may finish the season good, and have lots of the right kids coming back. Tradition is rewarded early in the polls and its easier to start high and stay there then start low/unranked and get there.
    Can't disagree, but I also don't see my point as mutually exclusive as I am referring to more later in the season. Let's be frank, there is no objective way NDSU is less than #2. It really is that simple.