Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Some game analysis needed

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Agree on Perles from previous post.

As for Vigen, I would like to see him be able to make adjustments during the game/on his feet, so to speak. The Indiana State game is a good example. Clearly they gave us a defensive look that we did not prepare for or that we were not prepared for (I doub't we only planned to score 14 and not be able to run the ball effectively), yet I did not see adjustments (dumping to RB's would be an example). In all of our other games, we were clearly more athletic and an all around better team, but that was not so against ISU-Blue. Also, I would like to see him set up more plays rather than just calling them at a given moment. The single or double reverses are an example of that-->they should not just come out of the blue unless there is clear over-pursuit occurring. Also, there have been several times he has rolled Brock to the left (away from his throwing arm if you will) in key situations. That is not putting Brock in a very good position to make a throw. So, the long and the short of it is, Vigen is a serviceable OC when we are the dominant team athletically, but when we are tested, whether because the other team matches up with us well or because we are not playing well, then he seems to me to be average at best, and appears to just go to his default plays, whether they are working or not, and whether or not those plays are correct for the defensive look we are getting.

That all said, I could be dead-ass wrong, and he perhaps is a very good OC, and I just don't know what I am talking about. It could be that he takes our base offense, tweeks it week-in and week-out, and we are winning games by just keeping things simple. I concede that is a distinct possibility, and that I am being over-critical--but I am entitled to my own opinion the last time I checked.
    I completely agree as it is something I have said before. There is very little in-game adjustment by the offense when things are not going so well.

It seems when opponents stay in their predicted set and style, the Bison offense rocks. Throw the offense a curve and it feels like they just keep trying to jam that square peg in a round hole. When defenses take something away from the offense, something else opens up. The players have always been willing to work outside their comfort zone. See last year's playoff run. Three completely different opposing offenses with three similar outcomes. Our offense should be as willing as the defense to accept trying something different.

When I see in game adjustments by our OC, I will be convinced he has also taken a huge stride towards leaving all doubt behind. Until then, when your realm of control is good but the weakest link in the offense/defense/special teams triangle, he will only be as good as the players around him. Again, the defense is a sum of its parts and is a very adaptable machine. The offense needs to show the same aptitude and ability to adapt.

Default Re: Some game analysis needed

That all said, I could be dead-ass wrong, and he perhaps is a very good OC, and I just don't know what I am talking about. It could be that he takes our base offense, tweeks it week-in and week-out, and we are winning games by just keeping things simple. I concede that is a distinct possibility, and that I am being over-critical--but I am entitled to my own opinion the last time I checked.
    Definitely you are entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to my opinion about your opinion.

Perles was really good, but three of the worst offensive performances I've ever seen from a Bison team occurred under his watch. And, of course, 2007 was a great offensive year - almost 40 points per game. On the other hand, the 22 turnovers NDSU gave up that season was terrible.

So far in 2012, the offense is putting up more points and turning the ball over significantly less than the 2007 offense - if they continue like they've been, NDSU will do fine because Vigen's offensive scheme complements the defense very well.

When NDSU doesn't do well on offense, it's going to be the same thing that all offenses run into from time to time: Poor execution and/or a good defense. Playcalling is waaaaay down the list.

Heck, USD apparently called every play in their playbook last weekend and, if anything, it made things worse for them. NDSU doesn't work that way - it's never going to be "let's throw out the playbook and go wildcat" - adjustments are going to be subtle. Why? Because Coach Bohl's philosophy is that you ride the horse that brung ya and, more specifically, that you are most likely to succeed when you run the plays your team executes the best. The plays teams execute the best are the ones they run the most.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Definitely you are entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to my opinion about your opinion.

The plays teams execute the best are the ones they run the most.
    That reminds me of my HS coach. When being interviewed by the sportswriter for the Thief River Falls paper after little Mahnomen kicked their asses all over the field he was asked: "Coach, you have been running the same offense for years, and have run it again this year week-in and week-out, aren't you ever afraid the other teams are gonna know what you are doing"? Response: "I just want to make damn sure my kids know what they are doing"!!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Because Coach Bohl's philosophy is that you ride the horse that brung ya and, more specifically, that you are most likely to succeed when you run the plays your team executes the best.
    So, are you suggesting that Vigen is being shackled by Bohl?!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

So, are you suggesting that Vigen is being shackled by Bohl?!
    No, I'm pretty sure that Coach Vigen buys into the same philosophy.

I wouldn't expect anything different no matter who the OC is at NDSU though.

No, I'm pretty sure that Coach Vigen buys into the same philosophy.

I wouldn't expect anything different no matter who the OC is at NDSU though.
    Are you saying Vigen = Bohl and Bohl = Vigen? Holy shit. You just blew my mind. Which explains why Bohl hasn't fired him. He can't fire himself! What a twist! This is right up there with Keyser Sosa was Kevin Spacey the whole time!
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Perles was really good, but three of the worst offensive performances I've ever seen from a Bison team occurred under his watch. And, of course, 2007 was a great offensive year - almost 40 points per game. On the other hand, the 22 turnovers NDSU gave up that season was terrible.

So far in 2012, the offense is putting up more points and turning the ball over significantly less than the 2007 offense - if they continue like they've been, NDSU will do fine because Vigen's offensive scheme complements the defense very well.

When NDSU doesn't do well on offense, it's going to be the same thing that all offenses run into from time to time: Poor execution and/or a good defense. Playcalling is waaaaay down the list.

Heck, USD apparently called every play in their playbook last weekend and, if anything, it made things worse for them. NDSU doesn't work that way - it's never going to be "let's throw out the playbook and go wildcat" - adjustments are going to be subtle. Why? Because Coach Bohl's philosophy is that you ride the horse that brung ya and, more specifically, that you are most likely to succeed when you run the plays your team executes the best. The plays teams execute the best are the ones they run the most.
    I agree, in my mind Vigens play calling is just fine. And some food for thought for the people who think his play calling is predictable. Didn't the Bison run the veer/option offense all through the 80's and early 90's. So didn't they basically run 80% of the time. And the extent of their running was what.......5 basic plays: sweep to the left or right with pitch option, off tackle left or right, and straight up the middle. Now that to me sounds like very predictable football. Now I wasn't a fan back in those days, but last time I looked up in the rafters of the dome, I see indications that worked out pretty well. All comes down to execution and even if the other team knows what's coming you can still pull it off.
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

Quote Originally Posted by TennBison View Post
    I agree, in my mind Vigens play calling is just fine. And some food for thought for the people who think his play calling is predictable. Didn't the Bison run the veer/option offense all through the 80's and early 90's. So didn't they basically run 80% of the time. And the extent of their running was what.......5 basic plays: sweep to the left or right with pitch option, off tackle left or right, and straight up the middle. Now that to me sounds like very predictable football. Now I wasn't a fan back in those days, but last time I looked up in the rafters of the dome, I see indications that worked out pretty well. All comes down to execution and even if the other team knows what's coming you can still pull it off.
    That is all fine and dandy IF the plays work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by TennBison View Post
    So your a bandwagon jumper who is a Bison fan now only because they are doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    That is all fine and dandy IF the plays work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    It is obvious that the plays work, or didn't you see the national championship banners.