Thread: Should the B1G reconsider its FCS ban?

Default Should the B1G reconsider its FCS ban?

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...er-its-fcs-ban

Pretty nifty post on some trepidation UofM and Iowa's ADs are having on the FCS ban. NDSU and UNI in particular get some nice run.

But not everyone is thrilled about the Big Ten's FCS ban. Iowa athletic director Gary Barta and Minnesota AD Norwood Teague are somewhat reluctant about the league's new policy. And they have understandable reasons to be a bit resistant. They're called Northern Iowa and North Dakota State.
    One problem with league-wide scheduling policies is that they can be countered with specific examples. Most FCS teams can't compete with Big Ten opponents, and the recent results back this up. But a handful of FCS teams, many located in or near the Big Ten's footprint, can hold their own. They provide early season challenges equal to or better than those from lower-level FBS opponents.

North Dakota State certainly qualifies. The Bison have won the past two FCS national championships. They have beaten an FBS team in each of the past three seasons, including Minnesota in 2011. They're 6-3 against the FBS since 2006.

Northern Iowa hasn't had as much FBS success -- just one win since 2001 -- but the Panthers gave Wisconsin all it could handle in the 2012 opener and nearly knocked off Iowa, the eventual Orange Bowl champion, in the 2009 opener. UNI has won 10 or more games in seven of the past eight seasons.

There are other examples like North Dakota State and Northern Iowa, including many in the Midwest. North Dakota State is No. 1 in Lindy's magazine's preseason FCS poll, while South Dakota State (No. 4), Northern Iowa (No. 13), Eastern Illinois (No. 18), Youngstown State (No. 19) and Illinois State (No. 22) also made the Top 25. These are good teams despite their FCS designation. Michigan fans still shudder when FCS Appalachian State is mentioned, but the Appy State team that upset Michigan in 2007 was much, much better than the FBS Toledo squad Michigan inexplicably lost to in 2008.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

devin45k is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Should the B1G reconsider its FCS ban?

Decent article and Bison props
    The fella that watches the CFL

It's a good article but old news. Was written back in June I believe.

Good article, but this will happen soon so the bigs playing FCS teams will no longer happen (as I posted in another thread):

Actually the schedule for separating the "Big Heads" (as I like to call them) from the rest of NCAA football will accelerate after NDSU beats Kansas State. Does anyone think top FBS teams want their fans to believe some puny FCS team can beat them? What better than to break things off soon and prevent a game like this from ever happening again. Just a shame. I really believe the talent levels from top to bottom of all DI have been compressed over the past 10 years. I also like to believe that the game of football involves more than just pure talent........that teamwork, dedication and desire have a bit to do with the outcome of the game. In these days of individual player worship in team sports..........to make these guys even more spoiled based on their perceived individual worth cannot be good for the game in the long run. In my opinion these gifted athletes are so hung up on themselves that they don't always improve the team as much a they could. This is where teams that have more desire and teamwork can upset the individual focused teams. Again, putting all the Big Heads together in their money making heaven without challenge will make them college football Gods, but once the stage is set maybe image will become more important than performance. Spoiled doesn't mean better. Are these guys professionals or college athletes?

It will neverwin happen. They pretend it comes down to tv money. What is a bigger tv draw? NDSU vs Minnesota or Toledo vs Minnesota? I would imagine we are no less attractive than low level FBS or at least equal. I've said all along I think the losses to MVFC teams hurt the reputation if the Big Ten. Everyone knows NDSU is a tougher opponent than a bad FBS team but a loss makes the league look bad. If the Gophers lose yo Toledo, the perception is they lost to an FBS team. If they lose to South Dakota, fans and media want the coaches head on a stick. It's similar to the reason the NBA is going away from preseason games vs international teams. When the Boston Celtics lose, the league loses its invincible luster. Its all about image.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

The line in the article that says something like "these are good teams despite the FCS designation" says it all.

The need to EXPLAIN that is the reason for the scheduling policy.

It was a pleasant surprise to finally see an article on this issue get it right. I really do think Mn would like to continue games with UNI and SDSU since they could beat them, get a better test than a MAC school, and probably draw more fans. I do have a feeling they were done scheduling NDSU, however, since they are supposed to win those games....