Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Augie may be looking at D-I

BisonMav Guest

Default Re: Augie may be looking at D-I

Quote Originally Posted by RodentiaX
    I don't know where they would get the money either. But they could if they get the donors. I think they are just making sure they've looked at all their options in case the NCC goes under.
    If the went non-scholarship in football, there's the scholaship money right there.

Quote Originally Posted by RodentiaX
    Just a matter of money. If they can fund a D-I program, they would hardly be the only private school of their size in D-I.

Winona State would not be out of place in D-I, they have a good football program, and a D-II champion basketball team and an enrollment of over 8,000.

Geographically at least, Duluth would make a good D-I contender.
    It takes a lot more than athletic success to make a successful jump to DI (most namely money, money and money)....

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBisonToo
    I guess I don't see what the big deal is if another school in the area - besides the two current and one probable - want to look into the DI thing.?.? :-? *There are a number of schools that aren't that large and, IMHO, probably shouldn't be in DI, but they are.

Take for instance, I remember a couple of years back when Georgia State University made the NCAAs in mens BB. *I actually have a colleague who is a professor down there. *While in Atlanta for a conference one year, we went to visit her and got to tour the "campus" - if you can call it that. *I don't know what the student population is down there but you want to talk about a commuter school, GSU's picture is in the dictionary next to that term. *Their gymnasium is horrific! *It might hold a couple of hundred "fans." *Yet, they are in DI and made it to the tourney. *If Augie or SCSU or even Winona would ever want to go DI, why not? *You need to remember that not all schools are in it to compete in FB as is NDSUs bread and butter. *If Augie can field a decent team in BB or softball, play good competition - whatever conference they could get into - and have fan support, why not?

For people to look at other schools and say they shouldn't do it is no different than what fans at UND were saying about NDSU just a few years back. *People on this board bitched about it then, why should we stoop to the same level now?

Personally, if Augie wants to go DI and can get the support of their alumni and the city of Sioux Falls, wonderful. *I doubt they'd be in the same league as say NDSU and SDSU in terms of FB but there is no reason that someday they couldn't be good in BB or softball or volleyball. *Maybe some of us Bison fans are a little scared of comepetition? *
    I don't think it has anything to do with "Bison fans being scared of competition". When the wannabe's to the north were clamoring about NDSU's move it was out of jealousy and hatred. When folks (no matter where they are from) comment on Augie or Winona or the wannabes up to the north its more a matter of practicality. Funding is just part of the equation. I don't want to see schools such as Augie or any other who are not fully commited (und) attempt to make the move. Otherwise we will just end up with the same folks who let DII become the watered down division it is now move up and dilute the DI (AA for football) division. Say what you want about competition but one thing NDSU unlike some others in this area has never shyed away from competition and the fans have always supported scheduling the best. Maybe that's why many don't want to see schools who were dragged into DI kicking and screaming not move up or at least not be on NDSU's schedule. We moved up to be with our peer institutions not with schools who "had to move up because they had no other choice".

kchats Guest

What is the impetus for Augie and the other NCC schools looking at division I? Is it because the institution feels division I is where they belong. Is it because they are fearful of their athletic programs spiraling downward due to the diluting of division II? No they are looking at division I because the NCC is crumbling around them due to NDSU, SDSU, UNC and possibly UND moving to division I. If you aren't doing it for the right reason why do it? They better spend their money on an outside and impartial consultant to study the move for them to make sure they can do it and that it is where they belong.

DIBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by kchats
    What is the impetus for Augie and the other NCC schools looking at division I? *Is it because the institution feels division I is where they belong. *Is it because they are fearful of their athletic programs spiraling downward due to the diluting of division II? *No they are looking at division I because the NCC is crumbling around them due to NDSU, SDSU, UNC and possibly UND moving to division I. *If you aren't doing it for the right reason why do it? *They better spend their money on an outside and impartial consultant to study the move for them to make sure they can do it and that it is where they belong.
    All of that is true beginning with UND and the other NCC schools now considering such a move. And this is what NDSU said in 2002 and these other schools are finally getting it four years later!!